I Shouldn’t, But How Can I?

Memories of Memories

SungGyu (Infinite) “Because” | Maydoni ft. 2AM JoKwon & JinWoo “Molla-Ing”

**********

Eunjae’s POV~

I needed a breath of fresh air and stepped outside in the chilly evening, wrapping my cardigan closer around my body. The sun was still up and I figured it wouldn’t be too bad to walk around a little.

My feet automatically ended up walking into the forest out of habit, my body and mind already knowing where I’d end up.

I kicked a nearby stone every couple of steps until I stopped a couple of yards away from an opening. There, training as hard as ever was Tao, kicking and punching at the air with all his might, his face in full concentration, his body in complete control and focus.

It never ceased to amaze me how amazing he could really be. I just wish he’d show his better side more often to people rather than scare them off.

He was in the middle of holding out one of his kicks, balancing on one foot when all of a sudden…he sneezed and fell back.

I couldn’t help but giggle and give myself away, walking into the clearing in full view.

“Yah what do you think you’re laughing at?” He asked, a smile already foreshadowing onto his face. He pretended to lunge at me and I quickly dodged him, throwing a light punch at his cheek.

“Look at that, I taught you well.” He said, feigning injury as he cupped his jaw.

I sat down on a nearby rock and tossed him his towel and water bottle. He took a big gulp of half of the bottle and rested the towel on his shoulders.

“So what brings you out here?” He asked as he plopped down next to me, one leg resting on the rock while the other was firmly on the rocky ground.

“I just wanted some fresh air and I was curious as to where you always run off to.” I replied, already knowing full-well that he would always be here if anything. He nodded in agreement, as if we exchanged an inside thought without saying anything.

“Can you believe how much time has passed?” I asked, sounding completely ancient. It’s just one of those moments where you wish time would freeze and you could savor the moment around you, wishing you could never grow old again.

Tao nodded and turned to look at me,

“You sound like an ahjumma.” He joked and I playfully slapped him.

“Way to kill a serious moment.” I and he ruffled the top of my head apologizing. The wind suddenly picked up and a bunch of dandelions blew in it, their millions of tiny white seeds flying towards us.

Tao sneezed a second time and shook his hair, still soaked from the sweating, trying to shake off the little white buds that attacked us.

I combed the majority of them out of my hair and brushed them off my clothes. I was picking off the last one when I looked up and locked eyes with Tao.

“Hold still…” he whispered and his hand reached out towards my face. Instinctively I shut my eyes tight and I felt some of my hairs being pulled. I opened one eye and saw Tao pulling out two of the seeds from my hair.

I blushed at the contact and realized how close we were, his face no more than a foot away from my own and our hands only a few centimeters away from one another.

I wasn’t sure if it was me or him who started leaning in but all I knew was that the distance was closing in between us, our faces inching closer and closer.

My heart was ready to leap out of my chest, its concessive beats already punching my rib cage. His face was so close that I could already smell his cologne and faint sweat.

But as soon as it happened, it vanished just as quick. Tao stopped moving and I wasn’t sure what was going on. His head bowed down as his matted hair covered his eyes, his expression unreadable when he said,

“It’s getting cold out, let’s go back in.”

Tao’s POV~

My heart was still racing and I quickly turned my back to her, hoping to hide my bright red face. I stood up from the rock and began walking, my feet barely able to hold me up.

Were we really about to…

I tried shaking the thought away, even though my inner conscience was doing flips off the walls.

I began walking back to the house but I couldn’t get the thought out of my head. I covered my mouth with my right hand the moment a smile spilled, trying to hide it from Eunjae.

But realization soon hit and guilt washed over me. How could I even consider pushing this kind of idea onto Eunjae when she has so much to juggle already? Her finals are coming up and the last thing I need on her mind is this.

But you want her to think of you, don’t you?

She still has yet to regain all of her memories and then there’s the set-back of Kai. How will she react when I’ve practically been lying to her and keeping him away?

Just kick his again and you’re good. Besides, keeping him away from her is best for her.

The little devil on my right shoulder was giving me a thumbs up sign as I brushed off the imaginary demon. Who am I to decide what’s best for her?

It took so much strength to stop and resist her, if it were to happen again I know I’d have no self-restraint left in me to stop a second time.

If that happens again is a big maybe, you already blew this chance.

“Achoo!” I sneezed and sniffled, feeling slightly chilly from the cool evening air. Eunjae ran up next to me and asked,

“Tao are you sick?” I shook my head no, trying to push away any more thoughts on the matter and we both walked inside the welcoming house, right on time for dinner.