033

Superbad

 

Byul looked at her bare toes, she was sitting on the floor, facing the flat screen TV. Pixar’s How To Train Your Dragon was playing on the screen, Byul felt Chanyeol plop down beside her.

“Are you sure your mom won’t mind us barging in her place?” She asked again.

“I called her, she said she’ll be home in an hour.” He said before leaning back, Byul inched closer to him not for warmth, but for the feeling of security he gave her.

Chanyeol smiled and just pulled her closer.

“I shouldn’t have come home when unnie asked me to.” She spoke.

“Ya, don’t say that.”

“I just kept on creating trouble…not just for my family, but you too.” She said.

“I made you give up the peace of living alone, brought a fur ball into your home and even messing up your work life. And I know you came from your lunch date with Songhee.”

“Don’t say that, Hwang Byul. This isn’t like you.” He said his tone a little edgy.

“It’s true, and now, I’m burdening you with my problems, my trauma and~”

“Stop.” He snapped, Byul closed .

“Have you ever thought that maybe I like having you around? Problems or none, I like having you live with me. So, don’t say that, it makes me angry. Besides, Shelby livens up the house.”

She quietly nodded.

“Try to sleep for a bit.” He said gruffly, Byul just leaned her head against his shoulder.

 

 

“If you aren’t going to put a ring on her, I’m going to disown you.”

Chanyeol jumped in surprise, his mother was watching Byul as she slept on the couch, Chanyeol was quietly checking his emails when his mother soundlessly came in.

“Eomma~”

“I heard about that blind date, are you stupid or just blind?”

“Eomma, I~”

“I’m going to make dinner, wake her up.” She warned before going to the kitchen, Chanyeol sighed and peeled his eyes away from the screen.

Just an hour ago, Saehee had called to tell him that even with their father’s intervention, the photos of Byul and Yongguk still managed to land on gossip articles. And now everyone knows of her relationship with him.

Chanyeol leaned over and studied her features.

“I wont let him get to you again.” He whispered before pulling the blanket closer to her.

“Even if I have to crush that person to stop him.” He said before stepping out of the house with his phone pressed against his ear.

 

 

“Thanks so much for having us, imo.” Byul smiled as Mrs. Park set the bowl of warm soup on the table. It was already nine in the morning, and they all decided to have breakfast late.

“It’s nothing, I like having you around.” She grinned as she sat across Byul, her eyes darted to Chanyeol who was on the phone outside at the veranda overlooking the beautiful Jeju beach.

“You know, looking at him, I feel like I am a bad mother.” She spoke up, Byul looked at her.

“Imo, don’t say that, Chanyeol grew up into a nice person, he’s successful too.”

“But I was too weak, I ran away as soon as problems started coming, and he lost his career too.”

“I don’t think you are, imo. You were hurt, you had every right to run away and hide.” Byul faced her with a smile.

“And, Chanyeol may have had to give up his dream job, but I don’t think he’d stay with Mondo if he hated it. I think he actually likes what he’s doing now.”

 

 

“The board is questioning Byul.” Saehee stated worriedly. Mark glanced at his wife while driving.

“Actually…earlier…” He said carefully, Saehee looked at him.

Mark exhaled and pulled over by the sidewalk. He unfastened his seatbelt and faced his wife.

“Promise me you wont get mad or do anything we’ll both regret.” He stated, Saehee just stared at him, confused.

“Is..this about Byul?”

Mark nodded, Saehee took a deep breath and nodded, she laced her fingers with his.

“Earlier, I received a call from the main office. Then a package came for me, it was Byul’s medical history and records from China.”

Saehee saw the glint of disappointment and anger pass in his eyes.

“Saehee…that time, Byul’s car accident, none of us were allowed to see her, right?”

“I spoke with Kris and her doctor on the phone. They said that Byul didn’t want anyone to come over.”

“I read her records, Saehee, Byul..was never in a car accident.”

“What?!” Saehee paused, Mark’s forehead creased.

“She was….”

Mark felt his wife grow still under his palm, Saehee’s jaw grew taut.

“Hee~”

“Tell me. Tell me everything.” She spoke, her voice had gone cold.

“It happened at some high rise condo complex at Shanghai, Byul was..badly beaten up, fractures and broken ribs. She had bruises, most of her wounds were taken care off and most of her scars erased. The report stated she had a visible scar on her back, but she refused to have it operated.”

Saehee nodded as he spoke, her brows still furrowed.

“And who owns the condo unit?” She asked.

“It was Bang Yongguk.”

 

 

Byul stared at the calm waves, the chilly breeze touched her cheeks as she walked along the shore.

“You..want to go back?”

I just realized that….I’m not well..yet.

What? You made big improvements, I don’t understand.

Her fingers curled around her briefly before speaking again.

That’s not enough, I want to be perfectly well, like the old me.” She said as she glanced back at the house, she watched as Chanyeol stepped out of the door and made his way to her.

Hanbyul,

I mean it, I need to get well. I want to get well.” She said as she returned Chanyeol’s smile with one of her own. Byul sniffed and kept her phone.

“Why did you disappear?” Chanyeol chided as he neared her.

“I wanted to give you and your mother some time to talk. And, unnie’s been trying to locate me.”

“I don’t think she knows we’re together.” Chanyeol grinned at her as they walked.

“Well, we never know, HwangSae does things differently.” She half mused and sighed. He chuckled and just wrapped one arm around her neck.

“Ya, how about we go out for dinner? With imo too.” She glanced up at him, before Chanyeol could reply to her, he started to wave someone over.

Byul followed his gaze.

Songhee had just gone down from her car and was smiling at them.

Well, there goes my dinner plans.

Byul bit on the inside of her cheek and slowly pulled away from Chanyeol, he glanced at her.

“Byul, I wanted you to meet~”

“I forgot that I needed to make some calls. I’ll be at the house.” She gave him a hasty smile before walking back to the house.

 

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++