Chapter 27

Home
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Hey Yongguk, do you have to be anywhere right now?"

They were on their way from Jiyong's house after spending a few more hours there as everyone finalized their plans. They all seemed confident in the raid but Eun Ah was still a little nervous.

There was still a huge chance that they wouldn't get Ryu.

And there was still a huge chance that in 2 days, she'd still be in danger.

He glanced at her from the side of his eye and saw her looking out the window. 

He had things that he needed to get done today, especially since the date of their attack had moved up. There were calls that needed to be made, plans that needed to be coordinated and members that needed to be filled in.

But he went against his better judgement, for her.

"Where do you want to go?"

Eun Ah turned her head and scanned his handsome profile. She sent him a cheeky smile as the car drove into town.

"When was the last time you had bubble tea?"

-----

Himchan entered the house after calling someone to pick Woon up. He was still shaken up and had no clue what to do.

Woon killed someone?

He had never heard about this before and this information surprised the heck out of him. For all the time that he had known Woon, Himchan could sum up that he was a rational, logical, loyal and by-the-book kind of guy.

He was the type that wouldn't even hit someone unless it was life or death.

So what was all this killing business he was talking about? 

Even on the off chance that Woon was put in the position to kill, it would have to be a drastic measure so there was no way that he'd feel so much guilt.

Unless he didn't actually kill anyone.

Woon tended to romanticize things and his words weren't always literal.

Himchan rubbed his face and went to his room to turn on his laptop.

He really didn't want to deal with this, especially when he got a message from Yongguk about the new plans, but Woon had done so much for him in the past, that Himchan just wanted to return the favour.

In the span of two days it seemed like Woon had already hit rock bottom.

Jung Gyu Woon.

Himchan scanned the results and wasn't surprised to be assaulted with articles filled with praises about successful arrests all lead by former head detective and current chief of police, Jung Gyu Woon. There was nothing negative posted about the  man.

No corruption.

No police brutality.

No killing a suspect.

He was clean.

Himchan had to dig through pages of results until he found an obscure blog run by some police conspiracy enthusiast.  

There was no title for the link, just the tag #Woon and #Scandal. When he pressed the link, he was sent to a blank page, stating that the page no longer existed.

He tried it a few more times but would end up with the same results.

He went back and looked through his old posts when he noticed something weird.

This blog was run by a man whose life revolved around timely updates. He would post new stories at a certain time, ICYMI posts at a certain time and Q&A's at a certain time.

He had a schedule that he followed for 10 years.

However, the only time that he missed a post was the one about Woon that was taken down.

He didn't even replace the post with something else, there were posts on October 25th and October 27th but October 26th was empty.

There was no way that he just decided to skip a day after following a strict pattern for over 10 years.

He picked up his laptop and made his way to Yongjae's room and busted through his door.

"I need a favour."

Yongjae raised his eyebrow and Himchan pulled out a $20 bill in a huff and tossed it to him.

"What's up?"

Himchan handed him the notebook and opened the page up.

"I need you to find a deleted post that was uploaded October 25th."

Yongjae scanned the screen and frowned at the logo. "It's going to be tricky, these bloggers tend to have firewalls and encoded barriers to protect their work from hackers. It's going to be hard to retrieve something that they wanted gone."

This was the only lead that implied a smudge on Woon's perfect record. It was the only lead he had.

"Please, I need this, try your best to get it."

-----

Yongguk held the door open for Eun Ah to walk into the small tea shop with a skip in her step. He pulled his sunglasses up and hers were already pushed above her head. She jumped to the counter and wiggled in her spot.

"Can I get two honeydew milk bubble teas with extra tapioca please?"

Eun Ah's smile fell off her face when the girl that was supposed to be taking her order just stared past her.

"Hello? I'm ready to order."

Eun Ah frowned when the girl didn't respond and just looked over her shoulder. Eun Ah glanced over and saw that the girl's eyes were glued to Yongguk, who was scanning the menu above her head.

Was she checking out my husband?

Eun Ah squinted her eyes and felt hand twitch.  She slammed her palm on the counter, making both the waitress and Yongguk jump at the sound.

She shot the girl an overly sweet smile before spitting out her order again.

"Two honeydew milk bubble teas with extra tapioca."

The girl glanced between Eun Ah and Yongguk before tapping on the screen.

"Will that be all?"

Eun Ah shot her a smug grin before turning to Yongguk.

"Do you want anything else....yeobo?"

Yongguk just stared at her numbly with his jaw slackened and a skip of his heart.

She waved her hand in front of his wave with a cute smile, "Oppa? Did you hear me?"

Yongguk blinked stupidly at her change in behaviour, unable to understand her actions.

This was the girl that would rather be dunked in a pool than call him oppa but now she's calling him oppa and yeobo out of nowhere.

He shook his head at her and watched her face the female cashier.

Wait, female?

Yongguk looked up and noticed, for the first time, the cashier, that looked Yongmi's age, was eyeing him and Eun Ah.

Holy . She's jealous.

A small smirk lifted up his mouth when he saw her reach for her purse. He moved quicker and pulled his wallet out and handed some bills off to the cashier.

"I can pay for it." Eun Ah frowned when he picked his change up.

He gave her a look before glancing at the other girl. He wrapped his arm around her waist and pulled her to him. "You can get the next  one....jagiya."

Eun Ah jerked her head up and saw the smirk on his lips and mischievous glint in his eyes that flickered to the girl over the counter.

"Jealous are we?" He mumbled quietly in her ear as the server looked away in a huff.

Damn, you sly bastard.

Eun Ah snorted and flipped her hair, "Me? Jealous? Ha, yeah right. I just felt bad for the girl, going after a married man, she's just going to get her heartbroken. I was just doing her a favour by not letting her get her hopes up."

Yongguk laughed and held her hand as they walked out, an action that was becoming more natural between the two of them but still caught her by surprise.

"Don't worry Mrs. Bang, she'll be fine."

-----

Himchan leaned against his headboard 3 hours later when Yongjae had handed him his laptop with the deleted post presented on the screen.

I need to treat that kid to dinner. He's a freaking genius.

He pulled the page up and thoroughly read each line, making sure he didn't miss a word and he was glad that he didn't because what he read made his eyes widen.

Detective Woon of Organized Crime deals with the aftermath of a debauched gang related drug sting, risking the life of an undercover officer.

After failing to apprehend a major gang drug lord, Detective Woon is put under scrutiny for exposing the cover of the undercover officer involved while in the company of the said gang leader. Fortunately, said officer was unharmed but the hammer will fall heavily on Head Detective Woon.

With rumours of the said undercover officer helping an ex-member defect out of protocol, the public is questioning the Organized Crime unit which is now in a ruckus. 

Woon had undeniably put the lives at risk by putting an innocent officer and the defected member on the black list of a very dangerous gang leader. This isn't an easy to fix problem because once infamous Devlin Ryu makes a enemy, he won't sleep until they're gone.

The public is claiming that Woon's reckless behaviour and thirst to close cases is fogging up the SPD's number one goal: To serve and protect.

Undercover Ryu drug bust? Is that why he's so caught up in Bohye?

It made sense to some extent. Bohye was the freshest lead to taking down Ryu but did Woon really exposes a defectee and undercover officer just to try to get an arrest?

Ryu doesn't take to traitors well.

The Woon that Himchan knew would never be so frivolous with innocent lives. He was more responsible than that.

But what does any of this have to do with me and 'her'? How does any of this relate out him 'ruining' our lives?

Himchan heard the front door open and footsteps trek up the stairs so he skimmed the article quickly, trying to pick out any important facts.

His pupils ran from left to right until they landed on the name of the officer whose life Woon had put on the line by exposing their cover.

Officer Hwang Ah Min.

-----

Eun Ah walked down the stair and into the kitchen and froze when she saw Himchan drinking from her cup that she had left on the counter.

All she did was go to the bathroom, so she put her bubble tea down for one second and now this moron was drinking it?

Not cool.

"Is that mine?"

Himchan looked up at her with the straw to her bubble tea placed in between his lips.

"Yup."

"And you took it?"

"Yup"

"Instead of getting your own?"

"Yup"

"Can I have it ing back?"

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter