You Knew ...

Memories of Memories

Secret “Empty Space”

***********

Tao’s POV~

I was pacing the room back and forth, Miss Kwon finally sighing in exasperation and saying,

“Tao, Eunjae’s not a little girl anymore. She’ll come home soon so stop pacing around like a dog waiting for its owner.” She stood up from the couch and headed upstairs to her room. Thunder began to cackle outside and I know she didn’t bring an umbrella. I finally gave in and whipped out my phone. I was in the middle of dialing her number when I heard the keys going into the door as the door was unlocked and its creak was heard signaling someone was coming in. The door shut behind her and I saw Eunjae standing in the hallway.

She managed to come in right before the rain officially started and I sighed in relief. I tried to act natural and said,

“Hey you missed dinner.” As soon as I saw her I could tell something was clearly wrong. Her facial expression showed so much confusion and disbelief, as if she was trying to process something unimaginable.

“Eunjae?” I asked her, walking closer to her. She didn’t move and that frightened me even more. I was standing right in front of her and gently grabbed her shoulders as if stabilizing her, trying to look at her eyes and hoping she’d do the same.

“Eunjae what’s wrong?” Out of habit I lifted my hand up to touch her forehead for a fever.

SLAP!

My hand barely made any contact with her face before hers shot up and slapped mine away.