Chapter 20

Home
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Woon sat at his desk wearing a distressed expression, eyeing Jaehyun's table, waiting for the young detective to come back. He couldn't even remember why the kid had to leave even in the first place, but now all Woon cared about was when the boy was coming back so he could talk to him.

He remembered when Jaehyun had first joined the department. The two of them had worked in Organized Crimes together and they had a close sunbae-hoobae relationship, so when Woon was promoted to Chief of Violent Crimes, naturally, Jaehyun had transferred to follow him to the new department. Woon didn't know much about Jaehyun but he knew that the boy had the makings of a good cop.

Woon numbly scanned the case file in front of him as his mind flashed too the girl he had just seen. She had looked so familiar and once he heard her name, he could only think of one person, the only person that could make his demons come out of hiding.

Hwang Eun Ah.

He wasn't even sure it was her, he didn't know her surname so she could've been some other Eun Ah, but his mind wasn't buying it.

He was finally living his life normally and he was finally able to move on and forget the past but then she just appears out of nowhere.

At the station none the less.

He didn't know what to make of this, he was positive that she was dead, that Hwang Eun Ah didn't exist anymore, so why was he so sure that this girl was her?

He went against his better judgment and clicked on his laptop.

He typed her name in and frowned when the link to her name was purple, which meant that someone had looked her up and clicked her history before.

Using his account.

Only one person came to mind and it made Woon shift nervously in his seat.

Why was the leader of B.A.P looking into Hwang Eun Ah's criminal profile?

-----

Eun Ah pouted as Daehyun dropped her off at the house. She really wanted to see Jaehyun today, the last few days had been driving her insane and she just wanted to get her mind off of things.

I guess I'll have to do this another time.

Eun Ah walked to living room and saw Himchan sprawled out on the couch, holding a piece of paper in front of his face, his eyes scanning each line.

His face was still banged up, but she figured that he had taken a shower because the wounds didn't look as painful as they did before.

Himchan sighed as he took in the contents of the papers.

He had been secretly looking into the identities of his parents for the last few months and he desperately wanted some answers.  He had the option to tell Yongguk, but he wanted to handle this himself.

This was his past and his problem.

The thing is, he had no idea who they were. As far back as he could remember, he had always been a orphan.  

When he was 18 he had asked to see the files, but the orphanage said that they couldn't release that information without his parent's consent. He swiped the picture from  the office and just decided to be content with that.

After leaving the orphanage, he hadn't really taken it seriously. He figured that if he was meant to know the truth, it would've happened by now. So he settled with thinking of it as a part of his past that he didn't want to look into.

To him, there were certain things that should remain unknown.

But recently, he found himself getting upset that he had no idea who they were other than a blurry grey picture in his room.  He deserved answers, it was the least they could do for him after abandoning him  at birth.

Unfortunately, the more he looked into it, the harder it became to find out about them.  After numerous DNA tests and some, not exactly legal modes of information gathering, all he had learned the identity of his mother.

Kim Hae Yong.

What an odd name.

But the thing was, there was nothing about her background or where she was now.

No social security number.

No citizenship to anywhere.

No driver's licence.

No passport.

Not even a picture.

Nothing.

It was almost as if she didn't exist and his father wasn't any better.

It's not like she gave birth to me. Where is he?

Eun Ah looked at his tied hair and snorted at the ponytail, "Your hair looks pretty today."

He darted his eyes over to her before shoving the paper into his sweater pocket. He gave her a look of disgust and sat up, "Whatever, at least I know how to take care of myself. Just cause you're wearing a dress doesn't mean you're anything special to look at."

Eun Ah rolled her eyes, "Screw off."  She gave him a quick look before dropping into the seat across from him, "Are-are you feeling better?"

Himchan's smug smile fell into a thin line and looked away from her, "I'm fine."

"Why did he do that to you anyways?"

Himchan furrowed his brows because even if the reason seemed blatant,  he still wasn't so sure about the answer himself.

"Do us all a favour and try not to get yourself killed. Just because we promised to protect you doesn't mean that you shouldn't keep yourself safe either."

Eun Ah wasn't happy with the answer. Every time she asked him something, he would just answer back with something completely irrelevant.

"I'm trying my ing best okay? I'm still trying to deal with this whole marriage thing too."

"For Christ's sake, stop using that as a defence for everything. We get it. You're married but you don't want to be. Boo freaking hoo. Well guess what? Nothing's going to change that fact, so stop acting like a child and it up."

She sneered at him, "Well of course you'd say that, it's not like you're the one getting married."

"You're acting like he's making you sleep with him or that he wants your children. It's just an act, so stop being a little drama queen, it's so ing annoying for the rest of us."

She wanted to snap at his rude words but she couldn't find it in herself to do so. He was right, it wasn't as bad as she was making it out to be. Hell, it could've been a lot worse.

However, as much as she was growing closer to Yongguk, she couldn't help but still feel a tiny bit of bitterness that she was in this situation.

It was all for her protection and she needed to remember that.

Was it time to jus t accept it and move on? But it literally just happened.

She saw an empty envelop on the coffee table and read the return address.

Seoul DNA Analysis Lab Report.

She lifted it up and looked at his pocket where she saw him shove the paper to.

"Are you getting a paternity test? Is that why you're so pissy? Did you forget to use a rubber? I don't think the world is ready of another Himchan." She said with a snicker.

He glared at her and ripped the envelop out of her hands. "Mind your own business."

When he leaned over to her, Eun Ah got her hands to his sweater pocket and pulled out the paper before he got a chance to react.

She stuck her foot out and held it against his stomach and pushed him away as she uncrumpled the paper to read what was on it.

"YAH, WHAT THE HELL?! GIVE THAT BACK!" He clawed at her, trying to desperately get the results back.

DNA tests for his parents?

Eun Ah let her leg fall and her grip on the paper slacken.

He doesn't know who his parents are?

She looked up at him when he grabbed the paper from her with a growl.  He flinched when he saw warmth in her eyes.

"I'm sorry." She whispered as her hands dropped limply on her lap.

Himchan met eyes with her and softened a little bit. He felt himself get tired of picking on her at that moment. "Yeah, well..."

"Are you going to go meet her?"  She voiced carefully.

He leaned back and thought about his response. "I don't really know how to find her so I don't think I have anything planned yet."

Eun Ah nodded and watched him. She suddenly felt a bit bad for him. She always thought he was such an and enjoyed making his life hell, but now she was feeling guilty. She didn't know he was going through so much and that he had his own problems to deal with.

She was busy feeling bad for herself that she had forgotten that the rest of the world was still moving on with its own issues.

"I hope you find her."

Himchan gave her a small smile, "Why? Don't you hate me?"

Eun Ah frowned, "Hate is kind of a harsh word....more like strongly dislike.  And not to mention, I know what it's like, not having parents. I lost mine 9 years ago and it still hurts, but at least I still got a chance to know them, to have them be a part of my life. I hope you find what I had for those 16 years and keep it for the rest of your life."

She gave Himchan a smile before standing up and walking away.

Himchan blinked and looked in her direction.

"Damn."

Were the two of them...having a break through?

-----

Woon shot up from his seat when he saw Jaehyun walking in, casually tossing his keys in the air.

"Where were you?"

Jaehyun looked at him curiously, "I told you I was meeting up with my brother. Why? What's up?"

"Uhhh, one of your friends came in looking for you." Woon watched the boy's expression carefully.

Jaehyun felt a victorious smile wiggle up his lips, he didn't have that many friends that would visit him at the precinct, so he had an idea as to who it was. "Really? Did they leave a name?"

"Eun...Ah? I think? I'm not too sure. Do you know her?" He asked, trying to play dumb.

Jaehyun nodded cutely, "Yeah I do. Did she say what she wanted?"

"I think she just wanted to see you." Jaehyun nodded and sat at his desk, turning his laptop on,

"Hey Jaehyun-ah, would you say that Eun Ah is a common name?"

Jaehyun tilted his head, "No, I don't think so." He narrowed his eyes at his senior, "Why are you asking?"

"Just curious." Woon went back to his computer with a shurg and scanned Eun Ah's profile.

He wrote her address and place of employment down on a piece of paper and stood up from his desk.

"Where are you going hyung?"

Woon gave him a tense smile, "I have something I need to chec

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter