Chapter 41

Home
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Eun Ah kept her body stiff and hunched as Yoon entered the room to pick up the water and uneaten dumplings. She stared blankly at him as he glared at her, giving her a kick in the shin before slipping out the door.

She let out a shaky breath before reaching into her pants to pull out the metal chopsticks. She glanced at the door before using her unhurt hand to jimmy one of the sticks into the bolt of the shackle. She kept picking on it at the chopstick slowly started to bend.

She bit her lip in concentration, hoping that the chopsticks didn't break before she could break free. She grunted and started using her right hand even though it was still pulsing from the pain. Blood started seeping through the cut but she ignored the burn and kept working on the bolt.

When the bolt started loosening, she started jabbing the rusted clamp until the whole thing came apart. She caught it quickly before it hit the ground and started on the other bolts.

Her ankles took a little longer to unscrew because she started shaking in excitement. She finally untangled herself from the chains and made a run for the door.

Eun Ah stumbled when she first stood, her knees buckled from not using her legs for so long. She held in her scream when her knees slammed against the metal floor.

She paused and collected her breath before pushing herself off the ground and raced to the door.

She wrapped her fingers around the handle and stood on her tip toes and peaked out of the little window cut out.

Coast is clear.

She pulled another y pin out of her hair and followed Himchan's instructions with the handcuffs and applied it to the door. She spent a few seconds messing with it until it opened with a click.

She slowed opened the door but frowned when it didn't open all the way. Her eyes moved up and noticed a bolt chain holding the door to the frame. Eun Ah touched the chain and slid her finger in on the chain links.

It looked small enough to fit her weapon of choice.

She pulled out her chopsticks and slid it in one of the chains. She gathered all her strength and twisted the stick against the chain until it broke, snapping the chopstick in half as well.

She threw the remains to the side before creaking the door open, while peeking her eye out to check for any of the four lingering around.

Eun Ah gulped when it looked empty and ran out of the room, jumping over emptied beer bottles and headed straight for the stairwell that was still only half built.

She limped a little as her feet moved quickly as she pranced down the stairs, move carefully over the broken steps.

 She whimpered every time her foot pricked on a piece of wood but she blocked it all out and just focused on escaping.

When she heard footsteps coming closer to her, Eun Ah froze and stood in her spot as they got louder. She quickly ducked behind large planes of drywall and held her breath as Haemin passed by her. He stopped in his footsteps and tilted his face up and sniffed in the air.

Eun Ah covered with her hand and shook when she saw him turn around and scan the area.

Of all four of them, Eun Ah learned in a short period of time that, Haemin was the closest thing to a psychopath. He seemed to always be in bloodlust with that knife of his. It didn't look like he ever had a conscience or felt pity.

For Christ sake, the man had picked up her scent like a bloodhound. There was no way that he all there in the head.

She ducked further behind the dry walls as his eyes landed on the tall boards. He moved towards them, a maniac look in his eye. Just as his hand reached for the white pieces, Yoon interrupted him.

"What are you still doing here? We need to pack our stuff. Grab the girl and start moving, the money is supposed to be transferred in a few hours."

Haemin grunted and gave the boards one last look before heading up the stairs. Eun Ah almost collapsed on the spot when he was gone and she quickly slipped out from behind the boards and ran as fast as she could.

She found an opening and sped through the door. Every inch of her body was screaming in burning pain, but she just kept running, hoping that she'd be able to hit a road soon.

She barely had time to register that they were in the middle of a forest. She had only seen the area at night so she had no idea where she was going. Her eyes landed on the dents of the tires on the soft mud.

She slowed her pace and followed the tracks with her eyes to see which direction the came from.

This must be from last night.

Eun Ah turned and followed the path that the tire marks led to. She weaved through the trees, ducking from branches and leaves crunching under her bare feet.

"Road. Road. Road. Road. Find a damn road." She chanted to herself as she hissed at the branches that scraped her skin.

Eun Ah tripped over a root and felt tears line her eyes in frustration as she dragged herself up. Her tears only spilled faster when she heard a booming voice from nearby.

"YOU ING USELESS ASSSHOLES! SHE CAN'T HAVE GONE THAT FAR! FIND HER AND BRING HER BACK. DEAD OR ALIVE."

-----

Yongguk banged his fist against the steering wheel as he and Himchan got back into the car. They kept coming up with dead ends and now after hearing back from the others it seemed like none of them were getting any closer to finding her.

"Did you hear back from Jongup yet?"

"No, he isn't answering his cell so I just left him a message and a text. He's probably driving right now." Himchan said as he checked his phone.

Yongguk nodded and pulled out of the abandoned lot. They drove in silence as they tried another road.

"What am I doing wrong?" Yongguk mumbled as his grip on the wheel tightened.

Himchan didn't reply right away. It was hard for him to stay caught up with Yongguk's thoughts.

"You fell in love with her."

Yongguk swallowed his saliva down his dry throat as his shoulders sagged.

"Is that so wrong?" He asked quietly, begging Himchan for an answer.

"Yeah, I guess it is, considering your job is to protect her objectively but what's done is done." He said with a shrug.

"Should I stop?"

Himchan's head snapped up and he looked at Yongguk in surprise. "Stop? Stop what? Loving her?"

Yongguk nodded slowly as he kept his eyes on the road.

Himchan laughed dryly. "Is that even possible for you to do? Even if you wanted to?"

"No, but I can keep it to myself. Pretend like there's nothing there." He said, his voice never breaking a mumble.

"I'm just making a guess here, but it sounds like it's only going to make it worse if you do."

Yongguk's eyes flickered to his ring, "I can't do that to her. It'll be too messy, she can't know how I feel."

Himchan twisted his face in confusion. "Why not? Isn't that the whole point? To share your girly feelings with each other?"

Yongguk shook his head. "How would you react if the person that's protecting you confesses their feelings? She's going to feel guilty and burdened. I don't want her to do anything just because she feels like she has to pay me back. Her life is complicated enough without me messing it up even more."

Himchan snorted and looked out his window, completely ignoring the call from Jongup on his lap. "Trust me, if that woman doesn't like you, she's going to make it crystal clear."

-----

Eun Ah started running on eggshells because she had no time to walk on them. She heard the men split up in different directions which would mean that one of them would be coming towards her.

She wiped her dirtied brow and pushed through the trees when she noticed a clearing in front of her. She picked up her weak pace and climbed over a wire fence. She jumped over a fallen tree trunk and stumbled out into the road.

She looked both ways and noticed not a single car driving by. closed in anticipation of being saved and the fear of being so close yet so far.

She paused when she heard a light, distant sound of an engine coming towards her and started running towards it. The gravel was tearing at her feet but that didn't stop her...no, but something else did.

"Looks like the big bad wolf found little red riding hood."

She turned around and saw Haemin standing a few feet away from her with a sadistic smile and a blade in his hand.

She took a shaky step back as he approached her.

"I'm sure you heard the announcement. Dead or alive." Eun Ah's feet

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter