Pleasant Surprise

Memories of Memories

Super Junior “Why I Like You” | Sistar’s “Lead Me”

*************

Tao’s POV~

I didn’t even bother to wait for the bus to make a full stop; as soon as its doors opened I flew out of the bus. Sure I got yelled at by the bus driver telling me how it’s unsafe to do such a thing, but how can I waste any time when I had less than a minute to get to school before the gates would close on me. I shouted back an apology and continued to run without stopping.

I ran full speed ahead, trying to jump over anything that could save me time and managed to run across several streets before the light turned red.

I knew this would be one of those bad days to begin with the minute my alarm clock stopped working and he showed up. It’s as if God was giving me signs to be ready for whatever was to come.

I saw the school coming up ahead and I really thought I could make it, seeing as its posh building was already in my viewpoint. I picked up my pace and pushed any ounce of energy I had into my running feet, trying hard to ignore the burning feeling my lungs were giving out.

It’s too early to be doing so much running.

But it could’ve been worse. I had three more traffic lights to go and I was safely inside the closed gates when, before I even had a chance to tighten my loose shoelace; I saw the iron gates beginning to close.

Tch. Not good.

The light turned green and not a minute too soon before I got a good grip on my backpack and ran towards the school faster than before, barely paying attention to my surroundings.

I was 3 blocks away when a car decided to drive full speed up ahead, not planning on stopping just to let me pass by.

, not enough time to stop.

I had to think fast and the first thing that came to mind made me smirk. I’m going to have to flip or jump over the car. To encourage my crazy action, I saw the gate already half-way closed and I knew I had no other choice unless I wanted to lose a good couple of spare seconds.

I tossed my backpack ahead of me and over the car and as soon as I saw it land on the other side, I made sure to get a good running start before I put in all my strength into the soles of my feet. It that I didn’t have much of anything to bounce off of, but nonetheless I jumped a good couple feet off the ground and made sure to twist my body so that my back was facing up towards the sky and I saw the car’s roof passing below me with my hands outstretched for good balance as my feet fanned themselves over me.

I quickly turned my body back into its original position upright and landed on both of my feet with a gentle thud, quickly scooping my backpack off the ground and running towards the school yet again.

(A/N: something like this flip, but imagine him jumping higher and having a running start … with a car below him LOL http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCmUZub2Qdk)

I did a mental pat on the back, glad that I managed to jump over the car with ease and not cause a tear in my uniform through all that moving.

I had one more street light to go and the gate was nearly closed. I knew it was pointless to even try, knowing that it’d be impossible to make it.

But what else could I do? I had to at least try and pray that I was that slim chance that could still make it.

I looked at the streets before me and it was clear, almost as if willing me to try and go see if I could actually make it. My eyes zoomed in on the gate’s thin opening and I ran, my target being set and not paying attention to anything else around me.

I looked at my watch and I literally had ten seconds before the clock strikes 8:10 and the gate would completely close and not open until school was officially over.

10…

I was two blocks away and tried to egg me into thinking I could actually make it. The soles of my shoes were burning from the harsh friction they’ve been through this morning.

9…8…7…6…

I had one more block and, to my luck, it was a green light as I managed to run past the streets with ease, already seeing the entire entrance waiting for me.

5…4…3…

I was almost there, already tasting victory as I was only a few houses and stores away from the place.

2…1…

Yet it was as if everything slowed down, like when you hit the slow motion button on your remote control and I saw everything play out frame by frame. My hand was pathetically outstretched for the gate but I already knew it – it was too late.

0

The Iron Gate’s shut right in front of my face and I was left to stand outside the school, a mere foot away. I was panting heavily, grateful that the wind was slightly picking up to cool me down. My hands were at my side, unsure of what to do next as I tried to assess my possibilities.

I looked at the gate and was pretty sure positive it was more than twice my size, but it had bars that cut every now and then that I could try and use to grip onto and climb my way over it. I looked around and saw no other way, knowing that this was already a pitiful idea.

I looked at the high iron bars and stepped back a few yards, hoping that a running start could give me the upper hand. I made a few bounces in my step before finally running ahead. I was just about to jump when I heard a voice shouting,

“Yah! What do you think you’re doing!?”

Eunjae’s POV~

I giggled when I saw Tao doing a baby jump but stopping in midair as he fell back, looking at me with a baffled expression. It’s rare to catch the kung-fu panda off guard and it’s hilarious when you do because his facial expression is priceless.

“Eunjae?” He called almost breathlessly. His uniform was a little wrinkled here and there and he seemed out of breath, as if he just came running from a marathon. He walked up to me and asked,

“Why are you out here?” I gave him a small smile as I reached out my hands and began to fix his disheveled collar and tie, a habit I’ve developed after seeing umma do it countless of times.

“Pabo, it didn’t feel right going in without you. I knew that when I saw the latest bus come and you not being on it, that you wouldn’t make it. I can’t just have you skipping school without me.”

A secretive smirk formed around my lips and when I managed to fix his tie, I looked up and stared at his face.

“Besides, how can I leave you on our birthday?” His eyes widened in surprise but he soon came to realize the date. You can call it corny or whatever but yes; Tao and I celebrate our birthday on the exact same day. I’ll explain more of this bizarre tradition of ours later.

“So aren’t you going to say something? Fine I’ll say it first. Happy birthday Tao~”I said and smiled brightly at him, knowing that this was yet another memorable year. And just to , it was I who ruffled his hair this time around. We usually don’t do anything special for each other’s birthdays. We usually don’t even say anything throughout the day until we get home and celebrate it with our family and call it a day.

But seeing as this is Tao’s’ senior year, knowing he’ll probably be off to college next year, I figured we should make the best of it.

Tao had such a warm glow to his smile that it completely caught me off guard. It was filled with such sincerity and … innocence that it was something new. I’ve only seen it a couple of times and I could never tell when it was coming. But it flattered him nicely, seeing a rare soft side as opposed to his cold, self-conserved one.

What really caught me off guard however was his next action. He wrapped his strong arms around my small frame and I realized that we rarely do such a physical affection to one another. I could smell his cologne and shampoo.

He smells so nice, and he’s so warm.

My hands automatically hugged him back, and we were wrapped in each other’s embrace. It was a weird feeling, something I don’t remember feeling. For once I felt completely … safe.

“Happy birthday to you too, Eunjae.” Tao whispered into my ear, his deep and velvet rich voice sending a tingling sensation up my spine.

Th-thump.

Wait…did my heart just skip a beat?