Chapter 33

The Neighbours

Taeyeon sat at the end of the bench while Soo Young took the other end. The two of them were outside of the hotel; sitting facing the lake. The moonlight beamed on the surface of the lake; created the image of a blurry moon as there were tiny ripples of wave. Taeyeon threw a pebble earlier on that caused the ripple effect.

The silence was killing both of them – Taeyeon kept wondering why Soo Young was here and Soo Young’s tongue suddenly got tied up. He wasn’t too sure what to say or how he was going to explain himself. He kept hitting his forehead with his fist.

“What the hell am I supposed to say now?”

He cursed under his breath. He stole some glances at Taeyeon who was busy searching for pebbles to throw into the lake. Her tongue was sticking out and Soo Young though she was incredibly cute. The girl suddenly turned and their eyes met. Both looked away; awkwardly.

“What are you doing here, Soo Young?”

Taeyeon finally spoke up. Soo Young grabbed the hem of his pants tightly; his voice miraculously refused to cooperate with him.

“Soo Young?”

The man was struggling with his inner self when he spotted an injured squirrel at the bottom of the tree. He quickly ran towards it and picked it up gently. Taeyeon was surprised at first but when she finally realized what Soo Young had in his hands; she rushed forward towards him as well.

“Where did you find it?”

“It was sitting down at the bottom of the tree. I think the leg is injured.”

“Yes it is. Quick, come upstairs. I have a first aid kit in my room.”

“Okay.”

The two of them went up to Taeyeon’s room. Sunmi wasn’t in; she was probably enjoying the buffet at the ballroom. Soo Young cradled the injured animal in his hands while sitting at the edge of the bed.  Taeyeon took out her jacket and threw it on the sofa. Soo Young caught sight of her cleavage and his face turned red instantly. 

“Here, use this to hold it. It’s a wild animal so you might want to be careful. Use gloves as well.”

Soo Young avoided looking directly at Taeyeon. Since the girl was shorter than him so her chest was directly at his eye level. He finally noticed Taeyeon’s physical attributes and he was surprised at how well-developed s she has.  He placed the squirrel on the cloth and settled him down on the table which Taeyeon has just turned into a makeshift operating table.

She was quick to change out her evening gown into a t-shirt. Soo Young sighed in relief.

“What?”

“Uh, nothing.”

“Do you want to help me?”

“Sure, what should I do?”

“It’s bleeding a lot so it might need to be on drip. Can you hold this up for me?”

Soo Young reached out for it and accidentally grabbed Taeyeon’s fist instead. He retracted his hand carefully but Taeyeon remained unnerved. She was more concerned about the injured squirrel. So Soo Young took it back and stood next to her.

“He has a wound.”

“What kind of wound?”

“A bullet wound.”

“Seriously!?”

Soo Young leaned closer and saw the bullet stuck to the poor thing.

“It’s a pellet. Someone must have tried to shoot it down.”

“Aw, your poor thing. It must have hurt a lot.”

Soo Young gently caressed the tip of squirrel’s head. The animal remained motionless. It must have hurt pretty a lot.

“Do you need to operate on it?”

“No, I just need to remove it. This will help to numb the pain for awhile.”

Taeyeon was extremely gentle as she stuck in the needle into its leg. The little guy jerked but Soo Young was quick to soothe it.

“Hush now, it’s going to prick a little. You’ll get better soon.”

Taeyeon smiled when she witnessed how gentle Soo Young was towards the animal. It reminded her of those moments they shared at her clinic when he offered to stand in for Sunmi. She misses those moments.

It took Taeyeon 15 minutes before she was able to remove the pellet. She quickly cleaned up the wound and stitched up the poor thing. But Soo Young was a great help. He was even singing to the squirrel and the animal was responding to him.

“Squirry is listening to me.”

Taeyeon looked up; with confused eyes.

“Squirry?”

Soo Young pointed to the squirrel.

“Ah, I see. Yeah, it seems to be enjoying your company.”

“Is it a female or male?”

Taeyeon lifted it up gently.

“It’s a male.”

“Oh, I saw it – the little tushie.”

Taeyeon chuckled softly. Soo Young managed a quick smile and stuck out his tongue. The pair was slowly warming to each other again. Taeyeon put on the bandage around the squirrel and Soo Young carried it in his arms.

“Squirry needs a place to stay. He needs to recuperate.”

Taeyeon was washing her hands as she spoke. Soo Young was staring at the squirrel.

“So what do you suggest?”

“We cannot let him stay here. This is a hotel.”

“Why not, I don’t think he can escape with the injured leg.”

Taeyeon knew that look.

“You’re going to keep it here, aren’t you?”

“I will let him stay with me.”

“Soo Young, are you sure about this? The management might kick you out if they know you keep pets here.”

“This is not a pet. It’s a wild animal that’s injured and needs tender loving care.”

Soo Young was determined and Taeyeon couldn’t say anything much. In fact, she decided to help him out.

“He’s asleep. Let’s put him here. I need to get proper bedding for him.”

“What do you mean?”

“I need to look for a basket to put settle him down comfortably. Are you tired?”

“No, not really.”

“You’re not going back to the conference?”

“Nah, it’s too boring. I’ll go with you.”

“Okay!”

Soo Young was thrilled when Taeyeon was joining him. For the whole trip, he enjoyed this moment the most.

-

Jessica was bored to death. Her sister was busy with her examinations and J-Hope was busy with something which she still hasn’t found out.

“What is this boy busy with?”

She dialled for his number and the brother answered instantly.

“Noona!”

“Where the heck are you?”

“I’m in school.”

“Are you free now?”

“I’ve just ended.”

“Can I meet you now?”

“Sure, where?”

“I’ll send you a message later. I’ll see you in half an hour.”

“Okay!”

Jessica got changed and took her bag. She was on leave today. And Yoong was busy with his championships. The couple has not seen each other often lately.  But nevertheless, Yoong made an effort to at least stay over at her place. It was enough for Jessica because Yoong often looked exhausted each time he slept over.

So she left him a message telling where she would be. She always did that to inform Yoong of her whereabouts. Seconds later, the boyfriend replied. Jessica smiled widely.

Alright, be careful baby. I miss you. I might end training early today. I’ll find you at the restaurant later, okay?

That’s Im Yoong for her. He would always try to make an effort to meet her which she really appreciates. She replied him before leaving the house. Then she drove off to the restaurant to meet her brother.

Jessica reached first; J-Hope came shortly after. He was in his jeans and sleeveless t-shirt. Suddenly Jessica noticed his well-built body. She was surprised.

“Someone has been working out.”

“Hi Noona.”

“What have you been doing?”

J-Hope put his bag down and Jessica gave him the menu. He took his orders and sat there; smiling at his sister.

“Am I your stand in boyfie?”

“What’s a boyfie?”

“Boyfriend?”

“You’re my little baby brother.”

“Noona, I’m 21 now. Stop calling me baby!”

“What did I tell you before?”

J-Hope pouted his lips and Jessica gave him a smirk. Their drinks came first and J-Hope immediately latched his mouth to the straw. Jessica watched as he his Coke effortlessly.

“Why are you drinking so fast? Are you that thirsty?”

“You have no idea. I’m dehydrated.”

“J, you haven’t told me what you’re doing in Korea.”

J-Hope stared at his sister; he was chewing onto the straw nervously now. He has put off telling Jessica the truth because he was afraid. But now, his older sister has demanded for the truth – he was contemplated whether he should lie or tell her truth.

“J, Daddy said you have something to tell me. What are you hiding from me?”

“What did he tell you?”

“He said you’re here with Krystal to study. I’ve seen Krystal’s school but I haven’t heard of yours. What are you studying now?”

“Noona, do you believe in me?”

“What are you talking about?”

“I know you work hard to help Dad with our household finances. And I know you’ve always wanted me to complete my studies at the university.”

“Yes, I did. You’re still studying in that university, right?”

J-Hope bit his lower lip. He wasn’t too sure how Jessica would react if he told her the truth.

“J, you’re looking really nervous now. Is there something I should know?”

“Noona, you have to promise me that you’ll remain calm.”

Jessica was surprised.

“What is it?”

“I’m here because I was talent scouted by one of the agents from this company. They want me to train under them so that I could prepare myself to be a member of a new male idol group.”

Jessica was stunned.

-

“You quit school because of that?!”

“Noona, you know my dream is to be an entertainer. I was given this chance! I cannot give it up.”

“I put you through that university so that you can have a proper education. You know how difficult for me to get you into that school?”

“I know; and I’m really sorry. But I’m not a schooling material. I kept failing my subjects and I think I’m wasting your time and money if I continue to study there.”

“So you think becoming an idol can give you all the wealth?!”

“At least I can provide for you and our family.”

“Being an idol means a lot of sacrifices. You know that, don’t you?”

“I know that well. I just wanted to prove to you that this is my calling. Noona, I’m not afraid to tell Mom and Dad about my dreams but I’m so scared to let you know.”

“J, are you sure this is what you want? I’m certainly not approving this!”

“Please give me a chance, Noona. I’ll prove to you that I’ll succeed in this industry.”

“It’s too tough for you, J.”

“You taught me before. If I believe in myself, I can succeed. And if I have a goal or a dream, I must work hard to achieve it. I’m doing that, Noona.”

“Is this the reason why you kept coming home late for the past few months?”

J-Hope nodded.

“Can you put your trust in me, Noona? I promise I’ll work really hard and prove to you that I will succeed in my choice of career.”

“So you really quit school?”

“No, I completed my college. But you needed to go on to University to complete to a degree certification. I only have a post-graduate certificate.”

“I don’t know, J.”

“Please, Noona. I’ll do well.”

Jessica relented. She didn’t have much choice because J-Hope was determined to work hard for his choice of career. She was just worried that the entertainment industry would kill his confidence.  But her baby brother was serious. Jessica has never J-Hope having so much determination in his life. She decided to give him the benefit of doubt.

She was sitting there quietly; sipping her ice tea when someone patted her back. She turned to find her prince charming smiling widely at her. She gave him a grin.

“You waited long?”

“No, J-Hope just left 10 minutes ago.”

“So, did you find out?”

“He’s training to be a singer.”

“I know.”

Yoong answered nonchalantly. He took his orders; he didn’t notice his girlfriend was staring at him. He looked up.

“Why are you looking at me like that?”

“You knew what he has been doing?”

“Yes, he told me before.”

“Why didn’t you tell me?”

Yoong was frowning away before realizing his girlfriend was frustrated over something.

“He’s your brother. I think it should be best for him to tell you. What’s wrong?”

“I’m worried for him.”

“His health?”

“No, it’s not easy to be a singer. He has to face so many criticisms and he’s always public’s eye.”

Yoong nodded.

“Well, there are always pros and cons in any career choices that we make. I’m sure J-Hope has weighed out all the pros and cons before deciding that this is something he wants to do.”

“You did it too, right?”

“Hmm?”

“You probably made painful decisions before you took one last step as a professional boxer.”

“You know half of the story.”

“You still went ahead despite your mother’s disapproval?”

Yoong’s drink came and he quickly took a sip. Jessica chuckled softly at the similarities between her boyfriend and her brother – both are little chodings.

“I was squeezed between my late father’s legacy and my filial piety towards my mother. I know my father would like me to continue his legacy but I don’t know why my mom hates it so much.”

Jessica bit her lower lip. She knew the truth and sometimes she felt guilty for hiding it from Yoong. However Mrs Im doesn’t want her son to know the truth – it would break Yoong further.

“You’re not mad at your mom, right?”

“No, I can never be mad with her. Dad’s death was caused by boxing. She lost her husband. You know, my mom is so much younger than my father.”

Jessica was aware of that but she pretended like she didn’t.

“Oh, really?”

“Yes, Mom is 10 years odd younger than my father. Well, my parents were not as loving as most parents out there; they were always arguing over his job and there was always shortage of money at home. Do you know, Mom got pregnant a couple of times but she chose to abort them? She said she couldn’t even afford to raise me up properly; let alone having more children.”

Jessica was shocked. Mrs Im has never told her about this. It must have been painful for Mrs Im.

“Mom loves me a lot. I know that. But she’s just so unhappy that I chose to follow my late father. I wished I could tell her that I’d be different.”

“If she wants you to quit, will you do it?”

“I have always wanted to but each time I thought of my late father and my promise with him, I just couldn’t give it up.”

Yoong suddenly kept his silence. He must have sudden memories of his painful past. Jessica could see it written all over his face – his hardships that he faced; the pain he felt and maybe the loneliness he went through because his mother was angry with him.

She leaned forward and caressed his cheeks with her palms.

“Baby, I know you must have gone through so much when you were younger. But I’m here for you, baby, you’re not going to be alone this time. I’m going to stay with you.”

Yoong stared deep into her eyes; Jessica was taken aback to see tears b in his eyes. She stood up and went over to his side. She kissed him on his forehead.

“Don’t cry, baby. I love you.”

“I love you too, Jessica.”

-

Tiffany and Yul finally reached US after the long flight. They were planning to bring Mason home. Yul was nervous but Tiffany was looking forward to meet her baby boy. She misses him.

“You’re nervous, aren’t you?”

Yul nodded. Tiffany gripped his hand tightly.

“Mason will love you.”

“I don’t know if I’ll make a good Daddy, Fany.”

“Baby, you don’t have to worry about that. You’re a perfect man to me.”

“You’re thinking so highly of me.”

“I fell in love with you because you’re Yul. You’re not perfect; nobody is, Yul but you’re the best in my eyes. And I love you so much. You don’t have to worry about Mason. He will learn to love you.”

Yul smiled widely. He pulled Tiffany closer to him and hugged her tightly.

“Let’s go and meet Mason.”

Tiffany nodded. The couple hailed a cab and Tiffany directed the driver to her uncle’s place. Yul has bought many gifts and most of them were toys. Tiffany rolled her eyes when she saw the number of gifts he had in his hands.

“Baby, are you sure all these are for Mason?”

“Yes, they are.”

“You’re spoiling him.”

“Not really, I can play these with him.”

He was showing Tiffany the automated helicopters and planes that cost him thousand over dollars. He was eager to share these toys with Mason.

“Mason’s only 5 years old.”

“Trust me, the boy will enjoy this!”

“Yes, and I’m not talking about just one boy – I’m going to see two boys instead.”

Yul knew Tiffany was referring him as the second boy. He stuck his tongue out and stared at the helicopter in his hands. He was fascinated with the specifications. Tiffany gave up.

They finally reached his uncle’s place and he could see a little boy waited at the front entrance. He was smiling so widely and Yul immediately knew who the boy was.

“MOMMMY!!”

He was screaming for his mother. Tiffany quickly got out from the cap and ran towards her beloved boy. She picked him up as he squealed in delight.

“Mason!”

She planted so many kisses all over him and the boy was clearly enjoying them. Yul paid for the cab and took out the luggage himself. He smiled when he saw Tiffany hugging Mason so tightly in her arms. She must have missed him so much.

Mason suddenly looked up and saw a stranger smiling at them. He turned to Tiffany.

“Mommy, there’s a man. Who is he?”

Tiffany put Mason down and held his hand. She then walked towards Yul with Mason tagging behind her. He hid behind her as he was feeling shy. Tiffany smiled as Yul knelt down in front of Mason.

“Hi Mason.”

The boy hid his face.

“Mason, this is Uncle Yul. He’s my boyfriend.”

“He’s your boyfriend? Is he my Daddy?”

Tiffany was about to answer when Yul stopped her. He then put his hands out; urging the boy to come forward. Mason slowly and gradually came out from his hiding place. He stood in front of Yul.

“I’m not your Daddy but I would love to be one because I’m going to marry your Mommy one day. I want Mason to come home and live with Mommy and me.”

“Is that okay?”

“I’m fine with it. How does Mason feel about it?”

“I don’t know. I will follow Mommy.”

Mason was a little apprehensive. Yul tried to reach out to him but Mason pulled back. Tiffany was worried but Yul wasn’t discouraged. He just smiled before pulling something from his bag.

“Mommy doesn’t tell me what Mason likes to play. So I bought this. You like helicopters?”

Mason’s eyes grew larger. Yul knew the boy was hooked. He was eyeing the gift Yul was holding on to.

“Do you want to play with this?”

“Can I?”

“Yes but you must do something for me.”

“Huh?”

Yul stretched out his arms and smiled at Mason.

“Can I get a hug from Mason?”

“That’s all?”

“Yes, I just need a hug from Mason.”

And the boy cautiously came forward and wrapped his tiny arms around Yul. Tiffany’s eyes were filled with tears. Yul was great with Mason. He gave the helicopter to Mason as promised but the boy insisted to play with him.

“Show me how to play with it!”

“Sure, let me put down my bag.”

“Okay!”

And there they were; Tiffany’s two boys playing together.

-