Toe Loop - 3

Edges and Toe Picks

A/N: Hi guys! I'm back! How's the story? Please do leave some comments on the box below.

Double updates for tonight so hold on to your seats! 

 

------------

 


Seoul, South Korea


Korea here I am!


Back at last after 5 years of slaving myself in training for an Olympic dream that turned to dust. Oh well... Let's just forget about that.


Wearing a blue sweater and denim skirt showing my knee brace and using my crutches, unnie and I walked out of the arrival area wearing our dark sunglasses. It was a slow walk considering that I'm in crutches but I don't care. Sitting in a wheelchair is not an option even though one of the flight attendants offered me a while ago. I declined nicely and walked out of the airplane with my head up staring straight ahead.


I don't want them to see me being vulnerable like that, riding a wheelchair looking like a complete failure. I still have my pride and I'm going to hold onto it.


A band of reporters and photographers welcomed us outside and luckily the airport security are nice enough to ward them off our path. I waved and bowed a little, a small smile escaping my lips and some 'Hi'.


"Krystal! Krystal! Over here! Look here!"


"Krystal! How's your knee? Is it healed already?"


"You're so beautiful Krystal-ssi! Marry me!"


"Jessica! You're so beautiful! You are still my Ice Princess!"


I almost choked in laughter when I heard it and covered my mouth with my scarf. It was unnie's title before when she was still skating and i remembered laughing out loud when I heard it for the first time. Because it really suited her before but now, I think the ice has melted.


"Oh my God! It's like seeing Elsa and Anna from Frozen whenever the two of you are together!"


"I'm definitely Anna, no doubt about that.." I mumbled to Jessi earning a glare from her but she's wearing a dark eyeglass so I don't know if it's really a glare. But I felt chills run down on my spine so it's an icy glare from Elsa....I mean Jessi.


We saw the van that the University sent to pick us up. Jessi's former coach, Mike Peterson is standing beside the van with a fatherly smile on his face. They shared a warm hug and a pat on Jessi's head. I tried to bow to Coach Mike as sign of respect but he stopped me and spoke in Korean fluently.


"No need to do that Krystal.. I don't want your knee to swell. Welcome back to Korea little Ice Princess!" He gave me a hug too and I reciprocated it. I knew him because of Jessi when she was still in UCB and skating. When I visited Jessi before, he treated us for dinner and gave me pointers in skating. He speaks like a father when teaching me, not like my own Dad who... Nevermind.


Coach Mike is a respectable skater who is a former Olympian himself. Mom knows him too that's why she trusted Jessica to her when she was in UCB. He doesn't have a family of his own because he devoted his life in ice skating. He said his students are his kids and ice skating is his wife.


"Coach.. I prefer Anna than Little Ice Princess please.." I joked at him and we shared a small laugh.


"Well then Anna and Elsa, welcome back to Korea! Let's go before a stampede happens. Your fans might snatch you away."


"Tssss... I'm not that famous like Yuna unnie. They're just curious if I'm still alive and walking. And besides, how did they know that we are arriving today? Jessi said she specifically choose the flight that will arrive at night so it's discreet." I asked him as I carefully enter the van. I laid my crutches on the car floor and propped my leg up.


"The University might have tipped the press that you are arriving. But don't worry, it will die down." Coach Mike sat in the front beside the driver while unnie sat beside me.


"It's fine.. they're not that savage. What's important is we're back home and Soojung is safe and recovering. When am I going to report at the team Coach?" Jessi asked him while I fumble for my phone playing with it.


The van started to move driving us to our new home. Coach Mike and Jessi continued to talk about the new job while I just play Super Mario on my phone. "You still have two weeks to rest and settle Jessi so don't rush. I know you're eager to start but just chill for the mean time."


I looked at Jessi and I saw her sigh staring outside the window. Maybe she's thinking about my injury again. I reached for her hand and gave it a squeeze and smiled at her. Unnie please don't bother yourself with me. I can do this... I know I can.


An hour later and we arrived at our new apartment. It's conveniently near the university so Jessi won't be bothered to ride a bus or subway. It's just a 5 minute walk to the uni. The unit is spacious and fully furnished. Some of our things were already shipped earlier that's why some boxes are still left untouched.

modern-loveseat.jpg


"Well, welcome home!" I exclaimed to her while standing at the middle of our spacious living room, spreading my arms making my crutches fall down on the floor laughing. I can still stand with my good leg so it's fine.


I flopped on the couch and buried my face on the pillow. Gosh. I miss Korea so much. The weather, the food, the culture, the shopping centers.


"We still have to fix this place tomorrow. Some of our things are still in the box at the corner. Would you like me to buy our dinner first? By the way remind me tomorrow to get us some phones each and--"


"Unnie, relax. Come here and sit beside me and just rest unnie. I'm not hungry just tired. Let's just rest and wake up early tomorrow so we can start unpacking."


Jess sat beside me and flopped herself down. Both of us staring in the ceiling enjoying our shared silence.


We're finally here, God knows what will happen but I know we can make it. We will live without his support because we don't need it. I have my own savings and investments while unnie has her own too and now that she will sign the contract with the team she will have a steady income.


As for my therapy, I can still pay for it. Mom also left something for us both that the amount can make us live comfortably until we die. Mom's insurance money was given to Dad and God knows where he spent it.


"Unnie, I'm sorry if I look like a worthless person right now."


"Soojung! " She snapped at me and cupped my face with her hands "You are not worthless remember that! You will overcome this, I will do everything to see you skate again and make your dreams come true."


I smiled at her with sadness in my eye "Unnie... What if my knees won't recover and I can't jump and land anymore?"


"You will Soojung. I promise you we will do anything to get that knee back to its original form."


"This is worst than having a sprain.."


She draped her arm around my shoulders and pulled me on her sides "We'll also meet your therapist tomorrow and from what I heard, she's the best in what she does. My friend said this therapist, she can help you get back to shape again. She help a sports superstar with a big injury to play again and win the championship."


"This friend of yours...." I raised my eyebrow to her curious of who it is "Is this someone I personally know?"


She smiled sadly looking outside on a starry night "Nah... You don't know this person.. and you shouldn't."


"Because?"


"Because I said so.."


"What if I want to know who it is?"


She took a deep breath and release it loudly "You really want to know huh? And I feel that you wouldn't stop until I tell you so, am I right?"


"You know me.. nothing can stop me."


"Fine..."


She sighed and played with her hands "Soojung promise me that you wouldn't be mad or disgusted at me when I tell you about it.."


"Oh my God unnie..." I feigned shock on her. "Don't tell me this friend of yours is a dirty old man!"


"Paboya! NO! Just let me talk and zip your mouth!" I made a zipping motion on my mouth and gave her an eyesmile.


"Okay... Well... This friend of mine we go way back in UCB. She's someone I can rely on and she comforted me when I was homesick and missing you and Mom." She brushed her hair back and smiled sadly "She was someone who made me believe in myself and treated me like I'm the most amazing person in this world. She was my world and i was hers.


She looked at me and I nodded at her to continue "This person was unnie's first love." My eyes widen in surprise when I heard it. Her first love. Wow. She is unnie's first love. Wait..


She.


Unnie was just smiling at me waiting for my reaction on her confession. Oh my Gahd...


Is unnie coming out to me?!


Not that it's bad, it was cool of her to tell it to me. And I don't have anything against the LGBTQ community because I support them too. I have friends before that swing the other way.


My eyes formed a silly smile teasing her "So.... She huh.. I knew it."


"Bwoah! What do you mean you knew it!?"


"Just continue your story Jess.." I smirked at her and lay down my head on her lap. "So.. what happened to the two of you?"


"We were a couple back then and it made my stay in UCB worthy. It was a wonderful feeling being with her. She treated me with care and I felt love and safe. She was someone I can't live without and I love her so much. But..."


"But... But what?"


"Dad intervened..."


"WHAT??! How did he knew about it?"


She shrugged her shoulders and just stared at space "I don't know how and I don't care anymore. He talked to me and ordered me to break up with her. Telling me it's disgusting and I'm gonna bring shame to him and our family if I continue my relationship with her."


"As if he's not disgusting... He cheated on Mom."


"Soojung..."


"Just continue unnie. What did you do?"


"More like what did Dad do. He also talked to her and scared her that he will inform the school about our relationship and he will crush her dreams. At first, she didn't minded it, she was a good hockey player--"


"Ohhhhh... Hockey player.. okayyyy.."


"Yah! Listen!"


Zip.


"You didn't know this... But we ran away once. Like 'let's-run-away-and-leave-them-all-behind-because-we-love-each-other' type of thing. Mom helped me by sending money to us and we stayed in L.A. hiding from Dad.


"Mom!? Mom knows about this!? Why didn't I knew about it?!"


"Because they didn't told you about it, you'll be distracted on your training."


"Tssssss...."


"So, we ran away and stayed in her cousin's house. Her cousin was super nice and she helped us get a ticket back to Korea. But of course, all fairytales must come to an end. Dad found us and dragged me back home, filed a restraining order in court that she has to stay 5 feet away from me or else she'll be deported."


Wow. Where was I when all this 'run away' drama unfolded?! Of course, training with Dad. But still, why didn't I know about it. I could have helped her and comforted unnie in times like that. I feel like a bad sibling now for not being there for her.


Unnie was so brave to run away like that.


"We almost got married, did you know that?" Her smile was still so sad that all I can do is to give her a hug to comfort her. "But we can't because we're still young. After all the drama, we decided to end our relationship and graduate, I never saw her again until today at the airport. I skated for a few years, won the Worlds, then Mom got sick and I retired."


"I can't get it.. you went on your separate ways but why is she helping you now? Did you got back together!? What the-- at the airport??"


She bit her lips not looking at me looking embarassed "No! Of course not! Coach Mike told her about my inquiry about a therapist and it turns out she knew someone. Coach gave me her number to call her, saying she's expecting it. After much deliberation, I called her. We chatted a little and she knows about what happened to you that's why she offered help. She gave me the number of the therapist to call. And she got a billboard in the airport."


She swallowed her pride just for me. Oh unnie...


"She's here in Korea, isn't she?"


She turned to me with furrowed brows "Yeah... She went back here but I don't know what she is doing. I didn't ask coach because it may look like I'm still interested on her."


"But YOU are still interested on her admit it Jess."


"I'm not. I got over her and I still have important things to do than think about her. Come on Soojung.." she stood up and went to our kitchen opening the empty fridge.


"Unnie~ what's her name by the way?" I asked her innocently but deep inside I'm planning on something.


"That" she pulled a bottled water from the fridge and closed it "is a secret I won't divulge on you. It's better not to know her Soojung, don't waste your time thinking how you can get us back together because we won't see each other again. The end." How did she knew I'm thinking about it. Geez.

cute-breakfast-bar-design.jpg


She went back to me and offered me a sip of water in her bottle but I declined. Unnie sat down beside me and smiled genuinely but I still see a bit of sadness in there. I held her hand and gave her a comforting smile. "Unnie, thank you for opening up to me. For the record, I don't feel disgusted about you. That's what you are and you listened to what your heart said. I'm sorry for what happened between you two... If Dad didn't broke the two of you up maybe I already had a sister in-law now helping you and maybe cooking dinner for us."


"Soojung...."


"Unnie promise me... When you see her again, take her back."


"What!? Soojung it's not that easy.. Love is never easy."


I snickered at her and chuckled "Nothing is easy in this world unnie. You have to work hard for it, you have to grab it when it comes to you. Jess, think about your self first before other people. If you meet her again and both of you still feel the same way, don't waste your time. Get back together and be happy. Think about the consequences later on. I love you Jess and I want you to be happy."


There were tears in her eyes when I looked back at her making me laugh. She flicked my forehead and pinched my cheeks. Unnie~


"You haven't even had a boyfriend yet you speak like that. Tell me, have you fallen in love Soojung without me knowing?"


"Is being in love with Johnny Depp and Gong Yoo acceptable Jess? Johnny's been my boyfriend for years, the time he finds out will be the time we break up. While Gong Yoo, he's just sweet and everything nice.." She picked up my crutches and jokingly held it up trying to slam it to me. I clutch my belly laughing at her. She was expecting a serious answer damn it.


"Fudge you Soojung! I'm talking about real boyfriend not your imaginary ones. Seriously now, no one interests you before?"


"Do you think I'll be interested to someone when Dad is always at my back warding off potential suitors. He's like a fly swatter, swatting any guy who will approach me in the skating rink. I went on a date once with this blonde guy in Canada but it's just one date. We don't have something in common and I didn't see anything on him that interests me."


"Dad did that so you can focus on your training. You know him, winning is everything."

 

 

 


"I know... That's why I knew, Johnny and I are meant to be.." I told her holding my chest dramatically earning a pillow slam from her.