Chapter 10

The Neighbours

Taeyeon was preparing for work when she heard the door bell rang.  The rest of the girls were still sleeping. 

“Yoong-shi?”

“Just call me Yoong will do.  Did I wake you up?”

“Uh no. Is there anything? Did Hyoyeon misbehave?”

“Haha, no. Hyoyeon’s fine. It’s just this. I wanted to pass you and the girls some breakfast.”

Yoong gave two huge packets of food to Taeyeon. She was surprised.

“You cooked?”

“Yul hyung did. He made some for the girls. So, have a good breakfast okay?”

“Thanks Yoong. Tell Yul the same thing.”

“Sure! Have a great day at work!”

Taeyeon didn’t really notice what Yoong was wearing until he smiled widely at her. He was in his boxers and sleeveless t-shirt once again. Taeyeon sniggered. Jessica missed again. Yoong went back to his apartment and Taeyeon closed the door behind her. Tiffany was just behind her.

“SHEESH!”

“Why are you smiling like that?”

“When did you come? Why couldn’t I hear anything?”

“I heard you talking to someone then I saw you at the door. So I quietly crept up to you.”

“You almost killed me!”

“But you didn’t. Who was that?”

“The boys next door made breakfast. Yoong came over to give us some.”

“Ooh, breakfast! We seldom have breakfast.”

“Those guys are really living a healthy lifestyle. Are you hungry?”

“It smells good!”

“Go and wash up or something. Wake up the Jungs as well. I’ll prepare the food.”

“Okay! SICA JUNG! KRYS JUNG! WAKE UP! WE HAVE BREAKFAST!!”

“SHUT UP HWANG!”

“UNNIE, I JUST DREAMT OF MEGAN FOX AND YOU RUINED IT!”

Taeyeon could only smile as she prepared the breakfast Yul has made for the girls.

-

“Yoong sent the food?”

“Yes.”

“He’s in his underwear?!”

“No, Sica. He wore boxers.”

“Half ?”

“Jessica, are you insane? That guy is the sweetest. He will not violate a woman’s eyes with his half body.”

“So he wore his sleeveless t-shirt again?”

Taeyeon nodded.

“ARGHHHHHHHHHHH! WHY DIDNT YOU WAKE ME UP?!”

“You know how you’re like when people wake you up when you’re sleeping?”

“If it’s Yoong, I would definitely stay awake!”

“Unnie, you’re insane.”

“Krystal, you can safely say that Yoong is going to be your future brother in law.”

“Awesomeee~!”

‘YA!”

Tiffany was ignoring her friends. She was eating the breakfast Yul prepared. She was surprised at how good it was.

“I’m so ashamed of myself.”

The girls turned to look at her.

“Why?”

Jessica asked.

“Besides Taeyeon, you and I are just hopeless in cooking. And yet the boys next door can cook so well.”

“You’re right. Yul’s breakfast is really good.”

“I heard from Soo Young, the boys have been staying on their own for the longest time. So they needed to learn how to cook to survive.”

Taeyeon explained.

“Kim Taeyeon, are you close with that Choi Soo Young?”

Jessica suddenly asked. Taeyeon was panicking.

“No~”

“Well, you seem to know a lot about the guys especially Choi Soo Young.”

“He’s a nice guy. I spent the whole day with him. I find him pleasantly easy-going.”

“I’m still so surprised that he’s 1/3 of the Choi brothers. He looks nothing like TOP or Minho.”

Tiffany nodded.

“And you, why did you have to mention pelvic veins?!”

Jessica smacked her sister’s forehead.

“Well, you went crazy over his pelvic veins!”

“Those are the veins where leads to their ahem, right?”

“Kim Taeyeon, you’re a doctor. How could you not know?!”

“I’m animal doctor! Not a human doctor!”

“But those are basic information!”

“Jessica Jung is just trying to shift the embarrassment to me. It’s not working. You’re still the ert girl who likes Choi Soo Young’s pelvic veins!”

“SHUT UP!”

Jessica threw a pillow at Taeyeon and the two of them were at it together. Tiffany and Krystal moved away; they were not going to get involved in this fight.

-

“Choi Soo Young, you’re wanted for dinner.”

“Urgh, who is this calling me so early in the morning?”

“This is your big brother, Choi Seunghyun!”

“Ah, hyung, what time is it?”

“It’s almost 12, you idiot. Where are you now?”

“Obviously, I’m at home.”

“You’re not going over to your studio?”

“No, I’m on leave.”

“You lazy . Mom’s expecting you home for dinner.”

“What? Why?”

“I have no idea. Can you just come over?”

“Fine, what time?”

“7pm. Bring a date if you can.”

“What?”

“Dad wants to know if you’re back in the dating game after Hyorin’s disaster. If you don’t bring a girl, he’s going to introduce his secretary to you.”

“NO WAY!”

“So bring a girl to save your . I’ll see you tonight.”

“Hyung! Hyung!”

His brother has hung up. Soo Young groaned before sitting up. His family enjoys torturing him like this; making him does things against his will.

“How the hell am I supposed to find a date now?!”

Soo Young was a little frustrated. This was insane.

-

Hyoyeon was eating his breakfast with J-Hope and Yoong. Soo Young walked out of the room; looking a little more disgruntled than usual. Yoong knew that look.

“Top hyung called you?”

“Mm.”

“What does he want?”

“My parents want me to date or they threaten to pair me up with some girl.”

“Oh awesome; arranged marriage.”

“Not funny. I have to find a girl to pretend to be my girlfriend.”

“Is there a need? Maybe the girl they have in mind is a nice girl.”

“I only date girls with good singing voice.”

Yoong rolled his eyes.

“You and your stupid criteria. Stop being a jerk and date a nice girl.”

“Shut up; you don’t know about my life as a producer. I need to hear good voice to get inspiration.”

“You know, you’re always full of rubbish.”

Yul placed the plate of breakfast in front of Soo Young. His eyes widen.

“FOOD!”

Soo Young literally pounced onto the plate of food; the new boys were shocked.

“Oh my god, look at him!”

“Yoong hyung, is this how he is?”

“Yes, you boys have to get used with this 3dimensional hyung. His mood changes like nobody business.”

“Shut up. I’ll eat in peace thank you.”

“Yeah, and you have to hurry to find a girl to be your pretentious girlfriend.”

“Urghh~ Fine~ stop reminding me!”

The boys laughed at Soo Young.

-

Taeyeon was about to drive off when she saw Soo Young standing at the side of the road; probably waiting for a cab. He looked troubled and Taeyeon drove up to him. She stopped at the bus stop. Soo Young was already checking her out.

“Taeyeon?”

“Where are you going?”

“I’m going to find a girl.”

Taeyeon stared at him in disbelief.

“No, I was kidding. I’m just going somewhere to find some solutions to my problems.”

“You’re seriously a dork sometimes. Get in; I’ll give you a lift. It’s difficult to find a cab now.”

“Thanks!”

Soo Young got in and Taeyeon drove off. Soo Young was impressed with her ride.

“Wow, BMW.”

“Yes, it’s a girl’s car.”

“Yeah, I can see that.”

“Where’s Hyoyeon?”

“He followed Yoong with J-Hope. They wanted to see Yoong’s training session.”

“Oh. Is he giving you troubles?”

“Nah, I think your brother’s perfectly fine.”

Taeyeon drove in silence; Soo Young was in his deep thoughts. He was still wondering where he could find a girl at a very short notice. He was frustrated. And Taeyeon could sense it.

“Somebody’s annoyed.”

“Huh?”

“What’s with the frown?”

“Ah, these?”

Soo Young pointed to his eyebrows. Taeyeon was tickled.

“I’m supposed to go home for dinner.”

“And why does that seem so stressful for you?”

“You have no idea how critical my parents could be.”

“You have bad blood with your family?”

“Not really but they just cannot wait to see me back in the dating game. Both of my brothers are celebrities so girls flock to them so easily.”

“They don’t notice you?”

“No, I have high standards for my girl.”

Taeyeon smiled.

“Typical of guys I would say.”

“No, it’s part of my job!”

“What kind of standards do you have?”

“The girl must have a good voice.”

“That’s your criteria?”

“Please don’t judge me, Taeyeon shi. I’m a producer so I’m very sensitive to sounds.”

“Ah, you’re a professional with a screwed up standards.”

“You can say that.”

Taeyeon was greatly amused now. Soo Young’s humour is funny in a weird way. Then suddenly Soo Young focused his gaze at her. She could feel him watching her silently and it made her uncomfortable. Her heart was pumping like mad.

“Say, what time do you knock off today?”

“6? Why?”

“Can you do something for me?”

“What?”

“Can you be my girlfriend for a day?”

Taeyeon did a abrupt jam-brake which sent both of them flying to the front. Soo Young’s face was stuck onto the rear mirror.

“What?!”

“Wow, that’s a major reaction.”

Soo Young’s right cheek was red; he hit the mirror quite hard.

“No, wait. Seriously, what the hell did you just ask me?”

“I know I asked the stupidest question but I just hope you could help me.”

Taeyeon frowned.

“If you don’t want it, you can just turn me down. I was just asking.”

“So you want me to pretend to be your girlfriend for just a day?”

“Yes! Just one day! I swear my parents will love you.”

“Do you want your parents to love me?”

“Why not?”

“Wouldn’t that complicate matters?”

“Oh, that’s right. Let’s worry about that later. So how?”

“Are you asking me because you paid for my groceries?”

“What? No! I’m just desperate now!”

“Fine, I’ll let you rent me for one day.”

Soo Young’s face glowed immediately.

“OH MY GOD! TAEYEON-SHI! YOU SAVED MY !”

“YA! I’M DRIVING!”

“LET ME DRIVE!”

“NO WAY! THIS IS MY CAR!”

“BUT I’M YOUR PRETENTIOUS BOYFRIEND!”

“THAT DOESNT MEAN YOU CAN DRIVE MY CAR!”

“Oh, there’s no such privilege?”

“SHUT UP!”

Taeyeon regretted somehow. Soo Young was driving her crazy.

-

Tiffany was busy in her office. Suho came around and passed some files that she wanted from a certain case. He knocked on her table; trying to get her attention.

“You can put the files here, Suho.”

“Well, I wanted to but I don’t think I can make your guest wait for you.”

“Guest?”

“There’s this guy outside. I think he’s one of the Kwons.”

“Huh?”

“Why don’t you just see him?”

Suho dropped the files on Tiffany’s table before winking at his older sister. Tiffany rolled her eyes but nevertheless followed Suho to the front door. Someone was indeed waiting for her. She was puzzled.

“Yul?”

Yul turned immediately; he was in polo tee and jeans. He looked simple yet there was a certain charm in him that Tiffany couldn’t put into words.

“Tiffany, I’m sorry for bothering you.”

“No, not at all. What are you doing here?”

Yul was staring at her; he had a lot of things on his mind but he couldn’t find the words. He was always shy with girls and Tiffany was no exception.

“I was just around the vicinity. It’s close to 1pm soon and I thought if you wanted to eat lunch with me. Yoong bailed on me and I have no idea where Soo Young went. I realized I was nearby your office so I wondered if you would want to eat with me.”

“Oh, it’s lunch time already?”

“You didn’t realize?”

“I used to work my off. I don’t really keep track of time unless it’s for my court case.”

“Woah, that’s unhealthy. Why don’t you grab your stuff and I’ll buy you lunch? I’m hungry.”

Yul was caressing his stomach hoping Tiffany would go with him. The lady chuckled softly and agreed. She took her stuff and left with Yul. Suho was watching them.

“Noona’s dating again?”

He wasn’t the only one watching; someone else was watching from his room.

“Tiffany’s seeing someone new?”

-

Yoong dropped Hyoyeon and J-Hope at the nearby mall. The boys wanted to catch a movie and Krystal was already waiting for them. He needed to do something about his hunger. He rather eat than to watch a movie. So he left them at the cinema and went on his way.

Yoong’s knuckles were hurting quite badly. He was in training and his trainer had pushed him to the extreme limit. Hyoyeon and J-Hope were flabbergasted at the kind of training Yoong went through. He pulled his hand into a fist and it hurt considerably a lot. He winced and slowly stretched out his fingers; much to his dismay. They hurt like hell.

“God, what was in that punching bag?”

He swore he felt like his knuckles could break when he gave a punch. His trainer might have put something inside that thing. He was massaging his fingers when he saw Yul with a lady; having lunch together inside the restaurant ahead of him. He frowned as he was trying to figure the lady out.

“Hyung’s dating?”

He mumbled. He felt a little betrayed that Yul didn’t tell him anything. He knew Yul likes a girl but he has never mentioned about her to him.

“I must find out who’s that girl!”

He was about to walk over when someone bumped into him. Wait, that person literally rammed her trolley into him.

“Oh my god, I’m sorry! I didn’t mean it to!”

Yoong shook his head.

“It’s alright. I’m not hurt.”

“My boss is going to kill me!”

“Your boss?”

“LUNA! DID YOU BUMP INTO PEOPLE AGAIN?!”

“MISS JUNG, I WAS IN A HURRY!”

“I TOLD YOU TO JUST PLACE THE TROLLEY WITH ME!”

“It’s too heavy for you to push it around.”

“I can wait for you here.”

Yoong watched as the frantic lady in front of him was trying to push the trolley out of the way. He helped her.

“I’ll help you.”

“Thanks, Sir! I’m sorry!”

“It’s okay, I’m not hurt.”

“My boss is going to kill me!”

“Your boss? Why would she?”

“She’s coming!”

Yoong turned to find a familiar lady walking towards them. He grinned as the lady was stunned to find the familiar face smiling at him.

“Hey!”

The lady stopped.

“Yoong-shi?”

“Call me Yoong. I feel so old with you calling me like that.”

“Okay, but are you alright?”

“I’m fine. I wasn’t looking and bumped into her.”

Jessica smiled and nodded. She then turned to Luna who was hyperventilating since just now. She held the girl’s hands.

“Luna, calm down.”

“I just hit someone!”

“He’s fine.”

“You sure?”

“Yes, I’m very sure that he is. Why don’t you go back to office and calm yourself down? Remember where I put the medicine?”

“Yes.”

“Take one pill and rest. I’ll be back shortly.”

Luna was about to push the trolley again but Jessica stopped her.

“I’ll take this. You just go back and rest.”

“Yes Miss Jung. I’ll go now.”

Jessica nodded and the girl bowed slightly at Yoong. Yoong returned it with a slight bow. Luna ran off after that. Jessica shook her head and Yoong was confused.

“Is she always like that?”

“She’s actually my patient. But she needs a job. She has recovered but recently something happened to her. It triggered her memory.”

“Wait, what patient?”

“Luna’s my patient. I employed her to help me out in the clinic.”

“You’re a doctor?”

Jessica nodded.

“I’m a psychiatrist.”

“Ah, that’s really cool! So Luna’s your patient and employee.

“Yes, she is. She has improved a lot.”

“She looks panicky.”

“She has anxiety disorder. She’s terrified of people scolding her. But she has recovered so maybe she was in a shock when she bumped into you.”

“She bumps into people all the time?”

“Yeah, she’s petite and short. But she always tries to out-do herself. So she bumps into people while carrying bulky items or for this case, pushing a trolley with so many things.”

Yoong nodded and then took Jessica’s trolley. He pushed it for her; Jessica was surprised at first.

“Are you hungry?”

“Yes, a little.”

“Let’s eat something. I have something to spy on.”

“Huh?”

“Let’s go. You’ll enjoy this.”

Yoong pulled Jessica along with him; leaving Jessica flabbergasted. They soon stood outside a restaurant and Yoong saw Yul with Tiffany. He grinned. He nudged Jessica in her arm.

“What?”

“Look!”

Jessica looked on and she was surprised to find Tiffany laughing happily with Yul.

“Wait, is that..?”

“Yeah, that’s Tiffany and Yul.”

“Why are they together?”

“Beats me. I just happened to see them here and was about to ambush then when your assistant rammed the trolley into me.”

“So you’re going to ambush them now?”

“No, let’s eat something – just you and me. I’m famished.”

“Okay, so where are we sitting?”

Yoong chose the one closest to the other couple but somehow cleverly hidden from the other couple’s view. Yoong could see them while Jessica was facing Yoong. She carefully looked at the young man in front of her. He had the cheeky grin on his face.

“So, my dear, is there something you want to eat? Or wait, you cannot take cucumbers.”

“Yes, you remember?”

“Of course, things like that you must remember. I don’t want you to get sick and uncomfortable while eating. So what would you like? Beef bulgogi?”

Jessica looked on as Yoong listed down all the meat dishes. She wondered if this guy was really attentive or he likes her as well. He was too comfortable to be with and he seemed to know her well.

“So, beef bulgogi?”

“Yes, that will be great.”

“Okay then. I’ve ordered.”

“Yoong-shi, thanks.”

“Stop calling me Yoong-shi. Just call me Yoong.”

“You can call me Jessica.”

“Okay, Jessica.”

God, Yoong’s voice was so deep and y. Jessica’s insides were churning again.

“Can I ask you something, Jessica?”

“Yes, what is it?”

Yoong burrowed his eyebrows together and then smiled.

“Are you seeing anyone?”

“Who?”

“You.”

“Oh, I’m not seeing anyone.”

Yoong’s mouth was wide open. Jessica was amused.

“What’s with the big mouth?”

“ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!”

“No, I’m serious! I’m not seeing anyone now.”

“WHY?!”

“What do you mean by why?”

Jessica was giggling softly when Yoong gave her that questioning look.

“Are you gay?”

“I used to be.”

“O.O”

“Stop doing that!”

“I look cute eh?”

Jessica rolled her eyes but she kept a smiling face.

“Are you surprised that I’m not seeing anyone?”

“You’re such a hottie. How could you not be seeing anyone?”

“That same goes to you.”

“Well I have valid reasons.”

Jessica was laughing away. Yoong’s funny in his own style.

“I have valid reasons too.”

“Oh? What is it?”

“I haven’t found my Mr Right just as yet.”

“Ahh, so you’re looking for the right one?”

The food came; and Yoong carefully placed Jessica’s dish in front of her. He even helped Jessica with the chopsticks. He was extremely attentive.

“Wait, I saw cucumbers.”

Yoong carefully scooped out the cucumbers from her plate and put them onto his.

“There, you can eat now.”

“Thanks Yoong.”

“It’s my pleasure.”

Yoong then gobbled his food; much to Jessica’s amusement. She could enjoy this all the time; Yoong’s not only attentive but he’s such an adorable delicious hunk that Jessica couldn’t take her eyes off him.

They had so much fun that they had forgotten about Yul and Tiffany. The other couple has already left the restaurant.

-

Tiffany walked with Yul side by side. They were just moving from one shop to another. They had lunch and Yul wasn’t talking much. Tiffany was the one who did most of the talking. Yul was listening carefully.

“I’m sorry.”

Tiffany was taken aback when Yul apologised. He was placing his hands together; clutching them tightly. He was nervous. And Tiffany wondered why.

“What’s wrong, Yul? Why did you apologize?”

“I know you were bored of me. You did most of the talking. I could only listen.”

“Huh?”

“I’m not really a talkative person. And I’m introvert. I just don’t know how to start a conversation.”

Tiffany smiled. She chuckled softly.

“You already did. You started a conversation with me now.”

“I feel stupid. I asked you out for lunch and you spent the time talking to me. I wanted to get rid of this shell I’ve been hiding inside all this while.”

“Oh? You wanted to strike up a conversation with a lady?”

Yul was apologetic.

“We had a good time at dinner at my place. But there were other people. So I tried to have lunch with you alone and my theory was right. I just couldn’t be with a lady alone.”

Tiffany was surprised at Yul’s revelation. She bit her lower lip before speaking up again.

“Yul, you need my help?”

“Huh?”

“I can help you to get over this issue you have. You’re doing this because you have a girl in mind right?”

Yul was aghast.

“How did you know?”

Tiffany giggled.

“You’re moving yourself out from your comfort zone. This girl must have meant a lot to you.”

“I’m not sure if she is but I really want to have a normal conversation with her without feeling awkward.”

“I’ll help you, Yul.”

“You will?”

“Yeah, we’re friends, right?”

Yul nodded.

“Then let me help you.”

“Thanks Tiffany!”

Yul leaned closer and Tiffany was putting her hand out but instead of grabbing it, Yul hugged her instead. Tiffany was surprised but soon placed her arms around him as well.

“You’re so cute, Kwon Yul. That girl is really lucky to have your love.”

Tiffany whispered in her heart.

-

“Where’s your brother?”

TOP was sitting at the dining table; with Minho and his mother. He brought his girlfriend, Sandara over to their place. His father was sitting facing them.

“He should be here soon.”

“Did you tell him?”

“Yes, father. I did.”

The Chois were always prim and proper. The boys were raised by the rod but only Soo Young dared to rebel against his father. He has never liked the way his father raised them. His mother had no say in anything and she was subdued too easily. He wasn’t going to be like that too.

“I’m home.”

Soo Young finally reached. Minho got up on his feet and ran towards his hyung. He jumped on him and Soo Young tackled him to the ground. Both brothers were close.

“Hyung!”

“Wow, you’re getting stronger.”

“What’s with the hair?”

“I’m just too lazy to cut it.”

“Dad’s pissed. You’re late!”

“Oh come on, I have to pick up my date. She has work!”

“Date?”

Minho peered over Soo Young’s shoulder and saw a petite lady standing awkwardly behind him. He grinned at Soo Young.

“Where did you get her from?”

“She’s my neighbour and don’t make her sound like she’s a e or something. She’s a doctor mind you.”

Minho was surprised but nevertheless greeted the lady properly.

“Hi, I’m Choi Minho.”

He stretched his hand out and the lady took it.

“I’m Taeyeon.”

“Wow, you have a nice name. My brother’s lucky to be dating you. If not, I might date you instead.”

“YA! Stop hitting on my girl the moment I brought her home.”

Soo Young stood in front of Taeyeon and flicked his finger at Minho’s forehead. The boy was just teasing but Taeyeon’s face was completely red. Soo Young took her hand.

“Ignore him, Taeyeon. He’s a jerk just like me.”

“We’re of feathers from the same flock of birds.”

“Shut up. Let’s go in before Dad screams.”

Soo Young pulled Taeyeon behind her. He was careful with her; making sure that she got up the stairs carefully. He went into the kitchen; everybody was watching him including his father. His mother quickly stood up and hugged him tightly.

“Youngie~”

“Omma~”

“You’ve grown thinner again!”

“Omma, I’m fine. Don’t worry about me. I’m sorry I’m late. My girlfriend’s working so I had to pick her up.”

“Your girlfriend’s working?”

Soo Young’s father finally spoke up. Taeyeon could see the sharp glare that the old man was giving Soo Young but the younger Choi just ignored him.

“Yes father. She’s working.”

“At least she’s working unlike you. You’re just waiting your surname as a Choi.”

Taeyeon was taken aback but Soo Young shrugged it off.

“Well, at least I’m living on my own. Surviving on my own money; and nothing from you. You should be lucky that I’m still coming home for dinner.”

Taeyeon finally realized that was a bad blood between Soo Young and his father. She saw TOP pulling Soo Young away from their father and sat him down beside him. Taeyeon took her place beside Soo Young.

“I’m sorry, I don’t know your name.”

Mrs Choi was so polite and gentle. Taeyeon nodded.

“My name is Kim Taeyeon. You can call me Taeyeon.”

“Oh, that’s a sweet name.”

“Thanks Omoni.”

Dinner went on smoothly. Soo Young was avoiding his father. He talked to everyone in the family except for the older Choi. Mrs Choi adores Taeyeon a lot. She felt good to see Soo Young dating someone nice like Taeyeon.

“Soo Young, she’s beautiful.”

Taeyeon overheard Soo Young’s mom talking to him.

“You like her, Mom?”

“Of course, I do.”

“You think she’s good for me?”

“She’s perfect for you. Even your father is acknowledging it.”

“What? Dad approves her?”

“Soo Young, your dad worries about you. Your relationship with Hyorin changed you into someone different. Your father was worried when you didn’t eat for days.”

Taeyeon continued listening.

“Hyorin is just one mistake. He didn’t have to be hard on me. I just don’t like the way he decided that he was right and the way he raised us was perfect.”

“Soo Young, your brothers are not complaining.”

“Well, they don’t have the reason to. TOP is pretty much in his own dimension. Minho hardly communicates with Appa.”

“Soo Young, you’re going to be angry at him for the longest time?”

Soo Young looked away.

“Your father has reasons for doing what he’s doing. He has painstakingly raised that company on his own; giving the best he had in him so that he could provide for us. Without his hard work, we wouldn’t be living in such luxurious house.”

“I don’t need him to give us material things. I just wanted him to love us like how other fathers did. Look at Yul’s father. He’s rich too. But he loves Yul and he shows it openly.”

“Yul’s mother passed away when he was just a little boy. Yul’s father is protective of him.”

“Maybe I’m asking for a lot but I really miss the old Appa. I rather we’d be poor but we would be living happily.”

Taeyeon started to understand Soo Young a little bit. She understood why Soo Young was so reluctant to talk about his family when he picked her up earlier on.

“What am I supposed to say to them?”

“Just say hi and answer their questions like a teacher-student style.”

“Huh?”

“My father is the patriarch in the family. You just need to answer his questions accordingly.”

“Okay.”

“If things get weird, I’ll help you.”

“Okay.”

Soo Young was awfully quiet and Taeyeon was uncomfortable. But it didn’t take long.

“I’m sorry. I’m just tense.”

Taeyeon turned to look at Soo Young.

“I don’t really like family gatherings. I feel like I’m the black sheep of the family.”

“Huh? Why did you say that?”

“You will understand when we reach there. Don’t worry; I’ll protect you.”

-