Chapter 8

The Neighbours

“Okay, let me get this right. Both of you are of the same age but you were born at the beginning of the year and this feminine boy here was born at the end of the year?”

Soo Young was digesting the information given by Taeyeon. Taeyeon explained to him that her little brother, Hyoyeon was the same age as her.

“Yeah, you can say that. Just put it this way, my parents were just too eager to have another child.”

“That’s interesting. And they had both of you on the same year. Nobody can hit such jackpot accurately!”

“My father was just too awesome!”

Soo Young shot a look at Hyoyeon who was munching on Soo Young’s chips. He was complaining hungry earlier on. Taeyeon nudged her little brother.

“Soo Young, you’re not freaking out right?”

“Huh? Why would I do that? But I’m just curious. Your name sounded more like a boy while his name was undeniable a female name. Your parents messed up again?”

“Nah, when my mother was pregnant with Noona, she ate a lot and her stomach was rather huge so my father thought they would be having a boy. So he picked out Taeyeon for the baby but Taeyeon turned out to be a girl.”

“Uh huh.”

“And when my mom was pregnant with me, I was apparently small and didn’t eat much. So they thought they would have another girl and chose Hyoyeon. Well, surprise; surprise, the baby came out with a little and was totally a boy.”

“Well, not with those feminine features of yours.”

“I LOOK LIKE MY MOTHER! DO YOU HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THAT?!”

“Ah, so Taeyeon looks like your father?”

Taeyeon nodded. Soo Young chuckled softly. He was amused by Hyoyeon actually.

“I’m sorry, my brother had to drop a bomb here and then accused you of sleeping with me.”

Hyoyeon looked away; pretending not to hear anything.

“Nah, it’s alright. He’s being protective. I’d have the same idea if my sister is with some guy.”

“See! I told you I was just a typical guy!”

“Shut up, Hyoyeon. What are you doing here anyway?”

Taeyeon finally had the time to ask that question to him. She wanted to since just now before the madness began.

“I have a job here.”

“Seriously? You finally decided to take up the offer?”

“Yeah, he kept blabbering that I would do well for his new idol group. He wanted me to be their choreographer.”

Soo Young turned to look at the siblings.

“You’re a choreographer?”

“Yeah, I used to teach at a school in our hometown. Dad kicked me out of the house and asked me to live like my Noona.”

“Dad kicked you out?!”

“Dad favours you more, okay?”

“Don’t be an idiot. He doted on you the most when we were younger.”

“That changed after his daughter became a veterinarian and the whole hometown was proud of her.”

“Aww, you’re jealous.”

“I’m not. Well, I need to move out anyway. Dad and Mom acted weirdly these few days. They were having quickies all over the house. I stumbled upon them all the time.”

Soo Young burst out in laughter while Taeyeon was clearly embarrassed by that revelation.

“YA! Can you be more discreet? Soo Young doesn’t know our parents!”

“I’m just preparing you in case Mom drops the bomb and announce that she’s pregnant.”

“That could not happen!”

“It will if you do it like bunnies.”

“Kim Hyoyeon, enough of information. You just don’t know how to skim through information that are required to be kept hush!”

“You should know me. You can stop me.”

“I will!”

Taeyeon stuffed a French loaf into his mouth; Hyoyeon couldn’t talk after that. He was too busy munching on the bread. She turned to Soo Young.

“I’m so sorry. My stupid brother talks too much.”

“It’s alright. I know how he feels. I once stumbled upon my parents and you think you could get weird and awkward but as a boy, you would just wonder how it feels.”

Taeyeon rolled her eyes. Hyoyeon was already doing high five with Soo Young.

“Boys are boys. They are just so like that!”

Soo Young grinned. Taeyeon managed to smack him on his back and both of them went back to their cooking. Hyoyeon was sitting in the living room; watching some cartoons. But he took a couple of glances at his sister who was full of smiles.

He smiled as well.

“Noona, you like him don’t you?”

He then turned into a Cheshire cat and turned back to his cartoons.

-

Jessica was driving in a car full of clowns which unfortunately turned out to be her siblings. They were extremely noisy. Krystal just had to provoke her brother.

“Oppa, oppa!”

“Can you shut up for just a second?”

“I’m going to tell Mom!”

“I’m going to tell Mom that you’re killing me softly.”

“You’re my favourite brother!”

“You only have one brother!”

“Oh, that’s right. OPPPAAAAA!”

“Oh my dear god!”

Jessica was grinning to herself. J-Hope was not related by blood but she cares for him as much as her parents were. They grew up together. She remembered her parents brought J-Hope home one day. He was a skinny boy. Jessica wasn’t thrilled at first but when she realized having a little brother was quite fun; especially when she could bully him and he wouldn’t retaliate.

But that changed when they were in their teens. He was called J-Hope because of his love for hip-hop. Jessica loves to watch people dance and her pesky little brother was part of this break-dance group. She was impressed and they grew closer.

“Noona, are you as crazy as this little retard here? Why are you smiling to yourself amidst the chaos?”

Krystal hammered him on his head.

“Ow?!”

“You call me retard!”

“Okay, okay both of you stop it! You’re giving me a headache.”

Krystal immediately stopped. J-Hope stuck his tongue out at her. A loud smack could be heard.  Someone was wincing in pain.

“Krystal Jung, stop hitting your brother!”

“Noona, the two of you are the bosses of my life. After you left the house, this little retard took over your role.”

“Stop calling me little retard!”

“It’s endearing!”

Jessica gave up. She rolled her eyes at them but she felt blessed to have her crazy siblings with her. She missed them like crazy.

-

“We’ve reached.”

Jessica announced and the two kids dashed out from her car. She felt like throwing her arm at them.

“TAKE YOUR LUGGAGE!”

“OKAY!”

“OPPA, TAKE IT FOR ME!”

“YA! YOU LAZY RETARD!”

“SHUT UP!”

But J-Hope grabbed Krystal’s luggage anyway. It was the man’s job anyway. Jessica gave him a hand.

“Thanks, Noona.”

“You’re screaming bloody hell at her but yet you carried her bag without complaining.”

“It’s the big brother’s job anyway. I’ve been carrying her luggage since we got on the plane from LA.”

“You know, you look very intimidating with your hip hop stuff but you’re such a softie at heart.”

Jessica pinched his cheeks which made him blushed.

“Noona, we’re in the public!”

“What? I cannot pinch my baby brother?!”

“I’m not exactly a baby now!”

“You just turned 20. You’re just few months older than Krystal.”

“But still, I’m not a baby!”

“Fine, fine. Jung Hoseok is a grown up man now.”

“Yes I am.”

“But he’s still a little baby boy in my eyes.”

“Noona!”

“Okay, okay. You’re a big man now. Come on, Krystal has disappeared. She’s going to jump on your Taeyeon noona if we don’t hurry.”

-

Jessica was puzzled to find the house empty. The two kids were already running around the home; well J-Hope threw Krystal’s luggage on the floor and it hit the girl’s feet. So he was terrorized with the girl chasing him with her sister’s umbrella.  Jessica ignored them. She took her phone and dialled Taeyeon’s number. The lady picked up almost immediately.

“Ya, where are you?”

“Oh? You’re home? What the hell is that?”

Taeyeon could hear J-Hope’s screams when Krystal swung her umbrella at him.

“My siblings are here. We’re at home now. You’re still shopping now?”

“No, I’m actually at the neighbours’ place.”

“Huh? What?”

“Come out of the house and you can see me.”

Jessica’s eyebrows furrowed together but nevertheless went out her house. She was stunned to find Taeyeon at the neighbours’ place – with that skinny imbecile man standing beside her.

“What the are you doing there?”

“He’s cooking for us.”

“That jerk is cooking for you?!”

“Excuse me, I can see and hear you from right here!”

Soo Young was staring at Jessica who was already throwing daggers at him since just now.

“Did you kidnap her?!”

“Why would I do that?”

“Jessica ah, he’s just being nice. He cooks for us as a form of an apology.”

“Are you kidding me?”

“Taeyeon noona, I should have put in the cucumbers for her!”

“NOONA?!”

“Okay, enough the two of you. Jessica Jung, I’m coming over. I’ll explain to you.”

Suddenly two idiots ran out of Jessica’s apartment and they saw Taeyeon. They greeted her quickly.

“Taeyeon noona!”

“J-Hope? Oh, Krystal’s here too.”

“Hi unnie!”

Krystal noticed Soo Young.

“Is he your boyfriend?”

Soo Young was amused and Taeyeon shook her head.

“No, he’s not. He’s our new neighbour. Wait, I need to look for someone.”

“I’m here, Noona!”

“KIM HYOYEON?!”

“Yes, who’s calling? OMO! KRYSTAL! J-HOPE! What’s up!?”

“HYUNG!”

“What’s this? Happy Family reunion?!”

Jessica was surprised to find Hyoyeon there; hugging her younger siblings. Soo Young just kept quiet; he wasn’t too sure what to say either. Furthermore the witch was here. He better shut his mouth. But not for long; Jessica noticed her heels and shoes were completely messed up.

“WHAT ON EARTH!”

“Okay, that’s my cue to run off.”

Soo Young whispered to Taeyeon and went back into his house. Taeyeon was amused.

“KIM TAEYEON! WHO DID THIS?!”

“How earth I know? I have been busy.”

“URGH! VIDEO WHERE IS THAT VIDEO?!”

Jessica ran back into Tiffany’s apartment and replayed the video. Taeyeon was counting down when she saw Jessica screaming at the top of her lungs.

“SKINNY JERK! YOU’RE SO GOING TO DIE TODAY!”

A war has begun.

-

Yul was making way up to his apartment. He took Seohyun out to buy her books and then sent her home. His step mother offered him to stay for dinner but he declined. Soo Young had messaged earlier on that he was expecting both him and Yoong home for dinner.

Yul was tired. He couldn’t stop worrying about his father and his older step brother. Well, Yul was his parent’s flesh and blood. Apparently, his mother was pregnant with someone other man’s baby when she married to his father. But the old man was generous enough to raise the child like his own until Yul came along. He favours his own son.

Yul grew up happily until his mother passed away after a long battle with cancer. He was the exactly replica of his mother – a soft and gentle boy. Unlike his older brother, Yul was more reserved and definitely not the popular one between the two. But he didn’t care much. His older brother didn’t really care about him either. He was spoilt by his late mother.

But after his mother’s demise, his father started to get strict with the older boy. He was often scolded and punished for everything he did to Yul. Yul was forgiving but not his father. Even his own Uncle Sang Woo often took Yul’s side but that was not what his late mother wanted. He could still remember his mother’s words.

“Look after your older brother for me, Yul. I know he’s going to clash with your father after I’m gone. Your father will give up on him. But please Yul, don’t give up on him. No matter what, he’s still your half brother.”

Yul promised his mother that he would. So he would keep that promise but now he was sandwiched in between. He cares about his father and his brother but why couldn’t they live together?

He sighed as he waited for the lift. He got in and soon he was caught in his own deep thoughts. He didn’t want his brother to hate him further. But his thoughts were soon disrupted when a shoe came flying into his face once the lift opened.

It hit him right in the middle of his face. Yul fell to the ground.

“OH MY GOD!”

“JESSICA! WHAT DID YOU JUST DO?!”

“YUL! ARE YOU OKAY?!”

Jessica Jung aimed at Soo Young; that guy ducked and so Yul was the victim. He concussed for a second; leaving Jessica panic for a while.

-

“You’re so in a hot soup!”

“Shut up!”

“You hurt my brother!”

“What?!”

“You threw the shoe at his face!”

“I was aiming it for you! Why did you avoid it?”

“Are you insane? Do you think I would still stand there and let it hit me?!”

“Ya, can the two of you keep quiet? I think he’s coming around.”

Yul heard voices around him but he wasn’t too sure if he was still alive. His nose was hurting for a bit but he slowly opened his eyes. He saw faces peering over him. It made him even giddier.

“What happened?”

“Yul! Are you alright? This stupid woman threw a boot at your face!”

“What stupid woman?”

He saw Soo Young; then he slowly tried to recognize the faces. He couldn’t recognize three of them but the moment Jessica’s face came to his sight; he blushed immediately.

“Hey, are you alright?”

Jessica’s voice boomed in his ears. She was like an angel.

“Yeah, I think I’m okay.”

“Can you sit up?”

“I need help.”

“Here, let me help you.”

Jessica stretched her hands out and held Yul’s arm and waist. The guy’s heart was crashing against his chest. Jessica’s touch was gentle and perfect.

“Yul, are you alright? Do you want to sue her?”

“Why? What did she do?”

“She threw the shoe at you!”

Jessica glared at Soo Young which made the guy cringed. He hid behind Taeyeon.

“If you didn’t mess up my shoes, I wont be throwing fits and shoes at you!”

“You tried to kill me with the ball of sock!”

“That was days ago! You’re so childish!”

Yul watched as Jessica tried to reach out to Soo Young but some unknown people were pulling her back. Yul was frowning away.

“I recognized Taeyeon-shi and Jessica-shi. But these kids are...?”

“KIDS?!”

“Krystal Jung, shut up.”

“He’s calling us KIDS!”

“You are; technically.”

“But Hyoyeon oppa is not! He’s 24!”

“Shut up. He doesn’t know us! And Hyoyeon hyung is not even offended.”

“Well that’s because he’s a kid himself.”

“Taeyeon noona!”

Yul was still as confused. He stared at them. Taeyeon could see his confusing clouds were hovering above his head. She offered to explain.

“Yul-shi, these are our siblings. This is my brother, Hyoyeon and the other two are Jessica’s younger siblings, J-Hope and Krystal.”

“Oh, I’m sorry. I didn’t know.”

Yul was apologetic.

“It’s okay, you don’t have to know them for now. Is your nose still hurting?”

Jessica was particularly concerned. Her eyes was expressing clearly that she was worried.  Yul was taken aback but he tried to hide his embarrassment. He nodded.

“Wait, why are you so gentle with him?”

Soo Young had to spoil the mood.

“He’s nice. You’re incorrigible.”

“I’ll take it as a compliment then.”

“Okay, let’s leave Yul-shi alone. The two of you will just make him having more headache than ever. We will call you once dinner is ready, okay?”

Taeyeon was smiling at him.

“Oh? We’re eating together?”

“I’m cooking, bro!”

“You? You know I don’t eat meat, right?”

“Yes, Yul- Goat. I know. Don’t worry; you’ll be having salad today.”

Soo Young smirked when Yul rolled his eyes at him. But Yul retaliated well.

“Thanks, Giraffe omma.”

“SHUT UP!”

Yul chuckled softly as Jessica pulled Soo Young out of the room. It was finally quiet.

-

“What is Taeyeon doing? Why are we having dinner at the neighbours’ place?”

Tiffany was puzzled when Taeyeon told her to come over to Soo Young’s apartment. She was parking her car when she received the message. She took out her handbag and her laptop bag before proceeding to the lift. Just then, someone familiar came into sight. She smiled.

“Hi, you’re Jessica-shi’s roommate, right?”

“Yes I am.”

“Tiffany?”

“Yes, I’m Tiffany.”

“You just got home from work?”

“Yeah, you?”

“I bought some wine. I heard you girls are eating at our place.”

“Oh? Who told you that?”

“Soo Young sent us a message. Apparently he’s cooking for us.”

“Soo Young-shi cooks?”

“Yes, he’s a little feminine compared to us.”

Tiffany giggled. Yoong was really smooth with his words. It was no wonder Jessica’s crazy over him. Tiffany finally saw his muscular chest in that white sleeveless shirt. He does look good.

“You look good.”

“Hmm?”

“You’re quite muscular.”

“Ah, my profession needs me to be muscular.”

“Oh?”

“I’m a professional boxer.”

“Ah, that explains your body.”

Yoong nodded. He was as gentleman as Yul. He waited for the lift to open and held the door.

“Ladies first.”

“Thanks.”

“It’s my pleasure.”

Yoong gave her an impish smile.

“No wonder Jessica’s ovaries burst. This guy is sure charming in his own ways.”

Tiffany thought to herself.

-

Dinner was almost unbelievable. Tiffany was surprised to find the siblings of her best friends were here – all of them were there. Yul gave her a shy smile and Tiffany returned it. She chose to sit beside her and Yoong was sitting opposite her. Jessica was next to him.

“Okay, wait. What’s the occasion with the wine?”

Soo Young was looking over at Yoong.

“You told me we’re having dinner with the ladies. It would be weird if we’re not celebrating it with wine.”

“What’s there to celebrate? This witch almost killed me and threw a boot at Yul’s face.”

“I’m fine.”

Yul retorted. Soo Young threw him a disapproving look.

“What? I’m really fine. It was your fault that she had to resort to throw that shoe. Who asked you to mess up with her stuff?”

Yul rebutted.

“You messed up with people’s stuff? What are you, hyung?!”

“I was taking revenge. Fine, I was childish.”

Jessica gloated over it and Soo Young was clearly infuriated. But Taeyeon was there beside him. She put in some good words for him.

“Well he’s sorry. That’s why he’s cooking tonight.”

“Are you sure it’s edible?”

“You know what, I should have added cucumbers just to irk you.”

Jessica glared at him.

“And why on earth are you allergic to cucumbers for? They are not even animals. They are vegetables!”

“I’m allergic to you too.”

“That’s why you’re sitting there and I’m staying here; next to Taeyeon.”

“Are you using Taeyeon as your shield?!”

“You wouldn’t hurt her, right?”

“WHY SHOULD I?!”

“Fine, I’ll stay close to her.”

Tiffany was tickled so was Yul and Yoong. The siblings were quiet; but they were equally amused as well. Hyoyeon saw his red-faced sister was clearly enjoying this too.

“Okay, let’s not fight over food. It’s not really good.”

“Yeah, Yul’s right. Settle down and eat shall we?”

The dinner was peaceful except with the occasional glaring and staring between the witch and the giraffe. The rest enjoyed the dinner; they were amazed with Soo Young’s culinary skills. Even Jessica had to admit it was good.

“Fine, you’re a good cook. I’ll give you that credit.”

“So am I forgiven?”

“What?”

“Taeyeon said you will forgive me if I cook for you.”

Jessica turned to Taeyeon; the other lady shrugged her shoulders. Tiffany smiled and then patted on Jessica’s shoulders.

“You know; these guys are fine as they are. Let’s not make enemies. Soo Young’s really sorry; isn’t he?”

Soo Young nodded his head like a little child. Taeyeon found him cute and Hyoyeon once again caught his sister’s red cheeks. He was going to tell his mother that his sister might have found her man.

“Fine, I’ll forgive you on my friends’ account.”

“Thank you!”

“But you have to rearrange my shoes!”

“What? Why should I do that?”

“You messed them up!”

“It’s an act of revenge!”

“Never mind, I’ll do it.”

Everyone turned to Yul. He was looking at them.

“What? I just don’t want them to quarrel again. My headache is coming.”

He stared at Soo Young.

“Fine, I’ll help you. Witch, you win!”

Jessica was surprised at Yul’s sudden suggestion but she was convinced that the guys were fine. She smiled at Yul and then turned to Yoong. He was entertaining her siblings. She overheard him talking to them.

“Hyung, you’re a boxer?!”

“Yes, I am.”

“Cool!”

“Your arms are not as huge as I thought.”

“I’m a lightweight boxer.”

“Oh, thank goodness! You’ll look weird if your muscles are bulging out or something.”

Krystal was hesitant to touch them but J-Hope was already caressing Yoong’s biceps. Jessica was jealous. But she knew it was crazy for her to feel that way.

“Hyung, can I watch you practice one day?”

“I thought you hate me?”

“What? About just now, I apologize. I thought you’re my sister’s boyfriend.”

“Oh? So you’re protective of her?”

“Someone used to break her heart and she was in depression. I promised myself that I’ll protect her.”

“Ah, you’re such a nice guy. I’m sure she will find someone who’ll love her unconditionally.”

“I hope so.”

“She will. She has a heart of gold.”

“How did you know?”

“I just feel that she is. She will make a perfect wife so I’m sure God will find her a good husband.”

Jessica’s heart skipped a beat.  Yoong was just so thoughtful like that.

-