Chapter 34

She

 

 

Jessica did not talk for the rest of their drive home. The dinner ended without another word from both parties. Mrs. Jung only spoke again when she was bidding goodbye to Jessica. She ignored Sooyoung's presence. Jessica just received her actions quietly.

 

 

“Sica…” Sooyoung broke the silence when they’ve finally reached home. She knows Jessica is having a hard time now and she would do anything just to lift off all her sadness and worries.

 

 

Jessica was not enjoying the silence either. She wanted to assure Sooyoung that everything was okay but she doesn’t know where to get the energy from. The whole night was stressful for her. It’s like she released a bomb back there at the restaurant. Two bombs, actually. One was, “Hey mom, I like girls.” The other one was, “As a matter of fact, I already have a girlfriend.”

 

 

She felt bad having to go against her mom’s will this time but breaking up with Sooyoung is never an option. Their relationship might be new but she really loves her girlfriend.

 

 

“Sica…” Sooyoung called again. Since Jessica did not respond earlier, she’s starting to worry about what’s on her girlfriend’s mind.

 

“I’m fine. Don’t worry about me. I’m just tired. Let’s just talk about everything tomorrow, okay?”

 

Sooyoung hesitated. “Okay, goodnight then, my princess.” She kissed Jessica’s cheeks. She let her lips linger for a while. Jessica closed her eyes upon feeling Sooyoung’s lips on her cheeks. She just wanted to forget all the stress and right now, only sleep can help her do that.

 

Jessica wrapped her arms around Sooyoung’s waist and hugged her tightly. “I love you, Sooyoung. You know that, right?”

 

“I’ve been informed well tonight. And I love you too.” Sooyoung grinned even though Jessica couldn’t see her face. “By the way, you were so y during dinner tonight. I’m so proud that you’re mine.” Sooyoung whispered to Jessica’s ear.

 

There was still a hint of blush on Jessica’s face when they pulled apart. Sooyoung smiled. She succeeded in making Jessica feel better somehow. Even just for a little bit.

 

“Goodnight. See you tomorrow.” Jessica said before she closed the door of her room.

 

*

 

“What happened exactly?” Tiffany announced her arrival with her loud voice.

 

“Sshhhh!” They heard from the crowd.

 

Tiffany bowed her head countless times before finally turning around to see her friend. Jessica hit her lightly on her arm. “You’re so embarrassing, you know that?” She then proceeded walking towards the entrance of their college.

 

“Tell me, Jessi. Sooyoung texted me to look after you today."

 

Jessica did not give her any reaction. “Why would she do that?”

 

“I don’t know, tell me. Because apparently, my job description as your best friend also includes babysitting you during a love fight.”

 

“We didn’t fight.”

 

“Then what happened?” Tiffany is getting frustrated.

 

“You don’t have to babysit me.” Jessica said coldly.

 

“Hey, Miss Jung.” Tiffany grabbed Jessica on her wrist and turned her so that they would face each other. “I don’t want to be nosy. Sooyoung is a friend who asked for a favor and to be honest, it’s not really hard to look after you. You’re not a kid anymore. But this,” Tiffany pointed herself, “This is me asking her best friend if she’s alright. I’m not doing Sooyoung a favor. I’m just being a best friend here.” Tiffany sighed.

 

Jessica felt guilty. She actually realized that ever since she’s been spending less and less time with her best friend. She’s afraid that she’s neglecting Tiffany. “I’m sorry. Please don’t think that I’m neglecting you.”

 

“It’s okay. I don’t feel that way.” Tiffany held her hand. “I can still hold your hand like this, right?” She chuckled. “Or even this is reserved for Sooyoung only.”

 

Jessica laughed. “Of course. Would Taeyeon mind?”

 

“I don’t think she’ll even care.” There was a hint of pain with Tiffany’s words. She’s smiling and she made it seem like a joke but Jessica knows better. She decided to ask Tiffany about it later.

 

“Let’s just walk to class together and I’ll tell you everything.”

 

**

 

“With all due respect to your mom,” Tiffany said after hearing the story, “She’s’s evil.”

 

“Yah! She's still my mom.” Jessica said.

 

“Sorry for that.” Tiffany grinned. “Let me correct myself. That Donghae is evil.”

 

“Tiffany!”

 

“What?” Tiffany asked after seeing Jessica’s reaction.  “He’s not any better than those teenage girls who spread rumors because they have nothing else to do.

 

“It’s not my concern right now. I’m worried Sooyoung.”

 

“Why?”

 

“Dating me is getting more complicated now. I have an ex who wants to get back together and I have a controlling mother supporting him. At the same time, she’s not going to bend her principles and let her daughter get involved with another girl.”

 

“It’s part of the deal. You’re in a relationship. You deal with problems that will test your relationship.” They stopped when they reached their classroom. They have to finish their talk before going to the classroom to avoid some of those gossip girls.

 

Tiffany continued. “Also, those trials may even strengthen your relationship. You fight. You make up.”

 

Jessica was thankful that Tiffany’s there for her.

 

“By the way, what did Sooyoung say about what happened?”

 

Jessica giggled nervously. “Actually, I left early this morning to avoid the talk. I don’t know what to say after having her listen as I pour all my feelings last night.”

 

Tiffany shook her head. “There’s no reason to be embarrassed about that. She would want to hear those words directly addressed to her.”

 

“Since when did you become a love expert?”

“I’m not.” Tiffany laughed. “I wish I could be a love expert.” There’s something to those words again and Jessica knew it.

 

“Where’s Taeyeon?”

 

“I don’t know. Being someone else’s best friend.” Tiffany scoffed.

 

“Nana?”

 

“Is there someone else? Please say no because I can’t share my girlfriend with another girl.”

 

“Fany…”

 

Before she could say anything else, they heard somebody clearing his throat. It was their professor. “Can you continue your chat after class?”

 

Both apologized. “Sorry, professor.”

 

The professor smiled. “It’s fine just don’t chat on my class. Before I start the class, can I talk to you, Jessica?”

 

“Of course, Sir.”

 

Tiffany entered the classroom first while their professor talked to Jessica.

 

“Your editor-in-chief told me that you’re writing that article about homouals.”

 

Jessica nodded nervously. She forgot to tell the editor that she would not do it.

 

“Let me tell you something that might interest you.” The professor smiled to her. “The article might be your ticket to an scholarship program abroad.”

 

Jessica has still not absorbed it. “Pardon, sir?”

 

“All you have to do is write that article for the college newspaper and we’ll make sure that it will reach those who are in charge of the scholarship.”

 

Jessica didn’t know what to feel. She has always dreamed about studying abroad but her situation now is too complicated.

 

“Thank you, sir.” Jessica uttered.

 

“You’re welcome. Just ask me if you have any questions. Just write that article like how you write all your other articles. You’re good. We wouldn’t have chosen you if I don’t believe in that.”

 

“One question, sir.” Jessica hesitated if she’ll ask the question. “I can always right my own opinion, right sir?”

 

“It’s supposed to be that way but you have to consult it with your editor first.”

 

Jessica gulped. What's going to happen with me and Sooyoung!

 

 

 

 


Update!

You're comments are always funny and encouraging at the same time.

Unfortunately, I can't reply to all of them now. I will, later.

But please leave your comments on this chapter. What do you think? :)