Chapter 4

On the Brink of Insanity
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“And you said that you found him in the park convulsing?” The doctor asked, writing something down on the clipboard that he was holding.

“Yes, he passed out and just completely lost it,” The stranger said, glancing over at the sleeping boy in the bed with an IV taped to his arm.

“Well it seems that his system is full of prescription drugs, which I don’t believe were meant for him, alcohol, and his blood shows that he’s been smoking . This all adds up to an overdose. We’re going to have to call the police,” The doctor said in a grave voice.

Kibum heard this conversation going on around him, little bits going in and out of his half-conscious mind. He wanted to open his eyes, because something just didn’t feel right. There was a strange beeping noise coming from somewhere, something was covering his mouth and his nose, and his body felt complete numb; he couldn’t move. He vaguely heard a noise of a door opening and  then clicking closed, then movement as a presence neared him. He tiredly opened his eyes and squinted as a bright light hit him, causing his head to ache.

“I see you’re awake. Kid, you’re about to be in a lot of trouble when the doctor comes back here. So you’re going to tell me right now what you’re name is and I’ll get you out of this,” The stranger said, standing next to Kibum and staring down at him with a grave expression on his feminine looking face.

Kibum looked up at this guy and stared at him blankly. What was the point of saying anything? He didn’t care anymore; there was no fire in his eyes, no urge to live anymore. He was done; he didn’t want to do it anymore.

“W-Why…why am I…still here?” He mumbled through the mask.

The man, tall and slender, beautiful and breath taking, so serene looking but completely fierce, looked down at him with sympathetic eyes. So that’s it? He wants to die? He heard movement on the other side of the door; the doctor was back.

“Play along, or don’t say anything at all,” He said as the door opened. The doctor walked back in the room with a nurse, who went straight over to Kibum and began checking his vitals and blood pressure.

“Ah, you’re awake, son. Would you care to tell me why I found so many drugs in your body?” The doctor said in a false cheery voice.

“My brother was at a party, peer pressure, etc. You know how it is,” The stranger said suddenly. The doctor looked over at him with a bemused expression.

“He’s your brother? That’s not what you said before,” He said, trying to detect a lie.

“I thought it was obvious, don’t you see the resemblance? I’m his guardian, our parents are dead. I presume that he snuck out of the house because he’s grounded and went to a party. I went out looking for him and found him in the park. He just told me that some guys from school forced him to do it. This was by no means his fault,” The stranger said defensively. He held gaze with the doctor for a long minute before the older man nodded, apparently buying the story.

"Since this is only the first offense, I'll let it slide. But I'm going to need his name just for the records," The doctor replied.

“Go on, tell him," The stranger replied, turning to face Kibum. The younger boy stared up at the two adults with empty eyes before sighing in defeat.

“It’s Kibum,” He whispered.

“Then I’ll need to talk to you, sir, out in the hallway,” The doctor finally said after a few seconds of silence. The stranger nodded and followed him out of the room and the door was closed behind him.

Kibum stared after them for a few minutes, but the nurse did something with the IV bag and he suddenly felt very tired and was unable to keep his eyes open anymore.

Kibum sat on the floor, leaning against the crib as he watched his mother rock back and forth with baby Dayeun in her arms, feeding her a bottle of milk before it was naptime.

“Kibum, do you want to feed her?” His mother asked. Kibum's face lit up with and he nodded excitedly as he held out his arms for her. His mother stood up and let him sit down in the rocking chair, taking her place, and gently placed Dayeun in his arms. She whined in frustration, wanting her bottle back.

“It’s okay, Dayeun, oppa has your bottle right here,” Kibum said softly, bringing it to . She began the contently and a little milk dribbled down her chin, which he wiped off with her bib

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter