Say Something

Memories of Memories

SHINee’s “The Reason”

***********

Tao’s POV~

The bell rang but I was idly walking down the halls, not wanting to head to first period. I usually don’t skip classes but I already learned the unit and I had no motivation to review it again, just because some people refuse to pay attention the first time the teacher explained it.

The hall monitors weren’t to start hall sweeps until 3rd period so I didn’t bother looking out after every corner. The halls were peacefully empty and it seemed as if every student was in their designated class, aside from me.

But then I heard it; the faint footsteps rounding the corner. I continued to stare straight ahead of me, acting as if I belonged in the hallway instead of class. You see, it all matters on how you carry yourself. If you look around panicked then of course a teacher will suspect something. However, if I walk like you’re heading somewhere with confidence the teachers will believe that you’re up to no mischief and ignore you.

I stared straight ahead but through the corner of my eyes, I saw who was walking towards me. I was trying to avoid this person, hoping that we wouldn’t have to ever encounter one another, especially like this. I looked past him and continued walking, hoping he’d take the signal and avoid me as well. But after I’ve walked past him, it seems that he stopped in his tracks seeing as I didn’t hear the sound of his footsteps continuing.

“You know don’t you?” He said in a whisper, but with the empty halls his question bounced off the walls and floors enhancing the volume a few folds.

I stopped walking and froze in place. My back was still turned to him and I only nodded, knowing he has more to say. There was only one thing he could’ve been talking about and that was that time when he ran out of the library so quickly he completely forgot to return the magazine he was looking at and left the page wide open; for everyone to see the job listings available for any high school students interested in a part-time job (A/N: refer to Chapter 11) and when I spotted him at the grocery store, working (A/N: refer to Chapter 14). 

D.O scoffed and seemed to grow bolder, getting all of his energy from pure rage.

“So why don’t you run off and tell everyone that I’m a pathetic scholarship kid? I haven’t’ done anything nice to you or that Eunjae chick. I mean, if I wasyou I’d have the balls to announce it to the whole school to get a good kick out of it.”

I didn’t feel rage or anger towards him, but I felt pity. Pity for such a person who only feeds off another person’s misfortunes.

Before I continued walking I didn’t bother turning back, knowing quite well he’ll hear me when I said,

“But I’m not you.”