Lutz - 16

Edges and Toe Picks

 

 

 
Jessica thought stepping forward to Yuri will be easy as 1, 2, 3. But no, it isn't.


For Yuri, Jessica stepping forward to her brings different kinds of emotions making her nervous.

 


First step. Yuri's heart palpitates.

 


Second step. Her hands get clammy and her hold on the wine bottle slipping away slowly. Better that they were in the grassy lawn. If not, the bottle will break into pieces possibly hurting them two.

 


She needs her pills. Those little blue pills that she started to take again since last week. Since she knew that Jessica is already in Korea.


Yuri has been practicing on how she will approach Jessica on their upcoming first meeting tomorrow. The team will have a welcome party for the new coaches and trainers. She's practicing how she will talk to the girl she ever love without looking stupid and pitiful. That her hands will not shake uncontrollably and fidget on Jessica's presence.


She didn't know that their meeting will be sooner than she expected. When Victoria called her to get help extract Amber and her girlfriend in the airport, her heart was already doing some marching band inside. She saw the photos in the internet, she knows the younger Jung because Jessica shows her photos of her younger sister before. What surprised her is seeing her cousin with the younger Jung in those photos. One look at the back of the supposed boyfriend and Yuri knows it's Amber. It was an overnight sensation, their photos together in the beach.


The younger Jung is known for being so private about her life that the media and netizens instantly became interested on who might be the guy the younger Jung skater is so smitten. Yuri was even more surprised on her cousin's change. Because Amber is the one who's so smitten with the younger skater that she didn't let go of the girl ever since they met.


When she went to the airport, it didn't sink in on her mind that the older Jung sister will be there. Yuri thought it's so stupid of her not to think that Jessica will be there. She just thought of it after they bumped into each other.


When Jessica mumbled her name, her stomach made somersaults, twist and turns. But her body betrayed her and instantly stepped back a few feet away from the girl. She thought she's ready, she thought she already defeated the monsters. She thought so....


She doesn't have a problem before, she lived quietly in Korea making CFs and earning money on endorsements and occasional guestings. The anxiety attacks were way over back in college. The monster from under the bed came back when she learnt from Coach Mike that Jessica will be joining the team too.


That's when she started to have those bad dreams again. Those monsters hiding under the bed resurfaced, making her sleepless and fidgety. How will she face the girl she cared for all her life when the mere mention of her name makes her stupid. How can she hold that beautiful hands again when her own hands starts to shake just by feeling her presence.?


She doesn't want the girl to see her breakdown and look stupid. She doesn't want Jessica to pity her. She doesn't want the girl to know that she tried to end her life just because of what happened to them. It was a cowardly act that Yuri realized later on.

 


Third step. Her hands gets all shaky. The bottle of Merlot falling in the grass thumping. Luckily the bottle didn't break, same as how Yuri's heart broke into pieces the moment she agreed to her and Jessica's break up.

 


She was against it but like Mr. Jung said, she can't give to his daughter the life Jessica wanted. After all, she's just a hockey player with no future. The girl is a promising figure skater with a bright future in Ice skating.


Not being able to hold Jessica's hand was painful for Yuri, but be away within 5 feet to her is suicide. Her life revolves around Jessica, how can she live another day without the girl by her side. She's her personal cheerleader, her medicine to her sickness, her blanket on a cold winter night.


Yuri was the moon that illuminates the night, Jessica was the stars shining beside her. Losing Jessica was like losing the brightness of the moon at night. Her life became dark and meaningless.


For Jessica, Yuri was her strength and her weakness. The girl gives her strength to overcome difficulties in her studies and training. She helps her on her form and her workout, always cheers her up when her Father scolds him or uses foul language on her. Yuri was her weakness. She can bend in an instant just by Yuri's gaze, sweet smile, or cute wink.

 


Fourth step. Jessica is just a feet away from Yuri and she can see the trembling hands of the girl she ever love. One of the wine bottles already slid on the ground. The other being held tightly by Yuri. Jessica wants to comfort her and sooth her. To assure her that she's not going anywhere.

 


"Soo-sooyeon.... I told you to-to-to stay f-five feet away...." the tan girl can't help it but stutter at the beautiful girl in front of her. She tried to step back but the girl stepped forward. "Don't come near me-me... I beg you-you.." she closed her eyes and held the bottle tightly in her arms. Her knees are shaking making the girl in front of her shed a tear.


What happened to the girl she love? Why is she acting like this? Did their break up also broke the girl's soul same as how her life went out of her body? How she skated her way to victory with false smiles. How happy she is to disappoint her backstabbing cheating Father when she announced her retirement from the skating world and take care of her ailing mother.


This is bad. Yuri's having an anxiety attack. I have to make her feel comfortable to me first before I make my move and win her heart again, Jessica said to herself.


"Yul... Give me the bottle of wine.. I'll bring it for you." She held her hand in front of the shaking girl asking for the bottle. Jessica saw Yuri took a deep breath and purse her lips.


"I still love you..Yuri.." that's all Jessica can say. Because truthfully, that's all she can do. Tell Yuri what she has been keeping for so long.


"Sooyeon... Don't ... Just don't... " Yuri's eyes were still close. Afraid that if she opens it, she'll break down and look stupid in front of Jessica.


"Yul... No one will separate us now. Dad isn't here, we're finally in Korea. There's nothing to be afraid of anymore.." she tried to reach the tan girl but she backed off a step again.


"Sooyeon... Please.. "


"Look at me.."


"No.."


"Look at me God damn it!" Yuri opened her eyes and saw the angry Jessica expression that she miss. She blinked a few times looking at her still trembling.


She still can command me.. .


"I'm not ready to see you today Sooyeon. It was supposed to be tomorrow at the welcome party..but you came to the airport and all my practice for the past week all burned to ashes." When Yuri realized what she just said, she felt embarassment creep in her veins.


"W-why were you practicing? And how did you know about the welcome party? Are you part of the team?!"


Yuri took a deep breath and walked to the bench under the Oak tree still clutching the wine in her chest. Jessica followed her and both of them sat there at opposite sides giving some space in the middle. The sweet smell of flowers hang around them reminding them of the days they were still together.


"I don't want you to see me like this. This..this anxiety of mine is acting up again. I wanted to fix this before work starts, I don't want you to be weirded out if you see this things... my shakings, my fidgeting, my stuttering. I asked Coach Mike not to let you know that I'm in because I know your Father will surely go berserk if he founds out I'm near you again. I can't handle another restraining order and I love my work now. This is my bread and butter, I don't want to lose contracts."


Jessica was just silent, her hands clutching on her seat itching to wrap it on Yuri's neck and just kiss the girl while watching the flowers in the garden sway with the breeze. On her mind are just a few things: Yuri and her will be working together. They will see each other everyday at work, and most importantly - her younger sister and Yuri's cousin is playing sweet music together.


She can handle the new couple, who was caught playing tonsil hockey by a nosy paparazzi 24 hours ago. She and her sister will talk about it later. What's important right now is how she will convince Yuri that it's okay. It's okay to be together again.

 


She faced Yuri and did what she wanted to do since they saw each other at the airport.

 

 

 

--------------

 


"What took the two of you so long a while ago unnie? Dani and Tia almost ate all the food, Amber only managed to set aside a few slices for you and Yuri." Her younger sister now sits on the bed drying her hair still damp from the showers.


Jessica was lying beside her looking up at the ceiling, smiling. She just borrowed a shirt from Soojung and pajamas from her luggage much to the younger girl's protest since she doesn't have anything to wear.


The younger Jung stomped (with her crutches) to her girlfriend's closet and stole the Llama's Tshirt and basketball shorts. It seems she can't get enough of her Amber's scent that she wants it close to her. Especially that they won't be sleeping together tonight.


Jessica was still being quiet, weirdly smiling. She's creepy, Soojung thought. Her unnie is being creepy since she and Yuri went back to Amber's house with the bottle of wine being held by her sister. Yuri was still leading the way but the shaking and fidgeting is not visible anymore.


There was a faint blush on Yuri's cheeks when she entered the house. Dani elbowed her with a look that says something. Although her sister is still a few feet away from the tan girl, Jess was obviously happy. Gone were the sad expression they have a while ago when they are looking at each other.


"Unnie.... Helloooo... Jessica Jung.. fine." Her sister was still daydreaming, Soojung thought. She thought of something to sister.


"By the way..... Since you're out of your normal self tonight, I want you to know that I'm pregnant.." there was still no reaction from her sister "Amber is the father..." Soojung bit her bottom lips waiting for a violent reaction from her sister but she failed "I grew a beard?" Still no reaction "Amber said Yuri has a boyfriend..?" with that, her sister suddenly turned to her with a very cold glare coming from Greenland.


"What did you say?!"


"Finally! You're back unnie! I thought you're playing stare-all-you-can with the ceiling. I was asking you if why the two of you took so long?"


The older Jung sat up in the bed and took the towel from her younger sister and started to dry it's hair. "We had a talk, that's all."


The sister's closeness is something that other people admire about them. Jessica's protectiveness to her sister rose up to the next level the moment their mother passed away due to cancer. She fought with her Father regarding Soojung's welfare especially after her injury. There's no way that their Father will go out of his way to help her sister recover because for him, an injury for an athlete means the end of her career. That's why he dropped her sister from his training pool just like that in an instant and went to the other camp.


Soojung is the only treasure that her mother left Sooyeon. She only wants what's the best for her, her happiness at the top of it. When she saw how happy Soojung is with Yuri's cousin, the way her sister's eyes lights up when she and Amber look at each other. It's a much improved Soojung who came back from Jeju, the old sulking Soojung is gone.


"What did you talked about?"


A sigh escaped Jessica's lips and responded "Lots of things from the past. Not all of it, but she promised me that we'll talk about it one step at a time."


"So you two.... Yuri was the hockey player from UCB."


"Yep, the one and only."


"She's your 'TheOneWhoGotAway' .... right?" She pulled her sister's hair making Soojung yelp in annoyance. "Ouch! Unnie! Amber is much more careful in hair drying than you are...." the younger Jung regretted what she said but it's too late. She just bit her lips praying that her sister will not interrogate her about it.


"She hasn't got away because it isn't over til I say it's over.. especially now that Dad is not here." She gave the towel to her sister and took the comb on the bedside table and started to comb the younger girl's long hair. "She wanted us to become friends...just friends. But I'm Jessica Jung, no one can stop me from achieving what I want."


"Okay.... Amber said Yuri's going to be an assistant coach too in the hockey team, same as you. That's why Amber moved here in Seoul because Yuri asked her to be a consultant for the team."


"Yeah, she told me about it. She said she didn't expect to see me in the airport. She was preparing for tomorrow, the day of the welcome party. Soojung.... what if unnie gets back with Yuri? Is it okay with you?"


"You're that positive huh? Ouch! Unnie! My hair!"


"I'm serious!"


"I'm serious too! You're making me bald! I'm gonna slap this leg to you unnie if you pull my hair again. Ouch!" Jessica smirked at her sister and kissed it's cheek.


"Mianhe...~ So, about that kid Dani. She's the one you told me in the text, am I right Soojung?" The younger girl faced her sister and nodded. "Unnie, I have a very big feeling that she's somewhat related to us."


"She look so much like you, back when you were 18. She also has a mole on the right side of her face, just below her eyebags. While yours are near your mouth and nose. But I don't know Soojung... What if she's not?"


"So? It doesn't change a bit of my affection on her. I don't know unnie, but when I met her back in Amber's house in Jeju I felt a connection with Dani. Like a connection I have with you. I had a sense of protectiveness over her.."


"Like how I am protective of you?" She teased the younger girl earning a chuckle from Soojung.


"Yeah, like how you are with me. But less deadly. What were you thinking when you punched Amber!? You almost broke my girlfriend's nose! Gaaaah!" She rolled her eyes on her sister who's taking off her knee brace and laid on her back on the bed.


"I just wanted to... I've always wanted to do it, I told myself that if ever you get a boyfriend I'm going to punch him as a welcome from me."


"She's a girl!"


"So? She's your person, even if she's not a boy, but still your person. And she looks like a boy. She still falls in the category of persons who luckily get Jessica Jung's form of welcome." The younger girl slapped her sister's arm earning a pillow smack on her face. "And I heard what you said earlier, Pabo! Pregnant?! Amber the father?! Dream on! That's a miracle if that happens! Here I am hoping to make my prepared speech once you get a boyfriend. Tsss."


"Oh, no you don't. I don't wanna hear your speech! No birds and the bees talk Jess!" Soojung tried to cover her ears but the older Jung is just too damn good in teasing her sister.


"Soojung, I know you're 22 and you can take care of yourself damn too well. But please, don't over exert yourselves and don't do it in the dining table. Believe me, done that, Mom scolded me."


"You're gross!"


"Don't do it in public please, like what you did on the beach....turn off the shower when you do it at the bathroom to save water, conserve water remember that. And if you don't want to do it, just say no. She has to respect that."


"Unnie we haven't done it! We just got together yesterday! For Pete's sake!" Soojung, truly embarassed from her sister's talk tried to stand up and leave her rambling sister alone but she was held back by her psychotic unnie and gave one final reminder.


"Last but not the least, use protection." Jessica smartly ended her speech with a very shock Soojung looking at her like she just grew 2 heads. The younger girl blinked her eyes, trying to reclaim her sanity.


Her jaw that dropped almost to the floor moved trying to utter a word but she failed. I wanna die, really. I wanna die, Soojung thought to herself and shook her head.


"You're crazy Jess, super crazy."


"Sorry, I just wanted to say that for a long time, the 'use protection' part." Her older sister grinned at Soojung mischievously that's why she took a pillow and just smash it to her older sister. She really thought that Jessica was serious about the 'use protection' part. It made her blush like a madman. Her sister was dodging it and still continued on harrassing her on her 'non-existent' life with Amber. "But since it's not a problem and you won't get pregnant if ever you decide to get busy with Amber, just keep it low. And do it without the kids in the house Soojung."


The handicapped girl stood up from the bed with the help of her crutches and started to walk out of the room. Her sister laughing uncontrollably in the bed because of the younger Jung's annoyed face and pouting.


"Just where the hell are you going Soojung? Come back here! We're still talking! I haven't taught you about the best positions!"


"What the!? You're crazy Jess! Leave me alone!"


"Come back here you ! Where the hell are you going?!"


"To my girlfriend's room away from your craziness! Amberrrr!!!!!!!!" Soojung called her girlfriend so loud like a wailing kid stomping her good feet on the floor.

 

 


Jessica - 1 point; Krystal - 0