Chapter 3

The Neighbours

Soo Young was trying to get the tune in his head out onto his laptop. He was fidgeting about with the keyboard; pressing in between keys. He still couldn’t get the touch. Yul was sitting at the dining table; scribbling on his note pad. Yoong was in the kitchen with his apron; busy making snacks. He needed extra carbohydrates for his upcoming tournament.

“Anyone want some food?”

Soo Young looked up. He dashed for the kitchen; Yul shook his head in dismay.

“What the hell. I’m getting scared of your food intake lately. What the hell with the extra carbohydrates in your diet?”

“I’m getting ready for the tournament. Do you want or not?”

“Hell, yes. I love it when you’re having tournaments. I get to eat OILY FOOD!”

Soo Young purposely enunciated the last few words loud and clear for Yul to hear. The guy just rolled his eyes and turned back to his note pad.

“Yul hyung, I’ve made fish porridge for you. I know you hate oily stuff.”

“It’s bad for health.”

“No, not again!”

“Hyung, it’s okay. I need it.”

“I know, but that skinny guy beside you doesn’t. He will get more cholesterol and die of it.”

“I swear, you’re becoming like your step sister, Seohyun.”

“She has a good point!”

Soo Young rolled his eyes. Yul was going on with his health bonanza.

“He should be a doctor, Yoong.”

Soo Young whispered softly.

“Shut up, hyung. Let him be. Eat up. I’m leaving for my training later.”

“You’re leaving me with him?!”

“If you don’t like it, you can go to your studio.”

Soo Young slapped his forehead with his palm.

“It’s cold and boring there!”

“Then stay at home.”

“You’re leaving me with no choice, right?”

“So you want to follow me?”

“And do training with you? No thanks!”

“Hyung, you’re becoming whiny lately. Did you hurt your head or something?”

“You should know what happened to me.”

“Hyorin is never good for you.”

“Okay, shut up. Just go. I’ll be alive.”

“Yul hyung is not going to eat you up.”

“No, I’ll kill him first before he can do that.”

Yoong gave up. They ate while watching television and Yul took a bowl of the porridge. He sat beside Yoong and the three of them were watching soccer. They were screaming at the top of their voices when their favourite team scored.

“GOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAL!”

The whole house almost flipped upside down.

-

“What the hell was that?”

Tiffany’s bowl of noodles almost toppled over. Taeyeon sat up immediately; she turned to look at Tiffany. Something just vibrated against the four walls.

“How come there are noises from the next door? I thought it was empty all this while?”

“How would I know? I just got back from New York yesterday. Didn’t you see anyone?”

“No, I spent most of my time at my clinic. I just got home today.”

“Ah, yes. You had to deliver baby hippos.”

Tiffany was sarcastic and Taeyeon smiled widely.

“They are the cutest thing ever on earth!”

Tiffany rolled her eyes. Just then, the door was slammed open and the two ladies turned to find the grouchy Jessica has just morphed into HellSica. She stared at her best friends. Tiffany took cover and Taeyeon hid behind the sofa.

“It wasn’t us!”

The hellish tempered lady jerked her head to the side. The wall just vibrated again.

“What the ! Who the hell made such loud noises on a Sunday morning?!”

“We have no idea. Do you remember seeing anyone coming in?”

“I’ve been busy so I didn’t return home.”

“Oh great, the three of us were never at home. Why are we renting this place again?”

“I needed sleep!”

Jessica’s voice boomed across the walls. The so called psychiatrist could get really annoyed if she couldn’t get her sleep.

“I’m going to kill those people next door!”

Jessica dashed for the door and the two ladies tagged along. They didn’t want their friends to be charged for murder.

-

“GOAL!”

CLANK! PIANG!

“What the hell, Soo Young?”

Soo Young was too excited over the third goal and he conveniently bumped his into Yul’s. The bowl was overturned and caused such a mess on the floor.

“Oops.”

Yul rolled his eyes but kept quiet. He took the fallen bowl and went over to the kitchen. Yoong was punching his arms.

“Can you be careful? And why are you dancing around like a monkey?!”

“Our favourite team is going to win the BPL this year!”

“Soo Young, its only 10 am in the morning. Can you just keep it down?”

“What’s wrong with 10 am in the morning? Shouldn’t people be awake by now?”

“It’s Sunday.”

“Oh, to hell with that! Who cares! OLE! OLE!”

Soo Young was prancing up and down while twirling his towel up in the air. Yul returned back to the living room. He almost hammered Soo Young but Yoong pulled him away. Someone was banging on their front door.

“I’ll get it.”

Yoong offered. Yul finally got hold of Soo Young and pinned him to the sofa. He sat on him.

“Yul! Get off me!”

“Shut up!”

The two guys were squabbling yet again but Yoong ignored them. He ran towards the door and opened it up. A lady walked past him quickly. Yoong was stunned.

“Jessica!”

There were two other ladies behind her. They apologised to Yoong quickly.

“I’m sorry.”

“You are?”

“We’re living next door. Our friend’s not in a good mood.”

“Oh, we were too loud?”

“Yes, do you mind if we come in? She might murder someone.”

Suddenly, there was a loud shriek in the living room. Yoong and the two unknown ladies quickly ran in. Soo Young was under someone’s and Yul was looking on; stunned.

“JESSICA!”

One of the ladies quickly rushed to the crazy one. She pulled the lady away; Soo Young almost choked to death.

“I need some sleep. You better keep your asses down!”

“You’re insane! You almost choked me!”

“You deserve it!”

“It’s 10 am in the morning! Shouldn’t you be awake by now?!”

“Hyung!”

Yoong intervened. He shuddered when the mad lady gave him a cold hard stare. He cleared his throat.

“I’m sorry. I apologised on behalf of my friend. I’ll make sure he keeps quiet.”

“Who are you? Are you together with this stupid man?”

“I’m Yoong. He’s Soo Young and the one behind you is Yul. We just moved in. We apologised for the ruckus. We’ll keep it down.”

Jessica was just staring at him; Tiffany and Taeyeon quickly enveloped their arms around her. They needed to calm her down.

“Jessica, he has already apologised. Let’s go okay?”

Jessica didn’t say anything. She just walked out of the apartment; leaving her two poor friends behind. One of them took out her hand and shook Yoong’s hand gently.

“I’m Tiffany. She’s Taeyeon and the murderous one is Jessica. She’s not really a morning person and we apologised for the intrusion.”

“It’s okay. We were in the wrong anyway.”

“Thanks for your understanding. We’ll be going back now.”

Tiffany and Taeyeon quickly bowed and left the apartment. Yul was still stunned; his arms were shaking.

“Hyung, are you alright?”

“That lady..that lady... almost killed Soo Young..”

“What did she do?”

“SHE STUFFED THE BALL OF SOCKS INTO MY MOUTH!”

The victim finally stood up. He almost died. Jessica pushed the socks deep down into his throat.

“Wow, she’s scary.”

“Tell me about it! I almost died!”

“Serves you right. I told you to keep it down, didn’t I?”

“Didn’t you check on the neighbours before moving in?”

“There was nobody next door the last time I came. And when we moved in, they weren’t at home. This is the first day I saw them.”

“God, that chick was insane!”

Yoong chuckled which made Soo Young infuriated even more.

“What?!”

“She’s the only girl who dared to do that to you.”

“Shut up!”

“You really deserve it.”

Soo Young rolled his eyes before turning to look at Yul. He was staring into empty space. Soo Young frowned.

“Why are you staring into blank space, Yul?”

“Hyung, are you alright?”

Yul nodded but his eyes fixed at just one place.

“Ya, what’s wrong with you?”

Soo Young shook his arms but Yul just remained still.

“Oi, you’re scaring me. What happened? Did that scary woman possess you or something?”

Yul shook his head but then mumbled something. Soo Young leaned closer.

“What are you saying? I cannot hear you.”

Yul looked at Soo Young and then to Yoong. He sighed.

“I’m in love.”

“WHAT?!”

Soo Young and Yoong were in disbelief.

-

“Jessica Jung, you almost killed some random guy at his own apartment!”

“He deserved it!”

“Did you give him a chance to explain himself?”

Jessica looked on.

“How did you know he was the noisy one?”

Taeyeon sat on the sofa; Tiffany was putting her palms on her hips. She was embarrassed by Jessica’s sudden outburst with their new neighbours.

“I asked.”

“What did you say?”

“Who the hell shook the room?”

“And?”

“The other guy pointed to that tall lanky idiot. He was smirking at me first before I grabbed the socks from the table and stuffed into his mouth.”

“Oh my god! Jessica Jung, what are you?!”

“I hate it when someone disturbed my sleep!”

“But we hardly know them! What if they are murderers or something?!”

“They are too dorky to be one.”

Taeyeon seemed relaxed. Jessica joined her. As usual, Tiffany was in her loud ing mode.

“They’re actually good looking.”

Jessica spoke up. Taeyeon stared at her.

“WHAT?!”

“Okay one of them is.”

Tiffany stood in front of them; the three ladies were glaring at each other. Suddenly the three of them shouted in unison.

“THE ONE WHO OPENED THE DOOR!”

They stared in disbelief. They started giggling especially Jessica and Tiffany.

“YOU THINK SO TOO?!”

“Yes, he’s hot. Did you see his body?”

“I don’t really like guys with such huge biceps but he has a warm smile.”

Taeyeon spoke up. The other two ladies were stunned.

“Wait, Kim Taeyeon the lesbian, has finally spoken something good about a guy.”

“Shut up, Tiffany. I’m a biual.”

“I was stunned when he opened the door but I was too medieval with the jerk that was making so much noise in such early hours.”

“What was his name again?”

Tiffany asked. And Jessica answered immediately.

“Yoong. I remember his name well. He has a nice voice too.”

“Oh boy, Jessica Jung remembers his name.”

“This is going to be interesting!”

“Shut up both of you!”

Jessica scoffed at them but her cheeks were crimson red. She was blushing.

“Jessica Jung, are you going to nail him?”

Jessica shrugged but a smile crept upon her lips.

“We shall see.”

The three ladies laughed.

-