Lutz - 20

Edges and Toe Picks

A/N: Hey chingus! Early update for all of you. Now that you have met Mr. Jung, why don't we sit down and meet Coach Mike and hear his story. 

Thank you to all our subscribers and readers! Please do leave a comment or a holler at the rectangle box below ⬇. I love reading your comments it keeps me motivated in writing. 

Subscribe, comment, holler! 

Peace yow! ✌

-----------

 

 

fotolia_3296345_XS.jpg


Krystal's POV


Seeing Dad again is like dabbing lemon and sprinkling salt in an open wound. It's not that I don't love Dad, he's still my father. But what he did to our family is something unforgivable, especially to Mom.


Seeing him all pale and dodging the question I asked only solidify the questions in my mind. Amber and I had talked about Dani's real father. Actually, she opened it one night when we are preparing to sleep. She said it's bothering her, our similarities and all.


That's when I told her about mine too, how I felt when I saw Dani for the first time. My hunch that maybe she's someone related to me and Jessi. I told her the story of Mom finding a letter on Dad's dresser. It was a letter from a certain woman asking Dad to take responsibility for the baby in her belly. She was pleading, saying how much she love Dad and she's not asking him to leave our family. She just want the baby inside her to be recognize by Dad.


The letter was dated when I was 3 years old, Mom found the letter after 15 years when I was 18, we were at Canada their marriage falling down because his wrong doings were exposed. Uncle Mike flew to Canada from California because Mom called him crying, I was with her in the room consoling her.


The letter, it was signed with just a letter 'A'. Amber told me that Grandma asked for her help before to find Dani's real father. The efforts were fruitless because all she has are letters but no photos. She said Dani's mother is named Ailee Kim. It's one step to solve the mystery and we came to a decision to investigate further.


I told Jessi about it and she gave me a go signal. Uncle Mike gave introduced us to a private investigator that he personally knows to dig Ailee's past. He said that's the only thing he can offer as help because Mom didn't tell him who the girl is before.


I've always treated Uncle Mike as family, an uncle. He was Mom's best friend and Jessi's mentor. I see their deep bond and never have I doubted that they have feelings way beyond friendship.


And now, standing in front of Mom's tomb I saw how Uncle Mike's eyes smile while looking at Mom's name. It was nearing sunset, we bought some flowers on the way and he placed it beside Mom's photo.


"Did you know what's your mom's favorite flower is?" He asked while kneeling on the grass.


"Carnations...white Carnations.." I heard unnie muttered while brushing dirt on the tombstone. I joined her and we sat beside Uncle Mike. Amber and Dani sat at my back while Yuri remained standing.


"Cecilia, it's been a week since I came here. Now I have your daughters with me, look at them I bet you're happy to see them." He smiled but it was laced with sadness, I can feel how sad he is with the way his blue eyes look down.


"Hi mom, I miss you so much..." i squeak the last words..I can't help myself but break down, tears started to roll down on my cheeks because I really miss mom so damn much. I still can't forget the day she left us and the day I disappointed her.


I felt an arm hug me from the sides and it was unnie crying too. I remember her last hours, I beg Dad to let me be with her side and skip the final practice. My mother is more important than a damn practice, if every spin that I make will make Mom's life longer I will stay. But I need to face the reality, it will never happen.


She was already bed ridden with Jessi taking care of her. We already did everything, radiation treatments, chemotherapy, Uncle Mike even suggested Stem Cell treatment. But it was no use, the cancer cells has spread on her other organs.


It was hard to see her suffering and all I did was cry beside her. Jess was there to console me being the tough one between the two of us. Dad was there watching his once beautiful and charismatic wife slowly succumb to the disease. Uncle Mike came straight from the airport panting, running to his best friends' side holding a bouquet of White Carnations. I saw how Dad's face darkened and left us all.


I told her to be strong and fight for it, I told her she still needs to watch me the following day on the qualifiers. She didn't answer me but her eyes were still open. I held her hands and she squeezed it indicating that she heard me. She is breathing through her oxygen mask fighting for her life, me and Jessi holding her hands while we pray. Uncle Mike was at her feet praying with us hoping that the heavens will hear our intentions and will grant our request for another day. Another day to be with her and to see her smile.


At exactly 10:45 pm, Cecilia Jung drew her last breath surrounded by people who loves her the most. No more pain, no more sickness. Her face was serene, like she was just sleeping. I remembered hugging her lifeless body crying myself with unnie at my back telling me that mom went away peacefully. I know unnie is trying to be strong for me as what older sisters do but her eyes show grief and sadness, tears springing in but she's just holding it.


Uncle Mike was at kneeling at mom's feet, his shoulders trembling as he hold it. I thought to myself, I wished Mom just married him after she and Dad separated. But they're better off as friends. Their friendship as I see it that day, was really special that can't be compared.


"Mom.." unnie said with a trembling voice. "Soojung is already well, her knees are healed and she'll be back again in competing in a few months. I'm making up to my promise, I'm taking care of her." Tears ran down on her cheeks while saying it. I can never be thankful enough to have a sister like Jessi. She always put my welfare at the top before her own.


"Your Sooyeon is a great unnie, she takes care of her dongsaeng well. She's also a good assistant coach, she learned the trick and trades that fast. I know you're proud of Sooyeon like how I am proud of your two princesses."


I saw him caress Mom's photo, and suddenly tears fell down on his cheeks. Amber wiped the tears on my face with her handkerchief and hugged me from the back. Dani went to unnie and hugged her sides consoling her. Yuri went to Uncle Mike's side and patted his back.


His face shows grief, loneliness, longing; regret. He smiled sadly with tears on his eyes and wipe it with the sleeve of his shirt.

"Mom, I want you to meet my girlfriend Amber... She's kind and she takes care of me don't worry." Amber went in front of Mom's tomb and bowed 90 degrees. 

"It's a privilege and an honour to finally meet you Mrs. Jung. Don't worry about your daughter Soojung I'm here to take care of her even if she always scolds me. I love your daughter very much so please give us your blessings. I'm going to marry her...someday." she smiled at me teasingly making me blush. 

"Yah! Just come back here beside me you're talking non-sense again." A cold wind blew making us shiver. I know it's Mom blessing me and Amber. She came back to me pouting mumbling "But I was saying the truth, not now but someday Babe. Your Mom already gave us blessings.." I stole a kiss from her and it made her smile. 

 


"Your Mom and I.." he took a deep breath and started his story. The story we didn't know. "We are the best of friends til she left us forever. But behind that friendship is a sad story that we buried deep in our hearts. You guys know that I'm a former figure skater before but what you didn't know is that Cecilia and I were once partners in Pair Skating. We fell inlove and played sweet music together and wowing the crowds with our chemistry. She was beautiful, charismatic, kind, funny, sometimes cold. One day we had a fight, turns out she heard some gossip that I was seeing other girls. She confronted me and I told her it's not true, it was a big fight and she left me in a fit of rage. Long story short, morning came and I looked for her trying to say I'm sorry and convince her it's not true. I found out from one of our friends that she was drunk the night before and she was seen going to her hotel room. I went in without knocking because I have a copy of her key. I saw her sleeping on the bed with a guy beside him ." He shook his head remembering it.


"It was Dad, isn't it. The guy beside her..." I said to him and he nodded sadly.


"I broke up with her and left, went on vacation. She was trying to reach me sending letters and all explaining what happened. I realized that whatever she did wrong, I still love her and one mistake is not a reason to forget all our happy times together. When I went back looking for her, she was already pregnant with you Sooyeon and she was already arranged by her parents to marry your father. I begged her to call off the engagement and marry me instead, that l will take care of her and the baby inside her. She said she wants to elope with me but she can't because her parents already decided and what can I do? I'm a foreigner and there are customs and traditions that needs to be followed."


"I let her go... We decided it's for the better and be just good friends. Atleast in that way I can still care for her even from a distance, even if it breaks my heart to see her marry someone else. The painful thing is she married my worst enemy, your father. I stayed by her side even just a friend and helped her achieve her dreams in skating. She decided to do solo and your father served as her trainer. I went on to be a trainer and consultants to schools and universities strengthening their figure skating and hockey teams in the US. You were 3 years old Soojung when I went back to Korea to visit your Mom. She called me sounding strange, she and your Dad had a fight then and he didn't came home for a month."


"I remember that time... I was wondering why Dad wasn't home..." unnie said looking at me. I don't know about it I was just 3. "Mom said he's on a business trip that's why I didn't mind."


"Soojung was so cute and chubby back then..." I blushed at what Uncle Mike said earning a pinch on my cheeks from my girlfriend.


"My chubby Soojung eh? Why don't we bring it back?!" I slapped her arms blushing on embarassment. She tighten her hug on me laughing softly.


"Shut up Amber!" I hissed at her and she zipped .


Uncle smiled at me and Amber's scene and continued "I always put you here in my neck then we'll go flying like an airplane. Sooyeon here was already 7 and I taught you how to skate." He smiled at unnie and she nodded with a smile too.


"I started training for skating at 10, much more later than Soojung. But it was Uncle Mike who taught me how because he will bring me and Soojung to the ice rink where Mom practices. After Mom's practice he will teach me and play with me on ice. Soojung at 3 is being held by Mom with her little blades."


"Jeongmal... I don't recall any of it.." it made me pout. I was 3, what can I do?!


"Then we'll go eat ice cream on your unnie's favorite ice cream parlor. A lot of people said we look like a happy family and all I did is to tell them that I'm not your father but your uncle but they brush it off. Your Mom was always laughing when I explain it to people we don't know and she told me I shouldn't explain it everytime someone compliments us. She said that I should be proud to be called your father once in a while because her daughters are beautiful and smart. Your Dad eventually came back and apologized to your Mom asking to take him again. The truth is, your Mom is hellbent on not forgiving your Dad but I advised her to give him a second chance to make your family whole again. Again, I turned away and let her go. I could have been selfish and take her for myself and you guys, show your Dad that me and your Mom are still okay and the chemistry is still there. But I turned away because I know your family has to be complete for the two of you to grow up and be a normal family."


"But you love Mom..."


"I do, I do love her so much to the extent that I can let her go and be happy. Your Father promised her that he will never leave again. With that I went home to the US again and spent writing letters with your Mom asking for news about you and Soojung. How happy she is when Sooyeon started training then when she won the Junior Worlds. When you Soojung won your first tournaments and she said how lucky she is to have daughters like you."


I remember how happy Mom is whenever she will receive letters from Uncle Mike. Even when we grew up and E-mail is widely use, they still get in touch through letters. Dad was a little jealous about it and scolds me as much as possible on trainings just to have someone to vent his jealousy. Earning money in figure skating is never easy and you have to atleast place in competitions just to earn a prize money. I was invited to events and even to qualifiers placing 1st place always. Dad managed my winnings and I thought it's secured since, he's my father. While Mom managed Jessi's while unnie is studying in UCB under Uncle Mike's supervision.


After I won the Worlds and the 4 Continents endorsements started pouring in. I earned money and continued skating even won Korean Skating Championships. Dad said we should move to Canada for me to have a better training and he got some sponsors to finance it. The goal was to further enhance my training because he said Yuna Kim also trained in Canada before with the best coaches and choreographers.


"When your family moved to Canada, that's when the problem started to begin. Turns out your Dad was addicted to gambling and do some trips in Vegas to spend Soojung's earnings with the mindset that he can make it double or triple. Your Mom called me one day, telling that they had another fight and it's over. When your Mom went to Jessi's graduation in UCB that's when she told us what happened. That your Dad was slowly draining your bank account and even managed to pay girls in Vegas, even having a habit of visiting strip clubs in Toronto. She wants to bring you along but your father didn't permit you leaving training. Your father and I had a few run ins in California because of Yuri and Jessi.." he looked at the two and smiled.


"He was afraid that if he allows you to come with your Mom, you'll never comeback. He knew your Mom won't forgive him and he was afraid that you, Jessi, and your Mom will live with me and be happy. I advised your Mom to go back in Canada with Jessi and protect you from your Dad. I promised her that I'll go running once she gave me a call. It's just 4 hours away I can manage, just to help my best friend."


I looked at my hands and traced the lines on it. I remembered the day Dad left the house, he and Mom had a huge fight because of the letter. Jessi was out that day and I was just there in the kitchen listening to them. Dad has been doing his activities even when we were in Korea and has been cheating on Mom ever since. Before leaving, he made me choose between him and Mom. Of course I chose Mom! I hate him so much for doing it to our family. Jessi came in and he made her choose to, without batting an eyelash she chose Mom and told Dad to just leave. I didn't know her animosity to Dad back then was because of what happened to her and Yuri.


"So you know what happened.." he clasped his hands and turned his head upward looking at the orange sky. "They left you, your Mom called, I came flying from L.A. then I helped your Mom fix everything. That accountant Key was hired and he was able to get the total amount your Dad swindled. Your Mom forced your Dad to give the rights to handle your earnings and he oblige because he's guilty. Your money was saved Soojung but there was no forgiveness. Your Mom didn't file for divorce because your Grandparents won't allow it, it will tarnish the name of the family. They settled for a separation and understanding that he will still train you but your Mom will handle all the details. It was all good, Sooyeon is also training and joining competitions under the Korean flag and made endorsements too. I went back to L.A. and we still communicate exchanging letters."


He took a deep breath and took a flower petal playing on it with his fingers. I can feel how much he cherish Mom, the care and love he has that no one can compete. "Then your Mom was diagnosed with Cancer last year, it was fast she deteriorated. Even if we did everything nothing can stop the disease. She called me to prepare her will and put everything in order including the money she will leave to you Soojung and Sooyeon. She made me promise to take care of the two of you when she's gone because she knows your father won't be trusted to do it. Of course, she doesn't have to make me promise. I've been doing it forever. You two are precious to me... like my own that's why I'll do my best to help and bring that dream of your Mom to reality."


"Did you regret anything that happened from the start?" I asked him while looking at unnie. Uncle Mike smiled wistfully and stared at Mom's photo smiling sweetly.


"When I thought about what happened from the start, I regret not running after her that night and fixing our relationship. She wouldn't get drunk and fall in your Dad's arms. Her life will be different and the two of you will not be here in front of me looking pretty as ever." I smiled at him and tighten my hold on Amber's arms around me. "But it was what life is in stored for us. We were never meant to be together. We are soulmates and maybe in our afterlife we will meet again and finally, we can continue what we started.

 

 


"What I regret most... Is never having to say that I love her everyday.." a cold wind blew making us shiver. Uncle Mike was chuckling looking at Mom's photo. "Me too Cecilia, me too."