Hesitant

Memories of Memories

U-Kiss’s “Shut Up!!” | X5’s “Dangerous”

***************

Kai’s POV~

The bell rang and I ran off to my Calculus class, already knowing I’ll be a couple of minutes late. The crowd was already dispersed so it wasn’t that hard to avoid traffic. I managed to compose myself before walking into the classroom, thankful that the teacher wasn’t here yet.

I looked in the back and saw Eunjae giving me a shy wave and I smiled as I walked towards my seat next to hers. Several girls gave me their usual waves and giggles and I winked back, not wanting to deny my fans. Some squealed and I made my way to the back of the class.

I plopped down and greeted her,

“Good morning Eunjae.” She smiled and replied in a quiet tone,

“Good morning Kai-oppa.” The late bell rung and everyone was in a seat, scanning over their notes. I looked over at Eunjae and she saw my confusion, wondering why everyone was reviewing their notes so hastily.

She noticed my lack of movement and looked over at me, noticing that my desk was still empty.

“You’re not studying for Mr. Cho’s test?” She asked me.

Crap, I forgot all about it!

There’s nothing worse than that little heart attack you get when you realized you weren’t at all prepared for a test. I quickly took out my notebook and scanned over the pages. Yet I rewrote the notes in a hurry, barely able to make out a single character with my sloppy handwriting. And the parts I did manage to read, none of the notes were sticking to me.

Great, first test of the first marking period and I’m already gonna start off with a solid zero.

I looked over at Eunjae and noticed her empty desk, not a sign of notes in her view.

“You’re not studying?” I asked, confused why such a genius who seemed like grades were her life wasn’t cramming any last minute details into her head.

She pointed towards her temple and said,

“Already memorized.” And I couldn’t help but do a little jump on the inside, finding the answer to all of my academic problems. I knew she’d come in handy, given the circumstances.

I shut my notebook and looked over at Eunjae with the best puppy-dog eyes I could muster as I cooed her name,

“Eunjae~”

Eunjae’s POV~

I craned my neck at the sound of my name and almost fell off my chair seeing Kai’s pleading look. How can someone look so adorable and handsome at the same time?! It should be considered a sin.

“N-Neh?” I replied, still shaken by his big brown eyes that were staring at me.

“I didn’t get a chance to study last night and seeing as you’re so prepared, can you help me out a little bit during the test?” I broke away from his trance for a brief minute, realizing what he was asking me to do.

I bit my bottom lip in hesitation and looked down, afraid that if I saw his face I’d break down and asked,

“Y-you want me to cheat for you?” I felt his hand cup my chin as he lifted my face so I’d look at him. My breath was caught as I locked eyes with his brown orbs. I was bound by his spell as I was mesmerized by his penetrating gaze.

“Just this once, I promise I’ll be ready the next time. Won’t you help me this one time yeobo?”

Th-thump. Th-thump.

Yeobo. The way the word slid off his tongue so smoothly and naturally, I felt the blood creep up to my cheeks knowing it was directed towards me. I was in an argument with myself, trying to decide from right and wrong. But the look he gave me reminded me that he was my boyfriend.

Wasn’t I supposed to help him in any way possible since I was his girlfriend?

I swallowed the embarrassment on the last foreign word as I nodded, agreeing to help him.

His eyes lit up and he gave me that eye smile of his that my heart still sped up for as he said,

“Kamsahamnida Eunjae!~ I owe you one.” And as if right on time, the teacher came in and wasted no time in handing out the tests.

It wasn’t even a full minute when I felt Kai gently nudging my side. I looked up to make sure Mr. Cho wasn’t looking at us and dared to look over at Kai to see what he needed.

I scanned his paper and already saw that the first three questions were already wrong and he was pointing to the edge of his paper. He managed to faintly scribble a note that read,

Are these right so far?

I looked up one more time and saw that Mr.Cho’s attention was towards the notes he was copying down on the board and I slid my paper off towards Kai’s direction, just far enough so he could see my own answers.

I felt wrong doing this. A bitter and hollow feeling began to eat away at the pit of my stomach.

Guilt.

But every time Kai gave me a thumbs up or his radiant smile, I felt a small reassurance and it was enough to get me through the rest of the class.

Kai’s POV~

As soon as the bell rang I sprung out of my seat and confidently dropped off my test onto Mr. Cho’s desk along with the others. I obviously made sure not to copy every single one of Eunjae’s answers, but I made sure that I managed to at least get a high B. I can work my way up from there, right?

Eunjae walked beside me and gave me a weak smile and I already knew it; guilt was eating away at her.

I can’t have her snitch on me or have any doubts.

We were alone in the classroom, seeing as we were the last students in the back and I gave her hand a reassuring squeeze.

She blushed at my sudden contact and once we were in the halls, I smoothly slid my hand away from her and walked away as if nothing ever happened.

I said I’d play with her and I meant it, I have no intentions of anyone knowing about it. She can think all she wants of our “relationship” but in the end, it’s nothing but a fantasy that’ll never come true for her and a stepping stone for me.

Eunjae’s POV~

I looked at Kai’s back as he walked farther and farther away from me, not even looking back once. I still felt his warm hand press against my own as my fingers retraced his touch on my palm.

I sighed in content, realizing that I was late for my next class and the halls were already beginning to clear out. I was just about to round a corner when it hit me.

Splash!

An entire bucket of ice cold water was thrown at me, soaking me from head to toe. My entire shoes were drenched, as were the rest of my clothes and hair. I looked in front of me and heard a clanking sound as the metal bucket was thrown at my feet.

There stood three girls, who applied too much makeup on to a point where they literally resembled circus clowns. The middle one had a bizarre shade of neon blue eye-shadow and her lipstick was applied on too thickly in a failed attempt to give an illusion to make her lips seem fuller than they actually were.

“Yah what gives you the right to be so comfortable around our Kai-oppa? Huh?!” She asked, her banshee voice rising with every word. I clenched my soaked notebooks closer to my chest, not wanting to anger her even further. I was about to answer when the other girl who’s eyeliner nearly hid her eyes scoffed and said,

“Yah we’re talking to you! Don’t go near Kai-oppa again.” I replied back,

“I-I don’t know what you’re talking about.” The third girl must’ve been the muscle of the group as she marched up towards me and yanked me by the hair.

It hurt as most of my hair was threatening to rip from my scalp as she hissed at me,

“Unless you’re his girlfriend, whom we all highly doubt, stay away from Kai-oppa.” She threw me against the wall and they all sauntered off, leaving me alone in the hallway. I wrapped my arms around myself and realized I was shaking from fear. Maybe there was more reason behind it but the main thing was fear.

Is this how a relationship is supposed to go? I heard that there would be ups and downs, but I never realized it would be this drastic.

My conscience told me to go and tell Tao. But I held myself back. Tao will go all out and obliterate any guy who has to do with the girls. No, Tao won’t hurt them because he knows the rules; never hurt a girl regardless for her actions.

I simply stood up with shaky feet and tried to squeeze out any water I could from my clothes and walked to my locker, hoping to change into my dry gym clothes.

For a brief second I pondered the thought if this was all worth it. If my one prince is truly my prince, is he really worth all this trouble?

I slammed my locker shut after I put in my soaked clothes as the bell rang.

Great. So far today I cheated, got bullied, and now I’ll be marked skipping a class. What am I doing with myself?

Yet as soon as I spotted him and he gave me his warm smile and soft wink, all doubt vanished. It’s as if he has me bound under his spell, a chain I’m unable to break free off.

He’s already had such an impact on me that everything else, even the threat today, seemed futile at the moment.

I smiled back and waved, but he didn’t wave back. He barely acknowledged my presence as he and his group walked right past me, as if I was just another student.

My head slumped in disappointment but I tried to be optimistic as I reminded myself this every time,

He’s still my boyfriend, even if it’s a secret, and that’s all that matters. No one else’s opinion is important.

But ever so slightly, those reasons were growing weaker once he was out of sight yet again.