Chapter 22

Home
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Eun Ah's eyes shot open a few hours later and she sat up in the bed.

What time is it?

She looked at the wall and sighed in relief. She still had one hour to get to work on time.

"You're not leaving this bed. Not unless you want to die."

Eun Ah groaned  when she recalled Yongguk's orders.

She slipped out of the blanket and shivered when the cold air hit her body. She felt a lot better but her nose was still stuffy and her head was a bit heavy.

She really didn't want to miss work just because she was a little under the weather. It was the only time where she got to leave the house and actually go out other than getting groceries.

Determination filled her and she quickly changed into her uniform, grabbed her wallet and pulled one of Yongguk's windbreaker jackets over her frame.  Even if it was the middle of May, she felt a cold sweat all over and couldn't help feeling chilly and since she didn't have a jacket of her own, his was going to have to do.

She zipped it all the way up and crept toward the door. She carefully peeked her head and released the breath she was holding when she noticed the hallway was empty. She picked up her pace when she saw the light under Yongguk's study door.

She had to be quick before he left his room.

She tip toed down the stairs and went to the bowl near the door and stared at the bunch of keys, deciding which one to pick until she settled with a red keychain.

She was about to turn the knob on the front door when she realized that the front door was hooked up to their alarm system and even if it was disarmed at the moment, it would still make a sound if it was opened.

She turned and ran to the laundry room and used the garage door. Her eyes widened at the ridiculous amount of cars neatly lined up in the garage that was at least three times the size of her old apartment.

Who needs this many cars?

She switched on the spotlights and looked around.

Mercedes.

Ashton Martin.

BMW.

Escalade.

Porsche.

Maserati.

Bentley.

Rolls Royce.

Bugatti.

She didn't have to be a car enthusiast to know that the room could easily fund the rest of her life even if she sneezed in $100 bills.

She broke out of her stupor when she thought she heard voices in the house and frantically pressed the key, until she heard one of the black cars chirp in response and race to it.

A Porsche? Really? I was hoping for something a bit more inconspicuous.

It wasn't like she had many other options, so she quickly slipped into the car and turned the ignition on.

She got her driver's licence after working for a year even though she couldn't afford a car.

She knew what she was doing.

At least she hoped.

She backed out slowly, trying to get used to the smooth handling since she was only used to driving her instructor's crappy Honda Civic.

The garage door sensed the car and opened loudly to let her drive out.

She cringed and hoped that it wouldn't catch anyone's attention inside. She pulled out of the driveway and drove down the path that she'd seen Daehyun go down when he had to take her to work before.

She kicked the speed up a little higher in fear that B.A.P had already discovered her escape.

She had to cover her face every time someone stared at the car she was in. Apparently the subtle black colour didn't distract from the fancy hood ornament, signalling the expensive brand.

She finally found an obscure parking lot to hide the car and jogged towards the entrance. She reached for the door when she noticed the huge sparkling 14 carat ring on her finger.

Oh right.

She slid it off her finger for the first time since he put it on and slipped it into her jacket pocket. There was no actor good enough to convince Halmoni that in the span of two months, she had met a guy, fallen in love and married him.

All without telling her.

And she for sure wasn't about to tell her the truth. There was no way she was dragging Halmoni into it. It was too dangerous.

She headed straight to the back when she entered and hung her stuff up, including his jacket, in her cubby and tied the apron around her waist and began to take orders.

The first hour was easy for her, but the more time that passed, the more paranoid Eun Ah got. Every time the door chimed, she'd flinch, thinking it was a member of B.A.P here to take her back.

Or worse.

Yongguk.

Eun Ah shuddered at the thought and tried to take orders without being distracted. She pinned the order up for the kitchen staff only to be blocked off by Halmoni when she turned around.

"Why do you look like that?"

Eun Ah tilted her head and moved around her, carrying a bowl of steaming ramen.  "What're you trying to say? That I don't look amazingly beautiful like I normally do?"

Halmoni smacked her with a wooden spoon when she placed the bowl in front of the customer.

"No, you egotistical girl, I mean why do you look so sick?" She reached to feel her temperature but Eun Ah ducked, not wanting to be caught for coming into work sick.

"What are you talking about? I feel fine." She smiled and stood by the pickup window for the next order to come.

Halmoni shot her skeptical look before brightening. "I haven't seen you in so long by the way! How is everyone? How are Daehyun and Yongmi? Are they still together?"

"Wha-- O-oh! Y-yeah, they're um, they're still good." She had completely forgotten about her little lie.

Halmoni nodded with a content smile, "And Yongjae? He's such a smart boy. He has such a bright future, I can tell. Oh and Jongupie. That boy is such a puppy."

Eun Ah gave her a weird look, "Puppy? Since when?"

Halmoni grabbed her crossed arms and bounced on her feet, "Do you have more handsome friends to introduce me too?"

Eun Ah rolled eyes and lightly slapped Halmoni's arm, "You said that you missed ME! Why are you asking about other people?"

Halmoni pushed her away and pouted, "I never said I missed you, I just said that I hadn't seen you in a really long time. How are you and the detective? He tells me that you two are seeing each other more. Is it true?"

Eun Ah gave her a small smile. "Yeah we have. He's really nice."

Halmoni giggled and followed Eun Ah as she served the customers. "See! I knew you two would make a good match. He's such a good guy Eun Ah-yah, he's the type that I want to see you marry."

Eun Ah swallowed and gave her a tense smile, glancing at the light indentation on her left hand.

Too late for that.

"Welcome detective! We were just talking about you!"

Eun Ah turned and saw Jaehyun walk in with a cheeky smile as he greeted the two ladies.

"I hope only good things?"

Halmoni nudged Eun Ah and winked at Jaehyun, "Just about marriage."

Eun Ah gasped as her face heated up. "Halmonnniiiiiiiiiii sttttoooooppppppp." Jaehyun gave her a weird look, like he was uncomfortable, before smiling at Halmoni.

Oh God, he probably thinks I'm some sort of freak.

Eun Ah felt herself a little more at ease when she saw Jaehyun's smiling face.

Halmoni snickered and started to pull Jaehyun to a seat.

"Oh no, I can't stay for long, I'm meeting my brother in a few, I just wanted to drop by because my Chief said that you dropped by the station." He raised his eyebrow teasingly at Eun Ah, "Looking for me?"

Eun Ah smiled good naturedly, "Don't flatter yourself detective, I was just bored and needed someone to entertain me."

Jaehyun clutched his jacket dramatically and gasped, "You only like me because of the entertainment? I thought we had something really special!"

Halmoni squealed but backed off when Eun Ah gave her a warning glare.

"But really, was there a reason you wanted to see me yesterday?"

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter