Toe Loop - 10

Edges and Toe Picks

A/N: Hi guys! Thank you for the positive feedbacks I get on this story. I never intended this to be a comedic story but I think the characters just poured out of my brain like that. I think that's what you get when you watch too much rom-coms and kdramas. 

Anyways, happy long Labor day weekend! 

Subscribe, comment, holler! I would love to hear your feedbacks! Thank you to all our readers who upvoted the story. 😉

Peace yow! ✌

-------------

 

 

Krystal's POV

 


After our late breakfast, Dani and Tia entertained me with their funny stories. We stayed at Dani's room while Amber is busy at the laundry room washing the wet towels and clothes. I called Jinri and told her that I will be staying at Amber's place until dinner. She teased me asking for the story but I said it can wait.


Their house is really spacious and very beautiful. It has a magnificent view of the ocean and a courtyard, with a 2-seater swing where you can sit at any time of the day and marvel at God's creation. Dani's room is beside Amber's and it was also spacious.


I felt like a teenager all over again hanging out with the two. Turns out, Dani is really a fan of mine because she has a poster of me hanging at the back of her door. Dani did my nail polish while Tia did Dani's pedicure.


They will be starting next week as Freshmen at Korea University. I told them my sister Jess will be working there and our house is just 5 minutes away from the uni. They were really excited asking me if I will be hanging out at the uni too. I told them probably because after my therapy and if I can skate again, I'll be using the rink of KU to practice.


Dani said they will be staying at Amber's house in Seoul and not in the dorms. Grandma decided to stay here in Jeju and will visit them in Seoul once in a while. Dani is a very jolly girl, and she obviously wants to have an older sister who has the same interests as her. Amber is not an option, because she doesn't do girly stuffs as lamented by the two.


She told me about this one girl that Amber met in the club and had a one night stand (Dani knows about all the girls Amber has slept with and it made me feel insecure all of a sudden). Turns out, the girl is the daughter of a public official in Jeju having a vacation. The girl became obsessed with Amber and it creeped them out because the girl will follow Amber wherever she will go. Even had the guts to break into their house and stupidly entered Dani's room thinking it was Amber's. When Dani, Amber, and Grandma returned from their dinner at the hotel to celebrate Amber's birthday, she found the girl in her bed when she opened the lights. She freaked out and screamed, alarming Amber and Grandma. The girl was so embarrassed, Amber called the police and filed a Restraining Order that the girl should not be near Amber or her family within 50 feet. She didn't file a Trespassing case because the father of the girl begged Grandma and the girl was sent home to Seoul.


That was why Amber has security cameras installed inside the house and at the courtyard. The lock system is also state of the art. Dani said their house was small before but when Amber came 3 years ago, she bought the land beside them and renovated the house making it big and modern.


I want to ask her about her parents but I'm too shy to do it. I don't want her to think that I'm a nosy unnie.


Grandma called us for lunch and my mouth watered on the food she made. I think I'm in heaven seeing Bulgogi and lots of Kimchi, plus some grilled fish, shrimps, clams, squid, and Kimchi soup. Amber served the food to me and even took out the shell of the shrimps then feeding it to me. It was the best lunch I ever had.


I was so full I can't move! Dani and Tia are on the couch rubbing their tummies, smiling like they just got back from heaven. I chuckled at their cuteness and leaned my head at Amber's shoulder. We are still at the dining table sipping Green tea. She said it's good for digestion, also preparing a cup each for the two teens.


"I'm so full...."


"You eat like a dinosaur!" I pinched her arm and my finger traced a scar there. I looked at her and at her arms but she just smiled and placed my head again on her shoulders.


"Dani said they'll be starting next week in KU. You'll be with them in Seoul and work?"


"Yup... My cousin Yuri was offered a job in KU to be an assistant coach in their Hockey Team. She wants me to assist her and be her consultant because she said she needs my expertise."


"My unnie is also going to be an assistant coach and trainer at KU." I looked at her wondering who might be her cousin is. "So it means your cousin and my sister will be working together."


"Small world, right?" Amber said grinning at me. I'll text unnie later to ask her if she knows someone named Yuri.


"So... Expertise, huh? You really that great?" I said teasing her wriggling my eyebrows. She took her iPhone and played a video of a hockey game. She gave it to me urging me to watch it.


"See for yourself.."


In the video, her hair was still long before and she wears it in a ponytail. I saw her wearing the helmet and clutching her stick. The game started and a few skating, running, and bumping, I saw her team mate passing the round thing to the rushing Amber. Amber catched the black round thing with her stick and made a powerful swinging motion towards the goal in one swift move. The goalie didn't even realize that the round thing is already inside the goal. That's how fast Amber is and the whole crowd rejoiced. The video ended and I gave the phone to Amber.


"That was amazing.."


"I know.." she flipped her imaginary long hair making me laugh softly. She's really funny and annoying at the same time.


"But why did you retire early? You still have a lot of years to spend and it seems your team and the fans love you."


"I'll tell the story to you but let's go up in my room." I raised my eyebrow at her thinking that she wants to do something "Yah! We're going to watch a movie in Netflix or maybe take a nap."


"Okay~.."


"ert.."


"YAH! Amber do you want another punch?" I said bringing my fist in her face.


"Ahe... Just kidding Soojung. Let's go.." she gave me my crutches and we said goodbye to Dani and Tia. The two just waved at us looking like they are still in a food coma.


We sat in her bed leaning our backs on the headboard. She placed a pillow at the back of my knee and gave another pillow to me that I can hug.


"So, what do you want to watch?" She asked me fiddling on the remote. I thought of a better idea and told her.


"How about you show me your previous games? I wanna see more of you playing.." she looked at me incredibly and smiled.


"Are you sure? It's not a fun game to watch. You might get bored.."


"Nah... Let's watch then you continue your story." She nodded at me and opened YouTube on her TV searching for a channel. The YouTube channel has all of the videos where Amber was the focus. She played the playlist and it started.


"I was 18 when I was drafted in the league. Still a freshman in college back in L.A. and my sister Jackie, she's incredible you got to meet her, is on her last year in college. I told you last night mom and dad had a divorce and we didn't live either with the two of them. We lived in convenience store food and noodles so being drafted in the Pro League was a dream come true. It means contracts. Contracts means money. So there, I became part of the team and trained with them. The coach saw my potential and how my arm swings." Amber yawned and she look sleepy. I pulled her head in my lap laying it on the pillow she gave me.


"We won a crucial game because of my deadly swing. Coach gave me a sole job: to swing and put that puck in the goal then win the championship. I did what he wanted and brought our team to 3 straight championships. The media love me even though I don't show my face much in public. Although I do photoshoots for sports magazines and some endorsements for Nike. Money started to pour in, fame, girls.." she looked at me with sadness in her eyes "I even had a girlfriend who was a Victoria's Secret model" she chuckled. 


"Jackie managed the money and thankfully did good because she put it on good investments. If not for her, I won't be living my life like this now." She played a video of a game and I focus my eyes on the game. "That's the game where I got my injury. I'm warning you, it's not good." My eyes followed the skating Amber in ice and when the round thing was passed at her she swung her arms like how she did it on the other videos we watched. What happened next made me scream in horror.


"Oh my God!!" I covered my mouth in shock seeing Amber being slammed on the board hard by an opponent, making her drop in the ice unconscious. The camera focused on her unconscious body in the ice floor and there were blood on her face. If she weren't wearing a helmet, she definitely will have brain damage because of the impact. Her arm was twisted making my eyes wide and winced. She was placed on a stretcher and out of the game.


She turned to her side facing my body still lying on my lap. "I told you it's not good."


"What happened to your arm!?"


"Broken collarbone, fractured arm, the surgeons had a hard time fixing it. My whole arm and part of my shoulders was in a cast for months." I traced my index finger in the scars that is now covered with her tattoos. "After the recovery period, my cousin Yuri brought a therapist from Korea. Her name is Luna Park and she's a very good therapist."


"Luna unnie is my therapist now!"


"I thought so too... Especially when she called me days ago telling me that a certain patient of hers named Krystal Jung with an ACL injury is coming in Jeju. She's hoping I bump into her. Turns out I bumped to Jung Soojung, the drunk girl in crutches."


"Silly.." I pinched her nose making it red. She laughed softly at my action and buried her face in the pillow.


"Luna helped me recover, my arms strengthened again making me move again like I was before. But I know it will never be the same swing but I still tried. I went back to the team and gave them another championship cup. I was tired, of all the fame and the jealousy of my teammates because I led them to another cup. I want a normal life, that's why that championship was my last performance and it was a blast. At the after-game press conference, I announced my retirement and walked out of the conference with my sister Jackie and cousin Yuri following me."


"So you just dropped the mic and went out.."


"Yep.."


"And left everything behind in L.A. and went here in Korea.?"


"Yes, and I'm half Korean thanks to Mom so I had access."


"What happened to the model?" Yeah, where's that model going to enter in the story again.


"Oh, we broke up before I finished my therapy. She left me and married her agent in Vegas because she thought I'll never be back in the game. I had the Benz sportscar I gave her towed and sold it in the junk yard."


"Wow... Epic." I traced the tattoos on her arms and marvel at it. Must be painful when she had this drawing but not the same pain that she suffered when she had the injury.


She laid on her back looking up at me tucking the fallen strands of hair in my ear. She has this faint scar on the side of her right eyebrow making me trace it too.


"Enough about me, I wanna see you skate." I chuckled at her and nodded. She searched for my name in YouTube and various videos of my competitions showed up. She played one video where I was just 10 years old competing in Russia.


"I look so young in there..."


"You're so cute!"


"Haha... I was 6 years old when I started training. My Dad was my trainer and he was training me and my unnie. She's also an ice skater but she retired early. Mom was his former ward, Cecilia Jung the famous Korean ice skater and almost Olympian. They got married and had me and unnie then Dad wanted to make us his products too that's why at a very young age unnie and I spent our time in ice. I won the Junior Worlds and the Worlds Championship and various competitions. Even have my own record that no one has broken until now."


Another video played and it was the 18 year old me competing in Switzerland. I remember that competition, it is where I set my ISU record. "I look like Dani here, don't I?" She nodded and watched how I twirl and jump on the ice.


"I never had a normal childhood and the only friend I kept is Jinri. Some of the friends I met in High School had already forgotten about me. All I do was train and train because Mom and I had one goal. For me to enter the Olympics. It was home-school-skating rink-home for me. Then I was given a chance to train in Canada that's why we moved there. That's when the change in our life happened. Unnie was studying college in UCB and I'm stuck in Canada."


"My cousin Yuri is from UCB too!"


"Maybe they know each other.."


She played the video of the performance where I landed badly on ice. Amber held my hand and placed it on to cover it. She saw how I jumped and landed badly on ice clutching my knee. The camera even focused on my face contorted in pain with tears falling.


"Mom has cancer back then and I lost her the night before the tournament. It was my tribute to her, my one final hope that our dream will come true. Sadly it didn't and here I am now." She kissed the back of my hand looking at me with compassion. "My Dad dropped me from his training pool a month after my surgery and took on new trainees. Just like that, no father like gesture and assurance that 'You'll be okay' and 'You'll get back to shape'. That's why unnie decided that she will be the one to train me after I finish the therapy with Luna unnie. Coach Mike Peterson will also help, he's a great skater and a friend of mom. I just don't know if when I can skate again, but Luna unnie is very positive and she encourages me a lot."


"Luna is the queen of motivations! I remember being shouted by her to go with it, pump it, that I can do it. She's good and I know she will really help you recover. And I know Coach Mike he's a great coach and trainer." She sat up brushing her bangs away from her sleepy eyes and turned off the TV.


"Why don't we take a nap Soojung.. I'm really sleepy." I slided myself down on the bed and she laid down beside me putting her right arm below my head.


"That's your bad arm, I'm not going to make that a pillow!"


"Then what do you suggest? I can't spoon you because your bad leg will feel the weight of your body. You can face me sideways with your good leg and make my chest as your pillow again like this morning, remember?" Hmmm.. not bad. But why are we acting like a married couple?! We don't even know what we are!?


Just go with it Soojung... There's nothing to lose..


"Why can't my leg just heal already!" I pouted at her annoyed at my bad leg. I turned to my side facing her and wrapped my arm on her waist. I closed my eyes and buried my face in her body.


Her breathing became shallow after a few minutes. When I looked up at Amber's face she's already napping with light snores included.


"Why do you make me do things I haven't done before?" I murmured, tracing the contour of her face with my fingertip, her nose, her marvelous jaw that I want to glide my nose on it and just smell her perfume.


"You make me forget about the bad things in life and look forward to good things that are coming."


If it's a sin to be with her, call me a sinner.


I placed a kiss on her forehead then traced her lips with my fingertip. Her rosy lips that makes me stare like I'm gonna pounce on her.


"You make me want to stay beside you and forget about everything.."


I buried my face on her body, getting warmth. Making me sleepy and woozy, but before sleep pulls me in I heard Amber's voice whispering to my ear.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


"Then stay by my side."


It left a smile on my lips as I drift off to dreamland.