Thirty

Bring It

You ignored his phone calls, ignored his texts, ignored when he would come and knock on your door, you pretended he didn’t exist. All the “I love you”s, the kisses, those nights you spent together were all wiped from your memory and replaced with the single image of him and Jieun. Yes, you could blame the it all on the alcohol but whatever had happened he had agreed to it, so it was his fault too. What you dreaded the most was seeing him on Monday, you planned to give him back the ring he gave you at the amusement park plus any his clothes you had borrowed for the last four months.

When you woke up for school you gasped at your reflection. You hadn’t stopped crying all weekend leaving your eyes red and puffy. After applying some quick make up you grabbed your backpack and his backpack that he had left here, filled with his stuff. He still called you, it had been nonstop all night.

“Maybe you should answer it.” Jay said as he drove you to school.
You didn’t say anything and continued to click ignore. As you walked into the courtyard immediately people stared at you, already knowing what had happened this past weekend since most of them saw Jay and Yongguk argue at the club. You held your head high as you spotted Yongguk with Himchan and Zelo. His head was hung low as he continually dialed your number.

Himchan saw you first and he patted his shoulder. His eyes looked tired but right away his face brightened up seeing you. As he hopped off the table Himchan led Zelo a few feet away. “_______.” he took a step towards you.
You swallowed, fearing that you would cry. Without a word you handed him the backpack. He opened it and then sadly looked at you, “________, please don’t-”
Again you didn’t say anything as you took off your ring and put it in his hand. You were already turned and ready to walk away when he stopped you
“_______.” he cringed, “Please, can we just talk?”
You wiped the few tears that came out, “There’s nothing to talk about.”, you finally spoke and walked away.

Everyone stared with wide eyes seeing the break up. Yongguk sadly watched you walk away, his hand tightening around the small silver band. Himchan walked up, carefully placing a hand on his back, “You okay hyung?”
“No.” he shook his head, “I’m not.” Zelo stayed silent, he didn’t like seeing Yongguk like this. They both thought that he had reached rock bottom years ago after what had happened with Jieun, but this was by far worse.
“I’m not giving up.” Yongguk was determined to fix things.

--

“Hey it’s the new kid.” Jia said.
Fei and Min followed her gaze, “Aw, he looks adorable!” Fei smiled.
“His name’s Cheolyong, but he goes by Mir.” Min said, “He just moved here from Jangseong, he‘s in Jay’s English class.”
You played with your food, not the least bit hungry.
The boy looked lost, wandering around trying to find a place to sit.
Jia frowned, “He looks like a lost puppy, call him over Min.”

“MIR!” she waved at him.
He shyly walked over in your direction. “Do you want to sit with us?” Jia asked.
“C-can I?” he gulped.
“Sure!” Min grabbed another chair and motioned for him to sit.
He smiled, “Thank you. I’m not used to being around a lot of people.” he admitted.
They giggled, “It’s fine. These are my friends, Fei unnie, Jia unnie, and the depressed girl is _______.” Min pointed at each of you.

You looked up, giving her an unamused expression.

“_______?” he furrowed his brows, “You wouldn’t happen to be Park _______, would you?”
“Yeah.” You looked at him, “Do I know you?”
He smiled, “No but you know my hyung. Seungho, Yang Seungho.”
You nodded, “Oh. Yeah I know him.”
“He talks about you a lot.” he mentioned.
“Oh really now~?” Fei raised her brow at you.
Jia snickered, while Min showed disapproval.
“He does.” he continued, “He’s a good guy you know.”
They all looked at you, the girls waiting for your reaction.
“I bet he is.” you continued to play with your food.

--

When you got home your parents had already arrived from the airport.
“Hi sweetheart!” your mom kissed your cheek.
“Hi mom.” you gave her a quick smile.
“What’s wrong?” she frowned.
You gave your dad a kiss on the cheek, “Nothing.” you sighed.
She placed the back of her hand on your forehead.
“No fever.” she mumbled, “Say ah.”
You rolled your eyes and opened your mouth.
“No sore throat.” she picked up your hand, trying to feel your pulse.

“Where’s your ring?” she lifted your hand up.
“Oh…uhm.” you blinked.
“________.” she looked at you.
“Yongguk and I kind of…broke up.”
“What?!” both of them exclaimed, “Why?”
You went wide eyed, “We just did?” you shrugged.

“But, you both were so cute together.” she pouted.
You yanked your hand away, “I’m sorry?” you said with a hint of rudeness.
“Stuff like this happens all the time okay? It’s not the end of the world.”
They sighed, “I’m going to my room.” you nearly ran upstairs.

The second that you closed your door your tears fell. You felt pathetic crying over a boy but it hurt so much that you didn’t care. The cries were muffled by your pillow, you didn’t want you parents hearing. As you continued to let it all out your phone vibrated. Without thinking you picked it up, not bothering to look at the caller I.D.
“H-hello?” you cleared your throat.
“_______.” You sat up, hearing his voice. “________, please baby, don’t hang up on me.”
You felt all warm hearing him say your name, but you couldn’t bear it at the same time. Immediately you hung up, and tossed your phone.

After a while you forced yourself to do your homework. It’s funny how you thought about it, but you figured that if this reflected in your grades then everyone would know how badly this was affecting you. He continued to call you, even calling you from Zelo and Himchan’s phones. As you finished your work your mom walked into your room.
“Sweetie?” she spoke softly.
“Yeah?” you scribbled the last answer and closed your book, turning to face her.
“Did you even notice your car in the drive way?” she chuckled.

“What?!” you hopped off your bed and looked into the drive way.
You must have been so out of it when Jay dropped you off you didn’t bother to notice your beloved black Altima in the driveway.
“I guess I didn’t.” you turned back to face her.
“Well, I just came to give you the keys.” she placed them on your nightstand.
“Thanks.” you twiddled your thumbs and quickly hugged her.
“I’m sorry about earlier, I didn’t mean to get all moody.”
She patted your back, “It’s okay, I understand. It’s a tough getting over the first one.”
“You have no idea.” you sighed.

--

“And therefore we can conclude that-what Miss Park?” your teacher called on you. She must’ve sensed that you hadn’t been paying attention.
“es be trippin’.” You muttered, continuing to write a few rhymes in your notebook. The few students that heard you laughed, approving of your humor.
“I’m sorry?” she raised her brow.
Before you could admit that you didn’t know the answer another student came through the door. She handed Ms. Lee a note and bowed before leaving. The middle aged woman gave an annoyed sigh, “The irony, Miss Park you’re wanted at the nurses office.”

You didn’t ask why, seeing that if you asked she’d probably ask you for the answer again. Instead you picked up your notebook and exited the room.

You took the long way to the nurses office, just to waste more time. A small rock kept your entertained as you kicked it hitting the metal doors of the lockers. You frowned seeing that it got stuck where two lockers met. Using your foot you tried to prying it out, letting a small sound of victory when you did. “______.”
You froze, you didn’t even blink. “______.” he repeated.
It took all the strength in the world for you to finally look at him.

It pained your heart seeing him like this, you could tell he hadn’t slept in days yet every time he saw you it his face would light up. After a few seconds of silence you made an excuse to leave, “I have to go to the nurses office.” you began walking away but he blocked your path.
“I’m the one who sent the note.” he confessed.
“Why?” you asked, as if you didn’t already know.

“Baby.” he stepped towards you, “I’m sorry.”
You blinked, “I should get back to class.”
“Damn it _______!” he slammed his hand into the locker next to you, making you flinch. “Why don’t you believe me?!” he grumbled, “I love you _______, I thought I made that clear.”
“I thought you did too.” you blinked, “But-”
“NO!” he lifted your chin up, “I didn’t lie to you, I would never and don’t you dare accuse me of it!”

You scoffed removing his hand, “Then why the was she in your bed? You can’t expect me to think nothing happened between you two. So what you just fell asleep next to each other ?”
“I don’t…I don’t know!” he clenched his jaw, “I don’t know.”
“And I know less than you do.” you straightened up, “Please, Yongguk just leave me alone.” you pushed past him, only to be yanked back colliding with the wall.
You shrank back, “Tell me you don’t love me anymore.” he said, his hand gently running along your jaw.

You missed his touch, he could tell from your eyes closing.
“Tell me you don’t love me anymore _______, and I’ll leave you alone.” his breath mingled with yours before he kissed your cheek. “Say it, and I’ll go away.” He placed kisses up along your jaw, each time demanding that you tell him that you had lost all feelings for him. He stopped as he kissed the corner of your mouth, “Do you want me to stop?” he breathed against your skin.
You couldn’t resist him, looking him in the eye you responded, “No.”

He smiled and quickly kissed you, pressing his body against yours. Your hands tangled in his soft brown locks feeling him lift you up, his fingers tickling the bottom of your thighs.

The heat between you was undeniable but you couldn’t give in. You didn’t know how you did it but you found enough self control to push him away. Confused he set you down, immediately trying to kiss you again.
“No Yongguk.” you panted, turning your head.
He let out a frustrated sigh, breathing against your neck, “_______.”

“No.” you teared up, pushing him away again, “No, this was a mistake.”

“Baby.” he sniffed, “_______, I miss you so much.”
His lips brushed against yours, and you gave him another kiss before the tears spilled out. You shook your head and walked away a few steps.
“I love you Yongguk, I really do.” you cried, “But-But you hurt me, and I don’t know if I can get over it.” you ran, leaving him there.

Zelo and Himchan sighed as they saw him fall, his back against the lockers.
“Hyung.” Zelo squatted next to him, “Come on, we’ll take you home.” he reached out for his arms. Yongguk cried in his younger cousin’s arms as he struggled to lift him up.

You sat in your car, continuing to cry against the steering wheel.
“Open the door.” You looked up seeing Zelo run to Yongguk’s car, followed by Himchan who was carrying him like a child as he cried. They got him into the backseat and as Himchan ran to the driver’s door he tossed Zelo his keys.
“Meet me there.” you heard him say.
From the backseat he lifted up his head, wiping away his tears but it was no use since you saw him cringe and hug his knees with new tears falling out as they drove away.

 

--

“Maybe you should just talk to him.” Min said quietly.
You lifted your head up from your textbook, “Really?”
She struggled to find the right words, “He’s always sad _______. He really loves you.”
“Then he wouldn’t have done what he did.” you muttered.
“_______, stop being so bitter.” Fei sighed.
You closed your eyes and shut your textbook.
“How would you feel if you found Teddy with another girl? Hm?” you turned to Min, “What if Jay just happened to ‘fall asleep’ next to another girl, another girl that you hated?!” Then you turned to Jia, “What if Mir told you he got a call from his ex girlfriend back in Jangseong and he was going back to her?”

They all gasped, “You’re dating Mir?!” Fei and Min gaped at Jia.
“Secretly dating…secretly.” she looked at you.
“Sorry.” you pressed your lips together, “I was angry.”
“This isn’t about me.” Jia sat down with you guys on the floor, “This is about fixing ______ and Yongguk.”
“There’s nothing to fix!” you whined.

“_______, you aren’t even sure that they actually slept together!” Fei slapped your hand.
“Are I’m not sure that they didn’t but, come on!” you begged, “What more do I need? He left the party at night, I found them together, the-the voicemail! I don’t need anything else.” you sighed, hugging your knees.
Min patted your back, comforting you. The door bell rang and Jia’s eyes widened.
“I’ll get it.” she quickly got up and ran.

From the living room you all heard her giggle, “Oh god.” you rolled your eyes.
She came back, her face slightly flushed, “Uhm, ________, I didn’t plan this. Trust me.”
“What?” your lifted your head up.
Behind her was Mir, “I didn’t plan this either.” he pressed his lips together.
She pointed to the door, “It’s for you.”

You looked at Min and Fei, “Go.” they nodded.
Quietly you got up and slowly went to the entrance of Jia’s house. Seungho stood, hands in his pockets while puffing his cheeks out.
“Seungho?” you asked.
He took off his sunglasses and smiled, “Hi _______.”
“What are you doing here?” you chuckled.
“Uhm.” he scratched the back of his neck, “I was wondering if uh you wanted to go get some ice cream with me.”
“Right now?” you asked, a little uncomfortable.

“Well, only if you’re not busy…” he shifted his weight from foot to foot.
“Sure.” you answered, “Um, just let me get changed.” you invited him inside and brought him to where the others were.
“Don’t hurt him.” you joked as he sat down next to Mir, “I’ll be right back.”
You walked to the stairs but Min caught up with you.
“What are you doing?” she hissed.
“What?” you asked innocently, “I’m going to get ice cream.”
“________.” she sighed, “I don’t think it’s a good idea to hang out with Seungho right now.”
“But you know what a good idea is?” you changed the subject, “That we get to perform our song Thursday night.”
“_______.” she raised a brow, “Just, be careful okay? You’re very vulnerable right now and-just be careful.”
“I got it.” you assured and continued on your way to Jia’s room.