Toe Loop - 11

Edges and Toe Picks

 

 


Dani's POV

 

Today tops the most memorable days of my life. I never thought I'll meet my idol in flesh! In person, sitting in a table with her, did her nail polish and even joked with her. She even defended me to Amber unnie.


The best of all, she told me to call her UNNIE.


Like, it's the ultimate fangirl's dream!


I had no intention of disturbing what they are doing or anything (if I just knew she was inside Amber unnie's room!) earlier. I was going to do my laundry when I saw the clothes in there, obviously the singlet was Amber unnie's but the black dress and that nice set of Calvin Klein undies gave it away.


Amber unnie have a rule. Her One Night Stands are not allowed on our house. She doesn't take home the girls she met on Friday nights because for her it means trouble. And she also respect Grandma and the privacy of our house.


I came to accept Amber unnie's uality with open arms. It doesn't matter if she likes the same kind because like what Grandma said, it doesn't matter as long as the person has a good heart. She became an older sister to me that I was wishing to have.


Well more of a brother and sister combined. She can be a nagger and worry wart like a sister, protective and caring like a brother. It's a 2in1 deal and I'm lucky to have her in our life.


She came to me and Grandma's life when we needed help the most. Amber unnie helped Grandma with the house because our old house is no joke. It's already falling apart. Grandma treated her like her own and unnie too treated Grandma like a family member. She helped me with my studies, tutoring me on subjects I can't pass.


Because of the kindness that Grandma gave her, she surprised us one day saying that she bought the lot next to us and our house will be renovated. A modern but classic Hanok will be made and she gave the papers to Grandma. She named the lot to Grandma saying that she owe her a lot.


That why I researched about her because who the hell will just buy a lot and construct a house all of a sudden like they have a lot of money in the bank. Turns out she really has a lot of money in the bank and investments too. She was a half Taiwanese half Korean retired sports superstar in US and went back to Korea to live away from the famous life she used to have.


She told us about her injury and how it almost wreck her life. Thanks to her sister and cousin, she survived the injury and had a chance to play one last time before retiring.


One look and you wouldn't believe she's the Amber J. Liu the media was talking about before. Probably because she doesn't like to be photographed and she changed her style when she came to Jeju. She wears hoodies and tshirts, basketball shorts and skinny jeans. From what I saw from the internet she was always wearing a suit or her uniform. And her hair was long and tied in a bun, she actually look beautiful and handsome with long hair but when we cut it short she became handsome! Handsdown!


So yeah, my curiosity strucked me on who owns the dress and undies. Definitely not Amber unnie, so it only means one thing. She took home a girl last night. This is actually monumental because it only means one thing: she already met that one person she's willing to introduce to Grandma.


Tia was in my room just beside Amber unnies. She came in early because she gave me the photo of Krystal Jung she took and with an autograph just for me. I envy her yesterday when she did the tour. She called me informing me that my idol came to the island with a friend and was staying at the hotel where she part time as a tour guide.


I prayed silently that I get to see her on the streets or on the shopping district so I can have a photo with her. I really like Krystal Jung she's my idol. She's beautiful, smart, kind, and even though she have an injury her camp said that she will bounce back and compete again. I heard in the news about her Mom dying the night before her competition, it broke my heart especially when I saw her crying. She was not crying because of her fall, she was crying because she felt she disappointed her mother.


I feel for her, she lost her mother. Atleast they spent time together while she's growing up. Me? I never saw my mom, just in photos. She died after giving birth to me, Grandma said. I don't know who my father is and I'm not interested to know. I lived without him, I don't need him. I have Grandma and Amber unnie, what more can I ask for?


Thinking about pranking her, I barged into her room like I always do knowing that she doesn't lock her room ever. Holding the garments, I came in to surprise her but I was the one who were surprised.


What surprised me was 1) They were in a very intimate position and seems in the process of starting something and 2) The girl on her lap is someone I didn't expect to see in our house.


It was Krystal freaking Jung on her lap! Thank goodness they are not . Then Tia came too because she heard me and the 2 of us was just standing there looking at the two embarassed persons.


Amber unnie threw her pillows at us shouting we shouldn't just barge in like that and from the looks of Soojung unnie's red face and pained expression that looks like a hangover, Amber unnie's tantrums, it seems nothing happened last night. They look like who just woke up from a good sleep.


When we were eating breakfast they can't take their eyes off each other. Wow.. Amber unnie acting like a lovestruck teenager is new to me. The way she steal a glance at Soojung unnie then smiling like an idiot is priceless.


And Soojung unnie... She was blushing the whole time we were eating. I didn't know she swing the other way, although on second thought, there's not a single news about her dating. Just her trainings and stuff, hasn't seen with any guys on dates. It's always her sister that's on her side. Her older sister Jessica is also pretty and fashionable and a great skater too. I hope I can meet her too.


The way she looks at Amber unnie is goals. It's like she's looking at the most precious thing then having a small smile escaping on the corners of her lips. Then when their eyes will meet, they are like sending hearts to each other.


Tsk tsk tsk... These two are so obvious. They got it bad, really bad.


But Amber unnie said before that she won't fall in love ever and she will never get in a relationship.


Does meeting Soojung unnie last night changed her perspective? Is she willing to take a risk now?


Hmmmm.... Maybe I'll know it after a few days. It's just the first day, and Soojung unnie will be going back to Seoul in Monday. We are also flying to Seoul in Monday so maybe, just maybe, they will continue this thing they have once we arrive there.


There's something in Soojung unnie that makes me comfortable around her in an instant. Like we have this invisible connection and having her in our house today made me happy.


"It's really unusual Dani... Although there are some people around the world who are not related but they look similar. I watched it on Discovery Channel and the similarities are daebak. But when they did a DNA test it was negative." Tia told me while we are resting in the couch after eating lunch. Amber unnie and Soojung unnie went to the room to take a 'nap' as they say.


"I know but it's impossible that we're related. Maybe we're part of that percentage that looks similar but not related."


"But what if you're her long lost baby sister?! You were kidnapped when you were still a baby or you got lost in the airport or something?! You know girl... Possibilities?"


"Pabo... I was born here in the island. Grandma knows who my mother is and the whole community knew about the pregnant girl Grandnana Kim took care. I grew up in this community so there's no way what you're saying is possible."


"But admit it, there's this hope inside you Dani.." my best friend patted my back.


"Who wouldn't be happy if you find out that you're one of the Jungsis? But I'm contented just by calling her unnie... I hope Amber unnie gets serious with her. What if it's just another One Night Stand for her?"


Tia rolled her eyes at me and flicked my forehead "Ouch! That hurts!" I gave her my cold glare making her chuckle.


"Danielle Kim we've been best friends since we were 9. Your cold glare doesn't work on me anymore. And it's not a One Night Stand because obviously, nothing happened. Number two, it's already day time and they are still stuck together like the Astro Twins. This is the first time I saw Amber unnie like that."


"What if 'What happens in Jeju, Stays in Jeju' got into them?" She shook her head at me and smiled looking at the ceiling.


"Dani, I think the better term is 'What Started in Jeju, Continues in Seoul'. Remember, Soojung unnie is going home in Monday. We are also going to Seoul to study with Amber unnie as our guardian. No one gets left behind, only Joey haha. I bet, our flight details on Monday is also similar with Soojung unnie and Sulli unnies flight."


"That will be a coincidence if it happens."


"We'll see... Let's just take a nap.. I'm so full I can't move.." Tia closed her eyes and rested her head on the armrest of our couch. I copied her and fell asleep instantly.

 

I woke up from my nap when someone tapped my forehead. I opened my blurry eyes trying to see who it was, my vision cleared and I saw Joey standing over me with a tall, beautiful girl beside him.


"Dani-ah... Why are you and Tia sleeping here? Look at Tia she's drooling on the couch." I turned to my best friend and yeah, she was drooling. Eeew.


I smell something delicious coming from the kitchen. Grandma's cooking dinner now I suppose, I looked outside from the sliding door and saw the sun has set. Seems like we slept all through out the afternoon.


Joey flicked his cousin's forehead startling Tia to wake up. Oh God this is embarrassing... She still has drool on the side of . O_o


"Yah! What the!? Oppa! That hurts!"


"Fix yourself Tia! You still have drool on the side of your mouth! Your embarassing me to my guest..." I snickered at what Joey Oppa said and bowed to the girl beside him.


"Annyeong, I'm Dani.." she was studying my face then smiled at me bowing to. "Annyeong Dani! I'm Sulli.. just call me Sulli unnie."


"Sulli unnie, why are you with this barber?" Tia asked covering . Joey push her to the door of the bathroom and closed the door.


"I'm sorry about Tia, she's really like that. Crazy." Oowww... Joey is being shy on the girl. This is going to be an epic night.


"Oh, we knew each other yesterday! She toured me and Soojung in the island. She's really good I like her.. Tia was the one who told us what bar to go to last night." Sulli unnie said. Joey led her to the couch and made her sit.


"It means you are Soojung unnie's best friend, right?"


"Yep, the one and only!" She smiled at me and looked around the place "I was told that my best friend spent her night here.. tell me.. did something.." she wriggled her eyebrows at me indicating something and I understood it.


I shook my head at her and we laughed. "They said they just literally slept the whole night because Soojung unnie was too drunk. I think she also threw up on herself and Amber unnie because I saw her clothes on the dryer this morning."


"And here I am thinking that they did something. Based on Joey's story, I thought it was going to be a memorable night for Soojung."


"Oh... Believe me I thought so too when I saw them this morning. I'm just thankful they are fully clothed this morning or else I'll be watching Sesame Street just to cleanse my mind."


Grandma came from the kitchen and saw Joey Oppa and Sulli unnie. Oppa introduced Sulli unnie to Grandma as his 'friend'. They are going to eat dinner with us that's why Grandma was cooking a lot of food for tonight.


"Dani-ah, why don't you call your Amber unnie and Soojung now. We'll be having dinner in a few minutes.."


"Ne, Grandma.." I stood up and went upstairs to wake the two lovebirds.


Here we go again... Okay Dani.. Knock three times before barging in. You don't want to repeat what happened this morning. For sure Amber unnie is killing me in her mind all day.


Knock knock knock


"Amber unnie...Soojung unnie... Dinner is ready.."


Silence.


Should I knock again? Or should I open the door?


Knock knock knock


"Amber unnie... I'm going in. I don't care if the two of you are err... Aiiisssh! Whatever!"


I placed my right ear on the door trying to check for sounds or voices but there was none. The room was silent and no one was moving. Are they inside? Or at the bathroom again?!


Turning the knob of the door carefully, I pushed the door slowly then took a peek inside. The roman shades had been pulled down that's why the room was slightly dark and only the humming of the A/C is heard and light snores.


What I saw in the bed made me smile.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


The two of them are sleeping peacefully in the bed...Soojung unnie backhugging Amber unnie with her right arm wrapped in the latter's waist and her face buried on the back of its neck. Her right leg with the knee brace is being held by Amber unnie with her right arm and is on top of the latter's own leg.

 

They look soooo close... and cute. I think a new ship has sailed.


I tiptoed out of the room and closed the door not making any noise. Going down to the living area, my smile is still plastered on my face creeping Joey Oppa when she saw me.


"So, are they coming down?"


I shook my head and smiled at Grandma "I think we should eat first Grandma. Having Soojung unnie here made Amber unnie sleepy. She found her cure on her insomnia."

 

-------------

 

 

Krystal's POV

 

"Soojung... Soojung... Wake up.." I roused from my sleep and saw Amber sitting beside me. The lights had been dimmed and the place is silent.


"We skipped dinner... It's already 11:00 pm, we should eat. I'm starving!" She whispered at me while rubbing her belly. Amber's hair sticking out everywhere.


She pulled me to sit on the bed while I recover from my sleepiness. My stomach grumbled indicating that I am indeed hungry too. Then I remembered Jinri.


"Oh my God! Amber! Jinri must be waiting for me tonight in the hotel. I need to go back to the hotel!" I said panicking while searching for my phone checking for messages. Amber stood up from the bed to pick up something. When she came back, she has a piece of paper in her hand giving it to me.


"I saw this on top of that luggage near the door." She pointed at the corner but I can't see it. She clapped her hands twice and the room brighten a little.


"Wow.. light switch?!"


"It's sound sensitive.." Amber said grinning at me. I took the piece of folded paper with my name scribbled on top of it. Definitely Jinri's handwriting. I opened it and we read the contents.

 


Soojung-ah,


I'm kicking you out of our hotel room. I think you're enjoying your stay here with Amber and don't worry about me because Joey kept me entertained yesterday after the conference session. I know I told you this trip will be our bonding session but I don't want you to miss this opportunity when someone knocks on your door offering you once in a lifetime happiness. Sounds cheesy but hey, it's something like that. I'll see you tomorrow for dinner because I'll be eating dinner here again and I hope, I just hope, you are awake by then. Not like tonight. My God Soojung-ah! Dani and I had been poking you and Amber but you're like stone statues.


See yah!


Your beautiful friend,
Choi Jinri

 

P.S.
I sent a message on your phone. Check it. Ha ha ha.

 

 

"She's crazy...." I covered my face in embarassment. My friend kicked me out of her suite! She even brought my luggage here tonight in Amber's place. "This is embarrassing.."


"You're best friends, best friends are meant to be like that. Crazy. Hahaha..." She laughed softly at me patting my head.


"Is it okay if I stay here until tomorrow? I mean, I can pay." I said, biting my lip in embarassment.


"Of course it's okay!" I remembered what she said last night when I'm on the verge of sleepiness.


'Stay by my side..'


"But I don't accept cash payments or credit cards." My brows furrowed on what she said.


"Then what?!"


"I'll think about it... For now let's eat Soojung! I'm just really hungry!"


We went down to the kitchen and saw a note from Grandma on the dining table. She covered the food on the table for us, some pork ribs, kimchi, chapchae. I ate just a little since it's already nearing midnight and i don't want to be bloated. She served green tea again after eating and some cookies. Dani went down to the kitchen all sleepy and scratching her head. She saw us and went to the fridge to get some water then sat down beside me on the table.


"Did you just eat? I thought the two of you are never going to wake up."


Amber scratched her neck smiling at me "I got hungry and she's hungry so we went down."


We chatted for a few minutes then decided to go up and sleep. Once we entered the room I pulled my luggage and opened it to get my hygiene kit, pulling out my toothbrush and other essentials. I went inside the bathroom to freshen up then when I got out, I saw Amber waiting on the bed playing with her phone.


Hmmmm.... She did the bed and even added a few pillows. Why don't I tease this cute thing? I started to walk with my crutches to the door and she suddenly sat on her bed wondering why I'm headed to the door.


"Where are you going?"


"To sleep, duh." I rolled my eyes at her.


"Well duh, the bed is here not there." She said copying my eye roll. I continued on heading to the door making her stand up and follow me.


"Wait Soojung, where are you going? Seriously? The bed is here and you can sleep here."


"I'm going to Dani's room and I'm going to sleep there."


"And why are you going to sleep there?! We have a bed here! It's big and wide, you can roll however you want. If you want I'll sleep on the other side while you sleep at the opposite side." Amber said ruffling her hair in frustration. I want to laugh out loud but I controlled it and continued on going out the door. I reached Dani's door and knocked.


"I really can't understand why you choose to sleep here."


"The moment you said that you don't accept cash or credit card made me decide to sleep here."


"It was a joke! Come on, let's just go back and sleep on my bed. And Dani snores in her sleep so loud you won't be able to get some sleep."


The door suddenly opened with a wide eyed Dani clenching her teeth.


"Yah! I don't snore!"


"Soojung--"


"What if you ask for my body as payment for my stay here!? I can't protest or anything if we're in the same bed. Atleast I'm beside Dani, you can't do anything." I sassily remarked at her smirking. I turned to Dani and smiled "Can I sleep here Dani?"


"Sure! Be my guest Soojung unnie. I don't ask for payments so feel free to sleep here." She led me to her bed with a sulking Amber ruffling her hair like crazy. She look so funny right now and I'm so bad for making her like that.


I tucked myself in the bed and Dani placed a pillow at the back of my knee. I patted her head like a kid thanking her and she grinned at me. Amber was just standing there beside the bed looking dejected.


"How about me? Can I just sleep beside the 2 of you?"


"Uh uh... No way. You can't sleep here in my bed Amber unnie. Just go back to you room!" Dani said to her making me giggle.


"But... But.. Soojung!"


"You got a big and wide bed, right? Just roll there however you want." I winked at her and covered myself with the blanket giggling with Dani.


We heard footsteps going out the door and Amber muttering 'Lord! Please kill me now!' then the door closed. We burst out laughing at Amber's childishness. Dani is already tearing up because of so much laughing. We stopped when we can't laugh anymore.


"Oh my God! This is the first time I saw her like this. She look so funny and dejected. I never knew she's so clingy!"


"I was just teasing her, I didn't know she easily gets teased. Now she looks like a kid sulking, she's probably rolling in her big bed right now."


"I think you cured her insomnia. Sometimes she only sleeps for an hour or two. Sometimes not at all, and tonight was the longest sleep she had when the two of you took a nap this afternoon. That's why she's so clingy to you tonight maybe she doesn't want to break the chain."


Come to think of it, the dark eyebags on her last night disappeared today. She actually really look sleepy when we took a nap this afternoon like she's been knock out to sleep.


Well she can sleep alone tonight, she's already sleepy like she told me earlier. "Let's sleep it's already late and kids like you shouldn't stay up late."

I making her pout.


"Unnie! I'm already 18! I'm not a kid anymore!"


"Arasso~ Good night Dani-ah.."


"Good night unnie~.." she cooed at me and closed her eyes.


I don't know why I feel so comfortable with this kid. Like we have this connection that I can't explain. Is it possible that she's....


No.. it can't be.


But what if?


Maybe I'll have to talk to Jess about it when I get home. She's the only one who can answer me.


Sleep came over me and only light snores can be heard inside the room. Unbeknownst to us, a lone figure quietly tiptoed inside the room and placed an air mattress beside the bed. Since Dani's bed is just a feet taller from the floor, the mattress had almost the same height as the bed.


That person laid down beside me and reached for my right hand tucking it at her face. I really have a problem with sleeping because it didn't even make me startled or wake me up. I sleep like a log, unnie said.


I found out when I woke up in the morning that Amber is beside me sleeping on her air mattress cradling my hand on her face. Sleeping peacefully without worry.


I chuckled amusely at her and brush aside her bangs covering her face. She mumbled 'Soojung' then pursed her lips.


"So clingy..."