Chapter 3

She

 

 

Sooyoung just finished playing basketball with her one of best buddies, Yuri. They’re sitting on the bleachers, watching the kids play. These kids belong to a community of families supported by a government program. Every now and then, Sooyoung comes in here to visit them. 
 
“These kids, they have a lot of potential.”
 
“See?” Sooyoung is smiling like a proud sister. “I told you they’re good. You should have come with me earlier.”
 
Yuri chuckled. “Well, unlike you, I have to study so hard to pass my subjects.”
 
“Are you trying to say I’m lazy?” Sooyoung punched Yuri’s arm lightly.
 
“No, stupid. I’m saying you’re smart. Oh wait, that’s an understatement. You are a genius.”
 
“Wow, you called me stupid and genius in one day. Thank you, I guess.” Sooyoung smiled at her best friend.
 
“I don’t mean one of them.” Yuri said while laughing.
 
*
 
“Good morning. May I ask when will you release the list of candidates?” Jessica asked the secretary in the Office of Student Affairs.
 
“We’ll post it outside at around 2 PM.”
 
“Oh, I see. Thank you, ma’am.”
 
She doesn’t have anywhere to go now. Her apartment is just near the campus but she’s afraid she’ll just fall asleep if she stays there. She went to submit her paper earlier at her professor’s office. She only slept for two hours only to finish the paper.
 
She was just walking around campus when she received a message from Tiffany.
 
From: Tiffany
            Where are you? 
 
To: Tiffany
            Campus. Why?
 
From: Tiffany
             I just submitted my paper. Text me where you are. I’ll come.
 
Jessica texted Tiffany her exact location and sat on the bench near her. She’s just observing the cars passing by. A few minutes later, she saw an approaching Tiffany.
 
“Did you get the list?” Tiffany asked excitedly.
 
“Not yet. They said they’ll post it at 2PM.”
 
“Oh. Then, we should wait for it there. Who knows, they might post it earlier. We couldn’t risk anyone publishing it before you.” Tiffany keeps jumping up and down.
 
Jessica giggled at her friend’s actions. “Okay, okay.”
 
**
 
The kids refused to let Sooyoung and Yuri go. Sooyoung had been busy with school lately and it’s been a while since her last visit. The kids missed her.
 
“C’mon, guys. It’s okay. I’ll be back soon. I promise.”
 
One of the little kids began to cry. “Hey, baby… Don’t cry. I said I’ll come back, didn’t I?”
 
“But Sooyoung unnie takes so long.” The girl continued crying.
 
Sooyoung lifts the girl up. The other kids follow Sooyoung and Yuri to their car. “Baby girl, you said you can count with your fingers already, right?”
 
The little girl nodded. She has now stopped crying as she enjoy being in Sooyoung’s arms. “Yes. One…Two..Twee..Fow...Five..Six..Se-ven…Eight..Nine..Ten!!” She counted with her fingers. 
 
“Very good.” Sooyoung smiled widely. “Count each day that will pass. I’ll be back before you count with your all of your fingers.”
 
The girl thought for a while. Then she finally smiled. “Okay!” This made Sooyoung chuckle. The kids are just too cute. Yuri made her way to the driver’s seat.
Sooyoung carefully put the girl down. She continued waving to the kids while Yuri started driving away. When the kids were out of sight, Sooyoung didn’t stop smiling. 
 
“You really love those kids, huh?”
 
Sooyoung focused her eyes on the houses they’re passing by. “They need someone who’ll love them.”
 
“I heard that you’re running for vice chairperson.” Yuri took a glimpse of Sooyoung who did not bother to look at her.
 
“Where’d you hear that?”
 
“Are you denying it?” Yuri let out a short laugh. “You know, I wasn’t surprise at all.”
 
“Huh?” Sooyoung is interested to know how her best friend feels about her decision.
 
“You’re popular. You influence a lot of people. No wonder someone would want you to run for their party.”
 
“But I chose them before they chose me.”
 
“Is that so?”
 
“I wouldn’t run with people who I don’t trust.”
 
“Good to know. Politics in our university is cruel. You’ll need real friends with you.”
 
“Yuri, I’m touched by your words just now. I didn’t know you have that part in you.” Sooyoung laughed. Yuri punched her arms. 
 
“Ouch!”
 
“You’re stupid. That’s my final answer.”
 
Both of them laughed.
 
***
 
Tiffany and Jessica were patiently waiting for the list outside the office. “You know, I talked to Taeyeon last night?”
 
“You were with her last night?” Jessica was surprised.
 
“She dropped me at my house.”
 
Jessica’s eyes widened. “What? You’re close with her?”
 
 “No!” Tiffany was suddenly defensive. “At least not anymore.”
 
“So you were close with her?” Jessica realized that she still doesn’t know a lot of things about Tiffany.
 
“For a time, yes. We were high school friends.”
 
“Go on.” Jessica wanted to know more. Even if Taeyeon gives off a y impression, Jessica is not convinced that Taeyeon is really like that. Taeyeon is a mystery to her.
 
“We just drifted apart.” Tiffany said softly.
 
“Hmmm…I sense that you’re keeping something from me, Tiffany.”
 
Before Tiffany could answer, she was thankful that the secretary showed up with the list. She gave it to Jessica who kept thanking her. They examined the list for a short while.
 
“Oops, I have to publish this already.” Jessica typed the names of the candidates hurriedly. Tiffany just kept quiet beside her. She doesn’t want to be of any disturbance to the other girl.
 
“Done!” Jessica announced.
 
“Yey! You did it!” Tiffany was jumping up and down again.
 
Jessica was smiling widely as she texted Boa to report about the article. “Tiff, you’re so jumpy today.”
 
Tiffany stopped jumping. “Sorry.”
 
Jessica smiled.  “It’s okay.” She noticed the list that is still one her hands. She read the names again. Most of the candidates are familiar to her. Some of them also ran for position last year.
 
Tiffany joined her in looking at the list. “OMG, Choi Sooyoung is running for vice chairperson!”
 
Jessica’s eyes also found the name that Tiffany is mentioning. It was one of the few names that she has not heard of. “Choi Sooyoung?”
 
“You don’t know Choi Sooyoung?!” Tiffany sounded so surprise.
 
Jessica slowly shook her head. She tried thinking about the name again but nope, it didn’t really ring a bell.
 
“She’s majoring in Psychology. Smart. Beautiful. Oh, and she is biual.”
 
“Interesting.” Jessica doesn’t know what to say about that. 
 
Her phone suddenly rang. The caller ID said that it’s Boa.
 
“Hello?”
 
“Jessica. Good job on getting the list first. There are some typographical errors but I guess I could let it slip this time. But be mindful of it next time.”
 
“I will, Boa unnie.”
 
“Now, we have to start interviewing the candidates. You know Choi Sooyoung?”
 
“Y-yes. She’s running for vice chairperson. Smart. Beautful. And according to Tiffany, she’s biual.”
 
Tiffany just smiled, knowing about what they’re talking about.
 
“Good. Interview her.”
 
Jessica was surprised at what she heard. “What?”
 
“She’s a very interesting candidate. I want you to write an article about her as soon as possible.”
 
Jessica didn’t respond.
 
“Is there a problem?”
 
“None! I will interview her as soon as possible.” As soon as Boa hanged up the phone, Jessica sighed heavily. “Choi Sooyoung.” She read the name once again.
 
 
 
 

 

 

You were surprised about Jiyeon, huh? hehehe. 

I mentioned that Sooyoung was based on a real person, right? When I saw her girlfriend, it reminded me of Jiyeon.

Yes, both of them are beautiful in real life.

Oh, and I you don't love Sooyoung-Jiyeon together, sorry. hehe. You're not really supposed to love the pairing. We should be loyal, SooSicspheres, right? :)

Beside SooSica, I have another pairing in mind already. I can write about 3 pairing maximum.

I still haven't decided about it though.

For the meantime, let's just anticipate SooSica. :)))