Aren't You Happy For Me?

Memories of Memories

4Minute’s “Pretend”

**************

Eunjae’s POV~

It was well past dark but I didn’t have a care in the world as I hopped off the bus, and skipped down the familiar streets. The street lights were already on and it felt like each one was a spotlight as I spun a little, pretending to be a ballerina, at every spot the light shone on. The neighbors were already inside their houses but the few that were outside, gave me the weirdest of looks. But I didn’t care; my mind was too occupied by the day’s events.

I was a couple of blocks away from the house as I saw its window lights shining brightly, giving off a welcoming feel. I jogged towards the familiar porch and turned the knob, already knowing the door was open. The warmth greeted my cold cheeks from the cool autumn air and there was a delicious aroma coming in from the kitchen.

I barely managed to take off my jacket before some of the kids decided to tackle me as they shouted,

“Eunjae-unnie’s back home!” I was nearly tackled by a herd of toddlers but somehow managed to stand upright as my back leaned against the door for support.

“Hey kiddos, did you all do your homework?” They all nodded and ran off into the kitchen, their hunger far more important and impossible to ignore. I slung my back pack over my shoulder and walked up the stairs, each step making a creaking sound from the aged hardwood.

I reached the second floor and was in front of my shared bedroom when Tao’s door opened as his head stuck in through his room.

“Hey you’re home.” He said and followed me inside the shared room. We almost always spend our time at the lake, in his room, or mine as we try to escape reality…or at least the chaos of the kids running around downstairs.

I walked into my room and found it empty, no sign of my roommate. It seemed like Amber-unnie won’t be coming home yet again, probably out at karaoke like usual with the rest of her crew.

I tossed my bag to the corner of the room and slid onto my computer chair, spinning around in it and dangling my feet. Tao walked in a few seconds after me as he sat down on the edge of my bed.

“I take it something good happened, seeing as you’re humming as well?” Tao acknowledged. I didn’t even realize it but I was indeed humming SNSD’s “Oh!” coming up on the chorus.

I debated whether to break the promise of keeping it a secret, but I knew I could trust Tao with everything. So I jumped out of my chair and hopped onto my bed, its springs bouncing Tao a little off the edge from my impact. I was lying flat on my stomach and rested my head on my propped elbows, staring up at Tao’s sitting figure.

“So, what happened?” He asked the question I was dying for him to ask.

Tao’s POV~

“Kai said he liked me and asked me to be his girlfriend!” Eunjae squealed into her pillow as she began rolling around on her bed. Her feet were kicking at the air and she had a joyous eye smile plastered onto her face.

My jaw tightened and I felt as if all of my emotions drained from my face. I didn’t want to invade her privacy in any way, but I couldn’t help but feel angered be suspicious of this.

“Ne Eunjae, don’t you find it weird how you guys only met yesterday and he already made such a big move?” She stopped rolling and looked at me, her eyes looking at me accusingly.

“What do you mean?” I bit down on my bottom lip, not wanting to anger her and turn this into a fight.

“Well, how much do you even know about the guy?” She sat up and looked at me as I felt her voice rising,

“I know enough to know that I like him back. Why are you interrogating me Tao? I thought you’d be happy for me…” Her voice trailed off as she looked down at her hands. At first she had full control and anger in her tone but she went back to being a little kid you can never stay mad at.

Why are you so worried about her? She’s right, you should be happy for her.

I sighed softly and ruffled her head, telling her,

“Mianhe Eunjae, just a little tired from today. But I am happy for you. Just make sure I meet this guy one day. Arasso?” She looked up at me as a smile replaced her previous look. She gave me an eager nod and said,

“I can’t wait for you to meet, I hope you’ll both be good friends. Maybe you guys know each other; he’s a senior and his name’s Kai.”

I tensed up at the name but quickly shook the thought away. That name can be pretty common and I hope highly doubt that that’s the same Kai I saw that time in front of the lunchroom.

I nodded at Eunjae and got up,

“I have some homework left to finish.”

“Oh ok, can you close the door behind you so I can change?” Eunjae said, heading for her shared closet. I nodded and shut the door behind me and just stood there, my hand still holding onto the door knob.

I sighed out loud and slumped down towards the carpet floor, bowing my head into my knees.

How is it that you just met a guy, and he already has you?

I should be happy for you…right?

Yet I wasn’t entirely convinced. What am I supposed to do? Bounce into her room and tell her that I hate the fact that she’s already someone else’s?

Of course not. That’s not what a knight does when his princess is already with another prince.

I shook the thought away in anger and got up, walking towards my room only a few doors down. I shut the door behind me and stared up at the ceiling, its cracks longer than what they were when I first got this room. How long has it been since Eunjae and I both came to this place?

I only walked away from my door a few inches when it re-opened, its wooden frame hitting my back.

“S-sorry! I didn’t know you were standing there.” Eunjae said as she pulled back the door just a bit. She had her hair tied up into a messy bun, her small frame hidden behind loose sweat pants and a simple tank top as her glasses still slid down her perfect ski-slope nose.

“It’s ok, what’s up?” I asked, opening the door entirely to let her in.

“Umma made samgyetang.” She said with enthusiasm. If there’s anything Miss Kwon knows how to do, is make an amazing bowl of samgyetang. My mouth watered at the thought of it but I looked back at my desk, its wooden surface completely covered with books and papers from today’s work.

Eunjae looked at where my gaze followed and grabbed me by the arm, pulling me downstairs as the soup’s aroma entered my sense of smell.

“I’ll help you with your homework later, let’s go enjoy the food.”

I could never say no to Eunjae, especially when Miss Kwon’s samgyetang was sitting in front of me as everyone else dug right in.

samgyetang.jpg

**********

For those of you who don’t know what samgyetang is, it’s this amazing Korean soup that has chicken (literally, a whole chicken) in it stuffed with sweet rice and occasionally garlic or anything else you prefer. If you guys ever go to Korea, I really recommend that you try this <3