Emptiness

Memories of Memories

Super Junior’s “It’s You”

****************

Eunjae’s POV~

“Yah Tao come on we’ll be late for the bus!” I shouted from downstairs, checking my phone every second to make sure we won’t be late. His alarm clock must’ve finally run out of batteries and we were nearly ten minutes late, thank god I wake up early just in case a situation like this would occur.

“I’m coming; quiet down or you’ll wake up the kids.” Tao said as he jumped gracefully down the flight of stairs. He landed smoothly on both of his bend feet, barely making a sound as he straightened his knees and stood up straightening himself. He raised his hands over his head and stretched himself like a cat, popping his stiff joints. His hair was still sticking up in several places but it still looked nearly perfect. We each grabbed a slice of toast with butter and ran out the door, only to stop dead in our tracks as soon as we stepped outside.

“Morning Eunjae.” Kai said with such sweetness I was sure I was still dreaming. There he was, leaning against his limousine as D.O and Suho stuck their heads out the sun roof. I approached the gleaming car as Tao followed me a few steps behind as I asked,

“Wh-what are you doing here?” He smirked and gave me a light peck on the cheek. I blushed at the contact, remembering Tao was still behind me no doubt seeing the public display of affection.

“Just thought I’d give you a ride to school. Here come on in; Chanyeol brought us each a cup of Starbucks coffee.”

I hate coffee. Even with milk and sugar, it does little to subdue its bitterness.

But I kept that little thought to myself. And just as Kai was leading me towards the car door, I put on the brakes and stopped right where I was. He looked at me puzzled and I said,

“Can Tao come along?” I know it was rude to ask to bring another party with me especially since I wasn’t the owner of the car, but how can I just leave behind Tao? I looked behind me and Tao stood there with his hands in his pockets, awkwardly by himself amidst this whole situation. I wasn’t planning on leaving Tao and making him take the bus alone in the morning, I already felt guilty about doing so yesterday. Besides, with such a big car I hope Kai wouldn’t mind sparing a seat for Tao.

Yet D.O and Suho seemed to think otherwise when they cupped their hands and shouted,

“Sorry no more space left.” They both quickly retreated back into the car and a faint click was heard when the sun roof was closed shut. Tao gave me a small smile and I knew what I had to do.

Tao’s POV~

I would’ve taken that as my cue to leave, but it didn’t exactly go as I planned. Eunjae slipped out of Kai’s grasp and walked next to me as she waved and said,

“Mianhe, but I’m going to take the bus with Tao. I’ll see you at school, ne?” I looked down and tried to hide my look of surprise. She really just said no to Kai, the school kingka and her boyfriend, just to take the agonizing public transportation? I felt a sense of joy and pride, feeling as if I still stand high in her mind. Well, higher than Kai at least.

I was about to smile and do a flip but when I saw the look on her face, my heart strings tugged. She looked hesitant and I knew she wanted to ride in the limo with them, particularly Kai.

I swalled back the bitterness I felt, trying to suppress any pain and decided what the right thing would be to do. I hid any sign of hurt and managed to force out the words,

“No it’s ok, you can go with them. I still have some errands to do.” She whipped her head to face me and furrowed her eyebrows in confusion. She knew very well that I had no errands, seeing as I barely managed to wake up today on time. But I hoped she’d get the message I was giving her that it’s ok to go.

“Are you sure Tao? I really don’t mind taking the usual route with you.” She said. I know she truly meant that, just because I know she’s that type of kindhearted person. But who am I to stand in her way with her and her…boyfriend. It still leaves a bitter after-taste saying that word and knowing who he is.

“Yeah I’m sure, go ahead.” Eunjae bit her bottom lip and asked,

“You sure-”

“Great, then it’s settled. Come on Eunjae, we don’t wanna be late.” Kai interrupted her and wrapped his arm around her waist. Maybe it was my imagination but I could’ve sworn he just gave me a malicious smirk behind her back, as if to tease and rub it in my face that he just claimed victory and won.

Eunjae looked over her shoulder at me and I waved, trying to give her a small smile to show her it really was ok.

But it’s not, is it?

She was nearly forced into the car and as soon as it drove off, I began my usual walk to the bus stop alone.

It was honestly one of the loneliest walks I’ve had in a long time, missing Eunjae’s constant chatter about the things happening in her life. Her high spirits in the morning were like my coffee that started off my day, even though I was pretty sure she’d hate being compared to something she so bitterly hates. But I tried to substitute it by blasting music through my headphones and walking through the streets as neighbors began to slowly wake up and begin their day.

Yet the whole scene just kept replaying in my head. How nearly everything spoke and said one thing: Eunjae’s not even in my reach anymore. She’s practically Kai’s and although I never wish to think of people as possessions, it feels as if Kai has already obtained her. It really felt like my chest was being poked by a needle, testing me to see when I’ll finally burst. But I refuse to show this side, especially around her. Knowing Eunjae, if she even saw me in such a state she’d blame herself first. That’s the one defect she has: she’s always caring about others and their wellbeing to a point where she’d completely toss away any thoughts on herself.

So till then, I’m perfectly fine just staying by her side. 

The bus came by and I took the seat near the back, grateful that there are two empty seats. I was reaching my hand behind me out of habit to lead Eunjae towards the two seats to make sure I wouldn’t lose her in the crowd, but only swiped at thin air. The empty feeling reminded me that she’s not here and this might end up becoming a regular thing. I returned my hand at my side and walked towards the back, sitting in the far corner and watching the streets outside as they all become a blur when the bus begins to move.

Will this really become a regular thing? Where I’ll just be the stray cat left behind?