Chapter 1

Home
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Halmoni, I'll be heading home now. Are you sure you don't need me to stay and help you with anything?" Hwang Eun Ah said as she put on her jacket and walked towards the cashier's desk where the owner of the ramen shop that she worked at was sitting.

"No it's fine, I'm almost done here and I hardly want to keep you any longer it's already midnight, are you sure you want to walk home? I can always call my grandson and he can drive you home." She said while taking off her glasses and setting them on the table and looked at Eun Ah with a concerned glint in her eyes. 

Eun Ah looked at the old woman sitting in front of her and felt her heart warm up. Eun Ah lost her parents at the young age of 16 and didn't have any relatives that lived near her. She finally was sent to a distant aunt that had moved to Seoul to take care of her.

When she had turned 18 she had decided to leave her aunt's house and start living on her own. It wasn't that her aunt treated her poorly, but it was because she could tell that her aunt didn't want to deal with paying for and taking care of another child that wasn't hers to start with. She would try to smile but Eun Ah saw the resentment in her eyes and the lack of warmth that her real mom used to provide her.

That's when she realized that she was not welcome in that household and that although she never vocalized it, her aunt had secretly expected her to move out when she was considered a legal adult.

That's when she met Halmoni, also known as Kwon Soo Jin. But to Eun Ah she would always be known as Halmoni. Eun Ah was living on the streets for about two weeks after she left her aunt's house. She was given a handful of bills that had counted up to about $100.

She had finally decided that a week without food and two weeks without shelter wasn't going to keep her alive for long. But no matter how many times she'd go into little stores, boutiques, cafes, grocery stores it seemed that no one needed any new employees. 

She had stepped into the small ramen shop hoping to order a small bowl of ramen in hopes of keeping her full for a few more nights as she tried to find a job. Surprisingly the shop was busy even in the middle of the night.

When she walked in she was wearing black pants and a long sleeved black shirt which happened to match with what the waiters were wearing. Halmoni shoved three bowls of ramen at her when she stepped up to order and told her to serve tables 10 and 11. Before she got a chance to clear up the misunderstanding, she was spun around and pushed towards the customers with a slap of a wooden spoon on her telling her to hurry up. Not finding any other choice she walked over and set the bowls down at the respective tables only to be given more orders and more bowls to serve and more glasses of water to refill. The night continued without a chance to breathe until all of the customers filtered out one by one. 

Finally getting a second to collect herself she sat down at one of the tables only to realize that her hunger had increased 10 fold. Before she had a chance to order anything, Halmoni set down a heaping bowl of steaming hot ramen in front of her and slapped down a spoon and a pair of chopsticks. While pouring her a glass of water Halmoni told her that it was the least she could do for ordering a customer around like an employee.

While inhaling the ramen, Eun Ah told Halmoni her story and within seconds she was handed an offic

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter