Chapter 16

Home
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Eun Ah tightened her grip on Yongguk's hand when they stepped into the ballroom. The ceiling was sky high with grand crystal chandeliers hanging proudly over the packed house. The room was luxuriously decorated while servers floated around with drinks and appetizers. Music was playing lightly inside but the bass was loud from the music that was blaring in the backyard. It was like the inside was cocktail party and the outside was a club.

 She furrowed her eyes when she noticed people looking their way. "What are they looking at?"

Yongguk fought the smile breaking out of his lips and the pride swelling in his chest when everyone gaped at Eun Ah. "You."

Eun Ah's eyes widened and she started stuttering. "W-why? I-is something wrong?" She started pulling at the dress, feeling insecure in the lavish gown.

"You're just an unexpected surprise." He worded carefully as he nodded at some recognizable faces, but everyone had their eyes locked on their entangled hands. Murmurs were already making their way through the hall as the crowd looked between the two of them and their locked hands.

 It was only going to be a matter of seconds before everyone found out about the mystery girl by Yongguk's side.

"I'm glad you were able to make it Guk."

The two of them turned around when they heard a relaxed voice come up behind them. Jiyong stood in a maroon suit and a glass of champagne in his hand.

Eun Ah had never met this man before but she could already feel the power  and respect radiating off of him  as Yongguk smiled and shook the his hand. "I always do Jiyong."

Jiyong? As in THE Jiyong?

"And you must be Eun Ah." He held his hand out and she quickly returned the gesture. "It's nice to meet you, I've heard so much about you."

He glanced towards Yongguk's hand tied around hers and his other tucked safely in his pocket.  "Likewise." He gave them a knowing smile.

"She seems quite out of your league Yongguk. How did you land her? Did you kidnap her?"

If only you knew.

Yongguk only gave him a tense smile in return. Jiyong smirked at his silence and nodded at the ballroom.

"I need to go make a few rounds, but I'll bring Dara by and meet up with you guys later. I've been dying to meet you Eun Ah ssi and I hope I get a chance to speak to you properly before you leave. Enjoy yourselves." He smiled at them before disappearing in the crowd.

"Amazing, I've talked to him for 2 seconds and I think I'm already his biggest fan." Eun Ah was stunned at Jiyong's charismatic persona even if he only shared a few words.

"He's known for having that effect on people, so now that you've met the host, it's time to meet the rest of the guests." He pulled her towards the crowd. "Remember, you want to get to know them, get acquainted, these are the people that you want to have your back. Make some friends."

Yongguk took her around the floor, introducing her to different people. Eun Ah was surprised how unbelievably pleasant everyone was to her. She half expected them to treat her like when Yongguk first met her but instead they welcomed her like an old friend.

She had quickly found a group of people that she had gotten close to. Some of them would ask her about herself and others would share funny stories about Yongguk as a kid who would roll his eyes at every one of Eun Ah's snickers but there were a few people that said the strangest things to her that she couldn't shake.

"So how's it like?" Eun Ah looked over at one of Dara's friends whom she had  grown close to.

"What?"

"How's it like living with Yongguk?" Chaerin said with a playful smile.

Eun Ah laughed awkwardly, "It's fine, I guess, I still have to help feed 7 mouths but the kids are sweet and it always gives me something to do. It's almost never boring."

"Yeah, they're hard not to love, well everyone except Daehyun and Himchan."

Eun Ah snorted in agreement. Looks like I'm not the only one who's had enough of those brats.

Chaerin grabbed Eun Ah's hands and held them tightly "Let me just say that when I heard about you, I was almost afraid to meet you. I never thought a girl like you would exist so I imagined the worst possible scenario, I was positive that I wouldn't like you, but you're a doll! I can't believe he hid you from us for so long!"

Eun Ah glanced up at Yongguk with a confused look. "Chaerin." Eun Ah picked up on Yongguk's warning tone and suddenly felt out of the loop.

"Oh don't get your in a twist, this whole thing is your fault, if you had just introduced your wif--"

"Chaerin! Don't you have somewhere else to be?" Yongguk cut her off and gave her a threatening look before the said girl scoffed, gave Eun Ah a hug and walked away.

"What was that about?" Eun Ah poked Yongguk's chest, surprised by his behaviour.

Yongguk ignored her look and wrapped his arm around her waist, his thumb instinctively brushing back and forth against the lace cut outs in her dress, sending shivers down her spine when he touched bare skin..

He was getting kind of irritated and not just because of Chaerin's loose mouth. He noticed that some of the rookies who came without a date kept checking Eun Ah out every time he wasn't holding her in some way. It was getting on his nerves and he just wanted to poke their eyes out with the little appetizer skewers.

 He had to deal with this stuff when he would bring Yongmi but those men knew who she was and most of them would be too intimidated to approach her. But Eun Ah was a different case. She was a new (and attractive) face which was equivalent to fresh meat, these men were like vultures, wanting to bang whatever that breathes. Even when he was holding her hand, these guys were watching her every move, waiting for a chance to pounce. He tucked her closer to his chest so that he could feel her warmth pressed to his side, her  raspberry scent brushing his nose.

Why is this woman so difficult?

Eun Ah, on the other hand, had gotten used to his odd skinship and chalked it up as an act for their little show. She, was more concerned about the weird questions people had been asking her.

"How long have you known him?"

"Damn, so the rumors are true huh? Never thought he had it in him."   

"So you're the girl everyone's talking about."  

"You're too pretty for him." 

Not to mention that every single one of those people made a fuss that she wasn't wearing any jewellery on her left hand.

Was I supposed to wear a bracelet or something? I'm not used to gang gala etiquette. My bad.

But every time the questions got too invasive or if she was getting too lost, Yongguk would jump in and steer the conversation some other way.

 After chatting for a while longer, Yongguk noticed how Eun Ah's stride was slowing down and was gradually turning into a limp.

"Let's take a break, you've been memorizing too many names."  He led her to their table and watched her drop down in her chair with a soft grunt. 

"How you holding  up Hwang?"  He lifted his drink up to his lips as he watched her crack her neck.

"Better than I thought, the people here are a lot nicer than I expected."

"What were you expecting?" He raised his eyebrows.

"Mean, like you."

Yongguk stared at her in shock until he saw the  cheeky look in her eyes. She nudged him with her shoulder giggling, "Oh come on, you had to know that you weren't the most pleasant person when we first met."

Yongguk laughed dryly, "Sure, but did you know how hard you were to deal with? You wouldn't stop complaining for a second and you punched Himchan in the face, you got him bleeding."

Eun Ah downed her glass of champagne and kicked him lightly with her heeled foot, "You have to admit that I got him good." She jabbed her fist out in a fake punch, "Decked him right in the face."

Yongguk couldn't help but smile at the gleeful look in her eye. "That was impressive, but I could've dealt without the sneaking out. And to be honest, it worries me how happy you are about making an adult man bleed." 

Eun Ah made a creepy face at him and he pushed her forehead back with

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter