I'll Help You

Memories of Memories

Infinite “Paradise”

***********

Tao’s POV~

Eunjae trailed quietly behind me when I walked into the office, the door making a slight creaking sound before stopping.

“You wished to see us?” I called timidly, quite intimidated by the principle’s presence. He nodded with his hands crossed and folded over the large wooden desk and ushered for us both to sit.

Eunjae sat by the window and I sat beside her. The principle had several files laid out in front of him and after what seemed like a few minutes, he looked at Eunjae and said,

“You have no recollection of this year’s academics, is that correct?” Eunjae seemed quite shocked at his question but I stood still, already knowing what’s to come.

“Y-yes sir.” She replied embarrassed, her head hung low.

He looked her over and sighed, leaning against his plush leather chair before saying,

“This school only offers its scholarship program to those who show exceptional talent or ability. We have taken you in Miss Park because of your unwavering 4.1 GPA. If you are not able to hold onto that title by the end of this year, we have no choice but to withdraw you from the school.”

I saw her eyes widen in horror, her skin going a few shades paler as if all the blood drained from her face, and her bottom lip trying to cease itself from quivering.

She gulped and nodded her head curtly,

“I understand.” We were both about to leave when he said,

“Mr. Huang, I assume you have your performance prepared in advance?” I stopped in my track, Eunjae almost colliding into me.

“No sir, I wasn’t informed I was to perform anything.” I replied, looking back at him. He sighed in annoyance as if his patience grew thinner and thinner with my presence and he said,

“Each student is to showcase a performance or take a final. Miss Park is to take a final for the end of the year and you are to perform your talent of Wushu. Your performance does not have a time frame and may be as long or short as you see fit, however it must be long enough to show your ability and why you are a student at Seoul Academy. The showcase is to be held within a few more days, make sure you don’t come empty handed or you will suffer the same consequences that Miss Park is under.”

I stood there trying to already plan a schedule and act. I have to make sure that I’ll be able to help out Eunjae and think up of some performance.

“That is all.” The principle said, dismissing us.

“Tao?” Eunjae called me from below, throwing my mind back into reality and away from my thoughts.

“Coming.” I replied back.

I grabbed my old notebook from my room and began descending the stairs, looking at Eunjae’s back hunched over her own notebook she finished in the beginning of the year.

She was looking through every page, scanning every word to make sure it would all be tattooed into her memory.

“Hey, I thought some of my notes might help since we have some of the same teachers.” I said handing her my notebook. She thanked me and placed it next to her as she continued to scan the unfamiliar pages that I’ve seen her write in countless times. Her face showed concentration but deep down inside I knew she was confused.

“I don’t remember writing any of this…but I know this is my handwriting.” She muttered. I didn’t know what to say, seeing as I’ve never even gone through with such a thing. Thank goodness she can still remember everything photographically, but I just find it odd how she doesn’t remember any of the school material she’s aced already.

“Sometimes memories are shut off because they have been traumatizing, unimportant, or were just wanted to be forgotten by the person.”

The doctor’s words haunted me and I asked her,

“Eunjae what was the last thing you remember?” She looked up at me and stared up at the ceiling, trying to decipher her thoughts and answered me,

“The day right before we started school, I remember checking over my bag to see if I had everything.”

My jaw clenched unknowingly and it hit me. Of course that would be the last memory; it was the day right before she met Kai. So the doctor was right in a sense.

This wasn’t the time to think of such things, seeing as we only had some weeks to try and get Eunjae to remember the material she should already know since the start of the year.

“Do you get all of it so far?” I asked her, looking down at the page she’s stopped at.

“Yeah it’s just…” She began but I looked up and saw her rubbing her temples with her eyes shut. I gave her a look of pity, knowing that she pushed herself too far this time. Of course I don’t expect her to know all of the year’s material in one day, yet I guess she expected herself to do just that.

I pushed back the wooden chair and stood up, holding out a hand to her.

“Come on, you need to take a break.”