Toe Loop - 4

Edges and Toe Picks

Second update! Enjoy!

--------

 

 

pyeongdae-panorama-z-lab-residential-seaside-architecture-jeju-korea-kim-jae-kyeong_dezeen_1568_30.jpg


"Amber unnie!" I saw Dani approaching me from the courtyard while I park my bicycle. Dani's 18 years old and will be entering the University next month.


She's like the younger sister I didn't have and Tia too, her best friend. Both of them got in at Korea University. I already talked to her and Grandma about her school bill, I'll be the one paying for it until she graduates. I owe everything to them so it's the best I can do for Grandma.


"Dani... I bought some bread here for you and some of Grandma's favorite Tangerine." I gave her the bag and turned my cap around so she can see my face.


"Unnie! I was calling your phone but you're not answering. Someone's looking for you and Grandma already entertained her for about 2 hours now." We walked together while crossing the courtyard. Hmmmm.... I'm not expecting anyone right now....


"Bread!!!" This kid is really into bread. She breathe it, live it, even sleep with it. Grandma always scolds her for those crumbles of bread that occupies her bed because it attracts ants. And now she's happily munching the pretty long French bread I bought for her.


"Yah! Don't eat all of it Dani! Dinner's going to be serve soon kiddo." I ruffled her head and she looks like a cute puppy with those eyes of hers.


"By the way unnie, Grandma didn't cook dinner.. because we're going out to eat at my favorite BBQ place."


I stopped on my tracks and looked at her wondering. Is Grandma sick?! That's why she didn't cook dinner?


"Why? Is Grandma okay? Is she sick or something? We should take her to the hospital-- Aww! That hurts!" I said while rubbing my arm that she slapped. Really?! Who's the old one here!? "No one's sick unnie, Grandma just want to eat special today." She rolled her eyes at me and continued on walking while biting in her bread.


"Hey bread monster! Save some for me come on!" We race like kids to the main door with the long haired kid slamming the door on my face. Argggghhhh!!!


I heard Grandma's voice inside scolding her making me smirk. Haha! That's what you get for slamming the door in your unnie's face. Upon entering the door I saw a familiar person I've never seen for 3 years.


The same old girl I know with a beautiful smile on her face. She's still dark like Jackie but it suits her, her body has improved now because of her training.

 

 


"Hey buddy.. miss me?" She smirked at me making me chuckle.

 


Dani went to my side and whispered audibly "She looks like a model unnie... She's pretty and y.. is she your ex-girlfriend?" We laugh at Dani's visibly loud whisper and I scratch my head. I smiled at my guest and ran to her wrapping my arms on her which she reciprocated.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


"Yuri Kwon, you of a cousin."

 

 

 

 

 


She sniggered at my greeting and smack my head "Same to you Amber Liu!" We jumped around while hugging each other happy that we saw each other again.


We recovered from our happiness and we shared a look. I know you Yuri.. I know you well. We'll talk later..


"Dani-ah, this is Yuri Kwon my cousin from my mom's side. Don't you recognize her?" Who wouldn't recognize one of the most bankable commercial model in Korea?


Dani stared at her and I nudged Yuri to untie her hair. Once her hair dropped on her shoulders and she brushed it back, that's when Dani's jaw dropped. Shock is an understatement.


"Yuri, you met Grandma already. She's the one who took care of me this past 3 years. Grandma, this is Yuri my cousin." Grandma patted Yuri's hand and smiled "She introduced herself to me earlier when she knocked on our gate. Very nice kid and pretty too. I'll leave you all here and be in my room. Let's leave after an hour for our dinner. Yuri, make yourself at home."


"Ne, Grandma!" She bowed at Grandma and the elder left us. Dani was frozen on her spot still staring at Yuri. Bwahahahaha!!! I poked her forehead making her break from her trance.


"YAH! Unnie!" Oooohh she's blushing...


"Close your mouth or much better stuff some bread in there. Don't stare at this person, it's a sin."


Yuri slapped my arms playfully and shook her head. She reached for Dani and pulled her to the couch. "Dani! Have a seat here don't just stand there."


"Kwon, she's a minor."


"Shut up! I'm not doing anything you ! Dani, don't listen to her."


We had a playful slapping of hands battle like kids while Dani watches us, amused at 2 adults playing like stupid dorks.


"Are you really cousins? Like relatives in blood and DNA stuff you know.." she suddenly asked us making me stop and look at Dani.


"Yup! This doofus here is my cousin. She's a model now, but do you know that she's the one who taught me how to skate and play hockey?" Yuri continued her attack on me slapping my bad arm. I feigned hurt making her worry at me.


"Amber! Your arm!" I flicked her head and meronged at her. Gotcha .


"Why did you ask Dani? Don't we look alike?"


Dani furrowed her brows and stared at me and Yuri back and forth. She held a thinking pose and she looks serious scrutinizing me and the dark Korean beside me. It actually suits Yuri, her color. Not much models or Koreans look good in dark skin. Add to it that she also surf and hike like Jackie.


Yuri smiled sweetly at Dani and flipped her hair at me intentionally hitting my face. .


"She's so pretty and girly, but her skin.." Yuri's face fell down making me laugh out loud "her skin isn't like yours but it suits her. Yuri unnie you're so pretty! Do you work out?" Confidence level back to level 10 for Yuri Kwon. "Ne, I work out to maintain my shape Dani. Then I also skate regularly but I didn't play in the professional league, just in the collegiate league."


"You should have seen Yuri play Dani, she was a great player! She brought the university woman's hockey team to their 4-peat Championship the whole 4 years she was there. She's the best!"


Yuri was shy and humble as always "Don't listen to her Dani, it was team effort."


"Wow.. I didn't know that.. But why didn't you entered the pro league unnie? What did you do after you graduate?"


She smiled softly remembering something then sighed "Personal reasons Dani and I'm not that good like Amber here to enter the pro league and besides, Amber needs a Manager that's why I became one. I managed Amber's career when she was still playing making sure her contracts are equal and right. I choose the endorsements and magazines who wants to feature her."


"When we came home here in Korea after I retired, Yuri started to get some offers to be a commercial and print ad model. I don't know what they saw in her...."


"Admit it Liu, I'm hotter than you." She smirked at me and I saw her wink at Dani. The younger girl blush profusely. What the hell Yuri!!!


"YAH! KWON!!! SHE'S A MINOR FOR GOD'S SAKE!! DON'T MAKE HER CONFUSE! DANI-AH, DON'T LOOK AT HER OR YOU'LL BE DOOMED TO ETERNITY!--"


Oh good. A pillow welcomed my face thrown by Dani at me. The two of them were laughing their off at my reaction.


"Told yah Yuri unnie, she's going to break down if you do that to me. She's like a mom and she always say that she won't allow me to have a boyfriend til I'm 30!."


"Pffft! She got her first boyfriend when she was 14 Dani. Don't listen to her, she's a player herself. Her ex-girlfriend was that gold digging ex-Victoria's Secret model. I bet she's still a player, right?" Yuri looked at me smugly verifying her statement.


"Yes. Every Friday night Yuri unnie. Never fails." The two of them made a high-five in front of me like they knew each other for so long.


"Dani!!!"


"Ooops! Gotta go Yuri unnie! I'll be at my room Amber unnie, see you later girls!" She made a dash to her room covering her head when I threw the pillow at her. Yuri was just laughing her heart out at us.


I turned to Yuri who is still laughing and threw a pillow at her direction too. She dodged it with her arms swinging it back to me like she's swinging a stick. Nice.


"Let's talk outside Kwon.. you have a lot of explaining to do." Before walking out of the door, I grabbed some chips on the top of the fridge and 2 cans of beer inside it. She followed me outside and we sat in the swing set overlooking the view of the city.


Fresh air is the best. This is what the city doesn't have, if only I can put this in a bottle I'll do. She fixed her hair again into a ponytail then I gave her the beer and dropped the chips on the grass. We simultaneously opened the tab and made a toast chuckling to each other. Old habits die hard.


We stared at the sun going down on the horizon. Sunsets are beautiful, like how Sunrise is. Sunset is the indication of ending a fruitful day while Sunrise is the start of another crazy day. I love both of them, makes me appreciate life more.


I took a sip on my beer and turned to her "How's my beautiful cousin doing? Still plastering your face in billboards?"


"It's weird seeing your face that huge in a billboard. Like when I was driving in Seoul then I saw this billboard of mine showing my pearly white teeth. It's just so weird..." She shook her head and sipped her beer.


I laughed softly at her and draped my arms on her shoulders. Her eyes said it all.. she has a problem.


"Spill it Yuri... I'm listening."


She took a deep breath and sighed. Yuri has been one of the few people I look up to besides my sister. I love her dearly and I promise myself I will do everything for her.


There was a time when she had a bout with depression. It was when she and her college girlfriend broke up because of some reasons I don't want to bring up anymore. She took it hard even though outside it's like nothing on her.


She will call me every night and just cry and talk, I let her spill it then after that she'll be better. It happened every night until one day it stopped. She didn't call for a week and I became worried. I gave a visit on her dorm and I found her unconscious but breathing and a bottle of sleeping pills with spilt contents beside her. I called her coach and we drove her to the hospital discreetly not wanting attention.


Yuri looked so broken and vulnerable, so helpless. Her coach and I made a pact to help Yuri be herself again and finish the remaining months of school and graduate. Good thing the hockey season in their school ended 2 months ago before Yuri had her problems. They even won the championship because of her.


Coach told me that Yuri's ex was looking for her the other day in training but he just said my cousin is on a 1 week needed vacation. I never knew her personally or seen her pictures, but Yuri said she's a nice girl and she loves her so much. It's just that the odds are really not in favor for them.


Yuri got better and she went to school again to finish her thesis. After passing it and making sure all her projects and grades are good and that she's going to graduate, she made a request to the University board to not attend the classes anymore. They gave her the approval and said goodbye to her coach promising that they will keep in touch. She went back with me to L.A. and the rest is history.


She never saw the girl again, I think. But there was a time when I took a peek inside her room and saw her watching a figure skating event in YouTube where a Korean was doing her piece. I heard some sniffles from her that's why I closed her door. Jackie told me that Yuri and her girl broke up because of the girls' father. He asked the court to issue a restraining order against Yuri to stay away within 5 feet to her daughter or else the court will have to deport her back to Korea.


Sad, but true.


Yuri may look like happy and smiling at times, but inside her, she's broken.


I know she still loves the girl but I don't know how to help her. Jackie called me before when she and Yuri went on a vacation in Hawaii. She said Yuri became pale when they were in the beach because apparently a look alike of Yuri's ex-girlfriend walk up to her and tried to flirt with Yuri. Then she had an anxiety attack and ran to the ocean and dived. So it means if she will see her former flame again, she'll definitely have an anxiety attack again and do something stupid.


Love.


It will make you or break you.


"Amber... She called me a week ago.."


"Who called you? Son Ye Jin?" I took a long drink of my beer. Yeah, the actress got a crush on her.


"Her... My ex called me last week."


I choked and spilt the beer on my mouth. She patted my back giggling at me. Oh my God! "Easy there Amber.."


"What the hell Kwon!? All these years and she called you just now??"


"I know... It was weird actually. The number was international and I was on a break from my CF shoot. I answered it not knowing who is on the other line, then I heard someone from the background took a deep breath. There on that moment, I knew who it was. But I didn't made the first move, I waited for her to talk so I can hear her voice again." She finished her beer and I handled her my can of half full beer which she accepted and took a sip again. I texted Dani to get 2 cans more of beer and to bring it outside. Seconds later she's running with a whole 6 pack of it and placed it beside me. Dani went to Yuri and gave her a quick hug and a fighting sign then merong at me. She ran back to the house to hibernate in her room.


Yuri chuckled amusely with Dani's antics and shook her head. "She's really cute, Dani. Like a dongsaeng type of cute you know, you were the only dongsaeng I know and lived with. You were not that cute when you were young."


"I am cute, just not girly cute and all."


"Dani reminds me of her.. they have similarities but not really the same. Her younger sister though, she and Dani is like an apple from the same tree. Where are her parents by the way?"


"Grandma said that Dani's mom was a tourist here that stayed with her. She found out the girl was pregnant so she took care of the pregnant lady like her own daughter since she's alone in her life. The lady gave birth to Dani and died. She never knew the father because no one visited. Grandma raised Dani alone and treated her as her own Granddaughter. Grandma is already old and she has been having a hard time supporting Dani when I first came here. I promised myself to help her and take care of Dani because she has shown me kindness by letting me stay here with them and treating me like her own."


"She's a great kid.."


"And smart too. She got accepted in KU this coming school year! By the way, let's get back to your situation! Why did she called you?"


She finished the can I gave her and crushed it on the ground by stomping her feet on the empty can. "She was asking if I know a good therapist that I can recommend. Her sister had a terrible accident in ice months ago and tore her ACL." 

 

I cringed on the thought. Ouch. ACL injury.. tsk tsk....


"So I told her I knew one who can help her sister. I recommended Luna because she's the best remember. I told her Luna helped you years ago to overcome your shoulder injury and won your last championship. It made her hopes up when I told her your success story because she said her sister really needs it."


I opened another can and passed it on to her then I reached for a bag of Hot Cheetos and opened it taking a dig on the yummy cheesy treat, stuffing it on my mouth.


"Then..?"


"She was talking on the phone and my hands and knees were trembling. Every words and lines I say, I say it after calming my nerves. All these years, she still got me bad."


"I thought you're over her, remember? You said it a lot of times. Then just one phonecall and she still owns your heart." I scoffed at her jokingly flicking her forehead.


"I am over her."


"Yeah sure... 'You got it, You got it bad/When you're on the phone/Hang up and you call right back...' " I sang to her like Usher earning a smack from her. Her face in crimson red remembering what happened before.


"... You should have dropped the call! ert."


It was the time when she and the girl were still together. I was calling her to ask something about hockey when the call suddenly connected and I heard Usher Raymond singing in the background. I was going to say Hello when all of a sudden I heard a loud moan and grunting and panting. I almost dropped my phone right then and there, panicking, I shouted on the phone calling her name because maybe she's in trouble. Stupid me. I turned off my cell for a whole day and listened to my iPod to erase the sounds I heard. I am a player and I know that sounds because I hear it too on my flings but hearing it from your cousin's phone is scary.


"I recorded it, wanna hear?" I jokingly earning a kick from her.


" you Amber!" She hissed at me kicking from the swing. I laughed at her and started throwing some Cheetos on her.


We stopped what we are doing and laughed at ourselves. I miss her company so much and talking to her like this.


"Amber, I need you in Seoul. Please go back in Seoul because I need you." She looked at me seriously while rubbing her nose.


"Kwon, why? Are you in trouble?"


"No I'm not, silly. I need your help, I got a new job besides doing CFs. Remember Coach Mike Peterson?" My eyes lit up when I heard her former Coach's name. He helped Yuri before that's why I'm grateful at him.


"Yeah.. Coach Mike. What's up with him Yul? Is he here?"


"He's the new coach of Korea University's Hockey Team. He offered me a job as assistant coach and Manager of the team. I accepted it, that's why I need your help."


"Congratulations Kwon!" I stood up and gave her a warm hug. "About the help, how will I help you? I'm not good at helping."


"Duh!" She rolled her eyes at me jokingly "You're like, the amazing Amber Liu! 4-time Hockey Champion and MVP in the Pro League with her signature Magic Swing."


I reached for my right arm and smiled at her "It's not the same anymore Kwon. I already used all the magic left on that last championship. Now all I do in winter is teach kids here in Jeju how to skate. The Lotte Mall sets up an outdoor skating rink at their mall every winter. I teach there for free."


She held my shoulders facing me with determination blazing in her eyes. Aiish! Kwon!


"Amber, please help me. I need your expertise there. And I need you close because I'll break down if no one will be there for me."


I furrowed my brows with what she said. What does it mean? Breakdown again?


"W-what do you m-mean breakdown Kwon?"


She puffed some air and exhaled loudly.

 

 


"She's going to join the coaching staff Amber. My ex is joining the coaching staff."

 


"WHAT!!!??? SERIOUSLY?!"

 


Of all people in the world?! In all places?! So ed up Kwon Yuri.


"Yes. Coach Mike didn't tell her I'm also joining the team. She's here in Korea now as we speak. Oh !" She said like remembering something important.


"She might have saw that billboard of mine in the airport endorsing that Soju brand."


"YURI!!"


"Fine! That's why I need you Amber. You're the only one who can help me with my work and the only one who can make me not do stupid things. So please Amber!"


I thought about it and sigh. It's not that easy to suddenly leave everything here in Jeju. I looked at her pleading eyes and smiled softly. "Give me a week Kwon then I'll fly to Seoul. Prepare my house, I'm bringing Grandma and Dani with me."


"Thank you! Kamsahamnida! Yes!" She hugged me tightly and jumped to her feet raising her fist in the air like she's the guy on the ending of that movie she love, 'The Breakfast Club'. Dorky Kwon strikes again.


"Let's make a bet Kwon, if you sneeze in front of her while having your first introduction to the team, I will play that song in the university ice rink."


"And if I don't?"


"You choose the penalty. Deal?"


"Fine, . Deal!"


"Very good biatch!" I flipping my imaginary long hair and made a toast with our beer.
I saw her look in the beautiful rays of orange hues in front of us and sigh. She muttered the word with so much longing in her voice and eyes.

 

 

212_294_185.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Sooyeon"