Chapter 22

The Neighbours

“Miss Jung, do you have anything else?”

Jessica turned to look at Luna who was already packing up her stuff. She turned to the clock on the wall. It was already 6.15pm.

“You can go now, Luna. I don’t have any more schedules right?”

“No, Miss Jung. I’ll be leaving then.”

“Take care.”

Luna nodded and left Jessica alone in her office. Jessica leaned against her chair as she looked out of her window behind her. Her office was located on the 18th floor. So the view from her office was beautiful. Jessica’s mind was in knots. She could never forget her first visit to Yoong’s mother.

“I told you so many times that I really hate your choice of career! I hate your late father because of this! He left us when you were just so young. I disagreed with him when he wanted you to continue his legacy. Why can’t you find a better job?”

“Omma, I love boxing. Dad taught me a lot of things about boxing. It’s not only a sport but it’s something that gives me a chance to control my inner self. It taught me about self-respect and self-esteem.”

“But what it did to your father?”

“Omma, Dad was a street boxer but I’m a professional boxer. I’m representing our country as a sport. I won’t get killed. I promise you.”

“You’re this stubborn, Yoong. You’ll never listen to me! Why did you come back? Didn’t I tell you that I never want to see you again!?”

Jessica could see her boyfriend was crumbling into pieces. She couldn’t believe that his own mother refuses to forgive him.

“Auntie, maybe we should calm down and try to look at things differently.”

“You’re his girlfriend?”

“Yes, Auntie.”

“Then why did you allow him to be a boxer? You should have encouraged him to find a better job. Boxing is not a career!”

“I rather let him do what he loves to do. He took his father as his role model. Your late husband taught Yoong everything about self-righteous.”

“But he was killed in the end. I could never forget how he died. Seeing your husband sparred on that bloody box was torturing enough. I saw him died with my own eyes. I could never watch my son dying the same way as he did.”

“Death is all in the hands of God. You’re trapped in your late husband’s shadow that you thought it would happen again with Yoong. Yoong loves you. Can’t you see that part of him?”

“Who the hell are you to talk to me like that?!”

“I love Yoong so much that it drives me insane. I want to see him happy. I want to see him smiling. But each time we talk about you, Yoong’s shining smile fades immediately. He misses you. He wants to be with you. He wants to take care of you. So why must you keep pushing your only child away?”

Yoong’s mother sank to the floor with tears flowing freely. She didn’t want to do this but she was afraid to lose her only son to boxing.

“I can accept him if he stops becoming a boxer. I don’t care if he’s professional or not. The fact that the bloody sport killed the one I love; I’m going to hate it for the rest of my life! And if my only son refuses to listen to me, then I’ll be better off without a son!”

Jessica massaged her temples. Yoong left his mother’s place with a broken heart. He was in a crying mess when Jessica took him home. She even stayed with him in his room; J-Hope slept at his sister’s room instead.

He was quiet ever since. Jessica regretted bringing him to meet his mother. She took her phone and dialled for his number. He answered within seconds.

“Hi Baby.”

“Where are you, sweetie?”

“I just finished training.”

“Are you almost done?”

“Yeah, where are you?”

“I’m at the office. I miss you.”

She could hear him chuckling softly. She was glad to hear that he could still laugh at least.

“I miss you too. I’m sorry I didn’t contact you the whole day. I was busy with my training.”

“I understand. I’m hungry now. Do you want to meet up with me?”

“Sure, do you want me to pick you up?”

“It’s okay. You take a shower first. I’ll pick you up instead.”

“Okay, love. I’ll see you.”

“Okay baby.”

“Oh by the way, I love you, Jessica.”

Jessica smiled widely. She didn’t choose the wrong man.

“I love you too, Im Yoong.”

The couple was too in love.

-

Jessica managed to drop by at Tiffany’s office. She was busy as usual. She looked up and surprised to find Jessica at her office. Since Jessica’s dating Yoong, she hardly visits her anymore.

“You still remember me?”

“What do you mean by that?”

“Since Yoong came into your life, you hardly visit me at the office.”

“I’ll see you at home all the time.”

“Well, you used to pick me up after work.”

“Please don’t tell me you’re jealous.”

“I am. I’m your best friend.”

“Aww.”

Jessica leaned closer and hugged Tiffany. The lady smiled widely before returning Jessica’s hug with a peck on her cheek.

“I was just joking actually. What are you doing here?”

“I’m going out for dinner with Yoong. Do you want anything?”

“It’s okay. Yul is coming over to pick me up.”

“Oh?”

Jessica was grinning like a Cheshire cat.

“He’s coming over huh?”

“Yes, why?”

“Are you two getting serious?”

Tiffany shrugged her shoulders.

“We’re taking things slow.”

“That’s great to know. Oh wait, do you want to double date?”

Tiffany looked up and bit her lower lip. She seemed nervous about Jessica’s suggestion. She knew about Yul’s crush on her.

“You have to ask Yul.”

“Why can’t you ask him?”

“I think he’s cooking tonight.”

“Shucks, then I shall not ask him. You can have him all for yourself. I’m sure you’ll prefer that.”

Tiffany rolled her eyes before turning back to her documents. Jessica sat on the sofa. She noticed Nichkun was looking into Tiffany’s room. She rolled her eyes.

“Does that jerk know you’re dating Yul?”

Tiffany nodded.

“Did he disturb you?”

“Suho has been in the room for the whole afternoon. And Yul’s always here to pick me up for lunch. I hardly talk to Nichkun anymore. And Suzy’s back so he’s busy with her now.”

“Oh, that’s good! But why does he keep looking into your room?”

Tiffany looked up to find Nichkun staring at her. It didn’t scare her anymore. She just turned away and shrugged her shoulders.

“Let him be. I don’t have anything to do with him anymore.”

Jessica smiled. Tiffany has finally moved on. The two best friends talked for a bit more before Yul appeared at the doorstep. He was surprised to find Jessica there too.

“Hi Yul!”

“Er, hi.”

“Coming for Tiffany?”

“Er, yeah. What are you doing here, Jessica-shi?”

“Just call me Jessica will do. I just wanted to spend some time with Tiffany.”

“Oh, erm, I’m here to pick her up.”

“Ah, no worries. I’m on my way to meet Yoong anyway. I’ll see you.”

Yul nodded and made way for Jessica to leave the room. Tiffany was watching him all the time; and she was surprised when Yul’s gaze wasn’t lingering at Jessica anymore. He was staring at her instead.

“Why are you watching me like that?”

“Huh?”

“You’re worried about me and Jessica?”

“No.”

Tiffany quickly looked away but she was already blushing. Yul grinned before making his way towards her table. Tiffany refused to look at him; she was embarrassed to be caught green with jealousy.

“You’re jealous.”

“Shut up.”

“I told you before. I’m just going to concentrate on you.”

“I’m sorry; I’m such a jealous freak.”

“It’s okay; I kinda like it.”

Tiffany finally turned and a big fat grin was plastered on his face. Tiffany rolled her eyes.

“You’re enjoying this much?”

“Yes I do. You’re so cute when you’re jealous.”

“You can go dinner by yourself.”

“Aww, come on! I was just joking.”

Yul suddenly put his arms across Tiffany from behind her and then planted a soft peck on her right cheek; the lady was blushing so much.

“I’m sorry.”

He whispered softly. Tiffany turned to look at him. His smile was mesmerizing.

“You’re forgiven.”

“Hee, I’m hungry now. Can we leave now?”

“Sure, I’ll bring my work back.”

“I’ll cook tonight. So you can finish your work while I’m cooking.”

Tiffany felt really blessed to have a guy like Yul. He helped her with her document bag and took her hand tightly. They walked past Nichkun’s room. The latter was glaring at them.

But Tiffany wasn’t afraid anymore. Her man was next beside her; protecting her.

-

Soo Young found himself outside Taeyeon’s animal clinic. He stood across the street; watching from a distance. He smiled when he saw Taeyeon animatedly chatting with the animals. She was forever doing that – he could still remember how she was comforting a rabbit with a chipped nose. Taeyeon was busy and Soo Young didn’t want to disturb her. He just stood there; watching from far. It was good enough for him. But not for long, Taeyeon spotted him. She waved.

“Oh .”

Soo Young couldn’t run when Taeyeon saw him. The lady spoke something with her assistant, Sunmi. She was probably telling her to take over when she made her way out. Soo Young knew she was coming over. He wanted to run but his feet refused to move. They were glued to the ground.

“Soo Young, what are you doing here?”

Taeyeon asked as she approached him. Soo Young gave her a soft smile.

“I was walking past. I saw you talking to your animals. You look like an idiot from here.”

Taeyeon rolled her eyes as she scoffed at him. Soo Young grinned – he misses this so much.

“Why didn’t you come in?”

“You seem busy.”

“Yeah, surprisingly I am today. But we’re closing soon.”

“You’re going to the farms again?”

“Yeah, it’s my weekly routine.”

“Sunmi’s going with you?”

“Nah, she has to rush back.”

“So you’re going alone?”

“Yeah, I can handle it. I’ve done it a couple of times.”

“Oh.”

Soo Young looked on as Taeyeon tied her hair up. She’s really beautiful and Soo Young could feel his heart beating so hard.

“It’s really hot out here. You really don’t want to come inside?”

“I have to go now actually.”

“Oh, okay. I’ll see you then.”

Soo Young nodded and Taeyeon smiled at him before turning back to her clinic. Soo Young stood there like an idiot; he was contemplating if he should follow her to the farm. But the last time he did, he injured himself instead.

He turned around and walked away. But he stopped halfway. His purpose of coming here was to tell her the truth about his feelings. But he had cold feet when she approached him instead. He lost his trail of thoughts of the things he wanted to tell her.

But he couldn’t let her slip away anymore so he turned back. He was determined to talk to her but all of his plans came to a halt. And his heart cracked.

The same guy who sent her home was there; he was standing so close to her. They were intimate. He was hugging her and she allowed him to hold her like that.

“What a creep.”

Soo Young was honestly not thrilled about it. And he was jealous too.

“Why are you holding her so tightly?”

He mumbled as he walked away.

-

“Dinner! Dinner!”

Jessica rolled her eyes. Her boyfriend’s a dork.

“Baby, we’re going for dinner now. Can you stop jumping in your seat?”

“I’m hungryyyyy.”

“I know you are. But there’s a traffic jam here. My car is not a transformer. It couldn’t miraculously change into a plane or something.”

 Yoong’s eyes sparkled. Jessica knew that look.

“Baby, I was just spouting nonsense.”

“No, we should invent such cars!”

“Baby, did the training make you like this?”

Yoong nodded like a pitiful child. He pouted his lips which made Jessica promptly leaped forward and kissed him. The boyfriend was grinning away.

“Did the coach go hard on you?”

“He’s tense up about the competition. My team mates are going crazy too.”

“Poor baby, let’s have a quick dinner and go home early. You need to rest more.”

“Are you going to sleep over at my place?”

“You’re beginning to like it, huh?”

Yoong was smiling away.

“I love lying in your embrace. And your sweet kisses are too addictive.”

Jessica melted.

“You know, I’m so glad that you’re alright now.”

“Why is that?”

“You were upset after we visited your mother.”

Yoong sighed and shrugged his shoulders.

“I was already expecting such treatment from her. She was adamant to make me leave.”

“Your heart must be hurting.”

“Well, it did. But you were there for me. So it was less painful.”

Jessica smiled. Yoong managed to kiss her forehead and then looked deep into her eyes. They somehow ignored the blasting horns from the cars behind them.

They were just too in love with each other.

And Jessica wasn’t complaining either.

-

The sweet smelling aroma from the kitchen was too distracting for Tiffany. She ended up abandoning her work and crept into the kitchen. She wanted to help but her boyfriend was adamant not to let her.

“I’m a woman.”

“And I’m a man. So what’s the argument?”

“I need to do housework too.”

“You don’t have too. Your hands are too delicate for housework.”

Yul kissed her palms before prompting her to sit on the chair instead. Tiffany’s heart swelled with love yet again.

“Do you have to be so sweet?”

“I’ve always been.”

“Thick-skinned.”

Yul stuck his tongue out but nevertheless busied with his hands. He was moving from place to place in his big kitchen. Tiffany realized how playful Yul could get. He was totally different from the first time she met him.

“When are we going to bring Mason home?”

“Our VISAs are in the midst of processing. Once approve, we will leave.”

“Awesome. What should I bring for Mason?”

“You don’t have to bring anything, Yul.”

“I have to! His mother is with me now. I have to buy something for him.”

Tiffany looked up.

“Yul, are you beginning to accept Mason as your son now?”

“Yes I am. I’m involved in the preparations as well. You don’t want me to be involved?”

“No, I don’t mean it that way. But what would your father say?”

Yul burrowed his eyebrows together before taking Tiffany’s hands into his. He looked into her eyes and smiled.

“This is about you; about us. Why does my father has to say something?”

“What if he disapproves of us being together?”

Tiffany’s defence walls were up again. She was feeling insecure. And Yul knew.

“I don’t really care about how he feels or thinks. You have to trust in me; not my father. You’re building your walls around your heart again; are you going to stop me from entering?”

“Yul..”

“Take your time, Tiffany. I’m not rushing. We can take all the time in the world to figure out our future together. Just enjoy this moment, for now.”

“Yul, I’m crazy about you. I love you more and more every single day.”

“I know. And I’m slowly falling in love with you day by day. I want to protect you every day. So don’t worry about anything else. You just need to trust in me and most importantly, trust in love once again.”

Tiffany’s eyes glistened with tears. She pulled him closer and Yul enveloped his arms around her. This couple was just so tender with one another.

-

It was raining heavily and Taeyeon was trapped at the major traffic jam. She was supposed to be on the way home but she was caught instead. There was a huge tree uprooted from the ground and blocked the roadways. The police was trying to remove it and they were taking ages.

“Oh my god, what time am I going to get home tonight?”

She looked at the time. It was close to 11pm now. But she didn’t have much choice. Her stomach was grumbling as well. She hasn’t eaten her dinner yet. Just then her phone rang. She answered callously.

“Hello?”

“Taeyeon?”

Taeyeon was surprised to hear Soo Young’s voice on the other line.

“Hey, Soo Young.”

“It’s raining heavily. I was wondering if you’re home.”

“Oh, I’m still stuck here.”

“Huh? You’re not in Seoul?”

“No, I’m caught in the jam now. There’s this uprooted tree in the middle of the road. The police is taking ages to remove it. Maybe the rain hinders their efforts.”

“Are you alright?”

Taeyeon was taken aback. Soo Young sounded concerned.

“Yeah, I’m fine. I’m just hungry.”

“Huh? You’ve not eaten yet?”

“No, I thought of having my dinner in Seoul. I didn’t think it was this bad.”

Soo Young was quiet for a moment before speaking up again.

“Do you need company?”

“You’re not coming over, right?”

“No, I mean I can keep you company on the phone. Are you on headset?”

“Yeah, I have to. I’m driving you know.”

“Okay, I’ll keep you company this way until you get home.”

“Are you sure? It’s rather late. And you’ve just recovered. I can handle this.”

“Nah, you must be bored. I’ll keep you awake so that you won’t fall asleep over the steering wheel. It’s dangerous. And furthermore, you’re hungry. I can hear your stomach growling.”

Taeyeon was shocked at first but soon realized Soo Young was pulling her leg. She scoffed at him.

“Liar!”

“Hey, you don’t know how loud your stomach growls.”

“Shut up. It’s not that loud!”

There was a loud growling on the background.

“See, your stomach does it again.”

“That was the thunder!!”

“Yeah, it sounds more like that.”

“SHUT UP! JUST SHUT UP!”

And Soo Young really stayed on the phone with Taeyeon until she reached home. He was worried for her safety. But what Taeyeon didn’t expect was seeing him waiting for her at the lift lobby.

“How long have you been waiting here?”

“From the time I called you.”

Taeyeon looked at her watch. It was almost 3 hours since the last time.

“You stood here for 3 hours?!”

“No, obviously not! You think I’m so patient huh?”

“Then you said you did!”

“I went out to get some food for you.”

“Huh?”

“You’re hungry right?”

“Yeah. I am.”

Soo Young took out two brown packages and shoved them into her hands. He then took her bag and other stuff that she was holding on to.

“Let’s get you home. You’re all wet and drenched.”

“Huh?”

“You’ll get sick. Hurry up.”

Soo Young was gently pushing her into the lift. Taeyeon was still taken aback by his sudden kindness. But she loves it. Soo Young’s attention on her was simply tender and loving.

“Are you going to eat with me?”

“Of course! It’s close to supper time!”

“Tsk. I thought you just bought them for me!”

“Good food must be shared!”

Soo Young stuck his tongue out and Taeyeon’s heart was warm. She really liked Soo Young being sweet like this.

-