Chapter 16

On the Brink of Insanity
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Kibum sighed contently to himself as he sat on the couch in the living room. The sun was shining brightly in the sky and was lighting up the room perfectly for him to read his book but at the same time watch out the window for his sister. Dayeun was in the backyard again playing in their mother’s flower garden just like always. It was April 8th, the day of their parent’s anniversary so they had gone out to enjoy themselves for the day and left Kibum in charge of his sister.

He didn’t mind at all watching Dayeun because he loved her so much he’d do anything for her. So they had spent the day playing in her room and having tea parties for his stuffed animals. But after awhile she was getting restless and wanted to play outside, so Kibum sent her out but stayed in the living room to watch her through the open window every now and then while he read his book, Jane Eyre, because he loved to read.

The sound of her soft, tinkling laughter caught his attention and he once again found himself distracted from his book and watching as she twirled around in the grass happy as could be.

“Oppa! I’m a princess! I’m a dancing princess!” She shrieked happily and collapsed to the ground in bouts of giggles. Kibum chuckled softly and closed his book.

“Dayeun, don’t dirty your dress sweetie,” He told her, since she had decided to wear one of her nice church dresses today. It was the white one their mother had made for her and only let her wear it on Sunday’s. But since their parents were gone for the day, Kibum didn’t see what it was hurting to let her wear it.

“Okay, oppa! I’m making you something, don’t look,” She instructed him. Kibum nodded and turned away from the window to finish reading the chapter that he was currently on, and had been on for the past hour.

“Kibum oppa! Look at this pretty flower! It’s beautiful, just like you,” Dayeun exclaimed, rushing towards the window. Kibum turned around and saw that she had made a crown of flowers with a white rose sticking in the middle of it. He smile and reached for the rose and stuck it in her hair.

“It looks prettier on you, because you’re the beautiful one,” He told her softly, causing her to smile real big.

“When are umma and appa going to be home? I miss them,” She said with a pout. Kibum looked over at the old grandfather clock on the wall. It was three-thirty and they had promised to be home by six.

“In a few hours, Dayeun. Do you want me to make you a snack?” He offered, knowing she must be hungry from playing for so long.

“Nope, close your eyes again,” Dayeun said with a playful grin.

“What are you doing this time?” He asked, closing his eyes. She giggled and he opened his eyes to see what she was doing.

“Oppa, keep your eyes closed! We’re going to play hide and seek,” She told him.

“Alright, but don’t leave the yard okay?” Kibum told her, not wanting her to get lost.

“Okay, count to one hundred and come find me!” She yelled running off to search for a good place to hide.

Kibum kept his eyes close as he counted to one hundred, then when he finished a few minutes later he blinked and stood up with a smile on his face. He walked out the back door and looked around the yard for any sign of his sister.

“Dayeun, I’m going to find you, you silly girl,” he said playfully as he began to walk around outside in search for her. When he couldn’t find her outback he walked around to the front yard thinking she might have gone there, but she wasn’t. Kibum frowned and decided she probably got hungry and went inside for a snack.

“Dayeun, the game’s over. Where are you?” He called out, but there was no response. His heart started racing and he quickly went from room to room to look for her, but she was nowhere to be found. He quickly went out the front door again and over to his neighbor’s house and knocked on the door eagerly.

“Oh, Kibum, what brings you-“ The lady began to say.

“Mrs. Lee, have you seen Dayeun? We were playing hide and seek and I can’t find her anywhere, outside or in,” Kibum said quickly.

“You let her out of your sight? Kibum, she’s six years old! No, I’m sorry but I haven’t seen her. If I do I’ll tell her you’re looking for her,” Mrs. Lee said, and closed the door.

Kibum felt his insides twist with worry and went back to his house to look around again, but after half an hour he gave up. He looked at the clock; his parents weren’t due home for another hour and a half. But this was an emergency so he took the phone and dialed his father’s cell phone number and told his parents what was going on. Needless to say they were not pleased and told him to keep looking for Dayeun while they drove home.

By time they got home, the sun

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter