018

The Game Changer

“A barbeque?” Lay asked as over dinner, Gu Li nodded across him.

“Since..I came back, the guys are here too, it has been a while since we last gathered, ge, you can call your friends too.” She smiled.

“Hmm, sounds nice.”

“So, can I do that?”

“Of course,” Lay chuckled and urged her to eat.

Gu Li smiled and glanced at her cousin.

“But we haven’t reached to a conclusion yet, ge.”

Lay paused, but Gu Li shook her head at him.

“I’m still against you following grandfather’s wishes, I’m just..holding back now.”

 

Gu Li smiled at her chauffeur as he opened the Rolls Royce’s door for her, she settled in and leaned against the warm seats.

“Just because she’s a Zhang, she thinks she can do this to us?”

 “Does she even know what CEO stands for?”

 “All she probably knows is how to shop and spend money.

She bit on her lip and leaned her head against the window.

Then her phone started to ring.

On your way to work?” Mark asked from the other line. She didn’t reply.

You said they were questioning you, then be a CEO. Be someone they fear and respect.

It’s not that easy, this isn’t my forte you know that.

I know, doc. Still, I know you can do it, I’m helping with the steaks later by the way.

She chuckled.

 

 

Kris walked in the dining hall and found Jillian already eating.

Good morning, uncle.” She beamed at him, Kris smiled and kissed the crown of her head. He picked up the remote and switched on the flat screen television as he sat down.

Morning news.” Jill made a face before facing her pancakes again, Kris chuckled and picked up the paper, he browsed to the gossip column, then he smiled again.

“Is something funny?” Jill looked at him curiously.

“Nope, I just saw something, more syrup?” He asked as he picked the up the glass container.

But, daddy, can we see Gu Li unnie again?

Kris paused.

You must really like that unnie,

Jilliane just nodded at him.

 

 

The car’s door opened, then Gu Li’s secretary balked and stepped back as the two adult Rottweilers stepped down from the car, then Gu Li followed, she was dressed in a black Balmain pant suit with a sheer white shirt and a pair of Christian Louboutin stilettos.

“G—Good morning, chairman.” The secretary stuttered in fear, she nodded back and started to walk, her two pets walked on both of her sides, in step with her. The employees in the lobby paused as she entered.

Tyke, boy, here.” She murmured as one of her boys started to growl at a certain director passing by.

The elevator doors opened and Gu Li walked in, the employees froze in fear as the dogs walked in.

“They don’t bite, I’m not sure if they can kill though, but they’re obedient and docile.” She stated as the doors closed, the two dogs sat down in unison.

 

 

The directors in the room stood up as Gu Li entered, she took her seat beside Lay.

Sit.” She waved her hand at Theo and Tyke, Lay winced.

“They’re here.”

“They keep me calm, ge.” She replied.

“Then, let’s start the meeting.” Lay announced, the lights dimmed and one by one the managers from different departments started to talk.

Gu Li leaned back and tuned in, her brows rose briefly.

“Wait,”

The lights went back, Lay looked at her.

“This project, its still under construction now, right?” She asked, the manager nodded haughtily. Gu Li smiled.

“In Paju, chairman, it has started before you were appointed~”

“I’m not curious about that, but,” Gu Li tapped her fingers on the table.

“I studied the budget tables two days ago, this Paju project of yours, in this report you stated that the amount the company has shed out to fund this is around 4.23 billion won,” She gestured towards the folder before her.

“But yesterday, I made  trip to our finance department and the accounting department, the first office said 4.23 billion yes, but the accounting department showed me their books, the amount you requested is 5.30 billion won, why is that?” She pressed. The directors in the room halted and shifted their gazes.

“Question of the day, where did the 1.7 billion go.” She stated, Lay blinked at her.

“Then, director So, you’re assigned with the Busan expansion, the invoices your department submitted are illegitimate, they look tampered. You should check on that.”

The males in the room winced and looked away again, Gu Li made them nervous.

“Another, Cheongju project, whose is it?” She looked up.

“It’s..mine, ma’am.”

“The permit for us to operate, when are you going to follow it up? It has been delayed for a week already, I will need you to submit all records of transactions you have with the offices too, so that we can double check.” She stated, then she looked at Lay.

“I’m done clarifying, vice president Zhang.” Gu Li smiled slightly and leaned back on her seat.

 

 

Lay chuckled as he walked out of the hall, most of the directors and managers were scratching their heads and complaining.

“Hello, mei.” He mused as Gu Li walked to him.

“They asked for a CEO, not my fault.”

“Go easy on them,” Lay winced.

She smiled, then her two dogs stood alertly.

“Oppa!” Chaerin chirped as she approached them, Theo and Tyke started to growl.

Chaerin yelped and stepped back. Lay looked at his cousin pleadingly.

Theo, Tyke, down.” Gu Li said half heartedly, the dogs obeyed and walked back to their master.

“…Your..pets?”

“They’re my kids, I suggest you not to show up before them because sometimes they don’t listen well.” Gu Li nodded, then she left.

 

Kris walked in his office and found a small icebox on his table.

“Sir,”

He turned and faced his secretary.

“This came from Chairman Zhang’s office earlier,” She informed, Kris nodded and opened the box.

Inside was a bowl of patbingsu.

“Should I keep her name in our records sir?”

“Yes, remember her, she’s Lay’s cousin. Put her in line one too.” Kris nodded and plucked out the note stuck on the box.

 

Well, you won, mister Wu. And, I hope the elevator incident won’t ever reach my cousin’s ears. Thanks!

 

PS

 Really though, thanks for not telling him

 

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++