Chapter 9

The Neighbours

“Are you sure you don’t mind, Yoong-shi?”

Jessica was surprised when Yoong suggest letting J-Hope and Hyoyeon to live over with them. Jessica was suggesting the nearby hotel but Yoong was against it.

“I’m fine with it. Soo Young and Yul are okay with it too. You don’t have to fork out extra expenses just for the hotel. J-Hope can share with me and Soo Young with Hyoyeon.”

Soo Young nodded as he bit into his chips. Krystal grabbed a handful. Soo Young found his shikshin partner – Jessica’s younger sister.

“Soo Young-shi, are you sure? Isn’t it inconvenient for you?”

“I don’t mind actually. Yoong’s right. The boys can live here. I’m sure you prefer your younger brothers staying closer to you, right?”

“Wow, I didn’t know you’re actually nice like that.”

“I’m always nice.”

Jessica rolled her eyes but didn’t argue back. J-Hope and Hyoyeon were waiting for their sisters’ approval. Both were in fact thrilled to live here. The guys seemed fun.

“But I’m not going to let my brother staying here for free. Hyo, you must chip in with the cost.”

“Sure, I’m starting work in few days time. I can chip in.”

“You don’t have to that. You just need to take good care of yourself.”

Taeyeon was even more impressed with Soo Young. She already knew Soo Young has a heart of gold but she never knew he was generous as well.

“So that settles right? The boys can stay over here. We won’t charge.”

“I guess so. It makes me feel better that he’s staying closer to me.”

Jessica was referring to her 20 year old brother.

“Noona, I’m old enough!”

“You’re still a baby to me!”

J-Hope pouted his lips but Jessica couldn’t care less. She pulled him closer and hugged him.

“You know I love you, right?”

J-Hope nodded.

“So I’ll probably be like this to you for the rest of your life.”

“Even when I’m married?”

“I’ll make sure you find a good wife. Just like how you’re protective of me.”

J-Hope smiled widely and then nodded his head. Krystal was still munching into Soo Young’s chips. She was cool like that.

“So where do I stay?”

She finally spoke up.

“You’re staying with me, of course!”

“I cannot stay with the oppas?”

“Krystal Jung, you’re a girl!”

“They seem fun!”

Krystal pouted her lips.

“You can join us whenever but you cant stay overnight.”

Yoong spoke up; Krystal’s face brightened up.

“Really? I can watch you train too?”

“Err, sure. Why not?”

“YESS!”

Krystal ran towards Yoong and hugged him. Jessica’s mouth twitched. What the hell is this?! Both her siblings managed to hug him so freely!

“Okay, why don’t we show the boys around?”

Yul suggested. He turned to the ladies.

“You might want to check out too. In case you find their living accommodations might not up to your standard.”

He was referring to Taeyeon and Jessica. Krystal was the first up front when Yoong showed them around. Tiffany followed from behind. They were moving from one place to another – Soo Young’s room was first.

“You can sleep on the bed. I’ll take the floor.”

Soo Young offered.

“Hyung, it’s okay! I can sleep on the floor.”

“Are you insane? You’re the guest. You should take the bed.”

“It’s okay, Soo Young. I’ll get him a mattress for him.”

Taeyeon injected.

“Wow, you have a full set of drums and keyboard mixer!”

J-Hope was awed; Jessica was surprised as well.

“That’s my job.”

“What?”

“He’s a music producer.”

Taeyeon offered to explain. Suddenly Krystal was interested at blown-up photo just above his study table. It was a photo of Soo Young with two hot models and Krystal recognized them.

“Wait, aren’t those the top models in South Korea?”

The group turned to look at the photo. Soo Young wasn’t even interested to look up.  Jessica was stunned to find her favourite model on the photo.

“Wait, that’s TOP, right?!”

“And that’s Choi Minho!”

Tiffany was equally surprised. Taeyeon opened widely.

“What’s your surname?”

Tiffany asked Soo Young.

“Those two are my brothers. I’m Choi Soo Young. That’s my older brother, Choi Seunghyun and my younger brother, Choi Minho.”

“WHAT?!”

Jessica wanted to faint.

-

“You’re one of the Choi brothers?!”

Soo Young nodded.

“You’re the second son?!”

Jessica was still in denial. She couldn’t believe she just stuffed a sock into one of the Choi brothers’ mouth.

“Yes, are we going somewhere?”

“My sister is fan of the Choi brothers.”

J-Hope spoke up.

“What? Seriously?”

Soo Young was surprised.

“How can it be? You look so good in that photo!”

“Excuse me; I took part in it because my brother forced me to.”

“Jessica was in love with you. She thought you look good.”

“HE LOOKS DIFFERENT NOW!”

“I cut my hair short for that photo. I took that photo with my brothers because of some charity event.”

“We know. It was for the children cancer society.”

“Yeah, my older brother, TOP is the ambassador for that society. Since it was for a good cause, I decided to lend my face to him.”

The four ladies were still in a shock; especially Taeyeon. She didn’t expect Soo Young to be a part time model though he has the height for it.

“Why didn’t you continue to be a model, hyung?”

Hyoyeon was digging for more information. He knew his sister was interested in Soo Young.

“I’m the shortest among the 3 of us. I’m not really into modelling because it’s too tiring. I prefer music so I chose my first love. You should know both of them are into acting now, right?”

“Yes, we’re aware of that. But it’s such a waste. You have the height.”

Jessica was offering her two cents’ worth. Soo Young was smirking.

“So you think I’m good looking huh?”

“What?”

“Tiffany said you like me the most.”

“Shut up.”

Jessica’s face was blushing. Tiffany and Taeyeon were sniggering. They knew more than just that. Jessica gave them a warning look. But her sister was the one who betrayed her.

“Well, she thinks you have the nicest pelvic veins.”

“WHAT?!”

Jessica was dying of embarrassment.

-

“Those veins are on the pelvic that led to the crotch, right?”

Tiffany nodded. Soo Young was still stunned with Jessica’s confession.

“You like my veins?!”

“Yours are most prominent among your brothers!”

“What?!”

“I mean, those veins are leading to your know what.”

“YES I KNOW THAT! BUT WHY ARE YOU LOOKING SO DEEP INTO MY ANATOMY?!”

“You have the iest veins there!”

“I do?!”

J-Hope and Hyoyeon were already lifting their pants to see if they have them. Taeyeon smacked her brother’s forehead.

“What are you doing?!”

“I need to know which ones.”

“You have them! I saw them before.”

“WHERE?!”

Hyoyeon was staring at his abdomen and J-Hope offered to look. But Yoong was already laughing and then pointed out to the boys. He lifted up his shirt.

“I think your sisters are referring to these.”

He was pointing to his and Jessica’s heart almost stopped.

“YA!”

“Yoong, you have too!”

“Every guy will have those!”

“Oh, it’s not exclusive?”

“Hyung, are you stupid or stupid?”

“Isn’t that the same?”

“Yeah, you are stupid.”

The girls’ faces were already red. The boys were showing their pelvic veins to them except for Yul. The guy was staring blankly at them.

“What in the world are you guys doing?! There are ladies here!”

“Yul, do you have them?”

“Huh?”

“Oh come on, show us!”

“WAIT WAIT!”

The girls’ noses might bleed. Soo Young took out Yul’s shirt and inspected Yul’s abdomen.

“GOOD LORD! Yours are so prominent!”

The ladies were officially zoned out. The boys were showing off their abdomens to them.

-

Jessica was in her room. It was so awkward earlier on. Tiffany joined her and the two ladies were sitting on the bed together.

“What the hell was that just now?”

“I have no idea. But I didn’t expect Soo Young to be one of the Choi brothers.”

“Yeah, he looks really different with longer hair now.”

“And why did Krystal has to embarrass me like that?!”

Tiffany laughed and earned a knock on her forehead.

“It’s not funny!”

“Well, you have a bonus. You could see Yoong’s pelvic veins as well.”

Jessica blushed immediately.

“God, that guy is just so y, Tiffany.”

“I agree with you. I took the lift with him. He just oozed iness and if not for my stupid feelings for Nichkun, I might rip his shirt apart and have with him.”

Jessica glared at Tiffany. She knew her best friend was sarcastic.

“No, it’s the truth! I know now why your ovaries burst.”

“You had too?”

“I’m not as as you. But what’s the deal with the dinner? How come we ended up eating there?”

“Taeyeon said Soo Young offered to cook. They went to the supermarket together and Soo Young even paid for the groceries. I didn’t expect him to be nice.”

“I think all 3 guys are. You know, Yul?”

“Yes, I threw a boot at his face. Yes, I know him.”

“Jessica, you seriously need to control your temper. You might have killed someone one day.”

“I wish it could be Choi Soo Young although I admit he’s gorgeous and nice.”

“Well, Yul’s a millionaire.”

Jessica’s eyes grew larger.

“As in millionaire millionaire?”

“He’s the heir to his father’s multi-billion company. His family is the second richest family in Seoul.”

“What the hell.”

“Tell me about it. I was surprised to find him at my office. Kwon Jing Woo is his father.”

“But he doesn’t have the appeal.”

“Exactly, I was stunned too. You would be if I tell you what he’s doing for a living.”

“What?”

“He’s a song-writer!”

“GET OUT! Are you sure about this?!”

“I swear!”

“So our neighbours are hidden jewels?”

“What do you mean?”

“We have a millionaire son, one of the Choi Brothers and a professional boxer. They look like dorks if we don’t know about them.”

“I guess so. But I think we’ll be fine.”

“I’m sure I’ll be. I found out Mr Gorgeous is not seeing anyone.”

“Yoong?”

“Yeah, he told me he’s single.”

Tiffany giggled.

“Looks like our Miss Jung might have the chance.”

“I really hope so.”

The two ladies grinned at each other.

-

J-Hope still hasn’t told his sister why he was here. He wasn’t too sure how he was going to break the news to his sister. He couldn’t get to sleep so he sat up instead. He got a shock of his life when he saw Yoong sleeping upside down; with his legs hanging up in the air.

“HYUNG!”

Yoong opened his eyes; J-Hope was stunned.

“I’m sorry. Did I wake you up?”

“What are you doing there? Why you hanging upside down like a bat?”

“Oh, it’s part of my training. I’ll do this for an hour while reciting the Korean alphabets.”

“Huh? Whatever for?”

“I just need to channel my concentration despite having a sudden rush flow of blood into my brain.”

“You scared the out of me. I thought you’re a vampire or something!”

Yoong got down from the ceiling and sat at the edge of the bed. His face was completely red. He looked like his head could burst any time.

“Isn’t it painful?”

“Yeah, but I’ve learn to concentrate despite that.”

“Is this part of your training? To control your mind?”

“Well you might get injured with someone suddenly punch you in the head. I’m trying to ease the burden if I get punched one day.”

“You’re so cool, hyung. You’re so disciplined.”

“Of course, I love boxing. My father taught me well.”

“You’ve done anything else before?”

Yoong did some push-ups and sit ups while J-Hope looked on with awe. He was mentally counting them and he was completely floored when Yoong reached his 100th sit up in 5 minutes.

“I’m not good with studies. I used to hang out with the bad company. I love to use my strength to punch people or something. So my father taught me boxing.”

“You seem to know what you want to do in life.”

“You don’t?”

J-Hope looked at Yoong but then shook his head.

“Why? Don’t you have something that you like to do?”

“I do but I’m not sure if my family will approve of it.”

“What do you want to do?”

J-Hope bit his lower lip but then looked up at the ceiling.

“My sister put me through college so that I could study something and have it good out of it. But I don’t like studying. I wanted to be an entertainer instead.”

“Entertainer?”

“I want to be a professional singer.”

“Ah, okay. That’s fine. It’s not an illegal occupation.”

“But I’m not sure how Sica noona will think of it. If you want to know, we’re not related by blood.”

“Oh?”

Yoong looked up; surprised by the sudden revelation.

“I was adopted by the Jungs. Jessica noon took good care of me. Krystal and myself are of the same age. I’m just older by few months but Jessica noona took care of me more than her younger sister.”

Yoong listened; and nodded his head.

“I don’t want to disappoint her. I mean, I owe my life to her and her family.”

“I could see how much she cares about you.”

“I just don’t want her to be disappointed in me.”

Yoong smiled widely and patted on the younger guy’s shoulder.

“Well, I’m sure she’s going to be fine with it.”

“How do you know, Hyung?”

“Your sister’s a good person. She might be fierce and crazy sometimes but I think she’s a nice person to be with. She’s warm and thoughtful. If she has been taking care of you since you were a kid, I can assure you. She’s going to support you in everything that you do just as long as you’re happy.”

“Hyung, you’re so cool. I wish I could have a hyung like you.”

“I thought I’m already am now?”

“Well, yes. But I wish you could be closer like family.”

Yoong just smiled and ruffled the younger guy’s hair.

“Get some sleep. I’m taking a quick shower.”

“Okay, good night hyung!”

Yoong smiled and left the room. J-Hope was optimistic. He was going to tell Jessica his decision tomorrow.

-

Yul sighed. He was on his bed but his mind was somewhere else. He was observing Jessica all the time when they had dinner at their place. He hardly talks to Jessica except for the point where she accidentally threw her boot at her and he got injured. But that was it.  Jessica was talking more often with Soo Young and Yoong.

Yul knew he was a boring person. He just couldn’t get into the momentum unlike Yoong or Soo Young. Yes, even though Soo Young argued more often but at least he could talk to Jessica. Yoong was always smooth with his words; he’s so easy going and ladies find him comfortable to be with.

Only Yul felt awkward with ladies. But at least one of the ladies kept him company. She was none other than his father’s lawyer, Tiffany Hwang.

Yul looked on as Jessica and Yoong were chatting together. Soo Young was with Taeyeon. Both guys were so comfortable with ladies. Yul could never be in one room with a lady alone. He would suffocate to death. He sat on the sofa quietly. The only person he was talking to was Hyoyeon, Taeyeon’s brother.

“Mr Kwon?”

Yul turned to find Tiffany smiling at him. He smiled and shifted in. Tiffany sat beside him.

“What are you doing here alone? Why don’t you join us there?”

“I don’t know really know how to mingle.”

“Oh, are you the shy type?”

“You can say so.”

“So is it okay if I join you here?”

“No! It’s fine with me. I’m getting bored. Even Hyoyeon has left me to join Jessica-shi’s siblings.”

Tiffany giggled but settled down comfortably beside him.

“So Mr Kwon, I heard you’re a song writer.”

Yuri chuckled. He felt weird when people addressed him as Mr Kwon.

“Don’t call me that. Just call me Yul.”

“But..”

“My father is my father. I prefer if you can address me by my name. I feel so awkward if you call me Mr Kwon.”

“Okay, then you can call me Tiffany.”

“Sure, I’ll do that. And yes, I’m a song writer.”

“Is there any songs that you’ve written that I know?”

Yul grabbed his guitar and started strumming. Tiffany recognized the song and her eyes lighted up immediately.

“YK is you?!”

“Oh? You know this song?”

“Yes, it’s wonderfully written! I really love it!”

“Thanks!”

“So you hide your identity behind your initials.”

“Yes, if I use my real name, people will know who I am. I’m not rich. The rich one is my father.”

“You don’t seem to like be in the limelight, aren’t you?”

Yul shook his head. He didn’t like to be in the limelight because something happened when he was younger. The experience left him terrified.

“Everybody knows my father. But they don’t really know his sons. Only my brother made himself known because he was really popular in school. We attended the same high school but nobody knew that I was his brother.”

Tiffany listened attentively. Yul took it as a green light to continue his story.

“But one day, some bad guys found out. Both I and my brother were kidnapped. But he managed to escape and the kidnappers got mad. They threatened to kill me but my father managed to save me. Since then, my father told me to stay away from the limelight.”

“Oh, you must have been terrified.”

“I was. But Yoong was there for me. He’s like the brother I never had. He takes good care of me even though he’s younger. He often tells me that he’s obliged to look after me. My father’s fond of him and when I moved in with Yoong, my father implored him to look out for me.”

“Ah, so you’re best friend with Yoong.”

“Yoong’s a great friend. He made an effort to let me know more friends. The next person he introduced was Soo Young. That guy was a joker; well he is still now but the dynamics of our relationship was like heaven and hell. But I’m just glad to have these two guys by my side.”

Tiffany nodded. She shared the same sentiments with Yul. Jessica and Taeyeon were like that too.

“I guess, it’s all fated that we get to know each other. My father wants me to look out for you.”

“Oh? He told you that?”

“He said you’re soft and gentle. You’re very reserved and often isolate yourself away from the crowd. I could see it tonight. You’ve been sitting here all by yourself.”

“You saw me?”

“Of course, I’m a lawyer. I have this habit to observe and be alert of my surroundings.”

“That what makes you a good lawyer.”

“Haha, you’re flattering me again.”

Yul smiled and Tifffany returned it sweetly. Yul finds Tiffany attractive. Her eye smiles were perfect attributed to her facial expression making her extremely beautiful when she smiled. Yul was weirdly feeling comfortable with her – she was the first woman he could ever sit closely like that.

“So, can I have this pleasure to be your friend too, Yul?”

“Huh?”

“Since we live next to each other and your father is my client, let’s be closer.”

Tiffany stuck her hand out and Yul looked at her briefly. He nervously put his hand out and took Tiffany’s hand. The lady shook firmly and her smile was perfectly beautiful.

“We’re friends now.”

Yul nodded and both ended up laughing when they realized how stupid they looked.

Yul smiled to himself as he recalled the moments he had with Tiffany. He was glad to be able to warm up to Tiffany without Yoong’s help. He thought Yoong didn’t realize; but he was so wrong. The guy was watching him all night.

“So, someone is doing well tonight.”

Yul looked up to find Yoong grinning at him. He knew that look.

“What?”

“I saw you chatting with Tiffany-shi for the longest time. I’m impressed that you didn’t make an attempt to run away by pretending that you needed the loo.”

“Well, I find it weird too. Tiffany-shi is easy to talk to.”

“That’s nice. You’re slowly learning how to make friends with the opposite gender without my help.”

“Hey, don’t make it sound like that.”

“I mean it in a good way, hyung. Just take your time. You’ll find it easier if you relax yourself.”

Yul nodded.

“Jessica-shi’s brother is asleep?”

“Yeah, I think he’s exhausted after the long flight. Did you see Soo Young?”

“He must have gone out for supper. I saw Hyoyeon went along with him.”

“Those two guys are making progress. Hyung, do you know why he suddenly wanted to cook for our neighbours?”

Yul shrugged.

“He’s very close with Taeyeon-shi. Don’t you realize, Yoong?”

“That’s right. I noticed it too. Is he wooing her?”

“O.o”

“Hyung, what’s with those cute eyes?”

Yul rolled his eyes at Yoong.

“You really think he’s wooing Taeyeon-shi?”

“I don’t know. I’ll ask him later. Are you going to sleep soon?”

“Yeah, I have to leave early tomorrow.”

“Okay then, I’ll see you tomorrow. Good night hyung!”

Yoong left his room and Yul turned to his laptop. He has to meet his brother tomorrow. His father has arranged an appointment for him. He sighed loudly.

“I hate this so much.”

He really hated a lot.

-

“Soo Young, thanks for bringing me out for supper.”

“You eat a lot too?”

“Not really, but I don’t sleep early. I’m only starting my new job next week. I thought I could visit Seoul.”

“Ah, I can bring you around tomorrow.”

“Don’t you have to work?”

“I work when I have to. I’m taking a break. Anyway your sister’s too busy to bring you around, right?”

“Yeah, she’s always busy. In fact she has a lot of weight recently.”

“Hmm?”

Soo Young was listening as he took a bite of the food they ordered. Hyoyeon mentioned a little bit of Taeyeon’s past to Soo Young.

“Your parents are rich back in your hometown?”

“Yes, we’re considered as a well-to-do family.”

“So your family relies on your sister now?”

“Not really; my father doesn’t want her to leave at first.”

“Oh? So she left your hometown on her own accord?”

“You know that she’s biual, right?”

“Yeah, that came up.”

“My father found out about her relationship with a girl.”

“Jessica?”

“No, Jessica noona came after that. But Taeyeon noona had a relationship with a girl and a guy once. It turned out that the guy was just using her.”

“Really? What did he do?”

“He knew our family’s rich. So he made use of Taeyeon noona and cheated her money. Since then, she lost faith in guys. She studied hard in school and got into Seoul University. That was when she met her first girlfriend – Kahi noona.”

Soo Young was somewhat fascinated.

“So was she gorgeous?”

“Of course she is! I had this super big crush on my sister’s ex girlfriend. But I didn’t say anything. Kahi noona broke her heart when she left Seoul.”

“Oh, so she had to leave the country?”

“Yes, she was studying music so she left for England. Jessica came in later. They were best friends before turning into lovers.”

“So why did they break up?”

“People were gossiping behind Dad’s back. They didn’t want my sister to stay there. They felt like as though she was a bad influence to the younger girls.”

“What? So your sister left?”

“Yes, she left. She left with Jessica noona. But a year later, I found out they broke up but still remain best friends. Since then, she didn’t find anyone anymore.”

“Wow, how long was that?”

“It was 4 years ago. My sister has been alone for that long.”

“You seem concerned about her.”

“I am. I mean, I know I’m always joking around and being playful but I love my sister a lot. She has helped me and also my parents a lot.”

“Has she ever returned to your hometown?”

“Nope but people are hoping that she will.”

“Why? I thought they kicked her out, literally?”

“Our village was flooded before. A lot of the poor families were stuck because they were closer to the flood plains. It was noona who donated so much money to get help. Suddenly she became the heroine but she has never wanted to take credit of that.”

“Wow, your sister’s awesome.”

“Of course she is! I sincerely hope she will find the right guy and settle down. I’ll feel safer if she does. Jessica noona has been dating guys lately.”

Soo Young nodded.

“Soo Young, what do you think of my sister?”

Soo Young gave a good thought. He was comfortable with her. She was funny and adorable too.

“She’s fine.”

“That’s it?”

“What do you mean?”

“How do you see her?”

“Hmm?”

“Is she a girlfriend material?”

“Huh? Are you asking me whether I’ll consider your sister as my girlfriend?”

Hyoyeon nodded. Soo Young was taken aback but he gave his honest opinion.

“I’m not sure if I’m the guy but if there’s a romantic interest between us, I don’t mind giving it a try.”

“REALLY?!”

“Ya, are you trying to matchmake us?!”

“My sister has been a lesbian for the longest time. I’m just asking. If a guy like you can consider, I’m sure she will find some guy who can love her unconditionally.”

Soo Young smiled sincerely.

“I’m sure she will find someone like that. Don’t worry so much; your sister’s gorgeous. If it’s fated, she will marry a guy who’s going to love her well.”

-