Fourteen

Bring It

“Awwww~” the three girls chorused. You had just finished telling them about your date with Yongguk.
“So, is there a second date~?” asked Min, poking at your side.
You nodded shyly, “I don’t know when but there will be.”
“Did he kiss you?” asked Jia, they all leaned in.
“He kissed my forehead.” you said innocently.
Min giggled, “Aw. He’s sweet.”
“Takin’ it slow~ Good choice.” said Fei, “I would’ve beat him if he stuck his tongue down your throat.”
You giggled, “I hate sneaking around Jay oppa, but….I really really like Yongguk.” you confessed.
They ‘awed’ again, your phone beeped, taking away your attention.

From: Jay
To: _________

You missed Zico’s crew perform, the fire alarm went off so the sprinklers soaked the stage, they kept falling! It was HILARIOUS.
I’ll see you tomorrow, night.


“Speak of the devil.” you said typing up a quick good night.
“Question…do you guys know why they don’t get along?” you asked them.
Min bit her lip and looked at Jia and Fei.
“Oh come on! Don’t tell me I have to hear it from them! That’s all everyone tells me, should I be worried about liking Yongguk or-”
“No, neither of them are in the wrong…well kind of but they were both played.” interrupted Fei.
“What are you talking about?” you asked.

Jia sighed, “Her name was Jieun, she dated Jay first and they were together for a really long time.” she started.
“When Yongguk transferred here in middle school she completely forgot about Jay. She ignored his calls, pretended he wasn’t there, it was like he was invisible to her.” continued Min.
“Yongguk didn’t know Jay existed, so you can’t really put any blame on him. He never saw him until that one night…” said Fei.
“It was Jia and I’s first year of high school.” she continued, “It was when Teddy had already graduated, that’s when he met Tukutz. They got to talking and held cyphers under this bridge near the Han river.”
“Jieun ignored Jay’s texts so she didn’t think about him being there. She showed up with Yongguk and Jay saw them.” said Min.

“Jay was pissed, he went over and got in Yongguk’s face. Jieun pretended that she didn’t know who Jay was. She played out the innocent act and Yongguk believed her.” sighed Jia. “That night they battled for the first time, and it ended in a tie. The next day…they got into a fight at school.”
“They hate each other over a girl?” you raised an eyebrow.
They nodded, “That’s a big part of why he doesn’t want you around Yongguk, but it’s also because he can’t trust him. He was hurt bad, and it’ll take more than just a simple ‘I’m sorry’ to get them to get along.”
“Over a girl?” you asked again. “Doesn’t this seem, I don’t know a little childish?”
“Of course it is!” said Min, digging into a pint of ice cream. “But they’re boys, of course they’re going to be childish, they won’t listen.”

“What happened to Jieun?” you asked curiously.
“She moved away.” answered Fei, “Her and her three friends just packed up and left after that happened.”
You raised your eyebrows, “So this is why they don’t get along, over a girl who lied and they’re too proud to admit that she was the one in the wrong?”
“Pretty much.” they nodded.
You sighed, “Awesome.”
“Can we stop talking about this?” frowned Min, “It’s really killing my sugar high.”
You all chuckled, “Come on, let’s see who can stuff the most cookies in their mouth!”

--

“OHHHHHHHH!!!” Teddy’s voice echoed in the club. “This is a close one!!!”
You smiled and sat back down on the speaker next to Jia.
“Your boyfriend here yet?” she teased.
You pouted, “Stop calling him that! And no…he’s not here yet.”
She giggled, “Miss Jia~” Teddy came over, “Would you do us the honor?” he motioned towards the two competitors.
“With pleasure.” she got up and stood in between them.
“GD?!” She raised his hand in the air, awaiting the cheers.
“Alright, alright.” said Teddy.
“Junhyung?!” she lifted his hand up.

“Tough call.” said Teddy, “What do you think?” he asked Jia.
“I’m going to go with…..GD!” She lifted his hand, the crowd broke out in cheers.
They both shook hands calmly walked off to the side. As another battle started you saw Yongguk come from behind the curtains, followed by Zelo and Himchan.
A smile appeared on your face. Min and Fei poked your sides, “Quit staring~”
You looked at them, “What?” you asked innocently.
They laughed and you turned back meeting eyes with him. You blushed and looked down.

You looked up again to see Jia and Teddy whispering back and forth.
“They want it.” you heard him say.
“Both? I don’t do handicapped battles!” she said.
You furrowed your brows and walked up, “What’s wrong unnie?”
“Bring up Lil’ Park!” he said.
“Those two over there want to battle, I’m not scared but I can only handle so much.”
You looked in the direction she did. Two guys stood there, probably looking for some ‘easy’ competition.
“Let’s do it unnie!” you urged. “Please~”

“AYOO~ Can we get a round of applause! Tag team battle!!” Teddy announced.
Jia chuckled, “Looks like the decision has been made.”
The crowd cheered seeing both of you, “It’s Big Dog’s vs.-” he looked at us.
“What’s our name?” we both asked at the same time.
“Oh oh oh! I got one!” Jay ran up, “Fresh Seoul!” he smiled, “Got a nice ring to it huh?”
You and Jia giggled, “Alright, we’ll go with that.”
“PEOPLE! Don’t you dare walk out, our tag team battle of the night is Big Dogs, vs. Fresh Seoul!”
Jia beamed at you and you both faced the two competitors.

--

“No fear!” you said to Jia, she was getting nervous.
She nodded and took a deep breath. “You got this unnie!” assured Min, rubbing her shoulders.
“You ready Lil’ Park?” said Fei with an encouraging smile.
You nodded and looked at Jia, “Let’s get it!” she said excitedly.
A fist bump was exchanged between the two of you as Teddy motioned the four contestants to the center.

“Alright, who goes first from the competitors side?” asked Teddy.
The one with dark hair, and a red and black cap spoke up, “I will.”
Teddy nodded, “Follow up?” he asked us.
Jia looked at me, “Can I?” she asked.
“Of course!” you said, “Get’em unnie!” you said proudly.
The other two chuckled, amused at our confidence.
“Well then, let’s get this show on the road!” Teddy said, “Each one gets 60 no beat, that good?” They all nodded in agreement.
“I need to hear y’all out there, let’s give them some support!”

“Let’s get this out of the way,
Once I’m done with you, you’ll want to runaway.
Your life will end up like a drama cliché,

You’ll end up workin’ in a cabaret.
Head back from where you came from,
hate to say it baby but you sound a little dumb.
I’ll cause injury to your brain,

Make you think too much, have you goin’ insane.
Lil’ mama, this is MY domain,
This place can’t contain,
My immaculate flow, who you kiddin’ hoe?”

You immediately went forward and stood closer to Jia as the crowd ooh’ed.
His friend smirked a little, already finding a weakness in you: Your loyalty to your friends.

I’m almost done though, you can chill

I don’t know how you’ll be able to follow up my immense skills.
Who told you, you had a chance?
At first glance you seem like all you can do is a Chinese fold dance.
You a little ahead of yourself-”


“TIME!” called Tukutz.
The crowd cheered, “Jia, murk this fool.” said Teddy.
She smirked lightly as you handed her the mic, giving her pat on the shoulder.

“You judged a book by its’ cover

Fresh Seoul’s about to send Big Dogs to the ICU,
it’ll take you a while to recover.
I’m definitely ahead, ahead of you.
I got more talent in my pinky than your whole crew.
Fool got the nerve to call me dumb,
Newsflash I’m ranked second, get you some!
Your flow sounds practiced, sound rehearsed

This is a freestyle battle son, we won’t allow a prewritten verse!
Give up now, ya style is whack,

Is someone recordin’? I wanna see the playback.
Just stand back, you can’t talk smack, you ain’t in here,

You just a passerby, a sightseer, after this you’ll need to disappear!
This battle is done, I just scorched ya,
You too weak, can’t handle my Chinese water torture!
I-”


“TIME!” You were speechless as you walked to Jia.
“Unnie, marry me!” you joked.
She giggled, “OH ! Miss Jia…..DAMN!” Teddy couldn’t think of anything else.
“Just….DAYUM!” he repeated. “Do we really need to continue after that?” he looked around. The crowd started chanting your name, “Oh, well I don’t think there’s any question of who’s going to win this next one, but for the sake of fun let’s try it.” he motioned for the guy to step in the middle. You kept a straight face on, ready to dodge any lines he would throw. Yongguk watch intently, he’d seen that look before, that night you first battled him. He knew that you wouldn’t lose, you were determined.

“You both seem confident, real bold.
But ya’ lyrics ain’t gold truth be told.
You can’t on my level, you too damn small,
Thinkin‘ you can run with the Big Dogs, you can‘t even crawl!
Oh you don’t know, we run this ,
Shouldn’t you be learnin’ how to knit?
Let’s be honest, you don’t belong here, get off the stage!”


He inched closer to you, making you clench your fist. Jay and Yongguk tensed up as well and took a step closer into the circle.

“I see your vein poppin’ out, am I causin’ some rage?
You’re new but so well known,
Aye Park, how many guys have you let bone?”


You shook your head little, amused at his line. You felt Jay come right beside you, and you saw Yongguk clench his jaw, throwing daggers at the back of the contestants head. You softened and gave him a look to not do anything.
“I got…damn..I got.” He struggled to come up with whatever his next line was.
“You…….” He shook his head and walked back next to his partner.
Teddy raised his brows for a quick second and then motioned for you to go ahead. Jia handed you the mic, and Jay patted your shoulders.

“Yo, you forget your lines?
I know I’m new but, you can borrow some of mines.
I see your friend takin’ notes,
aye, don’t forget to put them in quotes!
You got some nerve comin’ up here,
Should’ve steered clear, wasn’t there a warning sign?
It should say ‘No weak rhymes pass this line.’
Then you called me small, oh that one took a toll,
I’m a ‘Little Winner’ with a ‘Fresh Seoul’!
This ain‘t your domain, it belongs to Jepp and JP,
I’m just a trainee, what you thought I’d be easy?
I’ll prove you wrong that I can guarantee.
Teddy, you should stop lettin’ these fools in for free.
I don’t bribe to get ahead, I’ll rely on my skill instead.

“TIME!” Jay and Yongguk both smirked at their small shout out. You breathed out, another line and you probably would have had to stop from the lack of oxygen.
“WOOOOOO!” Teddy motioned for all of you to meet in the center. You and Jia stood to his right, “Let’s see, let’s see.” Teddy muttered.
“Ah, Jepp! Bro, if you would.” he stepped back and offered his spot in the middle of both duos. Jia nudged me nonchalantly as he smirked.
“An offer I can’t refuse.” you heard him say as he took his spot next to you.
Your lips formed a line as you felt your hands lace together.

“People! Cheer for the best!” announced Teddy.
Yongguk raised your opponents hand, there were a few cheers, nothing major.
“Ouch.” said Teddy.
Yongguk’s thumb brushed up and down yours as he lifted yours up. You jumped from surprise at how loud they cheered for you and Jia.
“Like we didn’t see that comin’!” You and Jia jumped up and down as the crowd booed the other two off the stage.

“You did good.” you turned hearing Yongguk’s voice.
You smiled, but before you could thank him you heard Jay’s uncomfortable cough. “Let’s go ________.” he linked arms with you and pulled you away.
You frowned and turned back to see Yongguk looking down with a look of disappointment.