022

The Game Changer

 

“This is funny.” Luhan put down the paper, Kris glanced up across him.

The two were inside a conference hall, it was a monthly meeting held by the government for all hotel owners and CEOs.

Kris eyed the paper, it was a compilation of photos of him and Gu Li.

“They’re making something out of nothing, how is that funny?”

“I don’t mean that but the fact that people are talking about you and Gu Li is.” Luhan replied, Kris glanced at the paper again.

“You…You find her intriguing, right?” Luhan pressed.

“She’s like a sister.” Kris replied, Luhan smiled to himself.

“You rarely talk to women, I can see how you hesitate before approaching her, wei shenme?”

Kris looked away from his friend, other directors had stepped in the room.

“Let me step over the line, just for a minute here.” Luhan nodded to himself.

“I know..Songhee is still there, but…it’s not right if you use her as a reason not to meet others.”

“What did I say? Gu Li is like a sister to me, she’s close with Jilliane too, don’t think too much about it.” Kris stood up to call his secretary.

“Sister?” Luhan made a face as he leaned back on his chair.

 

 

“Shushu(Uncle), hi.” Gu Li smiled as he joined her uncle and Lay at the table, they were to have lunch together.

“I heard you’ve been making quite a debut. Most managers have been complaining about you, not that I don’t approve of it.” The elder smiled at her.

“They asked for it, I just gave in.” She shrugged.

“Abeonim, sorry for being late!” Chaerin walked to them, Gu Li’s brows rose briefly but she continued on fiddling with her wine glass. Lay glanced over at her.

I didn’t know she was invited.” She said in Mandarin, Mister Zhang looked at her.

Your secretary told me it was going to be a family lunch.” She continued with a polite smile.

“She doesn’t speak Mandarin, mei.” The elder Zhang replied carefully, underneath the table, Lay squeezed Gu Li’s hand meaningfully.

“Oh, right. I’m sorry.” Gu Li nodded with a thin smile.

“Right, since you young people are here, abeoji wants to set the date of the wedding soon.”

Lay glanced at his father.

“Agung?” He echoed, the elder nodded again. Gu Li’s brows furrowed as she saw Chaerin smile in delight.

 

 

 

Gu Li bowed politely as her uncle walked to his car, she felt Lay looking at her, she didn’t say anything as she took out her phone.

“We need to meet.” She muttered.

“Why are you in such a rush?” DO asked, Gu Li started walking away from her cousin and fiancé, she maneuvered herself through the sidewalk while brisk walking.

“They’re moving up the date, it’s going to be in two months.”

“Gu Li, you can’t rush these things~”

“We can.”

 

Luhan had just gotten out of the building with Kris when he noticed a familiar head of blonde hair a few meters away from him.

Gu Li was speaking to her phone while walking quickly, her eyes were cold and jaw set.

“Oh, it’s my favorite female CEO.” Luhan mused before jogging towards her, Kris sighed before following his friend.

“We can, Kyungsoo. Just set me a meeting, I can go alone~” Gu Li halted when she felt someone tap her shoulder.

“Ge.” She blinked and put her phone down, Kris noticed the frown on her face.

“Is something wrong? Are you being chased?” Luhan asked, Kris looked around them. Gu Li took a shaky breath before facing them.

“No, but..”

Luhan looked at her.

“Ge, I really need to go, we cant talk..maybe later? I have to go somewhere.” She started to hail a cab, Luhan’s eyes widened, Gu Li was walking around without a coat in just her colored knit dress.

“Mei, wait~”

“I need to ge, Luhan ge, I promise I’ll call~”

“Gu Li.”

Kris stepped forward, she paused.

“Where are you going?”

“I~”

“I’ll drive you there, so, no need for a cab.” Kris said flatly, he shook off his coat and draped it around her.

Luhan’s lips quirked up.

 

 

Kris stared at the building, he was dumfounded.

They were in front of Seoul Police Station.

“Are…you in trouble?” Kris stuttered, his eyes went to Gu Li who was sitting beside him.

Gu Li’s laugh made him look up, then he paused. Her cheeks were pink from the cold and he noticed that her hair was a little shorter compared to the first time he met her.

“That bad, huh?” She finally spoke, Kris looked at her questioningly.

“I came here to meet someone ge, I know I may seem a little reckless~”

“I didn’t mean that, I was~” Kris panicked slightly, but Gu Li just slapped his arm playfully, he saw through the front mirror the stunned look on his chauffeur’s face.

“Don’t worry, I’m not in trouble…yet, anyway, thanks for the ride.” She mused before sliding down from the car, she shut the door quickly and padded towards the entrance doors.

“Sir, shall we go?”

Kris’s eyes went to her, then he glanced at the building again.

Shall we?

 

Gu Li was waiting in an interrogation room, she grew amused as she sat on the chair.

Zhang Yixing better buy me a Birkin for this one.

“You are going to get into trouble for this.”

“Funny, I’ve been told something similar earlier.” Gu Li didn’t bother to turn to greet the male.

“Long time no see, baby girl.” The older male grinned. Gu Li smirked as he sat across her, she produced a small envelop from her purse and pushed it towards him. Changmin’s brows rose as he opened it.

“Gu…Corporation?”

“Wae? Your reaction..its as if~”

“Are you sure you want to investigate on them?” Changmin pressed.

“Are you already investigating on them?” Gu Li shot back, Changmin paused, he nodded.

“We have been following the company for the past year, they…are a little suspicious.”

Gu Li nodded and leaned on the table.

“They have eleven fake subsidiaries, oppa.”

“I know that, kid.” Changmin chuckled.

“So, is this because the daughter is marrying your cousin or you received the calling to join the force?” Changmin gestured for her to stand.

“I just want to protect my family, just that.” She replied, he smiled and pinched her cheek, Gu Li’s eyes narrowed at him.

“I’ll call you when I get something. Let’s grab dinner sometime.”

Got it.

 

Gu Li was chewing on her lip as she stepped out of the elevator; she was in deep thought as she went down the steps of the building’s frontage.

She was about to take her phone out, when she felt someone looking at her, she looked up, Kris was leaning against his black Rolls Royce, his eyes on her.

You’re still here.” She walked to him, Kris nodded, she didn’t notice how his brows were furrowed in frustration.

I figured since I didn’t have any meetings left, I decided to not give Lay a chance to yell at me that I let you go inside the police station alone.

Gu Li’s lips quirked up.

And, if its okay, Jilliane’s dismissal from school is in ten minutes, we’ll just pass by~

It’s okay, let’s go then.” Gu Li nodded, Kris opened the door for her and gestured for her to get inside.

Kris scratched the back of his neck before following in his head.

 

What was he doing?

 

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++