Chapter 7

The Neighbours

“Oppa, I’m hungry.”

“What? You’ve eaten like two bags of nachos; two hotdog buns and a whole bag of pop corn!”

“The flight was taking too long! And you know how much I hate the airline’s food.”

“I’m going to spend all my money on you!”

“You can ask from unnie for money.”

“Krystal, I haven’t really talked to her about my decision. What if she refuses to help me?”

“I’ll help you.”

“Dad won’t like it.”

“Oh come on, just go talk to unnie. I’m sure she will understand.”

“I hope so.”

“Now can I have some money for my food?”

“..........................................”

J-Hope gave his wallet to his sister. He just flew in from LA to visit his older sister who has been staying in Korea for the last 7 years. Her younger sister was a tag-along. His parents persuaded him to bring her along with her. So he didn’t have much choice.

“Oppa! I’ll use all the money, okay?”

“YA! KRYSTAL JUNG!”

Too late, the younger girl ran towards the nearby supermarket. J-Hope sat on the bench; waiting for her. J-Hope, his real name was Jung Ho Seok. He’s not blood related to the Jung sisters but he was grateful towards his adopted parents for raising him up. He wanted to be a singer. He has been a back-up dancer for some pop stars in LA. He wanted to make it big in Korea. And he got it. His parents approved his choice but he still has his older sister to be accounted for. Basically, he had to seek her permission. His sister was the boss of his life.

“Oppa, I bought you milk.”

“You took $50 from my wallet and bought a miserable box of milk?”

“I bought some food too. We can share.”

Krystal sat beside him and the two siblings started eating. J-Hope kept looking at his watch. He has his sister’s address but he wasn’t too sure if Jessica would be pleased with his career choice.

“Can you stop worrying? Unnie is not going to eat you up.”

“Your sister put me through school. And I’ve decided to be an entertainer as a reward.”

“You can do well and be famous. Earn lots of cash and then give her some.”

“I was already planning to do that. I promised Mom and Dad that I’ll look after you and her. And why the sudden decision to study in Korea?”

“You and unnie will be here. I’ll be bored to death. By the way, have you found your accommodation?”

“Not really, I’ll drop you off at noona’s place and I’ll stay at a motel.”

“You think she will allow you to do so?”

“Krystal, her best friends are staying with her. I cannot be possibly staying with them.”

“Just let unnie decide what to do. Let’s go! Let’s surprise her!”

“Where do you think she will be?”

“It’s a Tuesday afternoon; she’s probably in the office.”

Krystal grabbed her brother’s arm and dragged him along; J-Hope was helplessly struggling with their luggage. Krystal was really the second boss of his life.

-

“You’re done with your training?”

“Yeah, my trainer needs to spend time with his daughter. So that’s why I’m here.”

“Ah, so you have the whole day to yourself now?”

“Yeah, I wanted to watch a movie.”

“You watch alone?”

“Most of the time, I do.”

Jessica and Yoong were doing some window shopping at the nearby shopping mall. It was close to Jessica’s office. Jessica was keeping her distance; her heart was beating rapidly. Yoong might hear it. So the guy accompanied her and many heads turned to take a good look at Yoong. Jessica was jealous so she stood closer to him. Most of the ladies were disappointed.

“Wait, you watch movie alone?”

“Yeah.”

Yoong slurped his drink from his bottle.

“Don’t you have someone to go out with?”

“Someone? Like what? Girlfriend?”

“Yeah?”

Jessica’s heart was eager to know. But she maintained her calm composure. She waited belatedly.

“I’m not seeing anyone. Nobody wants me.”

ARE YOU ING KIDDING ME?!

Jessica’s heart screamed in her head.

“How come? You’re quite eligible.”

“Nah, who wants a professional boxer as a boyfriend? And I don’t want my girlfriend to worry about me all the time.”

Jessica’s eyes softened.

“You’re such a caring guy. You’ve already thought about this through.”

“My father was a professional boxer. My mother had to worry for him all the time. I saw how she suffered when Dad returned with bruises all over his face. I could remember how Mom would cry quietly when we watched his matches on television.”

Yoong’s eyes glistened. Jessica realized how soft-hearted Yoong could be.

“So you don’t want your girlfriend to go through this?”

“My future wife will suffer. I don’t want to see her cry for me.”

“But you chose this career. A good wife will support her husband no matter what.”

Yoong was in deep thought and then nodded his head. They walked in silence before Yoong threw a question.

“What will you do if you’re my wife? Will you support me?”

Jessica’s heart leaped so high that she thought she could faint.

WHAT DID HE HAVE TO ASK HER THAT?

AND HOW DOES HE EXPECT HER TO ANSWER THAT?

“Jessica-shi?”

“I guess, I will. I probably love him to death that I’ll do whatever he wants me to.”

Yoong was taken aback at first and Jessica was biting her lower lip. She made the answer sounded like a confession and she felt like slapping herself in the face. But what happened next was not something she expected.

“Thanks for that. You give me a little courage to find love. I hope that love could be someone like you.”

He then hugged her tightly.

-

Kwon Yul was sitting; facing Tiffany. He was totally lost about what his father wanted him to do. He just looked on as Tiffany and his father discussed about the business. Tiffany noticed the sullen look on Yul’s face. She suspected that Yul was reluctant to take over but he was forced to.

“Yul-shi, are you alright?”

“Huh?”

“You look lost.”

“Ah, it’s okay. I’m just bored.”

Older Kwon was laughing away. He shook his head as he patted on his only son’s hand.

“You should know why I chose you.”

“Appa, you have hyung.”

“Your hyung is not capable like you.”

“But I know nothing about business. Hyung is better.”

“Yul, you’re my flesh and blood. I married your mother because she was pregnant with your brother. And then we had you 5 years later. You should know I love you more than him.”

“But appa, hyung has been helping you with the business. When Mom passed away, you promised her that you would look after him.”

“I did, didn’t I?”

Yul stared at his father. Something was not right.

“Did something happen?”

Older Kwon shook his head.

“You don’t have to know anything. I’m just making you the CEO.  Your uncle will assist you.”

“Uncle Sang Woo?”

“Yes, he will assist you.”

“Hyung will hate this.”

“He knows why I did this.”

“Then how about Auntie and Seohyun?”

“I have set aside something for them. Yul, you’re kind hearted. I know you’re worried about your family. Don’t worry; I’ve set aside something for your brother too. You can carry on being a songwriter.”

Tiffany looked up. She was stunned to learn about that.

“Dad, will I be a good CEO?”

“Yul, you’re my son. I’m sure you will.”

Yul was frowning away. His father then turned to Tiffany and they continued their discussion. The meeting ended in half an hour and Older Kwon was satisfied with his will and letter of transfer ownership. Now his older son couldn’t do anything to Yul. He reminded Tiffany to look out for his son. He had a small talk with Tiffany when Yul went to the washroom.

“Miss Hwang?”

“Yes, Mr Kwon?”

“You live with my son?”

“Huh? No! We’re just neighbours!”

“Ah, my bad. I’m sorry. But can you do me a favour?”

“What is it, Mr Kwon? I’ll do my best to help if I can.”

“Kwon Yul is a quiet boy. He doesn’t really like crowds. He’s a guy who lives in his own world. He loves song writing and he has written a couple of songs.”

Tiffany nodded. This was something new to her.

“He hates the corporate world. You can see for yourself how down to earth he is.”

“Yes, Mr Kwon. I was surprised to learn that he’s your son.”

“I’m sure my oldest son would try to harm him. I’ll give this letter to my official attorney. Thank you for working with me to fool my oldest son.”

“Mr Kwon, I’m just doing my job.”

“If you don’t mind, can you look out for Yul?”

“Huh?”

“He needs someone to assist him. Be his friend and help him out if he has problems. I’ve put you as my executor for my will. And you know the last bit that I’ve added in?”

“Yes, Mr Kwon.”

“If he ever finds a girl and marries her, please ensure that she’s the nicest girl on earth and protects him.”

“I’ll try, Mr Kwon.”

“It’ll be good if she’s you.”

Tiffany was stunned.

-

“How is it?”

“This is really good!”

“Of course it is! I’m Choi Soo Young, you know?”

Soo Young cut small pieces of the meat and stuffed into Taeyeon’s mouth. The lady chewed and was surprised at how tender the steak was.

“Wow, you’re not lying about cooking!”

“Ya, what makes you think I’d lie to you?”

“I have this impression that you’re showing off.”

“Oh come on, food is my life. Anything associated with food is my forte.”

Taeyeon stood beside Soo Young as he stirred the sauce gently. She was really impressed with Soo Young. She was sponging on the vegetables as she waited patiently for Soo Young to finish cooking.

“So, are you working?”

“Who? Me?”

“Yes, there’s no one else here.”

“Yeah, I’m a producer.”

“Producer?”

“Music producer.”

“Oh? Seriously?”

“Yes, but I work from home.”

“So you write songs?”

“No, I arranged music scores. I’ll do the final touch.”

“Wow, awesome.”

“Yeah, how about you?”

“Me? I’m a vet.”

Soo Young turned to look at her.

“You’re an animal doctor?”

“Yeah, I have my own clinic.”

“That’s cool! So can I bring my babies to you?”

“Your babies?”

“I have 3 dogs at home.”

“Where?”

“Not here but with my parents. So if I bring them to you, will I get discounts?”

“Of course you will.”

Taeyeon smiled widely and Soo Young gave her a playful smirk. They enjoyed their day together; well Taeyeon didn’t have to do much stuff. Suddenly Soo Young sighed. Taeyeon looked at him.

“This is nice!”

“What is it?”

“Spending time at the kitchen cooking and chatting with you; I kept telling Yoong. You’re 100 times better than that witch.”

“Jessica’s nice when you know her better.”

Soo Young rolled his eyes.

“I don’t think she will let me come near to her from now onwards.”

Taeyeon chuckled. She agreed with that. She looked on as Soo Young eagerly gave his sauce a taste. He was so dorky but he oozed iness the most when he cooked. Taeyeon was gazing at him when Soo Young suddenly came closer. His face was too close to her and Taeyeon’s heart was thumping.

Then he used his index finger and wiped away a sauce just above Taeyeon’s lips.

“Now you’re looking prettier without the sauce.”

He winked and Taeyeon felt weird.

What the hell is this guy doing?

-

A guy was holding a paper in his hand. His mother scribbled something on it but it was indescribable. He couldn’t read at all.

“What the heck.”

He looked around; he couldn’t find the address in the paper. He decided to approach a lady who was sitting quietly reading her book at the cafe nearby.

“Hi?”

The lady looked up.

“I need some help. Can you read this for me?”

“You cannot read?”

“No, my mom’s handwriting is corrigible. I couldn’t make out what she was scribbling about.”

The lady was amused but nevertheless took the paper from him. She stared at it for awhile then looked at him.

“I think she’s writing an address, right?”

“Yes, but I don’t get it.”

“I think I have a rough idea. And the place you’re looking for is just across us.”

She pointed to the lavish apartments and the guy’s mouth dropped to the floor.

“Noona stays at this place?!”

“You’re looking for your sister?”

“Yeah, she moved out from our home and stayed in Seoul. She works here.”

“I see. I stay there too.”

“Oh, that’s nice to know. Anyway, thank you so much.”

The guy bit his lower lip. He forgot to ask for her name.

“I’m sorry. I’m so rude. But let me introduce myself.”

The lady looked up.

“I’m Kim Hyoyeon.”

The lady looked at the guy briefly before giving him an eye smile.

“Lee Sunny.”

That smile got Kim Hyoyeon paralyzed for awhile.

-

Yul was waiting for the lift. His father has gone back and he refused to follow him home. He was troubled with what his father had done. His hyung was going to find fault with him. Tiffany happened to be on her way out when she saw Yul.

“Yul-shi?”

Yul turned to find Tiffany. He smiled at her.

“Hi Tiffany-shi.”

“You’re going home?”

“Yeah, I think so. You?”

“I’m meeting my client.”

“Ah, you’re so busy.”

“It’s my job.”

“Well, it fits you. I heard about you. You’re an extraordinary lawyer. Everyone knows you.”

Tiffany chuckled and shook her head.

“I’m just doing my work.”

“You’re humble. That’s nice. No wonder my father adores you.”

“I see. Do you really think so?”

“Yeah, I have a step sister who’s taking law in the university. He kept telling her to take you as her role model. My sister’s besotted with you. She’s not in love with the idols on television but she idolized you as her role model.”

“That’s flattering to know.”

Yul then frowned. He turned to look at Tiffany. The damn lift was still taking too long.

“Say, I’m meeting her at the lobby. Do you have some time for me to introduce her to you? She will flip for sure.”

“Oh? Sure, I have some time to spare.”

“Great!”

The lift came. Yul was a gentleman so he ushered Tiffany in before himself. Tiffany was impressed with his mannerisms. Once the lift opened, Yul stepped out and once again held the door for Tiffany to come out.

“Thanks, Yul-shi.”

“It’s my pleasure.”

Suddenly...

“OPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPA!”

Yul felt someone jumped on his back. He knew who the person was.

“Ya, you’re already 22!”

“I don’t care. You used to carry me on your back!”

“Seohyun, I know you adore me but maybe you want to put yourself down now. You don’t want to embarrass yourself in front of your idol, right?”

Seohyun got down quickly and looked at her brother. Tiffany was already staring at them with a smile on her face.

“What are you talking about?”

Seohyun hasn’t realized it yet.

“Seohyun, meet your idol, Lawyer Tiffany Hwang.”

“OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”

Tiffany was tickled. She was truly flattered.

-

“Hi, we would like to meet Miss Jessica Jung.”

“You are?”

“We’re her siblings.”

“Oh, Miss Jung is out at the moment. You might want to wait for her.”

“Okay.”

J-Hope looked around his sister’s office. He was really impressed with his older sister’s profession. Well, he didn’t expect her to be psychiatrist. She has problems handling her own temper when she was lacking of sleep. But he shall not probe further. He might be killed if he dared to.

Krystal on the hand was already jumping on the sofa. She took out her phone and fiddling with the applications. The two siblings didn’t have to wait long.

“J-Hope? Krystal?!”

“UNNIEEE!”

“Noona!”

The younger siblings towered over the oldest sibling. She was oddly the shortest although she was the oldest.

“What are you two doing here?”

“We came to visit you!”

“Well, you could have called me!”

“Urm, we wanted to surprise you!”

“J-Hope, how the hell did you grow so much?!”

“I’m a guy, Noona.”

Jessica was really happy to see her siblings. She hasn’t seen them for the longest time and she was truly ecstatic to see them once again.

Well she was already happy before she went back to her office. The delicious handsome man made her day.

“Jessica- shi?”

Jessica turned and was surprised to find the man of her dreams at the front door of her office. Her siblings turned to look at him before back at her. Krystal was already grinning away and J-Hope his protective self.

“What are you doing here, Yoong-shi?”

“Oh, I bought coffee and some snacks. You might want to eat and probably share with them?”

He was gesturing to the two – one was staring at him while the other was eyeing his snacks. It didn’t take long. Krystal jumped on him and took the snacks away and J-Hope started interrogating Yoong.

“YA!”

“Who’s he, noona?”

“What? Are you being protective now?”

“I have to! Dad told me to!”

“I’m older than you!”

“I’m still the guy!”

“Oh my god, and Krystal Jung, where are your manners?!”

“I’m hungry!”

Yoong finally realized that these two strangers were Jessica’s siblings. He was amused.

“Why are you smiling like that?!”

“J-Hope, he’s my friend! Stop staring at him like that!”

Yoong was enjoying this.

-

“NOONA!”

“OOF!”

“Noona?”

“Noona! I miss you!”

“Get off me, Kim Hyoyeon!”

“Taeyeon-shi, do you know this guy? Do you need me to settle with him?”

“Uh, no. He’s my brother. Kim Hyoyeon, get off! You’re no longer a child!”

“Brother? He looks feminine.”

“YA! I just happened to look like my mother! And who are you? What are you doing with my sister? Will you take responsibility of my sister?!”

“What?!”

“What the hell are you talking about, Kim Hyoyeon?!”

The chaos ensued. And Soo Young was going crazy with this dumb dude with blonde hair; jumping on Taeyeon and accusing him of bedding his sister.

“I’m going to tell Mom you’re cohabiting with a guy!”

“I’M NOT! This is not my house!”

“YOU LIVE WITH HIM AT HIS PLACE?!”

“I’m having a headache.”

Well, the madness was really crazy.

-