Chapter 23

She

Tiffany went out to buy some stuff in the grocery store. She hasn’t heard from Taeyeon since their phone conversation yesterday. She tried dialing Taeyeon’s number lots of times before but she never managed to click ‘Call’. She’s afraid of what Taeyeon might say about what happened yesterday with Nana.

She was walking with her bag of groceries when she spotted Taeyeon’s car parked in front of a restaurant. She contemplated a lot if she should approach Taeyeon and say hi. After all, she has not seen her in days.

Her fears were overpowered by her desire to see her ‘best friend’. She entered the restaurant without thinking who may Taeyeon must be with at that time. She regretted her decision when she saw Taeyeon and Nana with their lips on each other’s.

It was just a quick kiss. Nana was the one facing Tiffany so she saw her first.

“Tiffany.” Nana mumbled.

Right then, Taeyeon turned around to follow Nana’s eyes and found her best friend looking at them. This confirmed Tiffany’s worst nightmare. Nana has confessed to Taeyeon and she accepted. Taeyeon stood up but somehow she can’t make herself approach her.

For Tiffany, she felt like the world stopped. But this time, she was able to run away. She didn’t care about what she left in the restaurant. She ran away, away from reality or a while. She’s unaware of the tears that have been falling from her eyes ever since she left the restaurant.

*

“Where have you been?” Jessica asked Sooyoung the minute she heard the door opened.

“Meeting with the rest of the council.” Sooyoung answered. She went straight to Jessica who’s busy watching tv to even look at her.

Sooyoung went in front of Jessica and she blocked tv.

“I’m watching here!” Jessica shouted. She kept moving her head from left to right just to get a glimpse of the show.

Sooyoung smiled and get to her knees so she could see the whiny Jessica eye to eye. “For you.” She handed a rose to Jessica.

Jessica couldn’t believe what she’s seeing. It’s Sooyoung giving her a rose!

She shyly received the rose and smiled at Sooyoung. “Thank you. You didn’t have to get me this.”

Sooyoung smiled, feeling all proud with herself. She sat beside Jessica on the couch.

“Go change.”

“Huh?” Jessica was confused.

“We’re going out to dinner. I have to in traduce you to someone important.” Sooyoung pushed Jessica towards the bedroom.

Jessica was suddenly in the bedroom. She stood by the door so Sooyoung could hear her from the living room. “Can you at least tell me who we’re meeting?”

“You’ll know later! No need to be formal. Just dress up casually.” Sooyoung shouted as she was lying in the couch and taking pictures of herself using her phone. She kept doing these funny expressions. She’ll check every picture she took and laugh at her own face. She did not realize that Jessica was already back in the living room. Jessica burst into laughter when she saw what Sooyoung was doing.

Sooyoung quickly hid her phone and acted innocent. “Hey, stop laughing!”

Jessica couldn’t control her laughter. Sooyoung’s funny face marked on her mind. It went on and on and on. Sooyoung’s so embarrassed that Jessica saw that crazy side of her.

“Please stop laughing.” Sooyoung said in a low tone with her head down.

Jessica fought hard to stop laughing. When she finally succeeded, she went to sit beside Sooyoung. She kinda felt guilty for laughing at the other girl.

“Sorry.” She said sincerely. She’s worried that she may have offended Sooyoung this time.

“It’s so embarrassing.” Sooyoung covered her face.

Jessica laughed again. It was the first time Jessica saw an embarassed Sooyoung and she thought it was too adorable.

Jessica leaned in towards Sooyoung and whispered on her ear. “If it matters, I like that side of yours too.”

Sooyoung smiled after hearing it. She turned to catch Jessica’s eyes. When she did, it was Jessica’s turn to blush. Jessica didn’t want to be teased again so she stood up and made her way out.

Sooyoung just laughed at the sudden turn of events.

**

At the restaurant…

“Oh, there she is!” Sooyoung pulled Jessica by the hand.

Jessica was feeling so nervous because Sooyoung said it’s someone important to her. She kept thinking that maybe this is another competition of her. Her line of thought was interrupted when Sooyoung called the person they were meeting.

“Mom!”

Jessica’s heart started beating faster. It didn’t take her too long to absorb what’s happening.

I’m going to meet her mom! Oh my God!

When they reached the table, Sooyoung introduced her to the beautiful woman in front of her.

“Mom, this is Jessica. She’s my future girlfriend.” Sooyoung grinned.

Sooyoung’s mom offered her hand. Jessica took it shyly. Mrs. Choi chuckled when she felt how cold Jessica’s hands are.

“Don’t be nervous. I don’t bite.”

Sooyoung held her hand. “Mom’s really nice, Sica. Don’t be nervous.”

Jessica just nodded slowly. “Good evening, Mrs. Choi.” She suddenly remembered the greeting that she was supposed to say a little earlier.

“Let’s settle down first.” She continued speaking after they were seated. “It was nice to finally meet you. Sooyoung called me last week to tell me that she likes this beautiful girl. And it looks like she wasn’t exaggerating with your beauty, darling.”

Jessica bowed in gratitude. “Thank you, Mrs. Choi.” Her face was red again because of the information Sooyoung shared with her mother.

“Mrs. Choi? That’s too formal. You can call me aunt.”

“Or mom!” Sooyoung suggested. She was so excited to introduce Jessica to her mom. She’s really close to her and she has always been open to her mo about her relationship.

“Thank you, m-mom.” Jessica repeated.

“My daughter is crazy about you. When will you accept her as your girlfriend?”

Jessica coughed when she heard the question. Sooyoung giggled and decided to answer for her. “Mom, we decided not to rush things.”

“I see. But don’t take too much time, Sooyoung. She might slipped from your hands. I don’t want that to happen. You look perfect together.”

“Thanks, mom.”

“And I’d like to have some grandchildren soon.”

This time, both Sooyoung and Jessica coughed.

“Mom!” Sooyoung whined like a little girl.


***

Tiffany locked herself in her room. She didn’t want to talk to anyone or to be around anyone at this time. She cried her eyes out without end. She hated herself for not realizing her feelings back in high school. She also hated herself for wasting her second chance once again.

“Tiffany! Tiffany!” She’ll recognize the voice anywhere. She knew it was Taeyeon outside calling for her.

It just made her cry more. But she can’t face Taeyeon right now.

“Tiffany.” This time, the voice was softer and it sounded nearer. When Tiffany bothered to look up, she saw Taeyeon’s worried face at her bedroom door.

“How d-did-?”

“You gave me your spare key, remember?” Taeyeon smiled weakly. She couldn’t bear seeing Tiffany crying. She promised herself that she would take care of Tiffany, not make her cry.

“L-leave..” *sniff..”me..” *sniff..”alone.”

“No.” Taeyeon said with a serious face. She walked towards the edge of the bed and reached out her hand to wipe Tiffany’s tears.

“Why are you crying?” Taeyeon had to make sure what she’s thinking is right.

“Why do you even care?!”

“Because you’re my best friend!” It was a stab to Fany’s heart.

“I assume Nana is the girlfriend?” Tiffany said as emotionless as possible.

Taeyeon was speechless. It wasn’t because of Tiffany’s question but she saw something that caught her eye. It was Tiffany’s necklace. She wouldn’t mistake that anywhere. She spent all her money in high school just to buy her that.

“Your necklace-“ Taeyeon started.

Tiffany realized what Taeyeon’s talking about. She avoided Taeyeon’s eyes. She wiped her tears away and drank water. Her breathing finally became stable.

“Does that mean-?” Taeyeon contemplated. “No, it can’t be. It’s impossible.”

Tiffany sighed. “Back in high school, you said I was dense, right? I beg to disagree.”

“Fany, let’s not talk about the past.”

“Because you have Nana now? Who’s denser right now?”

“What are you talking about, Fany?”

“I was never dense, Kim Taeyeon. I was just a coward. I knew you had feelings for me back then but I was just too scared to admit it. Just like how I was too scared to admit my own feelings.”

Tayeon was confused about what she’s hearing right now.

“But ever since we reconciled, I was not holding back anymore. I hold your hands like it’s the most comfortable thing to do but you’re the one who lets go first. I look into your eyes and you tried avoiding my eyes. I call you regularly even though you stopped calling me anymore. I was showing you genuine affection..romantic affection..but all you did label our relationship as a best friend relationship.”

“I thought…”

Tiffany did not let her finish. “And now you saw me wearing this necklace and you denied yourself with the truth again.”

“But it can’t be.” Taeyeon mumbled to herself.

“What is?! When you confessed to me, you told me to wear this when I’m ready to accept your love. It took more than a couple of years but now, I’ve gotten over all my fears and worries.” Tiffany took a deep breath. “I’m ready to love you, Taeyeon.”

“Fany-“

Tiffany cut her again. “I know it’s late and I’ve missed my chance. I know you have Nana now. She’s always been there for you when you needed her. She didn’t push you away. She stayed. She was-“

Tiffany’s words was cut short this time by Taeyeon’s lips. She was too shocked to respond. It was a short kiss but it was full of emotions. When Taeyeon pulled back, she’s already in tears.

“That ought to shut you up.” She smiled.

“But-“

“Nana and I are not together.”

“But-“

“She confessed to me but she did not ask me to be her girlfriend. She knew that I have another girl in my heart and she can’t be replaced.” Taeyeon cupped Tiffany’s face. “You’re the only one that I can love, Hwang Miyoung.”

Tiffany disregard the use of her real name. “Why did she kiss you?!” She did not bother to hide her jealous tone anymore.

Taeyeon laughed. “She was just saying goodbye.”

“Goodbye? A goodbye was supposed to be just a wave of the hand like this!” Tiffany waved her hand.

Taeyeon chuckled and wiped the traces of tears on Tiffany’s face. “You’re so cute when you’re jealous, Fany-ah.”

Taeyeon got off the bed. Tiffany was afraid that she was leaving but she got on her knees and kneeled. She reached out for Tiffany’s hands and she gave it to her.

“After all these years, my feelings never changed for you. Maybe it has but because it became even stronger now.” Taeyeon smiled at Tiffany. She saw Tiffany smiled for the first time today. “I was never dense too. I’m sorry because I was the coward this time around. I couldn’t bring myself into confessing again because I couldn’t take another rejection from you. But believe me, I never stopped loving you. I love you, Fany.”

“I love you too, my Taetae.” Tiffany showed her eyesmile.

Taeyeon pulled her into a hug. “Took you long enough.” She smiled to Fany then sealed the night with a kiss.

 

 


 

I was going to update earlier but i lost my internet connection.

Again, thank you for patiently waiting for my updates! :)

I'm just curious...