Chapter 2

The Neighbours

“I cannot take it anymore!”

“Choi Soo Young, stop whining! You’re only carrying boxes of books!”

“I’m not as strong as you or Yoong!”

“Shut up and move your !”

“YA! The cupboard is not getting any lighter!”

“ARGHHHHHHHHHH! WHY ON SO MANY DAYS, THE LIFT HAD TO BREAK DOWN TODAY?!”

“SHUT UP AND MOVE ON! YOONG’S DYING BEHIND YOU WITH THE HUGE CUPBOARD!”

Soo Young grudgingly dragged his feet up the stairs; Yoong was struggling so much so he put down his boxes and helped to balance the cupboard.

“Whose big cupboard is this?”

“Yul Hyung.”

“WHY ISN’T HE CARRYING IT?”

“Because I’m carrying your stupid keyboard!”

“Oh.”

Yul ran down the stairs and helped the two other guys with the cupboard. It was already empty but it was made of rosewood. So it was particularly heavy.

“Why do you still keep this cupboard, may I ask?”

“It’s my late grandmother’s cupboard. My mom insisted that I have it.”

“You could throw it away.”

“You’re not the sentimental kind aren’t you?”

“So you’re telling me you would cry on sappy movies?”

“HYUNG! IT’S NOT GETTING ANY LIGHTER!”

Yoong was holding the cupboard from the back while the two jokers were at the front. They were still squabbling; Yoong had the urge to throw this cupboard at them.

“Yoong, why did you invite this to stay with us?”

“The rent costs a bomb. Soo Young hyung’s share could help us a lot!”

“Am I not welcome now?”

“No, I’m just saying!”

“YA! CAN WE FIGHT THIS OUTSIDE LATER? I’M GOING TO DIE SOON!”

Yoong finally burst and two guys knew better not to provoke the youngest in the group. They might get beaten up if not careful. Yoong’s a professional boxer. They finally reached to their apartment. Yoong’s face was completely red; he had the heaviest role.

“Yoong, why don’t you take a rest? I’ll continue the rest.”

“Eh?”

“Yeah, I’ll help Yul.”

“Are you sure? There’s a washing machine and refrigerator downstairs waiting to be carried up.”

Soo Young was appalled.

“That rusty old refrigerator is coming with us too?!”

“HEY! That’s my mother’s old fridge!”

“Are you rag old bone man, Kwon Yul?!”

“I told him to leave it. He said that thing could still work. He refuses to give up on it.”

Yul rolled his eyes when Yoong told on him. Soo Young stared at Yul with his big eyes.

“What?”

“I’m not going to bring that thing up into this place!”

“I cannot carry it on my own!”

“We will play a game. If you lose, you ditch it.”

“And if I win?”

“I’ll let you keep it.”

“Deal! What game are we playing?”

So the two guys decided to play poker game. Yoong shook his head. He went downstairs to pick up his own boxes; leaving his hyungs to decide. He agreed with Soo Young. That old fridge had to go.

“Okay, just once. You lose, ditch it.”

“Fine!”

It didn’t take long. Soo Young won it fairly.

“Damn it!”

“That thing has to go!”

“Let me say goodbye to it first.”

“Are you ing kidding me, Kwon Yul? What are you?!”

“Shut up.”

“You’re crazy. I’m outta here.”

Yoong was already carrying boxes of stuff in his arms. He looked at Soo Young.

“What’s the verdict?”

“That thing is not entering our apartment.”

“Oh cool!”

“But your hyung wants to say goodbye to it.”

Yoong frowned.

“Yes, I was doing that too. Your Yul hyung is insane, I tell you.”

“He’s just sentimental. He’s a song writer just like you.”

“I’m a producer. He’s too sentimental for my liking. Anyway, I’m going to carry the remaining boxes. Let’s leave the washing machine to the last.”

“Okay.”

So the three guys quietly moving the boxes up and down; they were exhausted but particularly upbeat about the new apartment. They wanted to have a place of their own; Yoong wanted to have his own space. The new apartment has 3 rooms – enough for the three of them. Unlike before, he had to share with Yul.

Yul did his part and discarded the old fridge at the dumpster. He was feeling upset after that which Soo Young offered to buy chicken to cheer him up.

“I don’t eat chicken!”

“You’re kidding me. You don’t do fried chicken?!”

“No, I’m a salad person.”

“Fine, I’ll get coleslaw!”

Soo Young threw his hands up in the air; Yul was driving him crazy. Yoong chuckled to himself. He was going to enjoy this lot especially with Yul and Soo Young who seemed to be at two extreme ends. He sat on the sofa and pulled out the tab from the beer can. Yul was watching him.

“You’re drinking?”

“Hyung, give me a break.”

“It’s bad for health.”

“I know. It’s just one can. I promise.”

“We’re going to celebrate tonight. Will this overshoot your limit?”

Yoong looked on.

“I’ll drink soda later.”

“Are you sure? Soo Young will kill you.”

“I rather him kill me than you harping on my back.”

“Am I difficult to live in?”

“Not really, you’re just too uptight.”

“I think Seohyun ruined me.”

“You’re blaming on your step sister?”

“She has been like that since we were kids!”

“You’re crazy, hyung. Don’t worry; I won’t drink so much. I promise, okay?”

“Okay.”

Yul disappeared back into his room and Yoong looked on. He wondered why he could survive for two years with Yul. Soo Young returned shortly. He bought just one bucket.

“Just one?”

“Yul is not going to eat. And you’re not eating oily stuff because of your upcoming competition. That’s left with me. I bought you lasagne though. Is that okay?”

“Hyung, you know me the best!”

“Where’s that nerd?”

“He’s in the room. He’s upset I’m drinking beer at 3pm in the afternoon.”

“Why are we friends with him again?”

“Hyung, he’s weird but he means no harm.”

“That’s why I never shy away from him. He’s a good lyricist but he’s driving me crazy with his health bonanza!”

Yoong laughed as Soo Young made his way to the kitchen. He met Soo Young at a club one night. He was hanging out with another group of friends when he saw Soo Young. That guy was insanely good with his musical skills. Yoong was awed by his drum playing. It was pretty awesome.

They soon got close and Soo Young stuck to him ever since. Yul knew him since they were in kindergarten. Yul was older by a year so he took upon himself to look out for Yoong. But he didn’t have to. Yul was bullied more often than Yoong and the younger boy protected him throughout their schooling days.

“Okay, let’s eat! Kwon Yul, your vegetables are on the table!”

Yul came out from the room.

“Mehh mehh mehhh~”

“Shut up!”

“The goat is coming!”

Yul threw his dumb bells at Soo Young as the fella yelped in agony.

“OH MY GOD! YOU WANT TO KILL ME?!”

“You’re insulting me!”

“What?!”

“What’s with the goat’s sounds?!”

“MEHHH MEHHH!”

“ARGHHH!”

Yoong rolled his eyes. He was giving up on his two older hyungs. He bit into his lasagne watching the two guys arguing with each other.