Classes & Rankings

Memories of Memories

Block B’s “Nanrina” | NU’EST’s “Face”

****************

Eunjae’s POV~

“Come on Eunjae.” Tao led me away from the parking lot, dragging me by the arm. His face still fresh in my memory, making absolutely sure it’ll never leave my thoughts. I took note on him. His friends didn’t even mention his name; I just knew his appearance.

Who was that guy?

I couldn’t help but cover my mouth as a smile began to spread.

He was my prince charming. I found him.

The chime rang around the campus, signaling that first period will soon commence in five minutes.

“Crap we’re late.” Tao muttered under his breath and we ran to the school’s office building, making sure to not step on the lawn whose sprinklers began pelting nearby students with water.

Tao’s POV~

I held open the door for Eunjae as we stepped inside the silent office building; the only sounds heard are the faculty typing away at their keyboard. One woman looked up from her computer and stood up, approaching us. She folded her arms on top of the polished granite table and asked in a stern voice,

“Shouldn’t you be in class by now?” Eunjae replied,

“I’m sorry ma’am but we’re newly transferred students and we were told here to pick up our class schedules.” The lady sighed and dug through some drawers, taking out a thick binder stuffed with papers. After she flipped through a couple of pages she asked for our names.

“Huang Tao.”

“Park Eunjae.”

Her finger scanned through some pages before she came to a halt and looked up, giving us a peculiar look. She shook her head and went to her computer. After a few minutes, 2 pages came out of the nearby printer and she handed each of us a page along with a school policy and student code of conduct booklet and brochure.

“Your class schedules are on the page. If you have any questions or concerns regarding your roster, I advise you to check it over with your counselor or the roster room. Have a good day.”

She said and went back to her seat behind the computer screen. We took it as our cue to leave but just as we were heading out of the door, she managed to say,

“Welcome to Seoul Academy.”

Eunjae’s POV~

“What a prick. Do you think all of our teachers are like that?” I asked Tao. This school and its atmosphere is entirely different from our old one. The teachers were more open and friendly back then, now it’s as if every one of them hates every student equally.

Tao shrugged his shoulders. I looked above the room’s doors, looking at the room numbers when I found mine.

I came to a halt and showed Tao that this is my stop.

“Good luck.” I said and he gave me a faint smile before he continued to search for his own classroom.

I was a mess of emotions; ranging from excitement to horror, thrill to anxiety, and from jumping for joy to running to puke in the bathroom. I took a deep breath and turned the door handle.

I almost ran out when the entire class’s eyes fell on me. I forced my feet to move as I walked up to the teacher. He was in the middle of writing something on the promethean board (wow, our old school had a simple black board and could barely afford paper, and this school has an electronic board in each classroom? Fancy.) and stopped as he looked me over.

“Are you Miss Park?” He asked in an ancient and scruffy voice. I found myself nodding as he looked over his desk. He scanned a few papers before handing me a packet and said,

“Since this is your first day I will only let you off with a warning but remember this,” he emphasized, yet I didn’t need to be told twice to remember something, “if you are late again, don’t bother coming into my class at all. There’s a seat in the back next to Mr. Oh.

Mr. Oh will you please raise your hand?” I looked towards the back and saw a boy raise his hand. I bowed to the teacher and tried to avoid the piercing eyes as I scurried to the back of the class.

“What a loser.

“Wonder how that tramp got in our school.”

“Where’d she get her clothes, a thrift store? Ugh!”

I only pushed my glasses up to the bridge of my nose, trying hard to stifle my emotions. You’d think that with a new school and a new start, things would be different. But nonetheless, people judge you wherever you are.

I sat next to Mr. Oh and took out a notebook and pencil to write down notes.

We were twenty minutes into class when I felt someone tug on my braid.

“How cute, you still wear pig-tails.” I noticed it was Mr. Oh who was mocking me. I decided to ignore it but after the nth tug, I couldn’t stay still. I took back my braid and whispered,

“Mr. Oh can you please leave me alone?” I didn’t want to cause trouble but I found it hard taking notes when my head was pulled to the side by my hair. He smirked and said,

“Aw how cute, call me Se Hun. And sorry I can’t, you just became my new play toy in this class little Miss four-eyes.”

“My name’s Eunjae, not Miss four-eyes.” I replied shyly, not wanting that nickname. He only stared at a loose thread on his cuff and replied in a nonchalant voice,

“Nope, you’re Miss four-eyes.” Great. So this is how my school year’s going to start.

Tao’s POV~

I found my classroom on the second floor, grateful that I didn’t have to search the entire school for my English class. I turned the brass handle and stepped inside, greeted by dead silence.

The teacher looked up from his book and approached me, asking how he can help me.

“I’m part of this class.” I said, handing him my roster. One of my hands was resting inside my pocket as the other hung loosely at my side, waiting for him to hand me back my paper. He looked over it and checked his roll sheet before handing me back the paper along with a pink paper.

That is for being tardy, one hour detention after school.” He spoke, not looking at me. I gave him a silent glare, knowing that this was absurd. Yet he seemed to think otherwise as he ignored my concern.

“There’s a seat next to Mr. Kim. Let me tell you that this is the only time you will hear me speaking in Korean, this is an advanced language class and I will speak nothing but English. Do you understand?” He asked me the last part in English and I nodded. I walked a couple rows down before seeing a friendly guy waving his hand at me, pointing to an empty chair next to him.

I avoided everyone’s looks when I sat down. Mr. Kim whispered to me,

“I’m Chen, nice to meet ya.” I simply replied with my name. I’m not here to really make a group of friends, so I don’t bother to talk or start conversations with others. After a while they all get the hint.

But looks like with Chen it won’t be much of a problem, after the short introduction we didn’t talk the rest of the period. I guess he just wanted to get a brief intro knowing that I’ll be sitting next to him for the school year.

As soon as the bell rang, I gathered my stuff and was about to exit when a guy blocked the door.

He cocked his head to the side, oozing the air or a rich kid. Tch, I hate these bastards.

He smirked and held out a hand,

“I’m Su Ho, the leader of EXO-K.” I never heard of the group and figured it was just some label name they came up with. I didn’t bother shaking his hand, knowing not to get involved with these kinds of cocky kids.

He squinted his eyes and took back his hand, trying hard not to show his annoyance that I just rejected his approach.

“Tough guy eh? That’s cool, the girls love that. How about you sit at our table tomorrow?” He leaned in and touched the edge of my collar and smirked as if he just discovered something new,

“Or how about you sit with us after you buy some real clothing. This isn’t even Egyptian silk.” He smirked and his friends seemed to think it was funny.

Suddenly Chen stepped up and said,

“Sorry, we don’t all have our parents buy our clothes for us like little kiddies.” Su Ho glared at him, but then a playful smirk spread.

“Oh, looks like the newby already made lunch dates with the pig pen charity group, EXO-M.” Su Ho looked past Chen and winked at me. I felt my jaw tighten as he and his group walked past me, one of them bumping Chen.

He sighed out and scratched his nape, saying,

“Sorry about them, they’re always like that.” Why is he apologizing for them? I looked back but EXO-K was already gone. Curiosity got the best of me and I asked Chen who they were. He scoffed and said,

“That’s EXO-K, the academy’s famous flower boys. They think they run the school just cause their parents are loaded with cash. And I’m guessing that you’re smart enough to figure out that this school runs on money. If you have a whole lot of it, you’re instantly labeled as the cool kid. If not, you’re known as the door mat everyone steps on and wipes their shoes off of.” I nodded and another guy popped into the room asking,

“Yo Chen, you and your friend wanna go grab a bite?” Chen looked at me and asked,

“You up for it?” I wasn’t really too thrilled about the idea of going with these strangers to eat with, even though they were kind and friendly.

I’ll keep them in mind but I shook my head, looking down at my roster seeing that it’s not even my lunch period. I had a few more minutes to get to my next class as I left the room. Chen quickly walked up to me and said,

“You’re always welcome at our lunch table, just thought I’d let you know.” Before he sped off and caught up with his other friends. It took me a few seconds to register why I didn’t hate them, why they seemed so different from the rest of the stuck up kids in the school.

I examined them a little closely as they walked off, noticing the smallest details.

One of the kids suit didn’t fit him right, one of the kid’s shoes looked a little tattered, one of the guy’s had a book bag that looked as if he’s been using it the majority of his life, and one of them was wearing a watch that didn’t look like it came from an expensive brand but a department store.

I turned around and began searching for my next class, but I was content with the idea that Eunjae and I aren’t the only ones.

They aren’t rich, they’re normal.

***************

Yippee, some more characters from both EXO-K and EXO-M are being revealed :D