Not Good

Memories of Memories

MBLAQ “Y” | DBSK/TVXQ “Wrong Number” | Big Bang “Haru Haru”

**************

Eunjae’s POV~

I was standing in front of my locker, furiously spinning the lock to reset the contraption for the nth time. I’m positive I have the right locker combination but it won’t seem to open up, the thing still not opened no matter how many times I’ve put in the three numbers.

“Everything ok?” I nearly jumped in place, my heart rate increasing for a millisecond before realizing it was Tao at my side. His eye brow was raised in confusion seeing one hand furiously spinning the lock while the others held several tests I recently got back.

“Here let me hold these so you can try again.” Tao said, reaching for my test papers but I quickly shoved them behind my back. I don’t want Tao seeing them and my initiative to try and play it off coolly failed epically.

“I-it’s ok I can hold them.” I said, trying to look past him. His eyes squinted for a brief second, my inner conscience knowing he already knows that something’s not right.

“Eunjae.” He threatened, his voice going several octaves deeper. I swallowed a dry lump that formed in the back of my throat and hesitantly handed the papers to him as I returned my attention to the lock, hoping to not see Tao’s reaction.

“Eunjae, you can’t be serious…” His voice was barely above a whisper, thankfully the halls were nearly empty seeing as the school day was over and the students were long gone by the time I tried opening my locker for the tenth time.

Tao’s POV~

“Aish, why won’t you open?” Eunjae continued to say agitated at the inanimate object. She tried her lock yet another time but I continued to flip through the test papers.

The scores don’t add up and I’m not fathoming how she could get such scores that were never meant to show up on any of Eunjae’s scores.

79.

67.

58.

45.

66.

All of these numbers were well below Eunjae’s usual scores and I could only stare at the numbers marked in red pen, the teacher’s clearly not amused at such scores coming from such a student.

“Aish!” Eunjae finally exclaimed and gave up on her lock, pouting at it.

“Here step back.” I said and pushed her back a few feet. I stood in front of the locker and kicked it with the heel of my foot, the lock falling onto the linoleum floor with a thud. I picked it up and said,

“You can use my locker for now until you get a new lock.” I picked up her lock as she walked over to her locker, grabbing her books and jacket. Just out of curiosity I spun the lock a few times to reset it and put in the combination.

On my first try it made a silent click and the lock opened. I looked up at Eunjae, hesitating when asking her,

“Eunjae what numbers did you put into your lock?” I shut the lock closed and she looked back at me when replying,

“The right ones that I remember, why?”

“What were they?” I asked, hoping that my intuition was just playing a bad joke on me.

“39, 25, and 7. If you wanna try opening the lock yourself go ahead but-” I cut her off mid-sentence and dragged her outside making sure that we’ll be able to catch the next bus coming our way.

“Tao what’s wrong?” She yelled behind me, struggling to keep up with my pace.

She said 39, 25, and 7 when her locker combination is 29, 25, and 9. This can’t be good. I had a gut feeling something was off when she first asked me about school but I figured she was just messing with me again.

The bus came in record time and I quickly boarded it with Eunjae right behind me.

“Tao can you at least tell me where we’re going?” She asked trying to fix her now messed up hair.

“Hospital, we need to check something.”

Eunjae’s POV~

My eyes widened in shock and I tried to stand up. Yet Tao quickly jerked my arm and sat me back down. I looked at him bewildered and told him calmly,

“Tao I just left the hospital yesterday I’m fine.

“No Eunjae you’re not just please, trust me.” I didn’t understand why he was doing such a thing but I knew he wouldn’t be swayed so easily. We managed to arrive at the hospital in ten minutes and Tao left me in the waiting room as he marched inside.

After another five minutes he came back with a nurse that took me to a room and handed me a gown, telling me to come out when I’m ready. I gently folded my uniform and changed into the loose clothing, leaving the room and being led into another one with a scanner in the middle meant to check brain activity.

Tao’s POV~

“Please tell me what’s wrong.” I begged as my head hung low while my foot impatiently tapped away at the cold floors. He didn’t reply to me and I only heard several clicks being made by the mouse as he dragged several pictures across the wide computer screen.

“What’s wrong with her?!” I shouted, hating the fact that my question was being ignored and unanswered. A large display image appeared on the screen and he finally faced me as he took off his glasses that now hung around his neck.

“I don’t know Tao. Her brain activity and functions seem to be doing fine and there are no signs of any tissue deteriorating or anything. Overall, she’s physically healthy.”

“But what about her mental state?” I asked through gritted teeth, staring at her body laid out underneath the rotating scanner through the one-way window.

“We don’t know.” He deflated.

“Isn’t it your job to know?” I asked under my breath. He must’ve heard me seeing as we were the only two in the room and he replied in a professional tone,

“Tao, the human brain and mind are a delicate thing, something the medical field has yet to learn more about. Sometimes memories are shut off because they have been traumatizing, unimportant, or were just wanted to be forgotten by the person.”

Something nagged me at the back of my mind but I chose to ignore it. The only words I managed to reply were,

“This isn’t one of those times.”

My bag was firmly in my hands and I left the room thanking the doctor. Why is everything turning upside down and going wrong? I looked at Eunjae one last time through the window and saw her getting up from the table as she was led back to the room from which she came from.

When she was done changing she came into the waiting room and we left without a word.

On the bus she looked at me several times before asking,

“Tao why did we go there?” I looked at her pleading look, the look of a lost child and ruffled her hair in comfort.

“I just wanted to check something.” I half-lied to her. She could see right through me but let me go, knowing that I’ll tell her when the time is right.