Chapter 14

The Neighbours

Yul was in his car with Tiffany. The lady was still upset over something. Earlier on, she managed to calm down but the moment they reached to Yul’s car, she broke down yet again. Yul was helpless. He has never comforted a crying lady before. So he just sat there quietly; holding Tiffany tightly in his embrace.

“I’m sorry, Yul.”

Tiffany finally stopped and pulled away from his embrace. Yul shook his head and was concerned to see Tiffany’s red and swollen eyes. It must have been upsetting; whatever it was.

“Are you alright? Are you feeling better now?”

“I’m better now. Thanks for lending me your shoulders for me to cry on.”

“I don’t know what to say. I’m sorry.”

“No, it’s okay. Your shoulders were good enough for me.”

Tiffany searched for tissue but she didn’t have any in hand. Yul offered his handkerchief.

“You can use this.”

“But this is yours.”

“It’s okay. I haven’t used it. It’s still clean. You can keep it if you want.”

“Thanks, Yul.”

“You don’t have to thank me.”

“I’m sorry for ruining our lunch date too.”

“You don’t have to worry about that.”

Yul suddenly looked at his wrist watch. He gave a deep thought before turning to Tiffany.

“Are you rushing somewhere?”

“I wanted to go home after lunch.”

“So you’re free now?”

Tiffany nodded.

“I’ll bring you to my studio.”

“Huh?”

“I record my songs there. You can take a look at my office.”

“Is it okay?”

“Why isn’t it okay? I’m the only one using that studio. I can make lunch for us too. So, do you want to come along?”

“I’d love to.”

“Okay, sit tight. I’ll bring you there.”

Tiffany nodded and Yul drove off immediately.

-

“Where’s Tiffany?”

Jessica was at Tiffany’s office. But the lady wasn’t in.

“Noona went home.”

“She won a big case?”

“Yeah, you should know how she would reward herself.”

“Oh okay, thanks Suho.”

Jessica left Tiffany’s office. She had to lunch on her own. She sighed and pouted her lips. She was dying of boredom and she needed someone to talk to.  She made her way to the nearby restaurant and was appalled to see the crowd. She rolled her eyes.

“Oh my god, should I skip my lunch?”

She was thinking whether she should queue for her food. Suddenly someone tapped on her shoulder. She was so surprised to see the same person she had breakfast early morning; grinning at her. She felt like pinching his cheeks but refrained from doing so.

“What are you doing here?”

“I went out to have lunch but the crowd is crazy.”

“Tell me about it. I’m contemplating if I should eat.”

“What? No way, you must eat! You cannot skip lunch especially if you’re working. What do you feel like eating?”

“Why?”

“I’ll buy it for you. You can wait here or sit somewhere shady.”

Jessica was staring at him. Why did he appear out of sudden? How convenient could he get by popping at everywhere she was?

“Jessica?”

“Huh?”

“Why are you looking at me like that?”

“Oh, I’m sorry. Did you say something?”

“I was just asking what you would like to eat.”

“Do you have time?”

“Hm, I can spare 1-2 hours max.”

“Can you have lunch with me?”

“Sure, why not?”

“Great, let’s go!”

The pair went to look for some place to eat.

-

Soo Young was exhausted after spending two hours helping Taeyeon at her clinic. The last patient was some parrot who kept calling Soo Young “ert” much to the man’s annoyance. Taeyeon couldn’t stop laughing.

“I’ll kill that bird if I ever meet him again!”

“It’s a female.”

“y bird!”

Taeyeon giggled before settling down. She was looking through her files. Her clinic was closed for the day. She had to go somewhere for a routine check on the farm animals as per scheduled. She had to finish up some paper work before leaving.

“Where are you going after this?”

“I have to drive up to the country side for the routine check on the farm animals.”

“Farm animals? You mean cows and goats?”

“Yes.”

“Can I tag along?”

Taeyeon looked up. Soo Young was grinning at her.

“You wanted to kill a bird.”

“That stupid bird calls me ERT!”

“Well, the bird’s right to a certain extent. You can be quite a ert.”

“You’re insulting me. First you compared my birdie to a dog and now you’re agreeing with some stupid colourful bird that I’m a ert.”

“Aren’t you? You were trying to look at her female productive organ.”

“I’M INTRIGUED BY THE ANATOM Y!”

“So technically, you’re a ert.”

“Do I have to argue with you over this?”

Taeyeon looked on; she was considering about Soo Young’s offer. Her assistant wasn’t around to assist her and Soo Young might of good help.

“Fine, but you must promise not to go with me.”

“I promise!”

“And no fighting with the animals if they refuse to follow your ways.”

“They are stupid.”

“They are animals. They’re not humans.”

“Fine. I won’t argue with them.”

“Okay, then you can follow.”

“OKAY!”

Soo Young was clearly excited about it and Taeyeon wondered if she made the right choice.

-

“Come on in.”

Yul opened the door of his studio and ushered Tiffany in. Tiffany was awed at the vast open of his studio. It was located at a penthouse of the high-rise condominium in the middle of the city. It was definitely expensive and Tiffany wondered why Yul didn’t stay here.

“Wow, this is huge.”

“Yeah, I’ve changed it into a studio. The rooms have become recording studios.”

“You’re allowed to do this?”

“My walls are sound-proof. Besides I’m at the rooftop; nobody could hear. Maybe the only person who would complain is God himself.”

Yul attempted to crack a joke and Tiffany giggled. It was a good one; to be honest and Yul wondered why he became so smooth in front of Tiffany.

“You changed the kitchen too?”

“Nah, I cook my meals here. Sometimes I’ll cook for the producers if they come over. But today they’re not here. Sometimes Soo Young will come over too.”

“Your father came here before?”

“Yeah, he was the one who designed this place.”

“He cares about you a lot.”

“Yeah, I supposed so.”

Yul opened his fridge door and looked through. He grabbed a couple of packet juice and tossed one over to Tiffany.

“Hmm, apple juice is fine, right?”

“Yeah, it’s healthier in fact.”

“Exactly my thoughts. Soo Young would complain endlessly. He hates the fact that the fridge has no alcoholic drinks.”

Tiffany smiled before settling down on the sofa. Yul sat beside Tiffany and the television.

“Hmm, do you want to watch some movies?”

“You have that too?”

“Yeah, I have game stuff too. If we need to stay over, these stuffs entertain us.”

“Yul, is it okay if I could hear some of your songs?”

Yul turned to look at Tiffany.

“I mean if it’s alright with you. I mean I’m curious.”

Yul smiled and nodded. He stood up and walked over to the piano across the living room. Tiffany followed suit and stood at the edge of the piano. Yul lifted the cover and sat comfortably.  

“I just wrote this few days ago.”

“Oh?”

“But nobody has listened to it yet. You’ll be the first.”

Tiffany was smiling.

“I’ll be honoured then.”

“Let me know if it’s okay.”

“You’re going to sing it?”

“Yup.”

“Wow, okay. I’ll listen and give you the best comments.”

“That’ll be great.”

Yul took a deep breath and Tiffany was pulling a chair to sit closer to him. Yul rolled his fingers over the piano keys and the music soon filled up the room. Tiffany closed her eyes and then Yul started singing. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AU1yyy_At4)

You'll never enjoy your life,
Living inside the box
You're so afraid of taking chances,
How you gonna reach the top?

Rules and regulations,
Force you to play it safe
Get rid of all the hesitation,
It's time for you to seize the day

Instead of just sitting around
And looking down on tomorrow
You gotta let your feet off the ground,
The time is now

I'm waiting, waiting, just waiting,
I'm waiting, waiting outside the lines
Waiting outside the lines
Waiting outside the lines

Try to have no regrets
Even if it's just tonight
How you gonna walk ahead
If you keep living blind?

Stuck in the same position,
You deserve so much more
There's a whole world around us,
Just waiting to be explored

Instead of just sitting around
And looking down on tomorrow
You gotta let your feet off the ground,
The time is now, just let it go

Don't wanna have to force you to smile
I'm here to help you notice the rainbow
'Cause I know what's in you is out there



I'm waiting, waiting, just waiting,
I'm waiting, waiting outside the lines
Waiting outside the lines
Waiting outside the lines

I'm trying to be patient (I'm trying to be patient)
The first step is the hardest (the hardest)
I know you can make it,
Go ahead and take it

I'm waiting, waiting, just waiting
I'm waiting

I'm waiting, waiting, just waiting
I'm waiting, waiting outside the lines
Waiting outside the lines
Waiting outside the lines

You'll never enjoy your life
Living inside the box
You're so afraid of taking chances,
How you gonna reach the top?

 

Tiffany was mesmerised with Yul’s husky voice. She slowly opened her eyes and turned to look at Yul. He was staring at her; smiling and singing with all of his heart. Tiffany realized how passionate he was when he sang. He became another person – a person with many charms and Tiffany couldn’t help but melted in his voice. His finger skilfully danced over the piano keys and he closed his eyes occasionally.

Tiffany’s impression of Yul just kept getting better. This man is a hidden gem – a rare gem that Tiffany felt she should treasure for the rest of her life. He didn’t have the aura of a corporate leader but he does have an aura of a romantic and sentimental man whose voice was so captivating; that it melted Tiffany’s heart immediately.

The song came to an end and Tiffany was completely captivated. There was a wide smile on her face; the pain that she felt inside earlier on disappeared. It faded as soon as Yul’s soulful voice filled up the vast space of the living room.

“Wow.”

That was the only thing she could say.

“How was it?”

“It’s really good! Your voice is splendid! And the lyrics are so meaningful.”

“Well, I chose this song for you.”

Tiffany was taken aback. Yul smiled before closing the lid of his piano. He walked over to Tiffany and took her hands. He pulled her up gently and then looked deep into her eyes. He smiled.

“I don’t know what’s hurting you but seems like you’re struggling with something or someone in your past. You cried so badly; I could only imagine the pain you were feeling inside. Maybe it could never be erased or you could never let the pain fade away so easily.”

Tiffany’s eyes slowly filled with tears.

“But you have me now like how I have you in my life. I may not be the right guy to help you ease the pain but I would like to do my part as a friend. You trust me. And I trust you. So if the pain keeps going on; and if it’s too hurting to bear; lean on me. I’ll do my best to keep it away from you.”

“Yul..”

“I have never had a lady friend before. You’re my first lady friend.”

Yul’s cheeks turned red. Tiffany was tickled. Yul was really cute when he was blushing.

“I will sing for you. I will do anything to make the pain fades away. So don’t worry; come to me, Tiffany whenever you feel like crying or the pain is too tormenting for you. I’ll ease that pain away.”

“You’re a perfect gentleman.”

“I am?”

“Nobody will ever do this for a friend.”

“Oh, is it too over-bearing?”

Yul bit his lower lip and Tiffany was amused.

“But I don’t mind having that. It seems like you’re more than just a friend. You’re my special friend.”

Yul gave a grin and Tiffany’s heart skipped a beat. It was just for a split second but it did so much for Tiffany’s heart.

“Kwon Yul, what the hell did you do to me?”

Tiffany wondered.

-

“Im Yoong!”

Jessica was surprised at the audacity of this girl who took the liberty to jump on Yoong’s back. The pair was having lunch at the nearby restaurant. It was less crowded.

“Oof!”

Yoong almost choked on his noodles. He quickly turned and his expression turned sour. He gently pushed the girl’s arms away and stood up immediately.

“What are you doing here?”

“I cannot say hello to you?”

“I didn’t say that.”

“Then why are you looking less happy than earlier on?”

“What do you mean?”

Jessica could only look on. She, of course, was jealous with the skinship both of them were having and she couldn’t help wondering how the girl was related to Yoong.

“I saw you from earlier on. You were smiling so widely while having lunch with her.”

The girl blatantly pointed at Jessica. Jessica wanted so much to break that finger but she just maintained a poker face.

“She’s a friend of mine. And stop pointing your finger like that. It’s rude.”

“I can do whatever I like, Im Yoong.”

“I don’t belong to you anymore, Jean.”

“You don’t have to be so mean, you know?”

“I’m not. You chose to marry someone else.”

Jessica looked up; Yoong’s eyes were red and moist.

“You told me to leave you.”

“Yes I did. You told me you couldn’t live with a poor boxer like me.”

“I didn’t mean to say that to you. I was in the wrong. After I left you, I felt so lonely. He doesn’t take care of me the way you did.”

“I’m sorry, Jean. This ship has sailed.”

“And you’re seeing someone like her?”

Yoong turned to look at Jessica who was a little baffled with the lady’s accusation. What the hell was wrong with Jessica?

“She’s perfectly fine. She’s probably a hundred times better than you.”

“You’re seriously throwing us away?”

“You threw me away since the day you got married.”

“What happened to our 10 years together?”

Jessica suddenly stood up. She had enough of this ; spouting nonsense in front of her. She walked over to Yoong and held his hand. She squeezed it tightly before turning to face the shameless woman.

“You threw your 10 years away since you chose to marry someone else. You don’t expect this poor guy to wait for you despite you’re married to some other guy. And you’re pregnant for god sake. Aren’t you a little shameless to hang on to your ex like that?”

Jessica managed to glance to the lady’s tummy. It was obvious she was pregnant. It was protruding out.

“What if this baby is Yoong’s baby?”

The lady smirked. Jessica turned to look at Yoong who was shocked beyond words. She had to ask.

“How long have you broken off, Yoong?”

“It was a year ago.”

Jessica rolled her eyes.

“Stupid woman, do you know anything about pregnancy? If you have broken off a year ago, how could you just be pregnant now? Don’t try to confuse Yoong. You should be ashamed of yourself. Where’s your dignity as a woman? Why would your husband say if he knows about this?”

“It’s none of your business!”

“It’s my business now! He’s mine!”

Yoong’s mouth reached the ground. He was stunned when Jessica stood her ground; glaring into Jean’s eyes. Jessica tightened her grip around Yoong’s hand and then threw a couple of $50s onto the table. She called for the waiter.

Everyone was watching them. She had to leave. This woman was pissing her off.

“Don’t ever come near my man. I won’t let him go. You’ve lost him so now he’s mine.”

Jessica pulled Yoong with her; leaving Jean embarrassed with everyone staring at her. Yoong looked on as Jessica pulled them to a safe distance away from the restaurant. Jessica finally stopped after awhile; they were at the bridge of Han River.

Jessica let go of his hand and Yoong was still staring at her. He wondered why she claimed that he was hers. 

Is Jessica in love with him?

Jessica on the hand was still in the midst of calming herself down. She was normally more level headed when it comes to this kind of situation. She knew she had no right to drag Yoong away but watching Yoong got humiliated by his ex girlfriend in front of the public was something she couldn’t tolerate.

She could see Yoong almost believed the fact that child that was carrying might be his. He almost fell for the ’s trap.

“Did you really think she was pregnant with your baby?”

Yoong was taken aback. How the hell did Jessica know?

“How did you know?”

“You’re so naive and gullible.”

“I’m not good with this.”

“She knows that, Yoong. She knows your weakness that’s why she tried to trap you.”

“Oh, is that so?”

Yoong was looking a little relieved.  He let out a long sigh and Jessica was amused.

“You’re really naive, aren’t you?”

“What? I don’t really have experience with such things.”

“So you really slept with her?”

Yoong bit his lower lip. He looked remorseful.

“I was drunk.”

“And she was drunk too?”

“No, she brought me back to her house and we ended up doing it. But that was just once! I regretted it. I felt so remorseful after that.”

Jessica frowned.

“Regret and remorseful? That’s not something I would expect you to feel after having with a woman.”

“No, that’s not what I mean! She tried to make me sleep with her but I refused.”

Jessica was surprised.

“She said I was too old-fashioned. I told her I won’t touch unless we’re married.”

God, what kind of guy Yoong is?

“You’re actually against pre-marital ?”

“Of course! You can only take the woman’s dignity when you’re related to her somehow. I’ve always believe that love is not based on having ; it’s based on mutual respect for each other.”

Jessica was completely blown away.

“You’re judging me, aren’t you?”

“No, I’m not!”

“Yes you are, you have the same look as Jean when I told her that. I’m just a conservative man on the inside.”

Jessica was amused. She chuckled softly much to Yoong’s dismay.

“Why are you laughing at me now?”

“I’m not. I’m just amused.”

“You’re so judging me right now!”

“No, Yoong. I thought you’re sweet. I mean such men like you don’t really exist anymore.”

Yoong frowned and then pouted his lips. Jessica wanted so much to capture them. But she held herself back really strong.

“Aww, come on. I mean it in a good way.”

“You don’t mind pre-marital ?”

Jessica choked on her saliva.

“What?”

“If you’re a lady, and you wanted to sleep with me but I refused. Will you say I’m a stupid man?”

Jessica smiled widely.

“No, I’ll say thank you for honouring my ity.”

“Really?”

“Yes, Yoong. I think you’re really wonderful and sweet. I’m sure your lady will be the happiest woman alive.”

Yoong grinned like a little child which made Jessica’s heart swelled even more. He was just too amazing in his own ways. Then suddenly Yoong looked up again. Jessica gazed at him.

“Wait, I need to know something.”

“What is it?”

“You told Jean I’m your man.”

Jessica was panicking. She was extremely nervous for sure. She wished Yoong would stop asking but he asked the ultimatum anyway.

“Do you like me?”

Jessica wished she could run away right now. Yoong was staring deep into her eyes.

-

“Dr Kim!”

A man was approaching Taeyeon fast and quick. He threw his arms around the petite doctor and hugged her tightly. Soo Young was looking on with disgust. He was helping Taeyeon with her medical equipment.

“Lee Teuk oppa!”

Taeyeon was friendly enough to return the hug but quickly pulled herself away. Lee Teuk was smiling widely; clearly ignoring Soo Young who was standing next to Taeyeon.

“Teukie oppa, this is Soo Young.”

“Where’s Sunmi?”

“She’s busy today so I brought my new assistant along.”

“Okay.”

The man stretched his hand out and Soo Young shook his hands. It turned into a hand gripping moment when the man squeezed Soo Young’s hand tightly. Soo Young winced but then took revenge by gripping tighter than the guy did.

Taeyeon didn’t notice it; she was more concerned about the animals.

“Where are the cows, oppa?”

Lee Teuk finally let go. His hand was red and Soo Young’s hand was pale. It looked as though the blood has been drained out.

“I’ll bring you to them.”

Lee Teuk took the opportunity to put his arms around Taeyeon. He then glanced over his shoulder and smirked at Soo Young. The tall guy was infuriated.

“.”

He muttered under his voice before staggering behind them.  They finally reached the stables and Soo Young could see the animals; trotting about in the field. He has never seen these up close like this. He was completely awed.

“Okay, I’m going to check on them.”

“You need me to be around?”

“Nah, Soo Young’s here. He will help me.”

“Is he strong enough? I mean he’s too skinny to handle these animals.”

Soo Young rolled his eyes. This Lee Teuk guy was obviously trying to piss him off.

“I’m sure we’ll be fine. You’re busy with your other chores. Just go ahead. I can handle the animals with Soo Young.”

Lee Teuk was despondent that Taeyeon kindly rejected his offer. Soo Young gloated over it and smirked at him. Lee Teuk stared at him with his fiery glare.

“I’ll take it over from here. Let’s not disturb Dr Kim, shall we?”

Soo Young was being a jerk and Lee Teuk just walked away in a huff. Soo Young was feeling triumphant and he had no idea why he had to irk that poor guy.

“What are you doing?”

Taeyeon turned to look at him.

“What?”

“Why are you smiling to yourself like an idiot?”

Soo Young rolled his eyes.

“Dr Kim, just do your job.”

“I need your help.”

“Sure.”

Soo Young put the equipment down and took his gloves. He then wore his mask and even wore an overcoat which Taeyeon has given him earlier on. He has already changed into the boots Taeyeon made him wear. He hates them. They made him look like a contractor worker.

“What am I supposed to do?”

He walked over to Taeyeon and waited for her instructions.

“Wow, you actually came prepared. I thought I had to remind you.”

“One day with you is enough for me to understand what is needed from me.”

“You didn’t touch the reptiles.”

“I have phobia of them, okay?!”

Taeyeon grinned; leaving Soo Young frustrated. He threw his hands up in the air but Taeyeon patted on his shoulders.

“You’ve been a great help. I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to tease you.”

“I’m giving you the privilege. I don’t normally give such chances for other woman.”

“Oh, so I’m supposed to be grateful and feel special for that?”

“What do you want me to help with?”

“Can you hold her for me?”

Soo Young turned to look into the stable. There was a horse right in the middle. She looked big.

“What’s that?”

“It’s a horse. You haven’t seen one before?”

“Are they always so huge in real life?”

“She’s pregnant.”

“Oh. So that’s why she looked large?”

“Just hold her, will you?”

“How do I do that?”

Taeyeon looked up and then realized it was Soo Young’s first day. She has totally forgotten about that.

“I’ll teach you.”

Taeyeon took the reign around the horse and held on to it tightly. Soo Young then slowly came forward and Taeyeon passed it to him.

“You hold her like this. Put your arm around her neck.”

“Okay.”

Soo Young carefully put his arm around the horse’s neck. The horse appeared calm and completely ignoring Soo Young’s presence.

“Good, she’s calm and peaceful. I’ll check on her now.”

“What are you actually checking?”

“I need to make sure her baby is in the right position.”

“Oh.”

“Hold on her tightly. This injection might shock her a little.”

“Okay.”

Soo Young was actually nervous and terrified. The damn horse was much larger and taller than him. He has never felt so intimidated before. Everything went smoothly and Taeyeon didn’t have any problems as she completed her check on the horse.

“You can let her go now.”

“You have given her the injection?”

“Yup, it was quick. She seems relaxed in your embrace.”

Soo Young rolled his eyes.

“So who’s next?”

“That guy over there.”

Taeyeon pointed to a bull with the horns. Soo Young swallowed hard.

“Are you kidding me?”

“No, I’m not.”

“And I’m supposed to hold him by the neck?”

“No, you don’t. If you hold him, you’ll die.”

“So what do I need to do?”

“You need to shoot him.”

“WHAT?!”

Taeyeon took out a air-gun with tranquilizers. She inserted it in and passed it to Soo Young. The guy’s hands were trembling. Taeyeon noticed.

“What’s wrong with you?”

“I don’t know how to shoot.”

“I’ll teach you.”

“I feel like I’m taking a crash course on how to become Dr Kim Taeyeon’s personal assistant.”

Soo Young was sarcastic.

“Oh come on! Sunmi is so much braver than you. You’re such a baby!”

“Sunmi’s experienced!”

“No, she had to shoot the damn bull with this air-gun on her first day too.”

“She really did that?!”

“Choi Soo Young, if you’re afraid, I’ll do it.”

Taeyeon stood up on her two feet. She was getting ready to take the shot. She held the trigger base tightly and aimed for the bull. Suddenly at the corner of Soo Young’s eyes, he could see Lee Teuk sniggering at him.

Jerk! That man was probably laughing at him. He immediately stopped Taeyeon.

“I’ll do it.”

“Huh? Are you sure? Your hands are trembling.”

“This is a man’s job.”

Taeyeon narrowed her eyes at him.

“Holding a revolver or a gun is not necessarily a man’s job.”

“I’m your assistant. I’ll do it. You just prepare whatever you need to.”

He took the air gun from Taeyeon’s hands. He tried to steady himself and somehow managed to grip on the trigger. He rested his chin on the cheek rest.

“Are you sure you know how to use this?”

“You can teach me.”

Taeyeon hesitated.

“Don’t worry; I’ll be fine.”

“Okay, now try to aim for the bull.”

Taeyeon was pointing to the rear sight of the air gun. Soo Young took an aim.

“Done.”

“Alright, now you just need to shoot it.”

“Okay.”

Soo Young took a step closer; he was prepared to shoot.  Taeyeon was behind him; watching him.  However Soo Young made too many sudden moves and he startled the bull instead. And before he could press on the trigger, the bull saw him first. That beast grunted. Then something happened so quickly and Soo Young flew from where he stood. The bull rammed into him.

“SOO YOUNG!”

Taeyeon quickly rushed towards him. The man was already on the ground; groaning in pain. His nose was bleeding.

“Oh my god!”

Taeyeon knelt down beside him and lifted his head up before resting him on her lap.

“Soo Young, are you alright?”

“My back feels like breaking. Am I dead yet, Taeyeon?”

“Shut up and stop talking! I’ll rush you to the hospital now!”

Soo Young was amazed at how strong Dr Kim Taeyeon was. She managed to scoop him up in her arms as she made a dash for her car.

“Hang on, you’ll be fine.”

That was Taeyeon’s words to him before the man lost consciousness.

-

 

Author's Note: Yul's song : Waiting Outside The Line - Greyson Chance (should listen to it. it's awesome)