Axel - 52

Edges and Toe Picks

A/N: Hey chingus! Here's our second update for today! 

This chapter was inspired by a true to life incident that shocked the skating world back in 1994. 

Thank you to all our subscribers! 

Peace yow! ✌

 

 

-------

 

 

 

"Soojung-ah!!! Amber!! Niilo!!! Help!!"

 

 

 

 


I ran to the direction of Jessica's voice and my eyes went wide with what I saw.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


A tall guy wearing an all black ensemble of leather jacket and pants, with a black baseball cap and facemask was trying to hold on to his dear life while Soojung does a choke hold on him.


Jess was clutching her arm while sitting on the floor, obviously hurt. Niilo came running too from the direction of the lockers and saw what is happening. I immediately told him to get a hold of that man Soojung is choking.


Soojung tighten her hold making the guy gasp for breath making his skin pale. I went to the guy and punched his stomach, angry at what he did. Is someone trying to hurt my Soojung intentionally?!


And when the hell did Soojung learned how to make that choke hold?! Damn....


Niilo held the guy and connected his knee on the guy's stomach making him kneel. Security guards came to our aid with Niilo translating that they saw what happened on the CCTV. They placed a cable tie on his wrists and on his ankle so he won't escape while the cops are on the way.


"Unnie!! Are you okay?! Does it hurt? Tell me!!" We helped Jessica to stand up and made her seat on the bleacher. A first aider came and checked her vitals.


"I'm okay Soojung... My arm hurts though but nothing major. How about you? Are you okay? Ouch~" she winced in pain when the first aider checked her arm. It has a big bruised that turned red, meaning something hard was smacked on it.


"What the hell happened?!"


"This guy.." Soojung went to the kneeling guy clenching her teeth and kicked his stomach hard "attacked us all of a sudden thinking he's a ninja. He tried to hurt me with his baton but I dodged him and pushed him away. Unnie gave him a punch on his nose while I tried to punch him too. He pushed me to the wall and when he attacked again, unnie protected me from him by covering me. He's trying to hurt my legs with that baton Am! I kicked him then immediately grabbed his neck and did the choke hold on him. Tssss.... Umm!" She kicked him again that's why I held her and dragged her away from the attacker.


"!! You don't mess with a Jung! Umm!" Another kick "I'm more ninja than you."


She's mad, utterly mad.


I kneeled on the floor shaking my head while looking at the guy smirking "You messed with the wrong sisters... Tsk tsk tsk... Their Grandfather was a former boxer... and these sisters are deadly as . I pity you." I told him in English.


Niilo went to me and informed that the police are coming to take the attacker away. I took the mask off his face and stared at the guy in front of me catching his breath. He's Korean....


Why do I have a feeling this is some dirty trick the other competitors are making.


"Who are you? Why did you attacked Krystal Jung?!"


"I was just paid to do everything! Mianhe! I'm really sorry!"


"Who paid you?" The police came and Niilo interpreted for us. Telling that we should file a complaint. They already informed the organization and said they will take action to whoever plotted it. They took the guy in custody to be held in the station for questioning.


The ambulance came and we took Jess in the nearby hospital to check on her arm if she has any fracture. They did some X-ray in her left arm and luckily there was no broken bones whatsoever. Just a big bruise that is now turning violet. The doctor puts her arm in a sling just to be sure it will be safe and some pain relievers.


After making sure that Jess is okay and a medical report is written, Niilo accompanied us to the police station to file the complaint and also to check if they already knew the motive. Mr. Jung and the rest of the representatives from the ISU were there waiting for us and checking on the Jung sisters.


A few sports reporters was also there asking for a statement from the sisters. This will be a breaking news in a matter of minutes. Soojung doesn't like answering questions from the media and Jess is not well. Arrrghhhhhhh! Vic isn't here to save our asses. So it all comes down to.....


Me.


Aw.


I don't even answer sports reporters before when I was still in the hockey league. The first and last time I did a speech was when I retired!


Oh gosh...


Should I step up?


I turned to the sisters and I saw Soojung comforting her unnie while sitting on a bench inside the station. Mr. Jung was the one talking to the inspector with Niilo as interpreter.


Reporters and photographers are being held back by the police who are trying to get a glimpse of the sisters. I went to Soojung's side and closed her parka and pulled the hood over her head. I also did Jessica's and smiled at Soojung "Babe, I'll just talk to the reporters. They're going crazy out there.... Maybe if we throw a bone at them they'll stop asking. I'll just talk to the lawyer of the organization, okay?"


"Are you sure babe?" She rubbed the back of my neck with worry in her eyes. She knows I don't like reporters... I nodded at her and kissed her cheeks "This will be short... And it will be cold Amber they'll be talking to. I know they miss Amber the cold hockey player."


"Tell them how we beat the hell out of that dude. Aisssh!! How dare him try to hurt my sister! Whoever did this has a big jealousy over you Soojung."


Soojung sighed and rubbed her unnie's back calming Jess "The police are already questioning him unnie.. after this let's go back to the hotel so you can rest. Babe.." she held my hand smiling "thank you for coming immediately... I don't know how long I can keep him in that hold earlier."


"You were great Soojung, you actually almost killed him on your choke hold! A few more minutes and he could have collapse due to asphyxia. Did he hurt you babe?"


"Nah.." she grinned at me then doing that action Bruce Lee does to his nose with his hand looking like a martial artist, swiping her hand on her nose. She looks cute doing that "Kyungie taught me that move... She also taught me some Krav Maga techniques she learned from her Dad." Oh . I think my life is on the line... Hahaha!

anigif_enhanced-27180-1414095602-1.gif


"Oh God... You look deadly a while ago. That's scary." She flicked my forehead grinning mischievously.


"Yeah..I am. And that's what I'm gonna do to you if I catch you cheating on me." I raised my eyebrow at her chuckling.


"Soojung! You know I won't do that to you! I'm loyal forever."


"I know.. hehe.." she gave me a kiss on my cheek and patted my "Come on Amber J. Liu, face your old friends and have a chat with them so they will stop. I trust you babe, you can do that." Looking brave, I nodded at her and smiled.


The lawyer ushered me outside to the delight of the reporters waiting for an update. They started hovering at me now with their recorders ready to hear what happened. Camera flashes blinding me.


"Good morning to all of you, my name is Amber J. Liu and I am part of the training team of Ms. Krystal Jung from South Korea. Today, I'm here to answer all your questions pertaining to the incident that happened this morning. You may ask one question at a time please.... Let's start."


"Amber! Welcome back to the sporting world!" I cringed on what the caucasian reporter said but I'm still smiling coldly. "What happened this morning?"


I took a deep breath and narrated to them in a short speech what happened "It was around past 8:00 in the morning and we just finished practicing on the ice rink when the Jung sisters was attacked by an assailant. His identity is still being checked by the Police and investigation is being conducted as of now. Krystal Jung is fine and not hurt, but unfortunately, Jessica Jung suffered a bruise on her left arm due to being hit by a baton from saving her sister."


One reporter raised his hand and asked "Is Ms. Jessica Jung okay now?"


I nodded at him "Yes she is. Her sister is assisting her right now. They will be giving their statement to the police any minute and after that, the police will be the one to inform you about the situation."


Another one raised his hand "Amber, do you think this assault is some kind of plot to make Krystal Jung miss the event tomorrow? She is a top contender on the Ladies singles and a favorite to win the gold medal, and we heard she is here for redemption. What are your thoughts about this?" Wow... Should I answer that? Ottoke...


"A-as I have said, the police are still investigating. They will be the one to reveal whatever it is. I want to assure all of you that Krystal Jung will be there tomorrow on the rink and will join the competition. No one can stop her from contending, we worked so hard to be in this place now."


"Amber! Did they fought with the attacker? A source told us that the attacker was pale when he was brought here in the station and with a broken bloody nose." I chuckled on what the reporter said scratching my head. They looked at me with interest and listened "Well, yes the sisters fought with their attacker. I can't go on details but I assure you, they fought well." The reporters laughed amusely at what I said.


"Is that based on experience Amber?" They laughed again when the question was thrown at me.


"Partly, yes. Hahaha..." it's true hehehe...


"Amber... When are you going back to the Professional League. Your fans are waiting for you to hold a hockey stick again." I smiled wistfully at them and shook my head.


"I have retired from the league and plans of coming back is far from my mind. I'm focusing on more important matters right now, like Krystal Jung's training and my duty as one of the trainers on a hockey team at Korea."


They all nodded, getting what I said. So it seems they are already contented with my answers. Maybe it's time to say goodbye and go back inside.


"I would like to thank all of you for your concern with the sisters. Please do support Ms. Krystal Jung's bid for tomorrow..."


A reporter raised his hand and I recognized him as the reporter who was always trailing on me before when I was in the league. A good friend of mine and the only one I answer personal questions before. I waved at him and gave him a friendly smile.


"Yes David, what is your question?"


"Ehem... Looks like you changed a lot Amber. You seem so warm now hahaha!" I scratched my neck smiling at them. Errr.. so I don't look cold now not like before. "You said coming back is far from your mind. Is that because of that ring on your finger? Is that a wedding ring Amber Liu??" I chuckled amusely at him grinning at me. You sly fox... The press suddenly became curious, all eyes on my hand with the ring which I discreetly placed inside the pocket of my parka.


"Hahaha... We are here for the news about the assault. Please do support the bid of Ms. Krystal Jung tomorrow.." the lawyer whispered to me that I tell them there will be a proper press conference to be conducted tomorrow. "There will be a press conference that will be conducted by the organization tomorrow before the event. Let's focus on the competition and not on my personal life. I am merely a trainer here and not a competitor."


"But Ms. Jung and you are an item... Right?"


"David, my man. Are you a gossip writer now?!" He made a peace sign on me grinning.


"I saw the scandal in a Korean web site. It says there that you and Ms. Jung are living together." Paparazzis are really good at digging. I took a deep breath and bowed my head, then lift it up smiling at them.


"Yes... We are together." Camera bulbs came flashing in rapid succession. I held my hand to them to keep quiet because they are asking me questions all at the same time.


"Amber!! Does it mean the two of you are already married?!"


"Tell us!!! When did the two of you got married!!"


"Where did the two of you got married??! I heard third marriage is not allowed there!"


Errrr.... I shouldn't have answered that... I have to get out of here. But I have to clear it first or these reporters will have a feast on our lives.


"Guys, guys! I thought all of you are sports reporters?! When did all of you became gossip reporters?!" They all laugh at what I said embarassed of what they are doing. "Let's focus on the competition tomorrow, okay? To answer all your questions, No. We are not married.... Yet." I smiled at them making them excited. "Let's make a deal... I will give all of you complete access on a press conference we will do when we announce our marriage a few months from now. But please, keep the news of our relationship to yourselves as of now. I don't want that news to come out in time of this event. This is a request me and Ms. Jung asks all of you... Please? " They all nodded at me and made a thumbs up.


Phewww.... Soojung will kill me.


"Thank you very much for your time. We will see you all tomorrow." I bowed at them and went inside again to join the sisters.


It was cold but I can feel beads of sweat rolling down on my forehead. Did I revealed a lot about our personal life?! Aisssh!! Vic will kill me. And Soojung too. I should call Vic later to tell her about what happened and to make a statement back in Korea.


After giving our statements, the Head of Police assured us that they will take immediate action on the case. I asked him discreetly for the name of the attacker and he said the name is Lee Kwangsoo. We said goodbye and Niilo drove us in the hotel to rest and to call our family back in Korea about the incident. Jessica's phone rang while we're in the car and it was Doc Soo frantically asking Jess in a loud voice what happened. Soojung and I controlled our laugh when we saw Jess biting her nails while listening to her girlfriend giving her a lecture on what happened.


"But Soo..."


"Yes..."


"But--"


"I know Love but--"


Soojung and I turned to each other when we heard Jessica say 'Love'. We giggled earning a glare from her. She was blushing! Hahaha! Where's the Amazon Jessica this morning?!


"You're embarassing me right now~"


"Yes my arm still hurts but not like earlier... Yes the doctor gave me some painkillers.."


"Fine... Yes I'll tell Dad you said Hi. You take care too and sleep. I'll call you later, okay? I love you..." she smiled sweetly making us doing a gagging sound. We heard Doc Soo's laugh over the phone making us laugh too.


"Kyaaaaaaaa!!!! That's so disgusting Unnie!"


"YAH!! Soojung!! I don't complain when you and this monkey do anything mushy in front of me!"


"I can't believe I'm seeing this tsk tsk...." I shook my head clicking my tongue.


"Let's talk later Love... Okay bye!" She ended the call then threw a box of tissue in my direction.


We arrived in the hotel and went directly to the lounge since we haven't eaten our breakfast. The staffs assisted us and the organization gave two bodyguards to watch over our group. The incident already spreaded around the hotel and other skaters went to our table asking if the sisters are okay.


I saw the group of Suzy Bae at the other side having coffee and I can see from her expression that she's not liking the attention the sisters are having. Looks like she's having a fight with her boyfriend judging on how she looks at the guy and her lips moving.


I texted Vic asking her to check the background of Lee Kwangsoo. She replied that she will send me the details immediately after Zhoumi gives her the information. He works on the National Intelligence Service so it's a piece of cake for him to produce accurate datas.


The attacker is Korean... There's only two possible suspects. One is, the mastermind purposely got a Korean to attack Soojung because the attacker will understand whatever information they can hear from us while in surveillance. Or second, it's a fellow Korean who is the mastermind in all of this because they are jealous or mad with Soojung coming back to the skating scene.


And that second suspect is none other than Suzy Bae's group since she's the only Korean skater second to Soojung who is participating in this event. Soojung has been telling me before ever since Japan that Suzy Bae was giving her the cold shoulder when she started competing again after the injury.


"Am..." I heard Soojung calling me and I turned to her wiping the side of with the napkin. "Yup? You want to rest now babe?" She nodded at me and the three of us stood up from the table to end our dining. Soojung assisted her unnie as we passed through other tables with some of the guests and fellow skaters throwing in support for the two especially to Soojung.


I took a glance again at Suzy Bae's group and I saw her boyfriend talking on the phone looking frustrated. I heard from Mr. Jung that this Minho guy is a chaebol and he's the one financing Suzy Bae's skate training.


It's possible....


I let Soojung accompany Jess in her room to rest while I wait for Vic's call on the couch. After half an hour, she texted me to get my lap top so we can have a video conference through Skype. After a few moments, their call connected and I waved at Zhoumi and Vic on a three way conference call. Zhoumi is at his office while Vic is at hers too.


"Hey Amber! What's up? How's the Jungs'?"


"Hyung! Jessica unnie is already fine just a bruise on her left arm. No broken bones. The sisters fought the attacker."


"Amber.." Vic called me "Are you okay?"


"I'm fine jiejie... By the way, I kinda made a statement earlier with the sports press. I said some information about the incident and a little bit about my personal life. Can you handle that for us back there Vic? You know what to do hehe... David was there and I know you can handle him."


"Don't worry Ber, I'm not your cousin and publicist for nothing. So here's the thing, Zhoumi found something on that Lee Kwangsoo."


"Ber, he works at a security agency here in Seoul owned by the Lee family. The son of the Lee family is named Minho who is now acting as Suzy Bae's major sponsor in skating. The company is backing up the finances of her training and that guy who attacked the sisters is Suzy Bae's personal bodyguard. So in short, they are the prime suspects on this attack. I already prompted the foreign service department to coordinate with the authorities there at Finland."


"Thanks Hyung, you're the best."


"Anything for Ber-ber hahaha... How can I not say yes when it's your jiejie asking it. Yobeo, I'll see you later! Po po!" I cringe at the display of affection Zhoumi gave to my cousin. Vic just made a heart finger on the camera and gave a flying kiss to her boyfriend. Ekk...


"Tell me jiejie... I didn't witness that... My eyes!"


"Pabo! It's not just you and Soojung who can do that! Just tell Soojung goodluck tomorrow and stay safe Ber. Send my regards to Jessica too... I'll call Jackie to tell her you're all okay. Bye bye!"

 

I turned off the lap top and sat in the couch thinking deeply. Why would they do such drastic measures just to make sure they win?


Of course... She always come in second place in competitions this year.


I opened my laptop again and searched Suzy Bae's name in Google. A lot of news articles appeared and I clicked on one article which was dated last year. It was the skating championship Soojung joined where she got her injury. It says there that if Soojung did finish her performance, she could have won the event. Suzy Bae was compared to her and the latter only placed fourth in the event. But she didn't get a ticket to the Olympics.


So she is also looking for a chance to get that win. Only one slot will be given tomorrow. Based on Suzy's performance on the events she joins and where Soojung joins too, she already improved but she either placed second or third and Soojung always takes home the first place.


Maybe that's the reason why they took Mr. Jung as Suzy's new coach after Soojung's injury. They were hoping for her to finally get the first place. They didn't expect Soojung to come back strong after her rehabilitations.


What if.... they did this so that Soojung can't compete tomorrow? It will be a sure shot for her in case my girlfriend failed to compete. What's this? Another Nancy Kerrigan-Tonya Harding case?


If that's true, well, they didn't thought well about their plan. Tsk tsk... people.


The show must go on tomorrow. If that Lee Kwang Soo won't tell anything to the police, we will have a hard time proving Suzy Bae's connection on the attempted assault.


I dialled the number of the concierge, it connected after a single ring.


"Good afternoon Ms. Liu, how can we help you?"


"Hi... Please tell Niilo to come up here in our suite."


"Certainly mam."


"Thank you."


I need someone who I can trust around here.