Chapter 16

The Neighbours

“Soo Young, do you want to stay here or move to Seoul?”

“Huh? I want to be with you!”

“What do you mean by that?”

“Can I move in with you?”

“I’m not your Nanny!”

“But I’m in this state because I helped you.”

Soo Young made a sad face and Taeyeon rolled her eyes.

“Can you stop making that face?”

“:(”

“YA, Choi Soo Young, what do you want me to do?”

“I want to stay with you.”

“I’m staying with two other ladies!”

“I’m just staying next to you. I want you to promise that you’ll take good care of me.”

“Are you kidding me?”

“:(”

Taeyeon threw her hands up in the air. She gave up.

“FINE, fine. You win.”

“Yay!”

Soo Young tried to do a silly dance but he winced immediately.

“Ow.”

“What did I tell you? Stop moving around.”

“Yes Mommy.”

“I’m not your Mommy!”

“I don’t care!”

“YA!”

“:(”

“Oh my god, you’re slowly driving me crazy now!”

Taeyeon was annoyed but Soo Young was enjoying himself.  Taeyeon helped him into her car. The stupid man refused to be admitted into another hospital. He wanted to go home.

“Why don’t we check you into Seoul hospital?”

“NO!”

“What’s wrong?”

“I hate hospitals.”

Taeyeon looked at him deadpan.

“They have a weird smell. And I hate injections the most.”

“Are you gay?”

“No, I’m not! I’m a pure man, okay!?”

“Well, you’re the first MAN that is afraid of injections.”

Soo Young stared at Taeyeon who managed to stick her tongue out.

“You big bully.”

“What?”

“You injured me.”

“Technically it wasn’t me. It was the bull.”

“But I helped you!”

“Are we going through this again?”

“:(”

“Oh my god! Stop making that face!”

“Why? Are you feeling guilty?”

“Do you want me to leave you in the middle of the highway?”

“You dare!”

“Are you challenging me now?”

“:(”

Taeyeon gave up once again. Soo Young was triumphant but Taeyeon wasn’t kidding. She drove to the side of the kerb and got out from the car.

“YA! Where are you going?”

“I’m leaving!”

“You’re going to leave me behind?!”

“YES!”

“OKAY OKAY! I’M SORRY! I WON’T DO IT AGAIN!”

Taeyeon was staring at him.

“You promise?”

“YES!”

“If you disturb me again, what should I do with you?”

“I won’t do it anymoreeee!”

“No, I must make a deal with you!”

“YA! I’m already injured! Are you taking advantage of me!?”

“I’m leaving.”

“OKAY OKAY! I WILL DO EVERYTHING YOU SAY! DON’T LEAVE ME BEHIND!”

“I don’t believe you.”

“I SWEAR WITH MY HEART!”

Taeyeon was grinning away; Soo Young was adorable sometimes. She walked back to the car and got in. Soo Young was rolling his eyes when he saw Taeyeon’s grin.

“Are you that afraid I’d leave you behind?”

Soo Young didn’t reply.

“Soo Young, are you angry?”

“No.”

He pouted his lips. Taeyeon was dying.

“Then why are you pouting your lips?”

“Don’t ever do that.”

“Hmm?”

“Don’t ever leave me behind like this.”

“Why?”

“I was left behind by the road side before when I was younger.”

Taeyeon was surprised. She turned to face him; Soo Young was looking away. But he continued his story.

“Dad used to leave me by the side of the road because I kept annoying my brothers. He left me by the road side for 4 hours before the uncle chauffer came to pick me up.”

“Oh my god, how old was you?”

“I was only 5 years old.”

Taeyeon was shocked.

“That’s why I’m always afraid of being left behind. It was a bad memory.”

Taeyeon felt sorry for Soo Young out of sudden. Soo Young was clearly terrified. Taeyeon didn’t notice it until now. She then leaned closer to Soo Young and wrapped her arms around him.

“I’m sorry. I won’t do it again.”

Soo Young looked at her earnestly.

“I didn’t know.”

“It’s okay. Now I feel stupid.”

“Why?”

“I’m sharing my fears with you. I’m a man. I should be stronger than you.”

Taeyeon chuckled softly.

“You know what, Mr Choi?”

“What?”

“Now I see you like a child.”

“HEY!”

“You are, to a certain extent. You whine so easily.”

“I don’t really whine at girls.”

“Oh really, you’ve been whining to me for the whole time.”

Soo Young was scrutinizing Taeyeon’s face carefully. He didn’t realize how pretty Taeyeon was when she was so close to him. He swallowed hard. Taeyeon, on the other hand, caught his gaze as well. Her eyes diverted to his lips – they were full and perfect.

Without any words, Soo Young was slowly inclining towards Taeyeon. Both of their hearts were beating so fast. Soo Young tilted his head sideways; he wasn’t too sure if he should go for Taeyeon’s lips.

Taeyeon was leaning as well. Their lips were just inches away and Taeyeon was closing her eyes. Her heart felt like it was going to explode in no time.

“PHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!”

The two of them got shocked of their lives. They quickly turned to find a policeman standing in front of them with a whistle in his mouth.

“You’re not allowed to stop here. Please move along.”

“I’m sorry, Sir.”

“Please drive away.”

Taeyeon quickly pulled in the gear and sped off. Soo Young was looking away; both faces were red. They almost kissed.  Both were embarrassed to death.

“WHAT THE HELL JUST HAPPENED?”

Both of them screamed silently in their heads.

-

Jessica was walking beside Yoong. They left with lightness in their hearts when Jean’s parents readily accepted the lady back into their lives. They even offered to be Jean’s unborn child’s god parents. They were on their way to grab a bite since Yoong was complaining hungry earlier on.

The two of them were making their way down the long winding road; Jessica was walking on the outside. The walk was in silence but Jessica was enjoying that quiet moment. She realized how Yoong could easily influence people with good cause. She understood why Jean was regretting leaving him. She could never imagine how she would feel if she had to leave Yoong too.

Suddenly her face turned red. They weren’t even together; she was already afraid of letting him go. Jessica realized she was in a deep . She was falling deeply in love with Yoong. Suddenly, she heard a loud horn and she was stunned when she managed to turn her head.

A speeding car was coming her way at a full speed. Jessica was rooted to the ground; she couldn’t move at all. But she felt someone pulled her along and she fell comfortably on someone’s body. She looked up to find Yoong using his body as a shield. He held her tightly in his arms.

The car zoomed past without stopping. If not for Yoong, she might get knocked down. But the lady was too shocked for words; she just burst into tears immediately.

“Jessica, are you hurt?”

“Yoong..”

“Don’t cry; I’m here. Are you alright?”

She couldn’t reply; she just held on to Yoong tightly. The man held her closely in his embrace. He managed to stand up; pulling Jessica gently with him. He continued to wrap his arms around her protectively.

“I’m sorry; I should have let you walk on the inside.”

“No, Yoong. It’s not your fault.”

Suddenly Yoong planted a soft kiss on Jessica’s forehead. Jessica was stunned. His lips lingered for a quite some time before he moved away. Jessica searched for his eyes; she wanted to know the meaning of his kiss.

“My mom used to kiss me on my forehead when I got afraid or terrified. The kiss always calms me down. I’m sorry; I didn’t mean to kiss you like that but you seemed to have calm down a lot.”

Jessica was still lost for words. The only thing she could remember was – Im Yoong kissed her on her forehead.

-

Yul and Tiffany were making their way to his car. Yul helped her with the files and dumped them into the back seat. He then looked at his watch. It was almost dinner time and he wondered if he should cook.

“Are you heading home for dinner?”

“No, I usually eat out.”

“Oh, do you mind if we eat in?”

“Huh?”

“I mean I can cook for us.”

“Is it too difficult for you?”

“Nah but we have to go to the nearby supermarket to get some ingredients.”

“Oh, I don’t mind helping you with that.”

“Okay then. Let’s go quickly so that we can rush back. Then you can finish with your work while I’m cooking.”

Tiffany smiled. Yul was the sweetest guy. She has never had anyone who put her first; not even Nichkun. It was always them; never her. But not Yul; he put her first in everything he wanted to do.

They were walking towards the nearest supermarket. Yul was pushing the trolley while Tiffany walked closely beside him. They looked like a newly wedded couple.

“So what do you want to eat?”

“Urm, I’m not picky.”

“Well, you prefer meat or fish?”

“I hate fish. I’m scared of the eyes.”

“Seriously? You have the phobia?”

“Yes, I know it’s stupid.”

“Nah, I find it cute.”

“Huh?”

“I just thought your phobia is really cute. We shall skip fish totally. Let’s get some meat.”

Yul was pushing his trolley forward while Tiffany was still staring at his back. She was wondering why this guy was so nice towards her. She remembered him saying that he likes a girl. So why was he being so nice towards her?

“Tiffany? Are you alright?”

“Ah, yes. I’m coming.”

“Are you sick?”

“No, I was just stoning.”

“You must be tired. Do you want to sit inside the trolley?”

Tiffany rolled her eyes at Yul. He was trying to be cute which she thought he was. But she didn’t want to show it out openly.

“Why don’t you get in and I push you around?”

“Aww, are you upset?”

“Shut up.”

“Hee, I’m sorry. Let’s go, the meat section is on the other side.”

Once again Yul grabbed her hand and pulled her along. Tiffany didn’t pull back either. She was slowly enjoying this. They went around the supermarket to get the ingredients. Tiffany finally realized how thoughtful Yul was. He would ask her opinions and put them into his plans.

All of her life – all the men including her father has never put her opinions first. Only Yul did. She started to feel weird inside her heart. It was oozing with warmth whenever Yul flashed his smile at her.

“So, we have done shopping. Now let’s go home.”

“Okay.”

“Here, I’ll carry those shopping bags. You take my car keys.”

Yul shoved the car keys into Tiffany’s hands. They were walking towards the car when an old lady approached them with a basket of flowers. She was looking so fragile. She went up to Yul first.

“Young man, do you want to buy a flower for your beautiful wife here?”

Yul was surprised; Tiffany was slightly blushing. She was about to explain the truth when Yul smiled widely at the old lady.

“Sure, how much does the flower cost?”

“It’s $5 each.”

“Oh, there are 10 of them, right? I’ll get all of them.”

“Are you sure young man?”

“Yes, I’m pretty sure.”

Yul grabbed his money from his pocket and gave to the old lady. She was grateful and Tiffany was loss for words.

“She’s really touched.”

“Huh?”

“Your lovely wife, she is touched.”

Yul then smiled again.

“She’s beautiful, isn’t she?”

The old lady winked and Yul laughed. Tiffany turned to look at Yul. She was astonished when Yul presented the flowers to her.

“For you.”

“Why? Why are you doing this?”

“I don’t know. I just feel like I should be doing this for you. He upset you so much; do you realize you haven’t been smiling ever since you left the office?”

“Huh?”

“I thought the flowers could cheer you up.”

“Yul…”

“The old lady’s right. You’re beautiful.  You’re so beautiful when you smile. Your eye smiles are so perfect. They’re enough to warm up the world.”

Tiffany was melting slowly and she realized she was falling for Yul – her client.

-