Chapter 11

The Neighbours

Taeyeon was sitting in the living room; Soo Young was helping his mother and his brothers, TOP and Minho were with them. Taeyeon noticed that the boys preferred to be around their mother more often than their father. TOP’s girlfriend, Sandara was in the washroom. The lady was friendly and Taeyeon warmed up with her almost immediately. But now she was left alone in the hall with the Older Choi whose eyes glued to the television.

Taeyeon has never felt so awkward or intimidated before. Her heart was beating so rapidly that she hoped Soo Young would finally realize that he has left her; unattended. But the Older Choi had other motives. He turned off the television and turned to look at Taeyeon. The lady froze in her seat.

“What’s your name again, young lady?”

“It’s Kim Taeyeon, Sir.”

“What are you working as?”

“I’m a veterinarian, Sir.”

“Veterinarian? An animal doctor?”

“Yes, Sir.”

“That’s a unique job. You love animals?”

“It has been all my life, Sir.”

“You can call me Uncle Choi. Sir makes me sound like I’m a general or something.”

Taeyeon wanted to rebut to say that he was almost one in her heart but she kept quiet. She looked into the kitchen. She cursed and swore – Soo Young would die tonight. He didn’t protect her.

“What did you see in my son?”

Taeyeon was taken aback with the question. It sounded like as though he wanted to know if Taeyeon’s worth Soo Young’s love. Well, they weren’t together but Taeyeon felt a little offended.

“Soo Young’s a nice guy. He has more than what it takes to be a good man.”

“He does? He’s the laziest son in my family. He’s just wasting his surname as Choi.”

Taeyeon was frowning away. She didn’t like the way the Older Choi put his son down.

“He has your blood flow in his veins. He has your surname because you gave him the birth of life. You brought him to life.”

The old man was taken aback. He was surprised at Taeyeon’s rebuttal. None of Soo Young’s girlfriends dared to say things like that.

“With all respect, Sir; Soo Young has more than what I needed from my man. He cooks well; he takes good care of me; he’s funny and has his own sense of humour; he keeps you smiling; he has a heart of gold and he’s generous with everything he has in life. Just because he doesn’t turn out to be what you wanted him to be; but Soo Young loves his job. He has passion for what he believes in.”

“You feel that his choice of career is right for him?”

“At least he does his best. He knows this is what he chose to be.”

“Can he bring money to the table for his future family; maybe with you?”

“I’m working as well. Both of us are. So I’m sure we can survive as a family together. I’m not trying to be disrespectful but I believe you should know him better than I am. You should know what Soo Young’s capable of. Because you were the one who brought him to life and raised him up. He’s your son – part of the Chois.”

“Are you pissed with me, Miss Kim?”

“I’m not, Sir. I just feel that Soo Young deserves praises and I’m pretty sure that he’s not wasting his life away like how you presumed that he is!”

Soo Young quickly ran out of the kitchen. He heard Taeyeon’s raised voice and he knew something was not right when he saw his father staring at Taeyeon.

“.”

He stood in front of Taeyeon; blocking her away from his father. He menacingly glared at the old man and then turned to look at Taeyeon. Taeyeon was on the verge of tears and he wondered what his father has said to her.

“What did you say to her?!”

“It’s none of your business.”

“If you’re unhappy, take it out on me. She’s not part of this family. She doesn’t deserve to be degraded by you!”

“What would you think I would hurt her?”

“You hate me. You hate everything of me.”

“So you’re going to protect the woman you love?”

Taeyeon looked up; Soo Young was looking elsewhere. They were just pretending to be together but Soo Young did otherwise. He took her hand and squeezed it tightly. He then pulled her closer to his chest and wrapped his arm around her protectively.

“She’s my girl. I’ll protect her with all of my life. I won’t let you hurt her.”

Soo Young then turned away; pulling Taeyeon gently behind him. Taeyeon was touched with Soo Young’s words. They might not be a real couple but her heart swelled to witness the lengths Soo Young would take to protect the woman he loves.

“Soo Young, where are you going?”

His mother called out to him.

“I’m going up to my room for awhile. Taeyeon needs rest.”

“Okay, I’ll call you later when the desert is ready.”

“Alright, Omma.”

The older Choi was still watching the couple going up the stairs. Taeyeon caught his eyes and she was surprised when she saw his smile.

It was not a smirk; it was a genuine smile – it looked as though the old man approved of her or something.

-

Soo Young sat her down on his bed. His room was neat and clean. Taeyeon was surprised to see certificates and trophies neatly on his shelf and over the walls. Soo Young grabbed a blanket from his cupboard and put it over Taeyeon. He knelt down in front of her.

“Are you alright?”

“I’m okay, Soo Young.”

“My father can be an idiot sometimes. Please don’t get affected with his words.”

“I’m fine. He didn’t say anything much.”

“But I heard you raised your voice at him. He can be a sarcastic old fool.”

Taeyeon looked down at him; his eyes were full of concerned. Taeyeon couldn’t understand her heart – the murmurings of her heart were telling her something.

“I don’t have any idea why I raised my voice at him. He was putting you down; he was looking down on you and I didn’t like it at all. I felt that as a father, he should know you better than anyone else.”

Soo Young was taken aback. Nobody really cared about him unlike Taeyeon did. Not even his girlfriends would take his side. In fact, they would yell at him for causing such awkwardness between his father and them. But not Kim Taeyeon; she stood by his side.

“Soo Young, are you alright?”

“Taeyeon, did you speak up for me? You went against my father?”

“Yes I did. I know it’s wrong of me but I cannot stand people looking down on others. I mean we all have our own choices and we’re happy that’s all matters.”

Taeyeon then gave Soo Young a sincere smile which caused Soo Young’s heartstrings to stir. He has never felt like this towards anyone before.

“Soo Young, why are you staring at me like that?”

“Huh?”

“Are you alright?”

“I’m sorry, I was just taken aback.”

“Why?”

“Nobody has spoken up for me before. You’re the first one.”

Taeyeon grinned.

“You owe me then.”

Soo Young smiled.

“Of course, but I still wish to apologize about my father. I’m sorry.”

“It’s okay. I’m not offended.”

The two were staring at each other; silence was filling up the air but it was almost deafening. Taeyeon’s heart was beating rapidly and Soo Young felt weird too. When they realized it was getting uncomfortable, Taeyeon looked away. She took a quick glance around the room.

“So this is your room?”

“Er, yeah.”

Soo Young stood up; pulling out his chair and sat across Taeyeon. She was comfortable on the bed.

“You have a lot of trophies.”

“Those were from my schooling days. I took part a lot in debates and quizzes.”

“So you’re a smart boy?”

“I’m the smartest Choi.”

“So, this is the reason why your father hates your job?”

“Yeah, he thought I would work for him and take over his company. But I’ve no interest putting my foot in the corporate world.”

“You chose a more laidback job?”

“No, I love music. I just wanted to pursue something I like. So I went to London and took up a course in music. My father thought I was studying business law but I returned with a different certificate. He was so angry at me. He threw me out of the house and cut me out.”

Taeyeon was surprised.

“I guess I went overboard for lying to him for 3 years but I didn’t have the chance to tell him. He always shut me off when I told him I needed to talk to him about something. He always thought I wanted to complain about my school work so he told me he would teach me the ropes so I didn’t have to bother so much.”

“Your two brothers are not interested either?”

“Seunghyun hyung is the least interested. He hates the corporate world so much. He has always been a model since he was a child. My dad didn’t really put much hope on him since he didn’t do well in school. But he has the looks so when he told my father that he wanted to be a model, my father washed hands off him. Minho is the rebellious one. He just went against my father and could ignore my father for the rest of his life. Minho lives with my grandmother. We’re just not close with our father. He’s too rigid in everything.”

“I see. So you’re in fact your father’s favourite son.”

“Yes, and I let him down.”

“Ah, now I understand why your father is strict with you.”

Soo Young nodded. Taeyeon was intrigued with the Chois’ family dynamics. She just felt that both father and son had just too much ego in between.

“Can I ask you something, Soo Young?”

“Sure.”

“You love your father, don’t you?”

Soo Young looked away. Nobody has ever asked him such question before.

“Maybe I do.”

“I guess your father loves you too.”

“I’m not sure about that.”

“Soo Young, I’m sure he is. The questions he asked me were much for you. It just occurred to me that he’s concerned about you.”

Soo Young was surprised at Taeyeon’s revelation.

-

“TIFFANY HWANG MIYOUNG!”

Tiffany grudgingly looked up to find the culprit who was screaming out her full name. She saw Jessica standing at the doorway of her office; grinning at her.

“What’s with that and why do you look like an idiot grinning at me?”

“You have something to tell me.”

“What is it?”

“Where did you go for lunch?”

“I was outside.”

“Really? You have a lunch date now?!”

“He’s my client.”

“Oh, it’s not a lunch dating kind of date?”

“What the hell are you talking about? Are you drunk in the middle of the day?”

“I saw you with Kwon Yul.”

“Yeah, I’m with him.”

Tiffany didn’t blush. She continued reading her documents. Jessica was frowning away.

“YA.”

“What?”

“I need explanation.”

“What kind of explanation?”

“Kwon Yul’s your client?”

“His father is my client so technically he is now.”

“Why did you go out lunch with him?”

“He needed something.”

“What is it?”

“Why are you asking me so many questions?”

“It’s not fun when I realized it was nothing romantic between you and him.”

Tiffany scoffed at the remark. She threw her pen at Jessica who managed to grab it with her bare hands. She stuck her tongue out at Tiffany.

“Why would I have a romantic link with my client?”

“You never had lunch.”

“Well, he wanted to treat me and he needed my help.”

Jessica was sitting on the sofa; with her legs crossed. She was flipping the pages of the finance magazine in front of her. It gave her headache. She put it back.

“What kind of help?”

“You don’t have to know. And you saw us. Why didn’t you greet us?”

“I was busy with Yoong.”

Tiffany looked up and Jessica realized she had said the wrong thing. She quickly got up.

“Okay, I’m leaving!”

“Oh no, you don’t! Come back here!”

“I have an appointment!”

“It’s 8pm now. You don’t have appointments after 6pm.”

Tiffany managed to grab hold of Jessica’s arm and pulled her back to the sofa. She pushed the lady down and sat on her.

“YA! People will get the wrong idea!”

“I don’t care. They know about us.”

“What?”

“They have always thought we’re dating so let it be.”

Tiffany leaned closer towards Jessica and stared into her eyes. The other lady was fidgeting about.

“What were you doing with Yoong?”

“We stumbled upon each other.”

“Why are you so lucky; bumping into him outside?”

“How would I know? He happened to linger around the shopping mall nearby.”

“And you always had a lot of fun time with him, don’t you?”

“Well, almost. He was spying on you and Yul.”

“What?”

“He saw you two first. But we ended up having fun during lunch. We lost sight of you and realized both of you have left.”

Tiffany smiled before moving her away. She sat beside Jessica instead. She poured herself a glass of water.

“So how is he?”

“He’s funny and humorous.”

“Those words mean the same thing. You’re totally smitten with this guy!”

“Whatever. But he’s really gorgeous! He even asked me if I’m seeing anyone.”

“He did?!”

“Yes! Tiffany, do you think he’s interested in me too?”

“How would I know?”

“From your experience!”

“I’ve only dated one guy.”

Jessica rolled her eyes.

“That’s right. Urgh, will you ever get over him?”

Tiffany stood up and walked over to front of her office. There was a glass screen and she could see the room across her.

“I’m not sure, Jessica. He knows I still love him.”

“Then why are you doing this?”

“I don’t know.”

“Okay, whatever it is, you’re better than me. You’re more level-headed when it comes to complicated stuff. So I’m sure you can work this out.”

Tiffany sighed.

“I hope so.”

-

Yul was proofing his lyrics when Yoong returned home. He immediately jumped on Yul. The guy was stunned before pushing the younger guy away.

“What the hell?”

“What are you doing?”

“I’m proofing my lyrics. What are you? 7 years old?”

“Hyung, where did you go today?”

“I went to my studio.”

“No, I meant during lunch.”

“I was outside having lunch. You conveniently bailed out on me.”

“I told you I was busy! Hyoyeon and J-Hope can be my alibi!”

“The boys told me already. But they went off to watch movie. You were alone!”

“Well, you’re not lonely after all.”

“What?”

“I saw you with Tiffany-shi.”

Yul’s face turned red. He looked away; concentrated on his lyrics.

“Hyung, you were with her, right?”

“You saw us?”

“Yeah, I was with Jessica.”

Yul jerked his head to the side. Yoong was taking off his t-shirt. That boy has the nicest body and Yul hates him for it.

“You were with Jessica-shi?”

“Yeah, I bumped into her at the mall. She saw you with Tiffany too. She’s going to question Tiffany about your relationship with her.”

“Tiffany’s my father’s lawyer!”

“So why do you need to see her for?”

Yul couldn’t tell Yoong the truth. He bit his tongue.

“Hyung, you don’t have to be shy about this. Is she the girl you’re referring to?”

“HUH?”

Yoong grinned before walking away.

“You made the right choice, Hyung. Tiffany-shi’s pretty and smart. You have good taste.”

“Huh? Wait, no! It’s not that! YA!”

Yoong just gave a quick wave and left Yul’s room.

“It’s not Tiffany, Yoong. It’s Jessica-shi.”

Yul mumbled to himself.

-

Soo Young managed to send Taeyeon home safely. His mother packed plenty of food for him and Taeyeon to bring home. Soo Young was embarrassed at how ahjumma his mother could be.

“I’m sorry, Taeyeon. My mother’s like that.”

“It’s okay. At least we can have dinner at home or something with these many side dishes.”

“Oh, that’s right. You and the girls hardly eat at home, right?”

“We work the whole day. We won’t have the time to cook.”

“That’s why you and Tiffany including that witch are thin as chopsticks.”

“Ya, can you stop calling Jessica a witch?”

“I cannot help it. She has that aura in her.”

“You’re being mean to her again.”

Soo Young turned to look at Taeyeon who was actually pouting her lips together. She looked incredibly cute like that.

“Alright, fine. I’ll be nicer to her.”

Taeyeon was surprised.

“Huh?”

“I said I will be nice to your best friend.”

“You will really do that?”

“Yes, I’m doing it just for you.”

“Okay, thanks Soo Young!”

“It means so much to you?”

“Of course! You’re like my good friend now. I’d prefer if my friends can live harmoniously together.”

Soo Young chuckled softly.

“Kim Taeyeon, you’re the cutest lady I’ve ever met. Simple things like that can console you greatly.”

“It’s the simple things in life makes your life complete.”

Both smiled widely.

-

“JESSICA JUNG!”

“Wait! I’m still having major diarrhoea!”

“But Krystal’s taking so long!”

“Kick her door down! She might be sleeping in the bath tub or something.”

“Are you kidding me? Both of you Jungs are freaks I tell you!”

“Stop being a mean woman!”

“Urgh!”

Tiffany needed the bathrooms urgently. But both Jung sisters were currently occupying them. She didn’t have a choice. She ran over to the boys’ apartment. Yul was at the door.

“Tiffany?”

“I’m sorry. I needed the bathroom.”

“Oh, sure! It’s in there.”

Tiffany ran past Yul and headed for the kitchen bathroom. Hyoyeon and J-Hope were in Soo Young’s room. Yoong was probably in his room. Yul waited for Tiffany at the dining table. He heard the flush and Tiffany got out from the bathroom; looking much relieved than just now.

“Better?”

“Yeah, thanks!”

“What happened? Did your bathrooms get raided by some chipmunks?”

Tiffany burst out laughing.

“That’s a good one – chipmunks. Well, those chipmunks are also known as Jung sisters.”

“Oh.”

“They hogged the bathrooms all the time. They would normally go last but I was out-win by the two sisters this time.”

Yul was amused.

“I hope our bathroom was a great help.”

“It was tremendously! I have never felt so relieved in my entire life before.”

Both laughed at the same time; Yul was indeed comfortable with Tiffany. And someone saw it. He grinned widely before closing his door behind him.

“Hyung, you’re so cute with Tiffany.”

Yoong smirked.

-

“Tiffany!”

Jessica finally got out from her bathroom after an hour. Krystal was still hogging the kitchen bathroom. And Tiffany was out of sight.

“Where the hell did she go?”

Suddenly the front door was open and Tiffany walked in. Jessica was frowning away.

“Where did you go?”

“I went next door.”

“Whatever for?”

“I needed to pee so badly. I had to use their bathroom.”

“Yoong’s there?”

“Can you hold your horses? I didn’t see your dream boy. Yul was at the door.”

Jessica grinned.

“Kwon Yul again?”

“What?”

“Don’t you realize you’re spending more time with him lately?”

“He was just being helpful; letting me in and using his bathroom. If I waited for you and Krystal, I might pee in my pants right now.”

Jessica was sticking her tongue out much to Tiffany’s annoyance.

“Whatever, Tiffany. Seems like you’re getting well with Kwon Yul.”

“I’m not listening. I’ll be in my room.”

“YA! He’s a nice guy!”

“I know!”

“He might be the best distraction from Nichkun!”

“I’m not taking advantage of the poor guy like that!”

“DISTRACTION IS NOT TAKING ADVANTAGE!”

“JUST SHUT UP AND CONCENTRATE ON YOUR DREAM BOY!”

“YA!”

Tiffany was out of sight. She was already in her room and Jessica was grinning away. She wanted to do something to help Tiffany.

-