I’m … Happy For You

Memories of Memories

F.Cuz’s “Wanna Be Your Love”

******************

Eunjae’s POV~

The bell rang and I sprung out of my seat, running full speed ahead towards my locker. I had to dodge and swerve around the students, all eagerly crowding the single exit to try and escape the classroom. I didn’t want to make Kai wait for me too long and I needed to tell Tao that he’ll have to take the bus alone seeing as I don’t know how long I’ll need to tutor Kai. Besides, I don’t want to make Tao wait for me too long, he probably wants to jump start any homework anyways.

I finally managed to weasel my way out and ran down the stairs towards the first floor. I rounded the corner and saw Tao closing his locker just as he took his jacket out.

It was as if he can hear me a mile away because right when I spotted him, his eyes met my own. I gave him a friendly and excited wave as I walked up to my locker right next to his.

“Tao, I’m gonna be staying after school to tutor someone so you’ll have to take the bus home alone.” I said as I was opening my locker and putting in all my books I won’t need. I didn’t bother double checking if I had everything and shut my locker, hearing the metal lock bang against the door as I shut the door too eagerly.

“You sure you don’t want me to stay?” Tao asked as he coughed a little towards the end of the sentence. I looked down and waved my hand towards me, telling him to move closer so I can whisper him something.

Tao’s POV~

I trusted Eunjae more than enough to leave her alone to study or help out a friend, but usually she’d want me to wait for her. Sometimes even asking me to join and help her friends, even though she knows I’m completely against that. She’s always afraid that some ghost would appear and snatch her away.

She motioned for me to move towards her and I craned my ear so she could whisper to me;

“I’m actually going to tutor Kai, he asked me to tutor him after school!” She was radiating happiness when I looked at her. She was almost jumping in her spot, waiting for me to give her my reaction. Yet what was I supposed to do?

I bit down on my bottom lip in hesitation for two reasons; 1.) I still haven’t met this Kai person so maybe it’s just my instincts telling me to keep Eunjae safe and 2.) I felt uneasy about this in a way … I can’t even explain. Something was building up inside of me at the pit of my stomach and I didn’t like it. This annoying feeling has been poking me for quite some time now and I still have yet to figure out the cause of it.

But I kept it to myself, seeing as I didn’t want to stomp on her hopes and only said,

“Oh, ok. Well, just call when you get on the bus. Have fun.” I could barely choke out those last two words. Why was it so hard for me to tell her that? Was it just because she was finally drifting away from me, and another guy is coming into play? Surely I wasn’t expecting for me to be her only male figure in life?

Maybe. Maybe not.

Yet why is there this constant nagging feeling, even when I’m already on the subway train?