Chapter 5

On the Brink of Insanity
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The park was empty and eerily silent with nothing but the sound of the swings creaking because of the breezy gusts of wind. The sun was setting and was very low in the sky, almost completely disappeared behind the horizon, casting a dark shadow everywhere. The cold breeze of autumn raked through the trees, knocking the dying leaves to the ground.

Kibum sat on the bench staring blankly at the abandoned park before him. He came here every so now and then to just sit and let the memories of the past conquest his mind. He used to come to the park all the time when he was younger with his family, back when people actually came to play there. He shivered slightly as the wind blew again, but he didn’t feel like leaving any time soon. It’s not like there was anyone at home waiting for him.

He sighed deeply and looked over at the creaking swings. She used to love the swings, especially when I pushed her. He didn’t bother trying to stop the memories tonight; he’d pretty much given up all hopes of them from going away. After the little expedition to the hospital he was trying to avoid using drugs again, even though his body completely rejected that idea. The memories won’t leave, the pain just get worse, and now I’m addicted to drugs. What a life. He closed his eyes and wrapped his shaking arms around his body.

He missed it.

He missed her.

He missed his parents.

He missed his old, once-happy life.

It wasn’t fair that it was all taken away from him in just a few months because of one stupid mistake. He wanted things to go back to being okay. He wished that when he woke up in the morning that he would be in his bedroom, the sun would be shining, he would hear his mother singing in the kitchen while making breakfast, his father shuffling the newspaper from the living room, and Dayeun poking her head through the door telling him it was time to get up. Happy times. But he knew that it wouldn't happen, no matter how much weed he smoked or alcohol he consumed. It was all just a dream now; a undying memory.

Kibum opened his eyes when he felt something wet drop onto his face. He looked up and saw dark clouds taking over the sky as a storm heading in; probably one of the last rain storms of the year before winter came. But he just sat on the bench and let himself get soaked to the bone, his body shivering slightly. Whether it was from being the cold rain or because his body wanted to get high, he didn’t know.

“Are you just going to sit there and get wet?”

Kibum snapped his head up and saw none of than Heechul walking towards him. He sighed and rolled his eyes and looked away again, hoping that Heechul would just walk by and leave him alone.

“What do you want?” He asked as Heechul stopped in front of him, holding an umbrella over his head so the rain didn't get his caramel colored hair wet.

“Nothing, I’m just curious to know why you’re content with sitting in the pouring rain when a thunderstorm is coming. You’ll catch your death out in this weather,” Heechul said.

“Awesome. You can go now and leave me here to catch my death then,” Kibum said, turning his body away from Heechul and crossing his arms once again. He glared straight ahead, hoping that Heechul would take a hint and leave.

“Why do you want to die?” Heechul asked him, switching the umbrella to his other hand.

“Why do you care?” Kibum shot back defensively.

“Well, shouldn’t it make you feel better about yourself that someone does  care?” Heechul asked lightly, staring at him strangely. Kibum just stared right back until the older man turned and walked away without another word.

Once he was out of sight, Kibum frowned and thought about what Heechul had said.

I should feel better about myself because someone cares.

Do I even hate myself?.

He huffed loudly and wiped away the raindrops that were dripping from his hair and into his eyes.

Why would he care anyways, he doesn’t even know me. He’s probably some creep who wants to kill me or something….but if that’s the case then maybe I should go follow him, then maybe he’ll torture me and kill me painfully. That’ll justify Dayeun’s death.

Okay, it’s settled then.

I’m officially crazy.

He stood up and quickly walked away from the park. He didn’t know where he was going, but anywhere was better than sitting out all night in the freezing rain alone. Part of him hoped that Heechul really was some sort of crazy murderer and was going to take him home and kill him. But a bigger part of him wanted Heechul to save him; to take him away from this lonely life.

He just didn’t want to be alone anymore.

Heechul sighed as he stepped through the front door of his apartment, closing the umbrella and shaking the rain off of it as he set it against the wall and closed the door behind him. All the lights were off and it was completely silent, it was

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter