Entry 47

That Particular Boy

23.09.2014 (Tuesday)

I didn't spend time with Squishy since he needed time alone. Instead, I wasted my afternoon away by being a third wheel on Jongjae’s date.

“Kyungsoo-oppa, are you feeling well?” I asked once I reached the shop.

“Can you go home early today? I need some time alone.” Squishy muttered, his face turned away from me. His sudden change in attitude surprised me, and I couldn't deny that it did hurt me to know that I wasn't the person he wanted to be sharing his problems with.

“Are you sure you don't need me? I can stay for a bit…” I croaked, stuttering over a few words.

“I’m fine, you can go.”

“Okay, take care of yourself.” I waved goodbye at him, but he didn't return the gesture, causing me to sigh loudly. Well, since I couldn't spend the afternoon with Squishy, then who should I spend it with?

My question was soon answered when I noticed Jongjae walking hand-in-hand in the direction of the nearby shopping centre.

“Hwajae!” I yelled while swinging my arms in the air to catch their attention.

“Aren’t you supposed to be at the shop with hyung?” Kai cocked a brow when he saw me approaching them.

“Kyungsoo doesn't really feel like spending time with me today.”

“What’s wrong with him?” Hwajae frowned.

“Beats me. He’s been acting weird since yesterday. So can I join you?”

“You’re just going to be a third wheel, you know?” Kai folded his arms, though he sounded more like he was teasing me instead of being irritated.

“As if you weren’t a third wheel before! You always wanted to tag along on our dates!” I retaliated.

“That was when I was single, are you single now?”

“How do these two things even relate?”

“You can just join us.” Hwajae said with finality, and Kai as always, listened to her.

Turned out that both of them haven’t had lunch, so I sat in the same table as them and pretended to be occupied with my phone while they ate.

It seemed that they had a habit of wandering around the shopping centre aimlessly, drowning in their own conversations everyday after school, even with me around. However, I didn't mention anything, I simply watched the couple stroll in front of me, conversing continuously with no particular topic in focus. They often moved from one subject to the other very fast, and it was amusing to listen in on what they were saying.

When we walked past a dessert shop, the couple suddenly stopped in their tracks. “Can we get ice-cream?” Hwajae’s eyes twinkled when she saw the huge poster with mouth-watering desserts printed on it.

“I don't see why not.”

“You need it too, you look stressed.” She placed a reassuring hand on my shoulder, but I only shrugged.

After we got the flavours of ice-cream we wanted, Hwajae pulled me abruptly towards her so that we would be sitting side-by-side, while Kai sat opposite us. At first we ate our desserts in silence, but Kai decided to break it by offering a spoonful of his own ice-cream to Hwajae, who didn't seem very impressed.

“I’m saliva-conscious.” She deadpanned.

“Oh…” A disappointed expression hung on his face.

“Don't worry, she’ll get over it soon enough. I mean, kissing requires the sharing of saliva too.” I said, self-satisfied with my explanation.

“Is that seriously all you think about, Jihyun?” She shot an unamused look at me.

“I think of many other things too. But trust me, she’s not going to be saliva-conscious with you anymore once that happens.” A corner of my lips quirked up before I took another spoonful of my ice-cream and shoved it into my mouth.

“Why are you talking about this in front of me?” She cried out in exasperation, causing both Kai and me to erupt in laughter.