Chapter 20

On the Brink of Insanity
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

When Sunday morning rolled around, the weather was still rainy and dreary and it seemed to fit the mood perfectly. It was finally time to go back home and as much as Kibum liked Leeteuk, Henry, and Eunhyuk, he just wanted to go home. Their bags were in the car and now everyone was saying goodbye. Kibum stood by the door and watched as everyone else hugged each other and whispered I love you’s. He liked them, yes, but he didn’t want them to hug him yet so he kept his distance a bit. Besides, it still sort of felt like he was butting in on a family where he didn’t belonged.

He leaned against the wall and watched as Mir and Henry hugged each other goodbye. After spending the last few days here, Kibum could tell that the two had a special relationship but he couldn’t see what. They were the best of friends, obviously, but they seemed a bit closer than that. Not like they were lovers or anything, but something else he just couldn’t think of. Still, he sort of envied how close they were with each other and wished that soon he too would be that close with them.

He moved his eyes over to Heechul and Leeteuk who were talking in hushed voices about something, sending glanced around to check on everyone. He had already said goodbye to Leeteuk and allowed only him a hug. It felt good too, like a mother’s hug. Still, the two adults seemed happy with each other but a little sad to be parting. They snuck in a peck on the lips here and there, but didn’t hide the fact that they loved each other. It felt sort of weird watching them so Kibum quickly averted his gaze over to the last two, Eunhyuk and Donghae.

Unlike the others, these two best friends were not smiling or happy in the least. In fact, they were both holding back tears that were threatening to release. Kibum felt bad when he saw how unhappy they both looked, remembering what Donghae had told him about his feelings for the older boy.

“Alright, come on you three, let’s go,” Heechul finally announced, pulling out of Leeteuk’s hold. When he said this, Donghae looked like he was seriously about to cry. Kibum watched as he hugged Eunhyuk tightly and they both whispered something in the other’s ear; he didn’t have to think hard about what.

They all said goodbye one final time and headed out the front door, quickly heading to the car to get out of the rain. Mir ran ahead of everyone to claim the front seat, so Kibum climbed in the back with Donghae. As Heechul started the car and pulled away from the house, he looked in the rear-view mirror and saw Donghae looking miserably out the window, desperately trying to hide the fact that he was crying. He hastily wiped away each tear that fell but it was futile because they were just replaced with more.

He bit his lip and closed his eyes, trying to keep himself from outright sobbing like a baby. He knew it was stupid to cry and be this upset, but he just really didn’t want to leave Eunhyuk. He was going to miss being held in Eunhyuk’s arms, going to be and then waking up next to him, the adorable gummy smile that he absolutely loved and…just being with him. He didn’t want to leave Eunhyuk, he wanted to stay with him forever even if that was completely ridiculous.

Kibum glanced over at Donghae sympathetically. He watched as the other repeatedly wiped away his tears. Poor Donghae…he loves Eunhyuk, I know it, and now he has to leave him. Although their situations were nothing alike, Kibum did understand that feeling of just needing to be with someone you loved. So in attempted to make Donghae feel better, Kibum leaned over and gave him a comforting hug. Donghae was a little surprised at first, but he pushed that aside and hugged Kibum back because that’s just what he needed right now, a good hug.

They stayed like that for awhile and soon enough Donghae stopped crying. When Heechul looked in the mirror again to check on them, he smiled softly when he saw them together. It made him really happy that Kibum was getting closer to Donghae and trusting him that much to be so close to him. Progress was being made little by little and that fact alone made Heechul’s heart soar to the skies. Now all he needed to work on was making Kibum physically feel better and work on his relationship with Mir. It was already rocky to begin with, seeing as Mir didn’t live with them and Kibum wasn’t around him as much as he was Donghae. But since the two were polar opposites, it was going to take a lot of work. He knew that his son only meant well and just wanted to be friends with Kibum, but Mir wasn’t a child he was a teenager and he knew when to back off. Although Heechul really hated punishing his son, Mir had gone too far this weekend in bugging Kibum.

It was a long drive home and it took longer than it usually did because of all the rain. When they finally got back home, they dragged their feet upstairs to the apartment with their bags and sighed in relief that they were finally home.

“Umma, I’m hungry,” Mir said as they dropped their bags on the floor inside the doors.

“I’ll make lunch soon, okay?” Heechul responded, and Mir nodded happily and took his umma’s phone so he could call his appa. In the mean time, Kibum and Donghae disappeared into the bedroom and shut the door behind them. Donghae wanted someone to talk to, just not Heechul. Of course he loved his brother, but when it came to Eunhyuk he just felt embarrassed; and Kibum was there and willing so why not?

“Did you tell him how you felt?” Kibum asked, crawling on top of his bed and settling down in the middle. Donghae nodded and crawled over next to him and leaned against the wall.

“Kind of, I didn’t exactly say anything. But I didn’t need to, he understood already and he felt the same way. Like, Hyukkie is my best friend but I feel something more for him then that. We both know we already like each other but…it just seems different now,” Donghae confessed, drawing his knees up to his chest and hugging them.

“You love him, that’s why,” Kibum responded, giving him a small smile. Donghae grinned shyly and shrugged his shoulders.

“I do…it just feels weird saying it, I’m embarrassed. I’ve never told anyone that besides Heechul and my parents,” Donghae told him. I didn’t even tell Mir I loved him when we were ‘dating’.

“Donghae? What happened to your parents?” Kibum asked, looking up at him. Donghae stared back for a minute with mixed emotions in his eyes.

“I’ll tell you, but you have to tell me what happened to yours,” He replied, not forgetting their rule about asking questions.

“Okay,” Kibum agreed, nodding his head.

“My parents died when I was fourteen. I didn’t have anyone to take me in and so I was sent here to live on my own. But then Heechul found me and took me in. Your turn,” Donghae said, giving him the short version. That’s really all he could say too, because Heechul had said Kibum was still out of the circle for their family secret. Kibum was silent for a few minutes, his eyes clouded ominously.

“My par- they left me,” He said with a frown. Donghae nodded and waited for more, but Kibum didn’t say anything else.

“That’s it? You’re leaving stuff out, but I won’t ask you about it because I know whatever happened i

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter