Chapter 25

On the Brink of Insanity
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The three of them sat around the living room, aimlessly watching some movie on the TV. It was getting late and the sun was long gone, casting dark shadows around the apartment from the moon light coming through the windows. The atmosphere was calm and serene, almost sleepy. They were all lounging on the couch together, leaning against each other comfortably. Kibum was half leaning against Heechul tiredly, as it was close to midnight and it’d been a long day.

Heechul glanced down at his sleepy children and smiled softly at how at ease they seemed with each other already. He was glad that Kibum was opening up with Donghae, it made him really happy. The two boys didn’t know it, but he listened to all their bedroom conversations (it was a small apartment). The fact that they each were able to trust each other with telling about their pasts was good; they both needed each other in that way.

When the big hand on the clock clicked to twelve, Heechul reached for the remote and flipped of the television.

“Come on, it’s late and you’re both exhausted. We need to get this done with so you can go to sleep,” He said as they all sat up and began to stretch tiredly.

“But hyung, I’m not t-tired,” Donghae said, stifling a yawn. He smiled sheepishly and Heechul gave him a look and nudged him towards the bedroom.

“Okay, Kibummie, let’s get started,” Heechul said, taking Kibum’s hand and leading him into his bedroom. He closed the door so Donghae wouldn’t see any of it, because it was kind of gross if you really thought about it. Kibum sat on the edge of the bed and folded his hands together.

“What are you going to do, hyung?” Kibum asked curiously as Heechul pulled out something from the top drawer of his dresser.

“Well, it’s just going to be like getting a shot, only with my blood. That’s what I was doing earlier, I was at my family doctor getting my blood drawn for this,” Heechul informed him, holding out a vial full of red liquid. In his other hand was a needle and just looking at it, Kibum immediately held his arms protectively.

“I don’t like needles,” He whispered softly, avoiding looking at the syringe. Heechul smiled softly and walked over to him, and Kibum instantly scooted away from him with wide eyes.

“It will only sting for a minute, I promise,” Heechul said, trying not to laugh at the cuteness.

“No, I don’t want to,” Kibum objected, shaking his head vigorously.

“What’s wrong with needles?” Heechul asked him, setting the stuff on the bed.

“When I was in the hospital there was a nurse who didn’t like me. She knew what happened to Dayeun and told me it was my fault she was dead,” Kibum told him quietly, looking at the floor sadly.

“Did she do something to you?” Heechul said softly, not liking where this as going. Kibum nodded and kept quiet for a minute before he held his arm out and pulled up his sleeve to show his scars from when he had slit his wrists earlier this year.

“I only cut myself twice on each wrist, but when she came to change the IV she used the needle to scratch me and said she caught me trying to hurt myself,” He said somberly.

The look in his eyes was just so depressing that Heechul felt his heartbreak hearing this. He felt so angry that people treated Kibum lower than dirt for something that he had no control over. What happened to his sister was an accident, and Heechul knew it was so wrong of people to start those horrible rumors about Kibum but never would he have thought that they would actually go out of their way to hurt him even more, especially when it was a nurse who was supposed to be helping him.

He wrapped his arms around Kibum and held onto him.

“I will never let anyone hurt you ever again,” He promised. Kibum nodded and pulled away from him, rolling up the sleeve to his shirt so they could get it over with.

“Okay,” He said, taking a deep breath. Heechul smiled and patted his head and then grabbed the needle and vial again, putting them together. Kibum closed his eyes and looked away as Heechul brought the needle over and injected it into his vein, causing him to whimper slightly at the feeling. Heechul emptied it all into his arm and then pulled away.

“There, that wasn’t do bad was it?” Heechul said with a small smile. Kibum looked down at his arm, seeing it was no different than three minutes ago, and shook his head no.

“That felt weird,” He said, bending his arm around to make sure he wasn’t crippled.

“I bet it did. Now, it’s late and I know you’re tired so go to bed,” Heechul told him. Kibum nodded and reached over to hug him goodnight before standing and walking across the hall to his bedroom. When he got inside he saw that Donghae was already sleeping so he was quiet as he got ready for bed.

After opening the door a crack he crawled into bed and under the blankets, closing his eyes. He lay there in silence for awhile, listening to Donghae’s soft breathing and wandering what he was dreaming about, to the vague sounds of movement from across the hall and Heechul’s voice from his nightly call to Leeteuk. He wandered if Heechul missed Leeteuk as much as Donghae missed Eunhyuk; it was real sweet how much they all loved each other.

He turned over and opened his eyes to stare at the purple painted walls. He wandered why Mir would want purple painted walls, probably to match his purple blanket. Kibum knew that Mir had an obsession with the color purple, it was kind of amusing. He was sort of excited to see Mir tomorrow, which seemed kind of weird because most the time he found Mir annoying. But still, he was looking forward to going out tomorrow and spending time with him and Donghae. Of course he was still apprehensive about being away from Heechul for too long, but it would be okay since Heechul would be at home waiting when they got back.

Kibum sighed and, rolling over once again, glanced around the room. For some reason all the sleepiness that he was feeling early was gone and he felt completely awake and restless now. He kicked his blankets to the foot of the bed and threw his legs over the side and stood up, immediately falling to the floor.

“Forget how to use your legs?” Donghae laughed from his bed. Kibum looked over at him and stuck out his tongue.

“I thought you were sleeping,” He said, standing up again.

“I was,” Donghae said with a yawn. “But I woke up just in time to see that.”

“Go back to sleep,” Kibum told him, walking out the door. He crossed the hall and pushed open the door to Heechul’s room and went over to the bed. Heechul glanced up at him and smiled softly, but continued his conversation with Leeteuk.

Kibum shuffled closer to him and cuddled up snug and closed his eyes. He listened to Heechul talk and the sound of his voice was soothing…but it didn’t help make him sleepier so he just ended up playing there playing with Heechul’s hand until he was off the phone.

“What are you still doing up? Gonna sleep in here tonight?” Heechul said, reaching over to turn off the lamp and slid down into the bed, throwing his arm over Kibum.

“I’m not tired, hyung. I was but then you did that and now I’m not,” Kibum informed him.

“Okay, then how do you feel?” Heechul asked him, wondering if the blood medicine was working ye

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter