Chapter 12

The Neighbours

“That’s a lot of food.”

Tiffany and Jessica were awed by the number of side dishes on their dining table. Krystal was already stealing some and she completely hooked on them.

“Wow, it’s delicious!”

“Krystal, we have to keep some. These dishes are going to save our lives if we go hungry.”

Taeyeon was already closing the Tupperware and pushing Krystal away. The girl grinned before stealing one bite and ran off behind her sister.

“Where did you get them?”

“Soo Young’s mother packed them for me.”

“SOO YOUNG?!”

The other three girls immediately screamed out in unison. Taeyeon knew she was in trouble. She just quietly packed the food and ignored them.

“What the hell. What were you doing with that long bean?”

Jessica was infuriated. Taeyeon sighed.

“Ya, he promised he will be nice to you. Can you do the same?”

Jessica was staring at Taeyeon like as though Taeyeon asked her to kill herself.

“What?”

“He kept calling you a witch. So I persuaded him to be nice to you.”

“Why would you do that?”

“You’re my best friend. I feel weird if he keeps talking bad about you.”

Jessica turned to Tiffany before turning back to Taeyeon. Tiffany was equally surprised too. Krystal was the only still remained nonchalant.

“Kim Taeyeon, what the hell is going on between you and Choi Soo Young? And why did his mother packed food for you?”

“I went to his house.”

“WHAT?!”

“He needed a pretentious girlfriend so that his father won’t marry him off to the girl he chose.”

Tiffany was amused while Jessica blinked her eyes a couple of times.

“So you agreed to pretend to be his girlfriend?”

Taeyeon nodded.

“Wow.”

“I managed to see TOP and Minho.”

“YOU WHAT?!”

Taeyeon grinned widely.

-

“Hyung, the dishes taste so good!”

J-Hope, Hyoyeon and Yoong were digging into the dishes immediately. Yul had already cooked some rice and roasted some beef. The boys were enjoying their food when Yul suddenly remembered about the girlfriend issue.

“You found a girl?”

“Huh? What?”

“You said TOP hyung asked you to bring a girl home. So you brought a girl home?”

“Yeah, I did.”

“You managed to find someone, hyung?”

Soo Young was staring at them. He looked at them carefully. He knew he needed to thread his answers carefully.

“Yes I did.”

“Seriously? Who did you ask?”

Yoong was asking as he took a bite of the meat.

“If I tell you, you must not jump into conclusions.”

“Why? Who is it?”

Yul was urging Soo Young to tell. Soo Young sighed.

“It’s Taeyeon-shi.”

“WHAT?!”

“MY SISTER WENT WITH YOU!?”

“I TOLD YOU NOT TO GO BALLISTIC!”

“Well, why wouldn’t I?! That’s my sister!”

“Hyoyeon, I didn’t do anything to your sister. I just merely asked her for help.”

“She agreed?!”

Soo Young nodded. Yoong was already shaking his head and Yul was appalled.

“Ya, you’re not using Taeyeon’s kindness right?”

“Of course not! I didn’t do anything to her! She agreed to pretend to be my girlfriend and that was it!”

“How did it go?”

Yoong was much calmer than the rest. Soo Young smiled.

“She’s nice. My mom likes her.”

“I’m referring to your father.”

Soo Young’s face changed.

“My dad had a talk with her. But Taeyeon stood her ground. She even spoke up for me. I think my father was a little surprised with that.”

Yoong and Yul looked at each other. Hyoyeon was smiling to himself.

“She did what?”

“She defended me. Before I left, my dad pulled me to the side and told me something which I’ve never thought I would hear from him.”

“What is it?”

Soo Young and Taeyeon were preparing to go home. Soo Young’s mother packed so much food for them that Taeyeon felt a little flabbergasted.

“Auntie, it’s more than enough. I only have three friends at home.”

“But you’re so thin. Soo Young’s like skeleton. You’re pretty but looking so thin will not be good on you.”

“Omma, I’ll take good care of her.”

“You ought to! You’re the man!”

Soo Young and Taeyeon blushed immediately but nevertheless the petite lady thanked Mrs Choi profusely. Soo Young placed the stacks of food in the back of Taeyeon’s car. Mr Choi was standing at the doorway; looking on. Taeyeon turned slightly to find the old man looking at her.

She bit her lower lip as she watched Soo Young completely ignored his father’s presence. Taeyeon then nudged him in the arm and gestured to his father. Soo Young looked at her.

“I know you have issues with your father but he’s standing there watching us. No matter what, we have to respect him as your father.”

“You’re not my true girlfriend. It would be weird, isn’t it?”

“We’ve gone to this length. Let’s just do this properly.”

“Fine then.”

Soo Young put his bag aside and Taeyeon was making her way up to the old man. Mr Choi was surprised to find them standing in front of him.

“Thanks for the food and hospitality. I had a great time.”

Taeyeon said some parting words; the man was stunned at first but then nodded solemnly.

“Thank you for coming.

“Have a good health, Uncle Choi.”

The old man nodded again. Taeyeon then glanced over her shoulder; Soo Young was still standing there.

“Come over here.”

She pulled him by the arm and dragged him to face his father. Soo Young stared at her briefly before turning to face his father. Taeyeon took a step back and both father and son were still staring at each other. Taeyeon kicked Soo Young’s .

“Ow.”

“Say something.”

“Fine.”

Soo Young turned to look at his father.

“I’m sorry, Father.”

His father kept his silence.

“I know I shouldn’t hurt you the way I did and I’m truly sorry.”

“It’s okay, son. I hurt you too. And I’m sorry as well.”

Soo Young didn’t expect his father to apologize. Mrs Choi was already tearing up and stood next to Taeyeon. Taeyeon hugged her.

“Appa, I know I’ve let you down but trust me, I’ll do well in whatever I do.”

“I know you will.”

Soo Young got closer to his father and hugged him. His father then smiled widely before returned his son’s hug with a tight embrace. Then he whispered softly in his ears.

“Taeyeon’s a good girl, Soo Young. Treat her well. I want her to be my daughter in law.”

-

“WHAT?!”

“Yes, my father’s fond of her. He’s seriously fond of her.”

“Then you’re dead meat.”

“Why did you say so, Yul?”

“Well, do you actually like Taeyeon that way?”

Soo Young was taken aback with Yul’s question. Hyoyeon was looking at him as well. They were talking about his sister.

“Hyoyeon, don’t get me wrong. I like your sister.”

“I didn’t say anything.”

“You’re staring at me. You look like you could devour me anytime.”

“If you say the wrong stuff, I will.”

“Look, it’s too early for me to say anything. I have yet to know her better. You have to give me a chance to know her, right?”

“Well, your parents like her. So the next step is for you to like her and for her to like you back.”

Yoong agreed with Yul’s words.

“Hyung, my sister’s a nice girl.”

“I know that.”

“So if you don’t love her, please don’t hurt her.”

“Hyoyeon, I don’t think I’ll ever hurt her. But I cannot promise that we would be together. I mean we need to click well!”

“You’re already clicking well. You technically brought her back to see your parents.”

Yoong spoke his piece.

“So what are you trying to say now?”

“Draw a line if you don’t see her as a romantic link. Don’t make her fall for you and then you hurt her by telling her she’s not the one.”

Yoong’s words kept ringing in Soo Young’s head.

-

“Are you in love with Soo Young?”

“No, I’m not.”

“Then why are you doing things with him? You even went to see his parents, for god sake!”

“Jessica, don’t make it sound like it’s a bad thing. I’m just helping him out!”

“Are you kidding me?!”

“Okay, wait. Why are you so angry?”

“I’m not angry, Taeyeon. I just wanted to know if you’re falling in love with that long bean.”

“Jessica, your language please.”

“Urgh!”

“Taeyeon, Jessica’s right. We’re just worried that he might be using you.”

“Why would he do that?”

The two ladies were staring at each other.

“We’re just friends who help each other. There’s no romantic feeling involves.”

“Are you sure about this?”

Taeyeon nodded.

“Yes, I’m pretty sure about this.”

-

The next morning, Jessica got up earlier. Krystal was already up and about. She had to register for her university so she woke up earlier.

“You need me to send you to school?”

“No way, I’m a big kid.”

“Yes big kid, just be careful okay?”

“Yes unnie.”

Krystal left and Jessica washed up before getting ready for work. She was at her door when she saw Yoong at her front door. He was wearing a polo tee with jeans. Indeed, he looked so good in whatever he wore.

“Going work?”

“Yeah, you’re going for your training?”

“Nah, I’m off today.”

“Then why are you awake so early in the morning?”

“I have something to discuss with you.”

“Oh?”

Jessica was staring at Yoong.

“It’s about Yul and Tiffany. I’m sure something’s going on between them. I want to help them get together. I wonder if you’re thinking along the same lines too.”

Jessica’s smile was from ear to ear. Indeed, Yoong had the same wavelength as her.

“I would love to.”

“So shall we work together and discuss about it?”

“Sure!”

“Do you need to get in early? Or can we have some breakfast first?”

Jessica locked her gates and took her bag. She smiled widely. She was given a chance to spend more time with Yoong. Why would she give up on that?

“Let’s go then.”

“Awesome, I’ll bring you to a nice place to eat.”

“Can you drive, Yoong?”

“Yes, I can. Why?”

“You drive my car.”

“O.O”

“I’m serious. Stop giving me those eyes. You look so...”

Jessica couldn’t finish her words but she didn’t have to. Yoong was as thick skinned as an elephant.

“Because I look so cute?”

“Shut up and move on.”

Yoong gave his cheekiest grin and Jessica had another just then.

-

Tiffany was late for work. She was going through her client’s files last night till late night. She was cursing and swearing. Nobody was in the house. Everybody has gone for work.

“, ! I’m late!”

She rushed everything and grabbed whatever was within her reach. She took her car keys and wore her high heels. She jumped as she tried to balance with one shoe as she tried to wear her wrist watch and unlocking her gates.

She managed to do everything and took the lift down. She got into her car and tried to ignite the battery. The damn car stalled on her.

“GODDAMMIT!”

She tried again but the car just refused to start. She was supposed to be in the court house within an hour ago. Suho was already calling her and she refused to answer. She got out from her car and grabbed her stuff. She ran towards the outside of the gate and tried to get a cab.

It was the ing peak hours and no taxis were in sight.

“Oh my god, don’t do this to me!”

Suddenly a car stopped right in front of her and Tiffany was puzzled. The window winded down and a head popped out.

“Tiffany?”

“Yul?”

“You heading somewhere?”

“Yeah, I’m late for my court case.”

“Hop on, I’ll drive you there.”

“Is it convenient?”

“I’m just on my way to the studio. No worries, I don’t have a boss to answer to. Get in.”

The moment Tiffany got in, Yul drove off instantly. Tiffany took out her files and tried to do some last minute reading. She looked dishevelled and anxious.

“Hey, your hair is kinda messy.”

“Huh?”

“There’s a mirror in the compartment. Maybe you want to tidy yourself for a bit. I think a lawyer should look presentable.”

“Thanks, Yul!”

So Tiffany took out her makeup kit and pulled down the compartment. She was stunned by her own appearance and stuck her tongue out.

“Oh my god, I look like .”

Yul grinned.

“Don’t worry; you just need a little bit of that to do some magic.”

“Thanks for helping me out, Yul.”

“We’re friends.  This is nothing. Are you really late?”

“No, but I had to be in court in half an hour’s time.”

“Ok, hang on. I’ll speed up. I’ll try to avoid the busy roads.”

Yul drove off and Tiffany continued do something about her appearance. They talked a little bit and Yul found himself being a little bit more comfortable with Tiffany. He was glowing with confidence and was able to talk to Tiffany face to face.

It was a big achievement and only Tiffany could help him with that. They finally reach the courthouse and Yul helped Tiffany with her document bag. She was running in and Yul followed from behind.

“Hey, you shouldn’t be running with me.”

“No worries, you need more hands to help you with the bag. Don’t worry, I have all the time in the world.”

“Thanks again, Yul. You’ve been a great help!”

Yul smiled before pushing Tiffany gently forward. They were running like a mad couple before Tiffany spotted Suho looking a little bit more anxious and panicking.

“NOONA!”

“Hey, here take this!”

“You’re supposed to be here an hour ago!”

“The car stalled on me. But I’m here already! The notes are inside.”

“Okay! I’ll get us prepared.”

“Sure, you go in first. I would like to say some words to him.”

Suho finally realized there was someone else standing behind his step sister. He looked up and saw the same guy who came to visit her yesterday. Suho gave a small grin but quickly left them alone. He ran inside to get prepared.

“Yul, thank you so much once again.”

“Hey, it’s nothing. Don’t be so wishy washy.”

“No, seriously. I don’t know how to thank you.”

“You can buy me lunch.”

“Ah, that’s a good idea! How about today?”

“Hmm? Yeah, sure.”

“But how do I contact you?”

Yul gave a thought and then stretched out his hand. Tiffany was staring at him.

“What?”

“Give me your phone. I’ll save my number in.”

“Oh! That’s right!”

Tiffany took her phone from her bag and gave it to Yul. He keyed in his number and gave it back to her. He smiled widely.

“You can call me after you’re done. Oh, and good luck with your court case! Fighting!”

“Thanks! I’ll call you later.”

“Sure, get along now. I’ll be leaving now too.”

“Okay!”

They shook hands again and Yul took his leave. Tiffany was watching him as he soon disappeared from sight. There was a huge smile on Tiffany’s face. She felt warmth.

“He’s such a nice guy.”

She thought to herself.

-

“TADAH!”

Taeyeon jumped in her seat and her stethoscope flew out of her hands. Someone just jumped on her and it scared her to death.

“What the hell!”

“I’m sorry, did I scare you?”

“What do you think?!”

“Aw, I’m sorry. I bought you lunch.”

Taeyeon was surprised to find Soo Young at her clinic. She didn’t remember telling him her clinic’s location.

“How did you get here?”

“I used street directory.”

“How do you even know my clinic’s name?”

“You know, there aren’t many veterinarians in this city. I just typed your name randomly and they led me to this.”

“Oh, I see. Are you in need of a vet now?”

Soo Young was confused at first but then he got the joke. He sat on the operating table.

“Well, I was bored. So I decided to buy Dr Kim lunch to say thank you for helping me out. Will that be a need for a doctor?”

“You could have called me.”

“I don’t have your number?”

Taeyeon felt stupid with that suggestion.

“Oh, that’s right.”

“Are you having your lunch break?”

“Is it lunch time yet?”

“Duh, your assistant has already closed the clinic. It’s almost 12.30 now.”

“Oh, then it’s lunch time.”

“Good grief, that’s the reason why you’re so skinny. Eat something.”

Taeyeon looked on as Soo Young fussed over her. Her heart felt something but she couldn’t figure out just as yet. This guy was full of wonders and it made Taeyeon felt scared that he was doing so much.

“What?”

Soo Young looked at her.

“Huh? Nothing.”

“Okay, let’s eat?”

“Sure.”

Soo Young passed Taeyeon her food and chopsticks. Taeyeon’s heart skipped a beat yet again.

-

Krystal was getting used with her new school. Her campus was quite near to Jessica’s house which was already a huge plus point for the lazy girl. She dragged her feet as she made her way to her lectures and tutorials. But she has yet to make a friend with anyone.

There were a few guys who had a small talk with her but Krystal wasn’t interested in guys at all. She was actually watching the ladies but none caught her eyes. Well, not for long; someone bumped into her. Krystal fell immediately.

“Ow.”

“Oh my god! I’m so sorry!”

The culprit was kneeling down; facing Krystal. Krystal was ready to shoot bullets when she saw the smile – that angel’s smile.

“Hey, are you alright?”

Krystal just kept silence.

“Are you hurt?”

“Err, I don’t think so.”

“Here, can you get up? Let me help you.”

The girl helped Krystal up before someone came running towards them.

“Seohyun! What did you do!?”

“Thanks to you! I bumped into someone and she fell!”

“It wasn’t my fault. You ran away with my phone!”

“Whatever. Here, come and help me.”

“What do you want me to do?”

“Amber, can you just hold her bag or something? Are you stupid or what?”

“Stop calling me stupid!”

Krystal just looked on as the two strangers bickered in front of her. One of the girls caught her eye – Seohyun.

-

Hyoyeon was walking back to Yoong’s apartment when he saw a familiar girl standing outside of the gate. He knew that girl – it was the same girl who helped him find Taeyeon’s address. She was not alone though. Someone was with her.

“Ya, how heavy can your bag get?!”

“Shut up and just put it here.”

“You’re going to drag it all the way up?”

“I rather do that than to hear your grumbling.”

“It’s really heavy!”

“Where’s Jinki? Why didn’t he pick me up instead?”

“He has school. Are you sure you just want me to put it here?”

“Yes!”

“Okay, I’m going now!”

Hyoyeon looked on as the guy got back into his car and drove off. The girl was glaring at the car before it disappeared from sight.

“Stupid Soon Kyu!”

The girl mumbled under her breath. Hyoyeon was smiling; he didn’t realize how cute she could get. He approached her cautiously. The girl saw him.

“Hi?”

“Hi, you were that guy who asked for the address, right?”

“Yeah, you remember me?”

“I don’t recall your name. I’m sorry.”

“It’s okay. I’m Hyoyeon. You’re Sunny, right?”

“Yes I am. You found your sister?”

“Yes I did. She stays here.”

“Okay.”

Sunny was struggling with her luggage. Hyoyeon looked on before offering to help.

“You need help with that?”

“No, it’s okay. I can do it.”

“It seems heavy. Don’t worry; this is supposed to be the man’s job.”

“Thank god! You’re so much better than my stupid twin brother!”

Hyoyeon was confused.

“You mean the guy earlier on?”

“Yeah, that’s my twin brother, Soon Kyu.”

“Ah, I thought he’s your boyfriend.”

“We look the same.”

“I didn’t see his face. But anyway I’ll help you.”

“Thanks Hyoyeon.”

That was the beginning of a new friendship between Hyoyeon and Sunny.

-